IGNORED

City `moments in time`, good or bad

Lanterne Rouge

I`m not talking about whole matches, seasons or periods in our history but those brief moments that have happened down the years which you will always remember as long as you live. They can be good or bad and don`t have to be goals - although I expect a lot will be - just those jaw-dropping moments where you can`t quite take in what you`ve just seen.

I`ll start off with three, two good and one bad;

Aden Flint`s header off the line at the Etihad

The whole of AG standing as one to applaud Wilbs when he came on as a sub for Bolton

Dani Rodriguez breaking his leg

Many years ago, there would be an occasional procession around the touchline, either before the match or at half time. On one particular match a series of vehicles went around the touchline with young ladies throwing pork pies into the crowd. 

I will never forget the absolute joy I felt when the inevitable happened, as the away keeper took his place in front of the East End and was nearly buried under a hail of Bowyers best pies. 

It's not always the football that sticks in the mind. 

The Palace ghost goal. That feeling of ‘ffs’ when the goal went in, Sears running of celebrating, Jamie Macs punted it away, and all of a sudden we are playing on, Colins losing his **** and everyone’s asking each other ‘that went in yeah’?

The moment that time stood still. 

Alan Walsh cross, Bobby Hutchinson header, then 5 minutes later (or so it seemed) Steve Neville sent us to Wembley for the first time. 

City 3 Hereford 0. What a night. 

Clive Whitehead's goal at the open end against Portsmouth eventually sealing promotion to the 1st Division.  Euphoria then tension for the rest of the game holding on.

Always recall a normally quite reserved chap a few rows in front of me when the ball hit the back of the net, threw his jacket in the air, turned around screaming "come on" with clenched fists and tears rolling down his cheeks.

On the "Bowyers pork pie game" wouldn't get that past health and safety nowadays, hard round projectiles being thrown into the crowd, imagine getting one of those in the eye.

4-1 down at home v Chesterfield on a 7 game loosing run under GJ when the crowd got behind the side and tried to lift em. Game finished 4-2 but we started to turn the corner 

Beating man utd at home whilst sat next to my dad and my two kids. Something I thought would never happen or witness together as s family. 

2008 Wembley - best day of my life until KO. The rest is history. Still shocks me now the amount of hull fans who left at the final whistle. 

12 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Paul Marden at Forest. Donnie Gillies at Coventry.  Cheese at Arsenal.

Delirium.

Was it 9 matches until that ‘City ‘til I die’ Huddersfield game? Around 10k but to a man (and woman) got behind the lads. 

Paul Mardon, was he as good as they say he was?

4 hours ago, Beatnik said:

Many years ago, there would be an occasional procession around the touchline, either before the match or at half time. On one particular match a series of vehicles went around the touchline with young ladies throwing pork pies into the crowd. 

I will never forget the absolute joy I felt when the inevitable happened, as the away keeper took his place in front of the East End and was nearly buried under a hail of Bowyers best pies. 

It's not always the football that sticks in the mind. 

Oxford's Manor Ground had a similar type event but it was their own stupidity that causes me to still laugh about it. The away end had a small shed at the top of the open terrace. The shed was the tea/coffee stall and if you wanted a sugar in your beverage then sugar lumps were in a bowl on the service hatch ledge.

Needless to say, we had a corner and whilst their keeper was getting ready to defend, all of a sudden the six yard box was turning white. I had never seen hailstones the size and shape of sugar cubes until that September game! 

It was also the same game when Mr Penney sythed Junior Bent by the touchline. 

2 hours ago, Float'n Over said:

Clive Whitehead's goal at the open end against Portsmouth eventually sealing promotion to the 1st Division.  Euphoria then tension for the rest of the game holding on.

Always recall a normally quite reserved chap a few rows in front of me when the ball hit the back of the net, threw his jacket in the air, turned around screaming "come on" with clenched fists and tears rolling down his cheeks.

Will never, ever, forget that night but, strange as it may seem, I will say that the Donnie Gillies equalizer to make it 2-2 at Coventry a year later (not to mention the saga that played out after with both teams playing keep ball for 10 minutes due to Sunderland losing) was my top moment.  Probably because at 2-0 down and staring relegation in the face, we pulled off a footballing miracle.  

The reason that moment for me slightly shades the  Clive Whitehead goal in the Pompey game is that, with another home game to come (which we lost to Notts Co mainly because the players had been on the piss for 4 days)  I think we all thought we would achieve promotion that season.

Great memories!!

Two for me. One good and one very, very  bad. Keith Fear equalising for us against the mighty Leeds at home in the Cup in 1974. But the one moment where time stood still and my legs went to jelly, was the Sunday morning when the tragic news broke that striker Dean Horrix had been killed in a car crash after an away game. 

Oh and the 5th goal at Mansfield.

In nearly 60 years watching City there are so many but some of the highlight moments would have to be:

Paul Cheesely's header against Arsenal. Our first goal in the top flight for 65 years. 

The standing ovation for the GOAT's last match for Southend against us

The final whistle against Bolton in the LDV final at Wembley

Christian Roberts winner at Mansfield

Good:

Tinman's strike at Anfield: Christian Roberts' goal at Mansfield: starting my first chant in the East End; LDV final at Wembley: looking at the scoreboard at halftime at the Etihad to see us leading: super Scott Murray running the length of the pitch with his hand cupped to his ear against Cardiff: Jacki vs Leicester in the FA Cup on his own: my instant memory of a night game in League Cup 1st round or some such vs West Ham at Upton Park, cracking atmosphere and the overpowering smell of aftershave!: a Wayne Allison goal at Burnden Park vs Bolton that was out of this world

Bad:

Watching us lose to Hull in a bar in Rome, beyond depressing: hearing on the tannoy at AG about Hillsborough & Bradford: Gary Smart's winner for the Sags after we battered them all game

Many many more.

Good: 

My Sisters boyfriend who was an Orient fan took me to AG to see them play the mighty Reds. At half time we are 1-3 down and I'm copping loads of grief. Full time we have won 5-3 and that shut his oversized mouth.

Bad:

The sound of Gerry Sharpes leg breaking

21 hours ago, glynriley said:

The moment that time stood still. 

Alan Walsh cross, Bobby Hutchinson header, then 5 minutes later (or so it seemed) Steve Neville sent us to Wembley for the first time. 

City 3 Hereford 0. What a night. 

Yeah, Neville dummied to shoot and got the keeper to commit early, then calmly slotted the ball home as cool as you like. Remember leaving the ground still not quite taking in that I'd actually get to see the City walk out at Wembley.

Archived