IGNORED

Best ever cover versions

Slacker

2 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

I know that may be sacrilegious to some, but, personally, I prefer their version.

As I said I'm a big fan of KB but the Futureheads version is just...more fun to listen to I suppose

youre right, fair play not about being more fun, just we all have our preferences

2 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

youre right, fair play not about being more fun, just we all have our preferences

Exactly that AD. 

Dont get me wrong, it IS a Kate Bush song unlike something like All Along the Watchtower which (as even Dylan admits) is a Hendrix song. I just smile more when I hear the FH version than the KB version.

7 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Mrs Robinson The Lemonheads

Big Yellow Taxi Counting Crows

Two very respectable versions of classic songs.I guess you have to be pretty brave to try and pull off big hitters like these.

The original Mrs Robinson is one my earliest ever memories of music playing on a radio at home (I was 5, 6 ish) Great song, and really takes me back to being a little kid. **** I'm gonna start welling up   :laugh: seriously music is powerful stuff

9 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

Hounds of Love- Futureheads

I love Kate Bush but this is better.

That’s not going to be a popular opinion, but I agree.

I didn’t know the Kate Bush version when the Futureheads version came out, so Kate Bush has always felt like the cover version to me.

10 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

Hounds of Love- Futureheads

I love Kate Bush but this is better.

Talking of Kate Bush, has anyone heard the mental punk cover version of Wuthering Heights by China Drum, off of the mid 90s? For those who love 'The Bush' (and let's be honest, who doesn't?) and enjoy a bit of spikey punk rock, this is essential listening.

And on the subject of punked-up covers, how about The Dickies with their 100mph demolition of Knights in White Satin? Love that.

7 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Talking of Kate Bush, has anyone heard the mental punk cover version of Wuthering Heights by China Drum, off of the mid 90s? For those who love 'The Bush' (and let's be honest, who doesn't?) and enjoy a bit of spikey punk rock, this is essential listening.

I’ve never heard it before and am not sure if I like it. It’s definitely different....

2 hours ago, City Rocker said:

And on the subject of punked-up covers, how about The Dickies with their 100mph demolition of Knights in White Satin? Love that.

Along with Banana Splits and Paranoid!

14 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Audioweb - Bankrobber

You may also like Chumbawumba's a capella version of Bankrobber.

My own addition to the great covers' collection is You Only Live Twice by late 80s Australian band The Scientists.  They take that song apart and reassemble it.

(See also XTC's version of All Along The Watchtower for a cover reducing the original to its constituent parts)

32 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I`m probably in a (very small) minority but I really liked Frankie Goes To Hollywood`s cover of Ferry Across The Mersey

Haven't heard it but I don't imagine it could be much worse than the original. 

Archived