IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

7 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I've seen 3% death rates too but for some reason this site shows 6%... but it's "Just a flu" 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ 

In "Closed Cases" 

My 3% is based on the following from the WHO:

“Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died. By comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1% of those infected.“

https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-covid-19---3-march-2020

I appreciate “reported” is a significant word there, but nonetheless it’s a clear statement from the WHO that the risk is substantially greater than ordinary flu.

16 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

This sort of thoughtless ambivalence and disregard for the vulnerable is more dangerous than any “overreaction”. Just getting on with our lives and making no adjustments for a virus with a 3% fatality rate will literally kill people.

All i am saying, personally, is thre isnt the need for the hysteria.

Yes the experts should do all they can, but people are panicking and theres no need.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

“Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died. By comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1% of those infected.“

https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-covid-19---3-march-2020

I appreciate “reported” is a significant word there, but nonetheless it’s a clear statement from the WHO that the risk is substantially greater than ordinary flu.

The WHO is far safer to go by of course.

People have to remember these death rates are occurring when hospitals are working fine. If even 5% of our population catch this the hospitals will be crammed and I'll be surprised if that rate doesn't rise. I agree with your earlier statement, people understating this are very self absorbed.  

• Like 1

I don't wish to play the threat of corona virus down, especially as someone who is over 60, has type 2 and only one kidney puts me in the at risk group, but we are miles off the government prediction of one fith of the workforce off work. As of yesterday the UK had 116 cases and one death from 18000 tested. The UK working population, including about 4M self employed in around 30M, a fifth of which is 6M. By all means take the threat seriously but let's not panic yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I don't wish to play the threat of corona virus down, especially as someone who is over 60, has type 2 and only one kidney puts me in the at risk group, but we are miles off the government prediction of one fith of the workforce off work. As of yesterday the UK had 116 cases and one death from 18000 tested. The UK working population, including about 4M self employed in around 30M, a fifth of which is 6M. By all means take the threat seriously but let's not panic yet. 

Fair play RF. I'm 69 but luckily no underlying probs ( I hope !!). Will be in South Stand tomorrow

4 hours ago, oldstandrobin said:

I have an uncle of 96 (97 in may) and my aunt is 96 and already am thinking of not visiting them because I dont want to think I could be a carrier. I am 69 and in good health but all the media 'hype' which changes daily as their thirst for news does not abate and it is them that will cause the hysteria. I believe we are facing a problem and it is not nonsense as you rightly say.

I think the major problem with something like this is trying to separate the areas where we should realistically be watchful and take action from the areas where people are panicking or doing things that just don't work.

I definitely think it is a real and serious problem and it is far better to be over-cautious than to minimise and dismiss the problem but I agree the media hype creates panic and hysteria beyond that which is helpful, to an extent that can actually be damaging and create a lot of fear. 

I saw someone making an interesting argument earlier, which is that it would be good if the newspapers and the media reported the survival rates, as well as the fatalities. People would still get the info they need but it would also reassure people that, even in the highest risk groups, the vast majority of people are surviving the illness. Don't get me wrong - the death rate is 15% for over-80s about 11% for all people with cardiovascular disease and that is a frighteningly high figure (especially given that I have a heart condition myself!) but, whilst you want people to prepare and take proportionate risks, you certainly don't want older people or people with pre-existing conditions becoming depressed or frightened that this is something they cannot possibly survive and I think the media could be better at reassuring those groups that most people are recovering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

I have to be very careful what I say, but I will say that there are a sizeable number of suspected cases in Bristol who are self isolating. The majority of those are people who have been in countries such as Italy, Thailand and China and are now showing symptoms. The message from the authorities to people in positions of power is to suppress as much as possible to prevent panic.

One thing is certain, sport will be hit very hard. However, when it is sport v health it is a no brainer. I hope a deal can be done to give fans the chance to watch all behind clothes doors events on tv.

Absolutely. 
I returned from Benalmádena on Sunday. 2 confirmed cases were found in Fuengarola, the next town along. I know 2 people who advised their employers of this and they were advised to work at home for the week. 
There will likely be lots of people working from home on the agreement of their employers. And that’s of course the best thing to do if you have that facility. 

I’m certain I’ve already had this anyway. 
My sister-in-law regularly travels to China. She returned just before Xmas with ailments and was told she had pneumonia. Docs gave her some pretty strong pills. She was ill for a few weeks. 
I spent Xmas at her house and me and my wife both got ill a few days after. As did my parents-in-law who were also in the same house for a few days over Xmas. 

Whilst the first ‘coronavirus’ case wasn’t announced until late Jan, I know that there was a significant increase in pneumonia cases in China from November through December. I have reason to believe that this new strain of pneumonia that they were experiencing was in fact corona, but of course only cases after 25th jan will be diagnosed as such. 

Anyway - all my family have had this and we’re all ok now. Even the 70+ year old in-laws. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I'm all for listening to experts and taking their advice seriously.

But I have seen nothing to suggest Roger Daltrey us remotely qualified to be leading this.

The WHO?

Given he hoped to die before he got old, I don't recommend looking to him for advice on survival.

• Flames 1

19 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Disagree. The Chinese authorities have done what is necessary. Up to you Johnson.

