IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

19 minutes ago, Super said:

Ireland v Italy in the rugby called off. Wonder if some of the European football games will go the same way.

At this rate it feels likely. The Olympics too. I think if that happens it'll be the least of our concerns 

Edited by Sturny

43 minutes ago, Super said:

Could easily see Euro 2020 cancelled.

Sadly think that’s a given. Even if it’s under control by then Euros would be the cause of so many mass gatherings across the continent not just at stadiums. Just remains to be seen how much freedom we’ll have when it really takes hold here regarding daily routine, work etc, small businesses must be really shitting it 

Edited by Bouncearoundtheground

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/02/28/no-guarantee-liverpool-would-crowned-premier-league-champions/

There is no guarantee Liverpool would be crowned Premier League champions if the season was curtailed by the coronavirus, Telegraph Sport can reveal.

There is also no guarantee the bottom three clubs would not be relegated, with no specific regulation in place governing such a scenario.

The rapid spread of the virus has raised the prospect of the Government ordering the cancellation of all sporting events in the UK for more than two months, something that could mean some fixtures never being played.

Were the Premier League season not completed, it is likely crisis talks would take place to determine whether previous results would be allowed to stand or whether the entire campaign was rendered null and void.

Any final ruling could depend on how many fixtures had been played, similar to the results of abandoned matches in some sporting competitions being allowed to stand if a certain percentage of them have been completed.

Depriving Liverpool of their first Premier League title given they are 22 points clear at the top and need only four more wins to be crowned champions would be hugely controversial.

But it would be equally controversial to relegate the bottom three if they are not already doomed when a halt is called to the season given the hundreds of millions of pounds at stake.

The same would apply to European qualification places and also promotion spots in the Championship, which also has play-offs for the final Premier League place.

15 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

There's been around 84,000 reported cases and of those 2,858 have died, so quite deadly...

about the same as flu!

Of course they have to contain in and do all they can to stop is spreading.

But this isnt the plague, like the media are making out.

On 25/02/2020 at 22:11, BS4 on Tour... said:

Less lethal? You sure? Less infections than flu at present but not necessarily ‘less lethal’ ...

Data is still sketchy but most reputable sources now seem to be saying it has a substantially higher death rate and is more contagious, not least of all because vulnerable people are not vaccinated against it - unlike flu.

Incidentally I’m due to take my son up to Wembley for the first time next month, I suspect that’s increasingly likely to be cancelled now.

Will be interesting to see what happens to the Euros if it goes pandemic.

I see Newcastle United have banned players from shaking hands at the training ground - something they’ve always done at the start of each session, to limit the risk of cross infection. 

Seems a bit extreme at first but when you consider the players are multi million pound ‘assets’ you wouldn’t want to risk losing one, let alone be the poor individual who gets infected.

I’d have thought they would have made it mandatory to wash hands in sanitising gel before any contact amongst the players. 

Edited by Red DNA

2 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

I see Newcastle United have banned players shaking hands at the training ground - something they’ve always done at the start of each session, to limit the risk of cross infection. 

Seems a bit extreme at first but when you consider the players are multi million pound ‘assets’ you wouldn’t want to risk losing one, let alone be the poor individual who gets infected  

I’d have thought they would have made it mandatory to wash hands in sanitising gel before any contact amongst the players. 

Football is a contact sport so seems pointless to me.

From the Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/27/covid-19-what-we-know-and-do-not-know-about-the-coronavirus

"The WHO says we still need more information about the severity of the disease. In China, where the vast majority of cases and deaths have so far occurred, we know that 81% of people have had only mild illness. Of the rest, 14% have severe disease, which may become pneumonia, and 5% have critical disease involving breathing problems and organ failure.

The death rate has been estimated at between 2 and 4% in Wuhan, where the epidemic began, but only 0.7% in the rest of China. But we still do not know how many people are not being counted in these statistics, because they suffer only a sore throat and do not go to hospital.

It is clear that those people with damaged or failing immune systems are most at risk. “Older people, and those with pre-existing medical conditions (such as high blood pressure, heart problems or diabetes) appear to be more vulnerable,” says the WHO. But we do not know why children, who are very susceptible to some diseases, do not seem to be much affected by Covid-19."

I think we'll be fine.

• Admin
6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

From the Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/27/covid-19-what-we-know-and-do-not-know-about-the-coronavirus

"The WHO says we still need more information about the severity of the disease. In China, where the vast majority of cases and deaths have so far occurred, we know that 81% of people have had only mild illness. Of the rest, 14% have severe disease, which may become pneumonia, and 5% have critical disease involving breathing problems and organ failure.

The death rate has been estimated at between 2 and 4% in Wuhan, where the epidemic began, but only 0.7% in the rest of China. But we still do not know how many people are not being counted in these statistics, because they suffer only a sore throat and do not go to hospital.

It is clear that those people with damaged or failing immune systems are most at risk. “Older people, and those with pre-existing medical conditions (such as high blood pressure, heart problems or diabetes) appear to be more vulnerable,” says the WHO. But we do not know why children, who are very susceptible to some diseases, do not seem to be much affected by Covid-19."

I think we'll be fine.

I am far from convinced we can believe figures coming from China, those reporting independently seem to have disappeared......

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

No, coronavirus is around 10 times as deadly as flu. 

I’m sure it helps that we have a vaccine for the most common forms of flu which no doubt keeps the mortality rate reasonably low amongst the most at risk groups. Obviously there is no vaccine for Covid-19.

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

No, COVID-19, the respiratory illness caused by Coronavirus, is indeed more deadly than flu, however this illness is overwhelmingly more likely to effect those with pre existing conditions or those who are elderly. You know full well a statement like that is misleading. 

14 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Around 2% of people who got the virus in china died. Thats about the same as flu no?

Either way, vast majority of people recover.

Edited by Riaz

On 23/02/2020 at 10:31, cidercity1987 said:

More likely games played behind closed doors, cancel the season no chance.

Is the right answer.

Though without wishing to steer onto the presumed thread on the subject elsewhere we have 19 confirmed cases a month after the first one; for comparison Swineflu (2009) had 10,000 cases in the UK a month after the first one and most people have even forgotten that was ever a threat.

It may or may not take off but at present the position of coronavirus in the UK is practically non-existent owing to the healthcare measures taken.

It's not often that I say this but well done the NHS and the government.

• Like 2