IGNORED

Best or Biggest Game You've Had To Miss

CyderInACan

During that amazing summer of 1996 when football was coming home, on the morning of the England v. Scotland game, I was also coming home, albeit it in a police car with a mate of mine after we'd got utterly annihilated at our football club's (Old Cots, if you're interested) End of Season Dinner. 

The place we'd used for the bash was our usual post-match watering hole. They trusted us so much they left us the keys and all we had to do was leave the right money for what we'd drank and lock up afterwards. Simples. By the time we left it was broad daylight and the birds were singing, my mate (let's call him Trev) and I decided we'd have a quick sit down in someone's garden whilst we tried to work out what day it was (aren't we all, eh) - unfortunately though we fell asleep & the poor householder thought a call to the local constabulary might be his best bet - leafy Westbury-on-Trym not being accustomed to such antics, of course. So plod picked us up. And sensibly checked if they could take us somewhere we could sleep it off. "Trev" being (very) recently married, couldn't get in too much trouble so back to my parents' it was. As we stumbled out of the police car to the amusement of the neighbours out washing their cars, doing the garden etc my old dear was furiously ushering us inside, where we collapsed in a heap in my bedroom. Until god knows when. 

I never did see that game. It looked ace when I saw the highlights. I really wish I could've been in the pub, as planned, with the rest of the lads to see it. But it just wasn't to be! 

4 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

During that amazing summer of 1996 when football was coming home, on the morning of the England v. Scotland game, I was also coming home, albeit it in a police car with a mate of mine after we'd got utterly annihilated at our football club's (Old Cots, if you're interested) End of Season Dinner. 

The place we'd used for the bash was our usual post-match watering hole. They trusted us so much they left us the keys and all we had to do was leave the right money for what we'd drank and lock up afterwards. Simples. By the time we left it was broad daylight and the birds were singing, my mate (let's call him Trev) and I decided we'd have a quick sit down in someone's garden whilst we tried to work out what day it was (aren't we all, eh) - unfortunately though we fell asleep & the poor householder thought a call to the local constabulary might be his best bet - leafy Westbury-on-Trym not being accustomed to such antics, of course. So plod picked us up. And sensibly checked if they could take us somewhere we could sleep it off. "Trev" being (very) recently married, couldn't get in too much trouble so back to my parents' it was. As we stumbled out of the police car to the amusement of the neighbours out washing their cars, doing the garden etc my old dear was furiously ushering us inside, where we collapsed in a heap in my bedroom. Until god knows when. 

I never did see that game. It looked ace when I saw the highlights. I really wish I could've been in the pub, as planned, with the rest of the lads to see it. But it just wasn't to be! 

Better to have got it off your chest now Reg...................Janet really was a lovely girl and she would probably chastise you today for calling her ' an old dear ! ' rather than being piss*d as a fart ? ?

My dad took me to Madrid for the 1982 World Cup. We saw both of England's 0-0 games in the 2nd group phase, the games in Northern Ireland's group, and even the final. We had tickets for the semi-final down in Seville, and dad unilaterally decided we weren't doing the coach trip down and back. As such, we missed France v West Germany, Battiston v Schumacher, a 3-3 draw with a penalty shoot out epic that is viewed as one of THE great World Cup games. Somewhere in a box at home I still have the pristine unused ticket.

14 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

Better to have got it off your chest now Reg...................Janet really was a lovely girl and she would probably chastise you today for calling her ' an old dear ! ' rather than being piss*d as a fart ? ?

Ha ha we always joked about it in later years Dave! 

4 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

My dad took me to Madrid for the 1982 World Cup. We saw both of England's 0-0 games in the 2nd group phase, the games in Northern Ireland's group, and even the final. We had tickets for the semi-final down in Seville, and dad unilaterally decided we weren't doing the coach trip down and back. As such, we missed France v West Germany, Battiston v Schumacher, a 3-3 draw with a penalty shoot out epic that is viewed as one of THE great World Cup games. Somewhere in a box at home I still have the pristine unused ticket.

