IGNORED

City `moments in time`, good or bad

Lanterne Rouge

20 hours ago, miser said:

Alan Walsh 89 minutes v Forest on the semi final. Think the goalie tipped it on to the post. Right behind the net in the East End. What if.......

What if indeed. I`m still convinced we would have beaten Luton in the final. The disappointment then would have been that in a normal season we would have qualified for Europe (LC winners did back then - UEFA Cup) and not being able to have our adventure as English clubs were banned post-Heysel.

Young Oskar Pyecroft walking the team out with Wilbs brought a lump to my throat,Tinmans sorry body language after the final whistle of that 7-1 defeat at Swansea(personally I think he was given the job too soon)and has to be the home win against Hereford and the subsequent win at Wembley.

High, Louis Carey scoring to put us ahead at Palace in the play offs in 2008, overshadowed by David Noble’s goal it was nevertheless a beauty and at the time made me feel anything was possible.

Low point, the referee pointing to the spot for a Brighton penalty at Cardiff in 2004.

Rochdale December 82, three years earlier we were in contention for Europe. In front of some 40 away fans we conceded the only goal of the game in the dying minutes to go 92nd. Tony Harling RIP sang a solo rendition of “We’ll win again, don’t know where, don’t know when, but I know some sunny day we’ll win again”. 

Good.   ..

The day we got promoted with gary johnson and going on the pitch and hugging all the players and singing, some kids litterally stole enoch showumni sweaty top!

Christian roberts goal to win the playoff semi final, i lost my glasses in the celebration, the dolman stand was shaking...

Bad.  ..

Watching us against wolves losing 5 nil, with the slowest striker on the pitch running from his own half and scoring, after taking on 5 of our players   ..... i had been used to the winning seasons us crashing down to earth and getting relegated was bad  ...

Losing in the playoff final to brighton, such a piss poor performance, i was depressed for weeks after, should of been promoted with danny wilson, i loved the football.

24th April 1999.

Home to Birmingham. Towards the end of the relegation season under Benny. We were playing better than we had been. Still in trouble but a cluster of clubs above us meant that 2 wins takes us out of the relegation zone with a small amount of games left. 

1-1 needing victory, we are on top. On loan David Howells gets hold of the ball in midfield and promptly decides to pass it backwards and it goes half way between our defender and goalkeeper and their striker pounced and scored. We never recovered, losing that game, then losing to Crewe before relegation was confirmed losing away at Sheffield United. Had we won that game, I feel we'd have stayed up but that moment appeared to drain all the morale out of side. 

Smith's goal.

Flint's header at the Etihad, from the stands it almost seemed to defy physics, was certain goal line tech was going to give it.

O'Donnell and the fireworks

Fielding doing a star jump in response to a shot in the 5-4 defeat to Coventry at Sixfields.

Beadle scoring an injury time equaliser with a 20+ yard volley after a corner was headed away.

Archived