IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

28 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Any chance that there might be some hot water in the toilets tomorrow, for hand washing purposes?  Normally I leave the toilet with near frostbite, after rinsing my hands with ice-cold water and then giving them a blast from the arctic hand-dryers...

Good luck with that!

The water and hand dryers are warmer in the Lansdown Stand loos than the Dolman.

6 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

I'm hoping the bloke behind me is a bit calmer tomorrow. Normal get covered in spit after he has an outburst at Johnson. I also presume the players won't be grabbing and holding shirts tomorrow, spitting on the floor or clearing their noses onto the pitch.

What a hilarious carry on. 

6 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

I know somebody who was on the same flight.  A bloke my wife works with received a phone call yesterday to say there was somebody with coronavirus on the plane.

My wife is now terrified, but I have been trying to tell her that it’s unlikely her workmate has caught it and unlikely again that she has caught it from him. 

5 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

Seems very lax if passengers arriving from N Italy are not health screened or quarantined.

N Italy appears to be more of a threat than China.

Hundreds/thousands kept on a cruise ships, whereas travel to and from N Italy carries on unchecked, or so it appears.

Never mind, wash your hands and sing happy birthday.

Someone at my wife's work is returning from N Italy tomorrow and has already been told to work from home for two weeks. 

Apparently he's had the audacity to be very unhappy about this, despite there being a couple of vulnerable people in the office including a lady who's 7 months pregnant.

I honestly despair at the selfishness of some people. He could have easily cancelled or postponed his trip, but no he HAD to go despite knowing the possible consequences and is now whinging about it.

All it takes is a bit of discipline and the virus can't spread. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, havanatopia said:

No need to twist what I said or were you unable to comprehend. One or other.

Like the other chap you have ever so slightly over egged what I said. The fact is there is no antidote but you are not going to die unless you are very weak or very unhealthy in which case of course stay away from a crowd much the same if you have flu which, even with an antidote, killed hundreds of thousands last year and does every year. Get a grip. Hysteria is beyond a joke.

If you are seriously weak or ill. Otherwise get over it and get back to work. ... Exactly like flu. 

Odd how making a calm, considered, factually accurate point prompts people to say things like “get a grip” and “hysteria is beyond a joke”.

It is a fact that the fatality rate is substantially higher than flu, and it is also a fact that we can all take simple measures to help prevent the spread to vulnerable people who would otherwise survive. And it’s not hysteria to state that.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RedDave said:

I would hope the answer to this is no, especially non-elderly people or people with medical conditions. Chances of catching anything are so remote. Live your life, people!

RD - it wasn’t so long ago you were posting on here that it was ‘ridiculous’ to consider games behind closed doors or postponed etc - and you said there was ‘barely a case in this country’ and ‘China had got a grip on it.’

This has evolved every day and has got progressively worse, but now you are saying the ‘chances of catching anything are so remote’ - I’m certainly not one to panic, but you have been so wrong - and it’s the vulnerable people we have to consider, what could be a mild illness in one person could be a life threatening condition in another person if it is spread to them... we have to consider all people in our communities and act responsibly ...

• Like 5

As a  Raynauds sufferer, I'm not encouraged to properly hand wash with ice cold water and cold air driers. Please BCFC stop penny pinching at this level with such a big risk to health.

I note that the premier league are now considering banning over 70's or at least advising them not to attend matches. I'm guessing that the EFL may follow suit.

Edited by wendyredredrobin

I keep hearing people claiming that “people are panicking”. Where is this apparent panic? Strikes me that more people are claiming there’s a panic, than there are people actually panicking!

What I’ve seen in the main - much like this thread - is sensible discussion, an appreciation that the fatality rate is low, but equally an understanding that it does represent a threat to some members of our society, that it does have the potential to become a bigger problem, and that there are measures we can take to help prevent the spread. Meanwhile everyone is still going about their business unless they have a specific reason not to do so.

None of the above constitutes a “panic”.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

RD - it wasn’t so long ago you were posting on here that it was ‘ridiculous’ to consider games behind closed doors or postponed etc - and you said there was ‘barely a case in this country’ and ‘China had got a grip on it.’

This has evolved every day and has got progressively worse, but now you are saying the ‘chances of catching anything are so remote’ - I’m certainly not one to panic, but you have been so wrong - and it’s the vulnerable people we have to consider, what could be a mild illness in one person could be a life threatening condition in another person if it is spread to them... we have to consider all people in our communities and act responsibly ...

When was I wrong?  I said it would be ridiculous to cancel or postpone the season. And it would be. There is barely a case in this country!  Again, that wasn’t wrong. China situation is improving.  If it isn’t why are factories opening again and capacity increasing?  15% capacity last week. 25% this week.  I’ve got a 2-3 week delay on goods.  Not too bad.  

Thanks for confirming my correct statements. Seems like you are allowing the hyped up media to sweep you up.   

Have I suggested we act irresponsibly? Your post is very odd indeed.  

Everyone should go about their lives as normal and take the recommended precautions.  Not attending football matches is not currently a recommended precaution.

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I keep hearing people claiming that “people are panicking”. Where is this apparent panic? Strikes me that more people are claiming there’s a panic, than there are people actually panicking!

What I’ve seen in the main - much like this thread - is sensible discussion, an appreciation that the fatality rate is low, but equally an understanding that it does represent a threat to some members of our society, that it does have the potential to become a bigger problem, and that there are measures we can take to help prevent the spread. Meanwhile everyone is still going about their business unless they have a specific reason not to do so.

None of the above constitutes a “panic”.

