IGNORED

12 years ago today - St[r]oke

kmpowell

I remember heading up there with so much expectation and excitement  for what should have been a great game, only for...

• Mike Riley to be conned by their play-acting
  • Us to be totally outplayed
  • Us to be hoofed around for 90mins by Tiny Penis's dirty tactics and route one football.
  • The only player that put in a good shift for us was Trund's who Johnson played too wide (again!) and left out on the wing on his own with no support. After the game (after being held back in the pen by the police and treated like animals) we bumping into him on Stanley Matthew's Way when walking back to the car. He sounded and looked gutted, apologising to me and my bother for the team's performance. A top bloke.
  • A very frustrating game which saw our Automatic Promo hopes vanish.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/7344104.stm

Remember pre match the other results all coming in and a sense of win this and we can get auto. Stoke would have thought the same. 

We never turned up first half and unfortunately left ourselves too much to do in second half. Mind you if Orr? shot goes in to make it 2-2 we’d have gone on to win it. 

Will forever be gutted about that game. Liam ***** Lawrence the cheating bugger! 
Was my first visit to Stoke and remember how intimidating it felt inside and outside - they were really up for it,  so that added to the annoyance levels. Their lot certainly rubbed it on the way out afterwards! Fair few scuffles. 
Went back for the first time since this season and the difference in atmosphere and ‘intimidation factor’ was immense,  but that’s football now these days I guess. 

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I think I was there too. Was it insanely fuckkng windy?

And did Liam Lawrence play?!

Was quite impressed with their Delilah rendition though. Much louder than AG. 

Yeah always windy up on the hill of that sh**pit.  Remember how they sung ‘you’ll never play us again’ - ain’t karma a bitch 

Our season ended that evening in a way  no matter what came after, that game was a real chance of making top 2 and we missed it. the Palace games will last long in the memory but the final against Hull was my probably my biggest disappointment watching City...so near but so far in the end ??

2 hours ago, weepywall said:

Our season ended that evening in a way  no matter what came after, that game was a real chance of making top 2 and we missed it. the Palace games will last long in the memory but the final against Hull was my probably my biggest disappointment watching City...so near but so far in the end ??

beat bogey team pne in a dead rubber last game convincingly though...….

On 19/04/2020 at 12:55, SuperDziek said:

I hate Stoke. Before, during and after Tiny Penis’ reign. One of those teams I just can’t stand.

Absolutely 100 percent agree. 

I hated losing to them at Wembley, I hated them when they showered us with bottles and cans at the back of their away end after an awful match. 

I simply can't stand them. 

3 hours ago, BS13 Robin said:

I remember it was bloody cold,very intimidating atmosphere and they were certainly well up for it whereas we weren't.That was a game that if we had won then our future could have been so different.

Indeed. They went on and had what 8 consecutive years in the Premier League after that season? Whilst we went through years of decline in the Championship and subsequently relegation  to League one in the same space of time. I often wonder if we could have gone on and did what they did in the Prem if we had gone up that year..

3 hours ago, bris red said:

Indeed. They went on and had what 8 consecutive years in the Premier League after that season? Whilst we went through years of decline in the Championship and subsequently relegation  to League one in the same space of time. I often wonder if we could have gone on and did what they did in the Prem if we had gone up that year..

Remember Carey said we had players lined up to sign etc and thought we’d stay up for years after.  A great what if but you have to wonder what GJ would have been like with premiership egos.. 

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 20:39, TomF said:

Remember Carey said we had players lined up to sign etc and thought we’d stay up for years after.  A great what if but you have to wonder what GJ would have been like with premiership egos.. 

That's a fair point about GJ he could well have struggled but it would have been one hell of a rollercoaster ride wouldn't it!

That game hurt nearly as much as the Wolves defeat in 2013 that pretty much sent us down.

We’d not been playing terribly even with our ropey form, but that first half was atrocious if memory serves. The one thing you don’t do at Stoke, give away stupid free-kicks out wide.

Long old journey down the M5 after that.

On 21/04/2020 at 20:39, TomF said:

Wonder what players, a Louis book would be a great read

Archived