IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

On 03/03/2020 at 17:34, pillred said:

Haven't noticed any massive runs on supermarkets, though statements like that certainly won't help. Must admit have been surprised there hasn't, usually in pill all it takes is a bank holiday with the shops closed for one day to see the shelves empty of bread milk etc.

Been out tonight to get some food in a supermarket - no tissues, no paracetamol no hand wash - madness

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Been out tonight to get some food in a supermarket - no tissues, no paracetamol no hand wash - madness

Same in Devon, add no kitchen wipes either! 

Utter madness, how am I supposed to get the curry off my kitchen tops now?

Exeter-based Flybe looks like it’s been pushed over the edge too tonight. That’s bad news for a few neighbours. 

Edited by RedRock

4 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

FlyBe has collapsed and blamed it partly on Corona Virus. To be fair they've had issues for a while but I expect the sudden drop in demand wont have helped against budgeted figures

Yeah I think that just brought forward the inevitable to be honest and probably saved the public purse a bit on bailout.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, MarcusX said:

I think i'm the same. I was in the "meh, this is overblown" category and I still think it will be all forgotten in a few weeks (or at least wont be dominating the media)

That said, we've had two people turn up to work who have recently been to North Italy just before it hit the news and another come back from Helsinki on Monday. We also work in an environment with lots of products shipped in and out from around the world, and lots of eastern european workers coming and going from across the continent so that chances of it coming in are probably higher than a typical office job. I've got a couple of relatives who are generally unwell already so I wouldn't want to potentially catch something and passing it on before I even realise I've got it.

I'm certainly not in panic mode, I'll be gutted if Glastonbury and the Euro's get cancelled

The speed things are moving actually means I'm not so sure that Glastonbury will be cancelled. As I understand it - which is almost definitely wrongly, admittedly - the rationale for cancelling largescale of events is to delay and slow down the spread and try to hold off and mitigate the moment where it gets into wider transmission. I can see Euro 2020 being cancelled as there will be countries the disease has not reached and you don't want people moving around Europe but it sounds like we are likely to be weeks rather than months away from the point where the disease is in wide circulation around the UK. Once it is being widely transmitted within communities, surely the benefit of cancelling largescale events disappears as everyone is being exposed already?

12 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

The speed things are moving actually means I'm not so sure that Glastonbury will be cancelled. As I understand it - which is almost definitely wrongly, admittedly - the rationale for cancelling largescale of events is to delay and slow down the spread and try to hold off and mitigate the moment where it gets into wider transmission. I can see Euro 2020 being cancelled as there will be countries the disease has not reached and you don't want people moving around Europe but it sounds like we are likely to be weeks rather than months away from the point where the disease is in wide circulation around the UK. Once it is being widely transmitted within communities, surely the benefit of cancelling largescale events disappears as everyone is being exposed already?

I guess it still mitigates the risk to a degree? You're still going to be bringing over 100k people to one place that would otherwise not come into contact with that many people? (using Glastonbury as an example)

42 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I guess it still mitigates the risk to a degree? You're still going to be bringing over 100k people to one place that would otherwise not come into contact with that many people? (using Glastonbury as an example)

With staff, stewards, police etc, I think the total number of people 'at' Glastonbury is nearer 200k than 100k, and with those being based nationwide and internationally, there is a risk that the virus could be shared and spread over a much wider area in the weeks after the festival, especially given that a festival environment is never the cleanest.

You also have to wonder if a festival would be a good use of emergency resources, if they maybe need to be employed elsewhere.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Not sure if they have confirmed how many in Bristol have it but I keep hearing "My mums mates got it" or "Someone in my work has it". Definately more going around then what the figures being given. 

That'll be people who want to work from home for a couple of weeks or while have done no research in to the issue.

If 'someone in work has it' you'd imagine that not only would it be headline news, but the person telling you this is phoning you from their position self isolation.

• Like 3

It's spreading in London right now which is a bit concerning. I see us being in a similar state that Italy are currently going through in a week, minus the quarantining of entire towns. 

This UK doctor on YouTube has been a very good source of info 

Edited by Sturny
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sturny said:

It's spreading in London right now which is a bit concerning. I see us being in a similar state that Italy are currently going through in a week, minus the quarantining of entire towns. 

Believe the number of UK cases has doubled in the last 2 days, it's now close to 120.

If it's doubling that quickly, then we're doomed! Doomed I tells ya.

I'm going to start stockpiling. Will start with booze and work back from there.

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Just read that the first recorded death from the virus has been reported in the UK.

An older patient with prior health problems. Very sad, but there will be more 

I think the UK has done the right things so far, you can’t call this a failure on the NHS part if even if the worst case scenario of 80% of the population catching the virus happens. Very very difficult to contain and how far it spreads will now come down to the peoples actions rather than the governments.  

5 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

An older patient with prior health problems. Very sad, but there will be more 

I think the UK has done the right things so far, you can’t call this a failure on the NHS part if even if the worst case scenario of 80% of the population catching the virus happens. Very very difficult to contain and how far it spreads will now come down to the peoples actions rather than the governments.  

Disagree. The Chinese authorities have done what is necessary. Up to you Johnson.

Edited by bristolcitysweden

1 hour ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Disagree. The Chinese authorities have done what is necessary. Up to you Johnson.

Almost as many cases in Sweden as here.

How are the authorities dealing with it differently there?

Edited by Nogbad the Bad

38 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Almost as many cases in Sweden as here.

How are the authorities dealing with it differently there?

Trying to track people they have been involved with. People came back from the winter sports week last Monday. Some of them from northern Italy. Luckily for you there is only one Eddie The Eagle. Also refugees/economic immigrants from Iran returning back to Sweden from holiday. Still possible to track each single individuals contacts but very soon closing in to impossible.  

Edited by bristolcitysweden