IGNORED

Games you went to despite being told there would be dire consequences if you did.

Lanterne Rouge

8 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Mine was Darlington away on a Monday night in January 1983. We were bottom of Division 4 at the time.

The former Mrs LR told me in no uncertain terms that if I went she would leave me.

Fair play to her, she`d packed and gone by the time I got back.

Im guessing the writing was on the wall if Darlington away on a Monday night seemed a good plan

2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Mine was Darlington away on a Monday night in January 1983. We were bottom of Division 4 at the time.

The former Mrs LR told me in no uncertain terms that if I went she would leave me.

Fair play to her, she`d packed and gone by the time I got back.

Why is my wife getting pissed off because I am not going to football?

The play off semi against Palace. I was off sick and not only was the game live on TV (chance of being shown on screen!) but my boss at the time was a City fan and was going to be in the East End, which is where my mate bought tickets for.

I’m still surprised I wasn’t spotted.

2 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Corinthian Casuals in the cup, we had heard rumours that a gang from Millwall would turn up........and they did.......and it wasn't pretty........and we dew 0-0

Same with Fisher away in't cup. No tickets were available (except for Beryl's chosen few).really  quite perturbed going up, but we won, nothing happened, Millwall bottled it !:laughcont:

On 16/04/2020 at 18:46, sticks 1969 said:

Most england away games in my early years of going ...

Ditto, although it depends when you started, which for me was mid-1980s, when every football match was supposed to be an orgy of violence & mayhem. 

Plus multiple tournaments (Ukraine = going to be beaten up; South Africa = going to die; Brazil = going to get raped / mugged; Russia = all of the previous; etc etc), all of which were fantastic.

Yep - the 2008 play off final vs Hull pretty much cost me everything!

I was invited to three weddings on the same day as the play off final! (when does that ever happen?!) - obviously I was in a right quandary - I was living in Wells at the time with my partner. She was insisting we should go to the wedding of one of her closest friends and she was adamant I wasn’t going to Wembley. To be fair, her Dad was a gas season ticket holder and even he tried to reason with her, saying he totally understood why I couldn’t miss the play off final.

Anyway, I went to Wembley - Dean Windass - she left me, she’s now married to a Man Yoo fan - I had to sell the lovely house in Wells and move back to Bristol ...

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I was invited to three weddings on the same day as the play off final! (when does that ever happen?!) - obviously I was in a right quandary - I was living in Wells at the time with my partner. She was insisting we should go to the wedding of one of her closest friends and she was adamant I wasn’t going to Wembley. To be fair, her Dad was a gas season ticket holder and even he tried to reason with her, saying he totally understood why I couldn’t miss the play off final.

Anyway, I went to Wembley - Dean Windass - she left me, she’s now married to a Man Yoo fan - I had to sell the lovely house in Wells and move back to Bristol ...

Strange reaction to this post @finbarr_in_z ?? 

21 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Dean Windarse is married to your ex partner and is a Man Red fan?

On 16/04/2020 at 21:48, slartibartfast said:

Same with Fisher away in't cup. No tickets were available (except for Beryl's chosen few).really  quite perturbed going up, but we won, nothing happened, Millwall bottled it !:laughcont:

Yep, I was there. We were able to get into their supporters bar before the match. One of the City players came in on  crutches for a bevvy (Biff?).

18 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I had the opposite experience.

We were on a family holiday in Tenerife when the final was on. My Mrs woke me up with a plane return ticket to London city airport and a match ticket.

She's a keeper.

15 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

We were on a family holiday in Tenerife when the final was on. My Mrs woke me up with a plane return ticket to London city airport and a match ticket.

She's a keeper.

Has she got a sister ?

Half of one goes links to Darlington for me too. On my way to Middlesbrough away and it starts to snow, and I mean really heavy snow, which I was warned about before I left but didn't hit until I approached Darlington. Then it really came down. Was worried it was going to be called off, but thankfully it wasn't snowing in Middlesbrough so the thrilling 0-0 game went ahead. Getting all that way for it to just be called off is the ultimate salt in the wound. 

Newcastle away earlier that season. Me and my girlfriend at the time hit a bit of a rocky patch as we were not seeing each other as much as we were as she was living back at home now she'd graduated from uni. She said we should be working things out but I said I'd be going to Newcastle for a long weekend with my mates. Low and behold the following week she broke up with me. Sad at the time but with hindsight I'm very glad she did. Ended up meeting a girl who I'm now hapilly married to with a beautiful daughter. Had I not gone to Newcastle (again, a lackluster 0-0) and worked on our problems then who knows what difference it may have had. Proper sliding doors moment. 

2 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

She's a keeper.

Fair play SJ! I should have seen the signs in my case - when my ex-partner was a young child she apparently named her first pet hamster ‘Devon White’ .... what was I thinking?!

May '77 I was in college on day release from my apprenticeship . City had the little matter of a midweek trip to Coventry to stay in the first Division ( that's like the Poem now to you youngsters out there ) . We got tickets for the late coaches, there were 2 lots running at different times that day, and I don't know why but I didn't have the day off. So the conversation went something like...

Me "I win't be back after break, I have to go to the dentist"
Lecturer " No you're not, you're going to football. You will come back or I will tell your manager"
Me " Have a look to see if I'm back later then"
Risky strategy but he didn't say anything , luckily. We got in just in time for kick off . So glad I went, one of the best days ever. 

Archived