IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

6 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

it will soon be so prevalent that whether you go to sports fixtures or not will make little difference.  80% of the population will have it or get it and for most it will be mild.  At the moment containment will have some effect but by May it will be way beyond that point.  I really don't believe that this virus is stoppable.

The worrying bit is the 2% mortality rate, though normal flu is probably 1% isn't it.  I doubt that a vaccine will be available until the next flu season and because of the type of virus it is, I doubt whether it is going to burn itself out.

While we are in the containment phase, many events will be cancelled, but by May there will probably be no point.

80% of the population ? I think you’re being a bit dramatic.

On 29/02/2020 at 11:30, bristolcitysweden said:

Liverpool will be crowned champions and the European spots will be taken by the teams in that position once the season is cancelled but no team will be relegated from the PL and no team will be promoted from the Championship. All self evident. The same goes further down the fodder chain.  

It would be hilarious if Leeds were denied promotion this way 

So with our luck, the season will be cancelled just as we climb to 6th in the Championship.  As I can't see this virus being contained, I am not optimistic about the season continuing anyway.

Remember that if 2% of cases turn out to be fatal, maybe 1% of footballers could die too. That means an even chance of losing a squad member and maybe 400 of our fans. A truly horrible thought.  At least the Sags will only lose 120.

I don't suppose they will be refunding our season ticket money either.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

It would be hilarious if Leeds were denied promotion this way 

I suspect that the one thing you can say about the consequences of this virus is that they will be anything but hilarious!

7 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

So with our luck, the season will be cancelled just as we climb to 6th in the Championship.  As I can't see this virus being contained, I am not optimistic about the season continuing anyway.

Remember that if 2% of cases turn out to be fatal, maybe 1% of footballers could die too. That means an even chance of losing a squad member and maybe 400 of our fans. A truly horrible thought.  At least the Sags will only lose 120.

I don't suppose they will be refunding our season ticket money either.

A virus could well get smarter though while politicians are destined for the other direction

No politician will ever risk here position being any worse than politicians abroad. We listen to muppett Johnson. The Swiss don't allow events attracting more than 1,000 people.

Although most of them are totally braindead not a single politician in Europe will go any higher risking their position.

Edited by bristolcitysweden

On 29/02/2020 at 07:53, Kid in the Riot said:

It's considerably more dangerous than flu, and more contagious. 

What's your basis for it being more contagious? To be clear, I am not saying you are wrong but that I haven't seen this anywhere and the things I had read had suggested that, at the moment, it still was not clear exactly how contagious it is?  Clearly a lack of vaccine is a substantial issue which means people who are not vulnerable to most strains of flu due to vaccines are still vulnerable to this but I was not aware there was evidence of it being more contagious?

Edited by LondonBristolian

Is it wrong that I secretly hoped that Ighalo would infect the entire Man United squad just to punish them for making such a preposterous signing?! Oh it is? Sorry.

Has conspiracy theorists hypothesised that illuminati funded scientists created and spread the virus as a method of an eugenics motivated population cull? If not, I'm getting on Twitter forthwith...

57 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

That doesn’t appear to be reported anywhere mate?

It has been reported that one bloke who had worked in Finzels Reach has been diagnosed with it. They're giving his old office a Spring clean for good measure. 

This virus appears to affect those with underlying health conditions.

Just what do you tell the families who lose a loved one because they had an underlying health condition?

Personally, I'm not worried, however, I'm sympathetic to those who do worry.