IGNORED

Greatest ever Championship manager

A Horse With No Name

I see that The Sack Race .com have conducted a survey into the GOAT. The Greatest Of All Time Championship Manager taking into account win rates and promotions etc. The winner was our very own Steve Coppell, who must have sneaked it over second placed Shaun Dyche, again a City legend, due to his huge success at Ashton Gate.

9 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

I see that The Sack Race .com have conducted a survey into the GOAT. The Greatest Of All Time Championship Manager taking into account win rates and promotions etc. The winner was our very own Steve Coppell, who must have sneaked it over second placed Shaun Dyche, again a City legend, due to his huge success at Ashton Gate.

I always think there should be a handicap factored in to allow for what a manager has to work with. It`s easy for Rafa Benitez with the assets at his disposal but not so much for. say, Mick McCarthy, who was constantly underfunded and having to sell to buy.

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Depends on other factors like club financiers and money available. You could have a very young inexperienced manager but if with a cub with plenty of cash could make this manager go up the ranks very quickly. Or on the other hand say a manager coming down from the Prem that has all the experience and the goods but with a club on limited funds its a different story.

any way you cant go pass Warnock or even our own LJ..

58 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Thought Neil Warnock would have been up there, but his forte was keeping sides up .

29 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Not in the championship, doesnt he hold a record for most prmotions from this league?

No, Steve Bruce has more promotions from the championship as manager - four vs Warnock’s three ... both not good enough for City though, according to the wise ones on here ...????

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Given that you've had Matty Hewlett playing for you that is praise indeed.

Not a bad little midfielder but a tad small. Spoilt for choice the players that have moved along the M4, Allison, Hewlett, Emanuel, Peacock, Pritchard, Roberts, with Flint & Taylor moving to city and Pritchard resigning and no doubt a few I've forgotten 

52 minutes ago, Redstoke said:

Cant disagree with that fella!! massive achievment for Swindon town.

If you compare the Championship to the old days when it was division 2 then there is an out right winner. Alan dicks 

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Bassett’s managerial record is phenomenal - absolutely incredible list of honours won .... he’s right up there 

Absolutely. Think Bassett’s either the only one, or is certainly a member of a very select few managers, to win every league title into the Football League. Sure he had other promotions (play-offs, runners-up) on his CV, too. 

1 hour ago, tin said:

Absolutely. Think Bassett’s either the only one, or is certainly a member of a very select few managers, to win every league title into the Football League. Sure he had other promotions (play-offs, runners-up) on his CV, too. 

Apart from a blip at Watford he had a fantastic managerial career and I bet not many knew he's now age 75

Archived