No way! What a game to miss! Madrid to Seville on a hot coach doesn't sound much fun mind. 

5 years ago yesterday, the now famous 6-0 promotion clincher at Bradford.

I had rather cleverly arranged to be working in Yorkshire on the Tuesday and Wednesday so I would be in the area for the match.

One of the guys I was going to do safety audits on rang me to say he had booked a days leave for the Wednesday so it all got rescheduled for the following week.

I'll leave you to guess whether he passed or not!

5 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Is that the same time that your mum asked you if you knew how you got home the night before? (She had to tell you it was in a police car)

6 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

That is tragic! Gets overlooked by the Italy 3-2 Brazil game imo.

Man Utd for me, I was in Australia at the time.

I had arranged to go to Mansfield for THAT game, then the evening before got a call from my head office saying a client local to me in Peterborough had just phoned requesting an urgent appointment. Due to work commitments they needed to see someone the following day at 5.30, so my football plans went out of the window.

Before leaving the house I was watching final scores on the Beeb and we were 4-2 down as the final scores started to come in, so I was resigned to a defeat,  but relieved that I had not witnessed what sounded like a poor performance.

The client opened the door wearing his Liverpool shirt, so I shared commiserations,  as Liverpool had lost that day. He asked which was my team, so I told him, and he then said we'd had a great result. I thought he was being sarcastic until he told me what had happened!!!

I had to miss Leeds v Bayern Munchen, European Cup Final,1975. We had people over, I think, and I did something - can't remember now but it was nothing, look what those Leeds ****ers did that night. So unfair - terrible/awful, and was sent to my room. 

There were only about three live games on telly a year in those days. And I had to miss one of them.

The 2008 play off final against Hull City.

Got smashed up in a crash,  broke just about everything in November 2007.  Patched up in Frenchay over 3 months pushed around in a wheelchair by a City supporting porter called Tim who I once briefly spotted at Ashton Gate. When the final arrived I had a external fixation frame fitted to my leg which didn't give me enough mobility to go.

Never mind I survived

I was offered hospitality at the England vs Holland match at Euro 96 - I turned it down to stay loyal to a supplier who’d offered to take me to Scotland vs Switzerland on the same night, he’d invited me first.

Also in the late ‘70s I was feeling a bit under the weather before City’s FA Cup match vs Wrexham so decided to knock it on the head - it finished 4-4 ...

Leeds United v CITY FA Cup 5th round replay. Leeds unbeaten all that season and top of Div 1. I went to the first match at Ashton Gate when we drew 1-1. The replay mid afternoon and mid week due to the 3 day week. I had to work in Bristol that afternoon when Donny Giles struck 0-1 to the City. I remember as i was driving around Bristol all the car horns going off when the final whistle went. Front of page news on all of the newspapers next day.

17 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

It was either that time or the other one!

That’ll be the time when your mate Trev (who we’re calling Trev to protect his identity) woke up in the night, well, during the day to go for a wee and thought mum was the cleaner, and duly asked her directions to the toilet ?

Liverpool away FA Cup.

Was going out with a new bird at the time and was on a promise (if you get my drift). Ended up having a ding dong row with her as she complained all night about me having the radio on for the commentary. So did not get my end away. Lesson learnt! Ditched her next day.

Never made the same mistake again!

2 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Liverpool away FA Cup.

Was going out with a new bird at the time and was on a promise (if you get my drift). Ended up having a ding dong row with her as she complained all night about me having the radio on for the commentary. So did not get my end away. Lesson learnt! Ditched her next day.

Never made the same mistake again!

Meaning thereafter you maintained radio silence during sex?

Second leg of the league Cup semi final against Manchester City as my son was being born.

He's lucky we didn't win or he might have ended up being called luke Korey aden Hörður Bailey Jaime Liam josh Marlon joey Bobby Ryan famara.....

I'm lucky as well as I would have been pissed off at having to include Ryan Kent!

Archived