IGNORED

Best or Biggest Game You've Had To Miss

CyderInACan

Plenty of missed games over the years.

But I can't remember looking forward to atending a game as much as I am the next one, despite not knowing who it'll be against, when it'll be or even what season it will be or come to that what league it'll be in. Bring it on!

12 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Of course he did, you were in Peterborough, after all !

I lived 5 miles north of Peterborough at the time and yes, he did open the door wearing his Liverpool shirt - he was a scouser and moved to Peterborough with his job.

2 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

Liverpool away FA Cup.

Was going out with a new bird at the time and was on a promise (if you get my drift). Ended up having a ding dong row with her as she complained all night about me having the radio on for the commentary. So did not get my end away. Lesson learnt! Ditched her next day.

Never made the same mistake again!

Neither did she!  :)

23 hours ago, Between heaven and hell said:

The 2008 play off final against Hull City.

Got smashed up in a crash,  broke just about everything in November 2007.  Patched up in Frenchay over 3 months pushed around in a wheelchair by a City supporting porter called Tim who I once briefly spotted at Ashton Gate. When the final arrived I had a external fixation frame fitted to my leg which didn't give me enough mobility to go.

Never mind I survived

Tim sits behind me in the South stand block 19.He is still a porter and I pray he's safe!

Liverpool away.  Queued down at the Gate to get my ticket, got home and started stripping cork tiles off the walls (I should explain, I was decorating - it was a Saturday after all).  All of a sudden felt really exhausted.  So ran a bath and noticed I was covered in spots.  Chicken pox which for a 26 year old bloke was pretty debilitating for a fortnight or so.  So had to listen to it on Radio Bristol instead.

Still haven't been to Anfield

14 hours ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

The worst story I will ever tell is falling asleep in the pub toilet after a Christmas pub crawl and waking up at half time during a particularly memorable game I had tickets for. 

It was Manchester United. 

Nah that’s one of the best surely!?

11 hours ago, Between heaven and hell said:

Oh my god thanks so much for posting this Rooster.

I'm glad hes still watching his football and like you I also pray for his safety.

Thanks again

This is great to see.  Random forum posts bringing great news such as this. Well done guys. I think we are all hoping Tim and his colleagues are - and stay - safe. COYR. 

Amazed I have only just remembered this one.

The JPT win over Rovers at Ashton Gate (JET and Bryan). 

I finished a short treatment of radiotherapy and was therefore quarantined for a couple of weeks, and it wasn't really cricket to going out and about, as in theory my readybrek glow could have been harmful to others (mostly pregnant women, based on my temporary super-powered possibly causing leukaemia to the unborn).

I did look*. And no, it wasn't possible to get a ticket for the away end.

*I didn't.

That playoff semi-final at home vs Palace. I watched it in a roadside kebab shop in Çolakli, Turkey. It was the only place in the vicinity of our hotel that we could find with Sky Sports. 

My now wife and I ate and drank so much over the course of the two legs that by the time the extra time was done in the second leg, and we'd made it to the final, all the staff were jumping around with me like it was their team that had done it, bloody brilliant. I'm sure the atmosphere at the Gate was incredible but I have very fond memories of it regardless.

The final, which I was sadly home for, not so much....

Just Googled it and pleased to see it's still there all these years later!

81910b9619e48945dbee228684a52dcb.jpg

1959 FA Cup at Ashton Gate v Blackpool missed due to laid up with flu.

Saturday 24th January 1959

Blackpool’s FA Cup fourth round visit to Bristol City was the only time that Stanley Matthews would appear at Ashton Gate. An enormous crowd of 42,594 only a few hundred short of City’s all time record “gate” saw Bert Tindill’s first half goal cancelled out by Ray Charnley  as the Robins held the Seasiders to a 1-1 draw. Bristol City flew to Blackpool for the replay four days later, losing 1-0 to Dave Durie’s second half goal.

24 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

That playoff semi-final at home vs Palace. I watched it in a roadside kebab shop in Çolakli, Turkey. It was the only place in the vicinity of our hotel that we could find with Sky Sports. 

That away game at Palace. Was in Poland for a Stag Do so we managed to find a bar on Monte Cassino in Sopot, just outside Gdańsk, that showed it for us. What a day and what a place Sopot is. Beautiful Baltic coastal resort, absolutely gorgeous. 

I missed the 2008 Playoff final as I was in Belgium. Although after that result (and having had the pain of losing 2 previous playoff finals) I didn’t feel quite so bad.

