IGNORED

20 Years Ago Today

BS15_RED

8 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Still annoys me that we changed to that stupid kit!  It was great to see City at the old Wembley though as I missed the 80’s trip as first game was 89/90 season

Yeah...loads if whinges and complaints about that shirt at the time. It was bloody awful and whoever came up with that colour combination should have been shot at dawn............:disapointed2se:

I was at that game but strangely have hardly any recollections of the day. Can’t even recall who I was with or how I got there.That could be because we lost...........:dunno:

I remember we all looked at each other asking who chose Hi Ho as OUR song. As for the kit I remarked at the time that City had worn yellow v Stoke in a Watney Cup game in 74. City's then Chairman announced City would never wear yellow again. So come 2000, a cup game v Stoke and City wore yellow. My other recollections of that day?

Tickets sold rapidly at both clubs for the final at Wembley and on the day over 75,000 created a marvellous atmosphere. This was the largest crowd in the history of the club (at that time) to watch a Bristol City match. The revenue went a long way to repairing the £2,000,000 loss of the previous season. A poor performance in the first half gave Stoke a 1-0 interval lead. Both teams played much better in the second half; Paul Holland equalised, but Thorne scored the winner for Stoke near the end. The match had been spoilt oddly enough, because the referee had tried too hard to allow flowing football. Both teams had players fouled in the penalty area and players of both teams blatantly handled the ball, yet the referee waved play on. 

15 minutes ago, 22A said:

I remember we all looked at each other asking who chose Hi Ho as OUR song. As for the kit I remarked at the time that City had worn yellow v Stoke in a Watney Cup game in 74. City's then Chairman announced City would never wear yellow again. So come 2000, a cup game v Stoke and City wore yellow. My other recollections of that day?

Tickets sold rapidly at both clubs for the final at Wembley and on the day over 75,000 created a marvellous atmosphere. This was the largest crowd in the history of the club (at that time) to watch a Bristol City match. The revenue went a long way to repairing the £2,000,000 loss of the previous season. A poor performance in the first half gave Stoke a 1-0 interval lead. Both teams played much better in the second half; Paul Holland equalised, but Thorne scored the winner for Stoke near the end. The match had been spoilt oddly enough, because the referee had tried too hard to allow flowing football. Both teams had players fouled in the penalty area and players of both teams blatantly handled the ball, yet the referee waved play on. 

Wasn’t our goal credited to Damian Spencer?

I think it was a mistake from Louis Carey that led to the Stoke winner?  Were we caught napping at a free kick?  Can’t quite remember...

13 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Wasn’t our goal credited to Damian Spencer?

I think it was a mistake from Louis Carey that led to the Stoke winner?  Were we caught napping at a free kick?  Can’t quite remember...

I seem to remember that he chose to argue with the ref over a free kick, and switched off. I remember this from being there, and seeing it back since.

• Admin
9 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Still annoys me that we changed to that stupid kit!  It was great to see City at the old Wembley though as I missed the 80’s trip as first game was 89/90 season

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Yeah...loads if whinges and complaints about that shirt at the time. It was bloody awful and whoever came up with that colour combination should have been shot at dawn............:disapointed2se:

I was at that game but strangely have hardly any recollections of the day. Can’t even recall who I was with or how I got there.That could be because we lost...........:dunno:

Especially as we had already released a new kit that was used ONLY for the away league match at Stoke that season

1 hour ago, 22A said:

As for the kit I remarked at the time that City had worn yellow v Stoke in a Watney Cup game in 74. City's then Chairman announced City would never wear yellow again. 

Never heard bout this 1974 kit anyone got a pic?

12 minutes ago, 22A said:

fifiy five seconds in; 

Ahhh like an Arsenal kit..

when did we start going yellow and green? Was it the 80s? Still got a couple yellow away shirts, the Thorn Secutity bukta and the Yellow Sanderson we beat Sunderland with, wouldn’t say no to us going back to yellow

• Admin

I think this game was the drunkest I have ever been at a football match.  It seemed like a good idea on the way up to drink 12 bottles of Diamond White and 2 bottles of wine, I have no recollection of the first half and only a very hazy memory of the second half.  I think if I tried to drink that now it would polish me off.....

38 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Ahhh like an Arsenal kit..

when did we start going yellow and green? Was it the 80s? Still got a couple yellow away shirts, the Thorn Secutity bukta and the Yellow Sanderson we beat Sunderland with, wouldn’t say no to us going back to yellow

The yellow and green away kit, with grandad collar, that we wore in the semi final v Forest was a thing of beauty.

I've always preferred the yellow and green combination for an away kit, possibly because we wore that at the 1st away game i went to? wouldn't mind having it back. But that kit at Wembley V Stoke is a shocker, although i believe i still have it in my attic.

I was 4, my Dad decided not to take me as he thought I'd be too young to appreciate a cup final, albeit a tin pot cup.

He took me to the Millennium Stadium for the LDV final a few years later, and I was at Wembley for the game against Walsall, meaning the 2 finals I have seen City in we have won. 

Archived