IGNORED

Best ever cover versions

Slacker

I cant believe I forgot this

Beck Hanson with a 157 piece orchestra on a revolving stage doing David Bowies Sound and Vision. 

This is probably my favourite cover version ever purely down to the amount of fantastic musicians adding little touches to an already great song here and there. It's nearly 10 minutes long but it's an absolute joy for every single second.

China Drum - Wuthering heights. Absolutely mental live.

Any of Johnny Cash’s covers but ‘The Mercy Seat’ and ‘Personal Jesus’ are stand outs for me due to my love of the originals and his take on them.

For those of a pop bent the Wheatus version of Erasure’s ‘A little respect’ is a joy.  Probs one for @CyderInACan I believe he’s a pop afficianado , and an Erasure fan (If i’ve got the right poster, pretty sure I have)

Shit, I almost forgot The Daddy of all covers - Pet Shop Boys - Always on my mind.  Always think of it as theirs. Plus Joss Ackland and a zebra are in the video, can’t get better that.

ooh late entry- How soon is now by Tatu, surprisingly good.

5 hours ago, RumRed said:

China Drum - Wuthering heights. Absolutely mental live.

Any of Johnny Cash’s covers but ‘The Mercy Seat’ and ‘Personal Jesus’ are stand outs for me due to my love of the originals and his take on them.

For those of a pop bent the Wheatus version of Erasure’s ‘A little respect’ is a joy.  Probs one for @CyderInACan I believe he’s a pop afficianado , and an Erasure fan (If i’ve got the right poster, pretty sure I have)

Shit, I almost forgot The Daddy of all covers - Pet Shop Boys - Always on my mind.  Always think of it as theirs. Plus Joss Ackland and a zebra are in the video, can’t get better that.

ooh late entry- How soon is now by Tatu, surprisingly good.

Good shout for The Mercy Seat. Nick Cave's cover is awesome.

And on the subject of Nick Cave, his covers album "Kicking Against The Pricks" is everything that Duran Duran's "Thank You" is not. Will be digging it out for a listen tomorrow.

6 hours ago, RumRed said:

For those of a pop bent the Wheatus version of Erasure’s ‘A little respect’ is a joy.  Probs one for @CyderInACan I believe he’s a pop afficianado , and an Erasure fan (If i’ve got the right poster, pretty sure I have

You have. Loves bit of pop mind, but to be fair I’m just a fan of music generally, I have very eclectic tastes! 

4 hours ago, ForeverRed said:

Say Hello, Wave Goodbye - David Gray (Soft Cell)

Mentioning Soft Cell, their cover version of Tainted Love didn't do too badly. 

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

Mentioning Soft Cell, their cover version of Tainted Love didn't do too badly. 

It`s brilliant and, along with Don`t You Want Me Baby defined the early eighties for me.

Marc`s done some other pretty good covers too - Something`s Gotten Hold Of My Heart (I know it was a duet with Gene Pitney but still counts in my book), Days Of Pearly Spencer  and his version of Jacky even outdoes Scott Walker`s which I didn`t think was possible.

On 16/04/2020 at 20:20, Slacker said:

Well it only seems fair

Umbrella by Manic Street Preachers

What a Wonderful World  by Joey Ramone,not as good as the original by still pretty good

You got the love by Florence and The Machine

Guns of Navarone by The Specials 

Housemartins did a few good ones too.

Loads more that will come to me later.

Ugh, can't stand her stuff

8 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Also on RadMac just now, the Hot 8 Brass Band with their jazz/funk/hiphop re-imagining of Love Will Tear Us Apart.

Paul Young's cover of the song was rightly mentioned on the worst cover versions thread, but I reckon Ian Curtis would have loved this.

Another brilliant Joy Division cover:

23 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Also on RadMac just now, the Hot 8 Brass Band with their jazz/funk/hiphop re-imagining of Love Will Tear Us Apart.

Paul Young's cover of the song was rightly mentioned on the worst cover versions thread, but I reckon Ian Curtis would have loved this.

Yeah, I heard that too but couldn`t make my mind up whether it was brilliant or awful! I need to listen to it a couple more times I think.

3 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Hot 8 doing sexual healing is a bit of a banger

On 17/04/2020 at 10:56, Lanterne Rouge said:

I was going to suggest Kirsty MacColl`s New England but I think Billy Bragg wrote it for her rather than her covering it.

I have seen him do it live since (with obvious lyric changes!) though so who knows?

As a bit of a Billy Bragg fan, (only seen him live 47 times!), he didn't write it for Kirsty but was chuffed to bits when she said she wanted to cover it. He went round for to her house to talk about changing the lyrics and in the time it took her to make a cuppa, he'd done that and written the extra verse for her, which he now sings at gigs too ?

Archived