I think the panic is shown with the stockpiling.  Why people are stock piling toilet roll, pasta and tinned goods I really do not know!  Absolutely ridiculous 

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

When was I wrong?  I said it would be ridiculous to cancel or postpone the season. And it would be. There is barely a case in this country!  Again, that wasn’t wrong. China situation is improving.  If it isn’t why are factories opening again and capacity increasing?  15% capacity last week. 25% this week.  I’ve got a 2-3 week delay on goods.  Not too bad.  

Thanks for confirming my correct statements. Seems like you are allowing the hyped up media to sweep you up.   

Everyone should go about their lives as normal and take the recommended precautions.  Not attending football matches is not currently a recommended precaution.

Barely a case ?

Unsurprisingly we’ve  had the largest jump in the number of cases reported in UK

’Only’ two fatalities to date

There is a over reaction , but in the same way your post is arrogant and dismissive

You may be more concerned, and not so arrogant  if you had vulnerable children or elderly relatives or friends 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I said I’m not one to panic, I certainly haven’t allowed any media hype to ‘sweep me up’ - I still think I’m more likely to get bitten by a snake or kicked to death by a donkey - but it doesn’t mean you weren’t wrong - ‘barely a case in this country’ without thinking about the near future was incorrect .... the cases in this country have doubled over a few days ...not sure why my post expressing concern about vulnerable people is dismissed by you as being ‘odd’ ?! 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I said I’m not one to panic, I certainly haven’t allowed any media hype to ‘sweep me up’ - I still think I’m more likely to get bitten by a snake or kicked to death by a donkey - but it doesn’t mean you weren’t wrong - ‘barely a case in this country’ without thinking about the near future was incorrect .... the cases in this country have doubled over a few days ...not sure why my post expressing concern about vulnerable people is dismissed by you as being ‘odd’ ?! 

So insignificant we are budgeting £40 million to try and find a anti virus 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Sturney and Red's links illustrate what we are already seeing which is most people recovering after a few days just like flu because it is a flu albeit a new strain. Even though we have an antidote for flu people still die in very large numbers and yet we do not panic do we. The percentages frankly are all over the place and this is very misleading. The fact is people will die of all kinds of things no more and no less harmful than Covid 19 so it is no more dangerous IF you are ordinarily healthy because it is not a killer. 

What whips this up is the media. If there is no story out there they will find one. They always do so they have something to ram home day in day out. Govt's are then forced to act or the population go mad. That's modern society for you.

Nail on the head. Brexit has simmered down and the media and tabloids are absolutely desperate for another story to ram home, Covid 19 has come at absolutely perfect timing. The general public are so easy to predict, mass hysteria soon ensues and as you said the government are forced to do something. Its all absolute bollox that will blow over in a few months.

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Doubled from an extremely low base.  When we are talking such low numbers it is no surprise it has risen.  Look at the facts and numbers and you will see the chances of contracting anything is very remote.  Not sure how much you are across all of this.  As I’ve said in previous posts, I have to get advice from experts for business reasons. I am just taking what I am told from experts as facts at the time I am told. Nothing else. Maybe you have similar exposure to people in the know, I’ve no idea. 

Still stand by it being ridiculous to suggest the season might be cancelled or postponed but let’s wait and see eh. Would be very surprised with a chance of getting CV at around 0.0000024%

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Absolutely... @RedDave is never wrong though... you can tell that from the zillion posts he places on most matchday threads - anyone would think he doesn’t actually go to the games! Perish the thought! 

I haven’t gone to as many games as I would have liked this season. Thankfully I get to watch all the games I cannot attend at home.   The reasons I have only attended about 10 games this season is two fold. Two separate serious family illnesses which mean I have to be at home a lot. Hope that’s okay with you. Fingers crossed.  

Ive blocked bob so no idea what that part of the conversation is about but no doubt he was slagging me off the same as he slags most off 

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Doubled from an extremely low base.  When we are talking such low numbers it is no surprise it has risen.  Look at the facts and numbers and you will see the chances of contracting anything is very remote.  Not sure how much you are across all of this.  As I’ve said in previous posts, I have to get advice from experts for business reasons. I am just taking what I am told from experts as facts at the time I am told. Nothing else. Maybe you have similar exposure to people in the know, I’ve no idea. 

Still stand by it being ridiculous to suggest the season might be cancelled or postponed but let’s wait and see eh. Would be very surprised with a chance of getting CV at around 0.0000024%

0.0000024% ?! Where did you get that from? I’m not looking for a row mate, it’s too late on a Friday, but happy to discuss where you get such reassuring stats ...

16 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I think the panic is shown with the stockpiling.  Why people are stock piling toilet roll, pasta and tinned goods I really do not know!  Absolutely ridiculous 

Panic buying yes, but I think that’s a response to the prospect of self-isolation, rather than panic about the virus itself. A society truly “panicking” would amount to a lot more than a shortage of loo roll at Tesco.

I think the overwhelming majority of us appreciate the risk is small and are continuing to go about our daily business.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I haven’t gone to as many games as I would have liked this season. Thankfully I get to watch all the games I cannot attend at home.   The reasons I have only attended about 10 games this season is two fold. Two separate serious family illnesses which mean I have to be at home a lot. Hope that’s okay with you. Fingers crossed.  

Ive blocked bob so no idea what that part of the conversation is about but no doubt he was slagging me off the same as he slags most off 

Apologies Dave, my post was insensitive... I’m genuinely sorry

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RedDave said:

No problem. We’ve all done it.  Not healthy to agree with bob though! First sign of madness!

Coming from someone who rarely goes to games , posts dribble about a whole host of subjects ,   as a second occupation ( and someone who thought Corbyn could win a General Election ? )

Priceless 

?

PS

Did you go to Huddersfield .......it’s just that you havnt mentioned whether you were

?

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1