IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

31 minutes ago, pillred said:

3 cases just confirmed in Wiltshire, came back from Italy, when are we going to stop people going and coming back from there? seems almost everybody that comes back from there seems to have it.

Got a holiday in Italy in June.....or not  :dunno:

2 hours ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

An older patient with prior health problems. Very sad, but there will be more 

I think the UK has done the right things so far, you can’t call this a failure on the NHS part if even if the worst case scenario of 80% of the population catching the virus happens. Very very difficult to contain and how far it spreads will now come down to the peoples actions rather than the governments.  

Can't fault the NHS, they must be as nervous as anyone.

Reality is, with this flu having an incubation period of a few weeks before a lot of people show any symptoms, it could 'go large' it might have already 'gone large' and at this point we don't know and it will continue to spread.

All we can do, is follow the advice and try not to contribute towards spreading it.

Fingers crossed (having washed them thoroughly) that this is a storm in a tea cup, but it might turn out to be a bit more serious than that.

*orders shit tickets, hand wash and Natch*

1 hour ago, pillred said:

3 cases just confirmed in Wiltshire, came back from Italy, when are we going to stop people going and coming back from there? seems almost everybody that comes back from there seems to have it.

Exactly, my sister works for the NHS and she was looking after a very elderly patient recently - the lady’s daughter came in to visit her mum and my sister sat with her for half an hour talking to her about her mum, then the daughter revealed she’d flown in from Italy to visit her mum .... are we, as a country, irresponsible enough to let people fly in from significantly affected areas and then waltz into environments where elderly people are seriously ill?! It’s madness ...

• Like 4

On 23/02/2020 at 10:12, handsofclay said:

I've got a feeling that they'll cancel the season and make all results during it null and void when we are 3-0 up in the 64th minute of the Championship Play Off Final at Wembley.

Just imagine if this happens In the prem after LFC have waited 30 years for a title 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, pillred said:

Bloody hope it's not dragged on till then should be alright by then surely.

Should be ok - Sicily and Amalfi coast.

Problems currently north of there...

Edited by bcfc01

4 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

No cases in Bristol as of yet 

I have to be very careful what I say, but I will say that there are a sizeable number of suspected cases in Bristol who are self isolating. The majority of those are people who have been in countries such as Italy, Thailand and China and are now showing symptoms. The message from the authorities to people in positions of power is to suppress as much as possible to prevent panic.

One thing is certain, sport will be hit very hard. However, when it is sport v health it is a no brainer. I hope a deal can be done to give fans the chance to watch all behind clothes doors events on tv.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

I have to be very careful what I say, but I will say that there are a sizeable number of suspected cases in Bristol who are self isolating. The majority of those are people who have been in countries such as Italy, Thailand and China and are now showing symptoms. The message from the authorities to people in positions of power is to suppress as much as possible to prevent panic.

One thing is certain, sport will be hit very hard. However, when it is sport v health it is a no brainer. I hope a deal can be done to give fans the chance to watch all behind clothes doors events on tv.

Perhaps they could give match ticket holders, access to robins tv?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stedge said:

Perhaps they could give match ticket holders, access to robins tv?

I'd imagine it would be relatively easy for the EFL to stream all games on the Internet. The problem might be the money that SKY have paid to screen Championship matches exclusively. 

9 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Clothes doors....

Well that conjures up an unnecessary image.

'Cor, check out the frame on that!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

How do you know this mate?

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

No doubt whatsoever that there will be a large number of people in Bristol who are self isolating, for a start people will still be catching normal flu which produces very similar symptoms to Covid-19. Anyone returning from Iran, China (or anywhere in the Far East) or recent skiing trips to Northern Italy who develop cold or flu symptoms will also be suspected.

Then you’ve got their families that live with them.

I read that there have been over 16000 tests taken in the UK, only 100 or so proven positive so far. Obviously that will rise but I can only assume that all 16000 would’ve had to self isolate until the results were known.

Lots of people self isolating shouldn’t be a cause for panic.

Absolutely no one self isolating in a City of half a million people during the winter months when colds, flu and fever are relatively common would be terrifying under the current circumstances.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Am I the only one who reads 'covid-19' to the tune, 'Come On Eileen'?

Hopefully I have now ruined it for you as well. Because it has been annoying me.

Got the makings of a good new terrace song (if we're allowed)

I abhor the over reaction from some governments. Yes this is serious even if in the time it's been around a multiple of 60 have died from flu. A new virus kills the meak until an antidote is found; for the rest of us it's an irritating flu we will recover from. We should all get on with our lives. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Northern Red said:

It's like blaming your house being repossessed on a few days off work for a cold. I suspect Coronavirus is going to be a convenient excuse for every failure.

In the current economy, where viability is precarious even for some of the biggest businesses (looking at the high street chains, as an example) this sort of thing could well be the final nail in the coffin.

I dont think it's a convenient excuse, but a symptom of just how weak the economy is under the Tories, that we are potentially going to have to choose between the health of millions and keeping businesses and employment going... 

On 04/03/2020 at 13:02, BS2 Red said:

The risk to the elderly and people with underlying conditions is what has made me stop thinking it is overhyped nonsense.  I was talking with my uncle and my grandmother on Monday and he was joking with her that she’d be the first one to go.  It was all lighthearted but made me realise that although I will probably be fine, my older relatives may not be.  I don’t have many elderly relatives left, so this disease is worrying.

I have an uncle of 96 (97 in may) and my aunt is 96 and already am thinking of not visiting them because I dont want to think I could be a carrier. I am 69 and in good health but all the media 'hype' which changes daily as their thirst for news does not abate and it is them that will cause the hysteria. I believe we are facing a problem and it is not nonsense as you rightly say.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I abhor the over reaction from some governments. Yes this is serious even if in the time it's been around a multiple of 60 have died from flu. A new virus kills the meak until an antidote is found; for the rest of us it's an irritating flu we will recover from. We should all get on with our lives. 

This sort of thoughtless ambivalence and disregard for the vulnerable is more dangerous than any “overreaction”. Just getting on with our lives and making no adjustments for a virus with a 3% fatality rate will literally kill people.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

This sort of thoughtless ambivalence and disregard for the vulnerable is more dangerous than any “overreaction”. Just getting on with our lives and making no adjustments for a virus with a 3% fatality rate will literally kill people.

I've seen 3% death rates too but for some reason this site shows 6%... but it's "Just a flu" 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ 

In "Closed Cases" 

Edited by Sturny