The one that really hurts was missing the Man United Carabao cup quarterfinal  as I was having Christmas in Canada with the in laws. Although from the number of people who were supposedly there, the attendance must have been at least 50,000!

5 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

I missed the 2008 Playoff final as I was in Belgium. Although after that result (and having had the pain of losing 2 previous playoff finals) I didn’t feel quite so bad.

The one that really hurts was missing the Man United Carabao cup quarterfinal  as I was having Christmas in Canada with the in laws. Although from the number of people who were supposedly there, the attendance must have been at least 50,000!

There were three people sat in my seat when I got there mind!

On 17 April 2020 at 09:03, CyderInACan said:

This is great to see.  Random forum posts bringing great news such as this. Well done guys. I think we are all hoping Tim and his colleagues are - and stay - safe. COYR. 

Since I posted this in a rush please forgive me but I can't get Tim out of my head.He's sat behind me for 25 years+ (enclosure and sorry, section 20)He's of an age and if portering he cannot help but put his self in danger so no way to stay safe.I really don't want to phone Southmead just for this,so if you know Tim or anyone at Southmaed please post an update

2 hours ago, Rooster said:

Since I posted this in a rush please forgive me but I can't get Tim out of my head.He's sat behind me for 25 years+ (enclosure and sorry, section 20)He's of an age and if portering he cannot help but put his self in danger so no way to stay safe.I really don't want to phone Southmead just for this,so if you know Tim or anyone at Southmaed please post an update

Law of averages dictates there’ll be a few on here at the Mead, hopefully they will see this and report back. 

• Admin
4 hours ago, Rooster said:

A long shot @Rooster, I know someone that works in the same department but at Weston hospital.

Hes going to ask around to see if anyone knows him etc

I missed the local derby , September '87. A good mate got married, didn't really have a way out. Made it worse as it was 3-3, had an earpiece in during the meal/speeches which was mentioned by the best man when he asked me the score.

Not me but the wife missed the Man U game due to extreme morning sickness 

I missed the Liverpool away game due to cock up in thinking nobody would go with me and then finding out my sister would have gone.

Bradford away - I was staying near to the M25/M1 junction and although a hell of a journey was going to do it but decided last minute it’d be a bit to much. Gutted 

Manchester United, I was coming back from Euro Disney. Booked it all as a dream trip for the kids having checked fixtures and thought I wouldn't be missing a home game. Father in law and me were going berserk on the M25 as the City goals went in. Amazing I didn't crash the car.

On 15/04/2020 at 14:07, One Team In Keynsham said:

My dad took me to Madrid for the 1982 World Cup. We saw both of England's 0-0 games in the 2nd group phase, the games in Northern Ireland's group, and even the final. We had tickets for the semi-final down in Seville, and dad unilaterally decided we weren't doing the coach trip down and back. As such, we missed France v West Germany, Battiston v Schumacher, a 3-3 draw with a penalty shoot out epic that is viewed as one of THE great World Cup games. Somewhere in a box at home I still have the pristine unused ticket.

Found said ticket whilst rooting through some boxes:

20200430_113815.thumb.jpg.6335a07d4af2a343cd0ad385a7f8e5bc.jpg

On 15/04/2020 at 21:01, Between heaven and hell said:

The 2008 play off final against Hull City.

Got smashed up in a crash,  broke just about everything in November 2007.  Patched up in Frenchay over 3 months pushed around in a wheelchair by a City supporting porter called Tim who I once briefly spotted at Ashton Gate. When the final arrived I had a external fixation frame fitted to my leg which didn't give me enough mobility to go.

Never mind I survived

Hi,great news Tim,our hero,is all good and still portering,he recalls you and said he’d like to meet you any half time because you owe him a pint!! He’s in block20  row  20 seat 19  .ps does he look any different I don’t think so. Never forget you have 20 thousand friends out there. Here’s to the brotherhood of OTIB.

A706B54C-FCA2-4164-901B-5F944CFA3C80.jpeg

On 16/04/2020 at 18:44, ralphindevon said:

Plenty of missed games over the years.

But I can't remember looking forward to atending a game as much as I am the next one, despite not knowing who it'll be against, when it'll be or even what season it will be or come to that what league it'll be in. Bring it on!

How was it?

15 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

How was it?

It was great to be back but as soon as I had sat down it felt like I’d been away a couple weeks not 17 months.

The occasion was probably better than the actual game but nothing says welcome back to Ashton Gate more than an injury time equaliser against you.

A bit emotional just before the game, not just thinking about the great TC but all the city fans who had passed since we were last there. 

All in all a big, welcome chunk of normality. Thanks for asking.

Archived