Agreed. Hindsight will tell us that allowing millions of people to attend sporting events this week, and ongoing, will have been a very bad idea.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Harry said:

Absolutely. 
I returned from Benalmádena on Sunday. 2 confirmed cases were found in Fuengarola, the next town along. I know 2 people who advised their employers of this and they were advised to work at home for the week. 
There will likely be lots of people working from home on the agreement of their employers. And that’s of course the best thing to do if you have that facility. 

I’m certain I’ve already had this anyway. 
My sister-in-law regularly travels to China. She returned just before Xmas with ailments and was told she had pneumonia. Docs gave her some pretty strong pills. She was ill for a few weeks. 
I spent Xmas at her house and me and my wife both got ill a few days after. As did my parents-in-law who were also in the same house for a few days over Xmas. 

Whilst the first ‘coronavirus’ case wasn’t announced until late Jan, I know that there was a significant increase in pneumonia cases in China from November through December. I have reason to believe that this new strain of pneumonia that they were experiencing was in fact corona, but of course only cases after 25th jan will be diagnosed as such. 

Anyway - all my family have had this and we’re all ok now. Even the 70+ year old in-laws. 

Yep, and this also adds into the 3-4% mortality rate being probably overestimated. There could be potentially be up to 10x the amount of people that have it only showing relatively mild symptoms. None of these people would have been included in the current figures, artificially elevating the perceived rate of mortality (as the death rate should be reported correctly either way). 

Quite an informative article on infomullet. 

http://infomullet.com/2020/03/02/covid19mentalmodel/?fbclid=IwAR3dqRkPKMT_q9S2vFDwMg7VBZSw5SJqc4d2YgECgDfurR9QrS7mL28M5XI

2 minutes ago, Super said:

First person in Bristol confirmed. Just back from Northern Italy.

Bristol Post saying he self isolated immediately after he returned, which is good news at least. I hope it doesn't spread fast

Edited by Sturny
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Super said:

First person in Bristol confirmed. Just back from Northern Italy.

I know somebody who was on the same flight.  A bloke my wife works with received a phone call yesterday to say there was somebody with coronavirus on the plane.

My wife is now terrified, but I have been trying to tell her that it’s unlikely her workmate has caught it and unlikely again that she has caught it from him. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Bristol Post saying he self isolated immediately after he returned

I know we shouldn't joke about this, but perhaps he could self-isolate by playing in the centre-forward role for us. Up alone with very little contact with anyone else on the pitch. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sturny said:

Bristol Post saying he self isolated immediately after he returned, which is good news at least. I hope it doesn't spread fast

Seems very lax if passengers arriving from N Italy are not health screened or quarantined.

N Italy appears to be more of a threat than China.

Hundreds/thousands kept on a cruise ships, whereas travel to and from N Italy carries on unchecked, or so it appears.

Never mind, wash your hands and sing happy birthday.

4 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

But don’t worry, at least football players won’t be shaking hands before the game so they wont catch Coronavirus, the thousands of fans watching in the stadium however...

Anyone found coughing or sneezing will be ejeculated from the ground.

???

Edited by wendyredredrobin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thameswey Red said:

I won’t be going to game tomorrow because of Coronavirus. I had invited my dad over to stay for the weekend with the plan of going to the game . He is in his 80’s with pre existing health conditions and wants to avoid crowds so we will be watching the game on Sky instead. 

Sounds very wise. Your dad will be proud of you.

Edited by bristolcitysweden
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BarnzFM said:

Get on with our lives and spread it to the meek? Got a survival of the fittest vibe to you. 

No need to twist what I said or were you unable to comprehend. One or other.

7 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

This sort of thoughtless ambivalence and disregard for the vulnerable is more dangerous than any “overreaction”. Just getting on with our lives and making no adjustments for a virus with a 3% fatality rate will literally kill people.

Like the other chap you have ever so slightly over egged what I said. The fact is there is no antidote but you are not going to die unless you are very weak or very unhealthy in which case of course stay away from a crowd much the same if you have flu which, even with an antidote, killed hundreds of thousands last year and does every year. Get a grip. Hysteria is beyond a joke.

7 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

If you are seriously weak or ill. Otherwise get over it and get back to work. ... Exactly like flu. 

2 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

No need to twist what I said or were you unable to comprehend. One or other.

Like the other chap you have ever so slightly over egged what I said. The fact is there is no antidote but you are not going to die unless you are very weak or very unhealthy in which case of course stay away from a crowd much the same if you have flu which, even with an antidote, killed hundreds of thousands last year and does every year. Get a grip. Hysteria is beyond a joke.

If you are seriously weak or ill. Otherwise get over it and get back to work. ... Exactly like flu. 

But it is much more dangerous than flu. People can take precautions which will protect themselves and stop elderly and ill  people dying.

4 minutes ago, windmillhillred said:

But it is much more dangerous than flu. People can take precautions which will protect themselves and stop elderly and ill  people dying.

Sturney and Red's links illustrate what we are already seeing which is most people recovering after a few days just like flu because it is a flu albeit a new strain. Even though we have an antidote for flu people still die in very large numbers and yet we do not panic do we. The percentages frankly are all over the place and this is very misleading. The fact is people will die of all kinds of things no more and no less harmful than Covid 19 so it is no more dangerous IF you are ordinarily healthy because it is not a killer. 

What whips this up is the media. If there is no story out there they will find one. They always do so they have something to ram home day in day out. Govt's are then forced to act or the population go mad. That's modern society for you.

• Like 4