IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

Pretty sure that more people will die as a result of sleeping on the street than this virus. The advice from qualified people has generally been pretty good, sadly swamped by press hysteria and an incoherent and contradictory Government response. I just find it odd that they talk about cancelling sport and other events, but being crammed into public transport like sardines is somehow OK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Well that is the percentage of the UK that has had the virus so far as I understand it. About 170-odd cases. 

That’s not the same thing as the chance of getting it as some point though is it. When the chief medical officer talks about a worst-case scenario of 80% population infection and 20% of the workforce off sick, clearly the threat is greater than that - even if the outbreak eventually proves to be far less widespread than the worst-case projection.

Clearly based on the current infection rate there wouldn’t be any need to cancel the season or take other drastic measures. It’s the potential evolution of the scenario that could prompt such steps - and we simply don’t know yet how it will pan out.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Pretty sure that more people will die as a result of sleeping on the street than this virus. The advice from qualified people has generally been pretty good, sadly swamped by press hysteria and an incoherent and contradictory Government response. I just find it odd that they talk about cancelling sport and other events, but being crammed into public transport like sardines is somehow OK.

It’s about the balance of risk versus economic and societal impact.

Cancelling sport is relatively inconsequential and is an easy way to reduce spread.

Closing down transport systems brings society grinding to a halt and creates a whole host of knock-on problems and economic damage.

Choosing to cancel sport whilst keeping transport systems running is a pragmatic attempt to strike that balance. It’s not the same as saying it’s OK. 

If the situation became truly dire, then it could become necessary to take more drastic steps like closing down the tube.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Coming from someone who rarely goes to games , posts dribble about a whole host of subjects ,   as a second occupation ( and someone who thought Corbyn could win a General Election ? )

Priceless 

?

PS

Did you go to Huddersfield .......it’s just that you havnt mentioned whether you were

?

Thought I’d click on one post to see what nonsense you have posted again. Blocking you is better than interacting. More lies. Never said Corbyn would win. Before this season I went to 25 games a season. 10 this season for reasons explained. Careful you don’t get another ban for sending threats on a forum.  Big strong Bob.  

Back to being blocked. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Thought I’d click on one post to see what nonsense you have posted again. Blocking you is better than interacting. More lies. Never said Corbyn would win. Before this season I went to 25 games a season. 10 this season for reasons explained. Careful you don’t get another ban for sending threats on a forum.  Big strong Bob.  

Back to being blocked. 

Amazing it took you so long to have a nose womble

Keyboard and armchair politician and expert , all from behind a keyboard

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

28 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Not sure if posted already but suggestion that over 70's to be banned from attending football matches?

Sky reporting it, government to meet with premier league and other governing bodies early next week

3 hours ago, Harry said:

I noticed at tonight’s Forest Millwall game there was no handshake pre match but everyone had a really good handshake after the match. 
What was the point? 

Maybe grass is a natural antibiotic? ?

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Over 200 deaths in Italy so far

But don’t listen to the authorities , ignore them and listen to the toy salesman from St George - he’s the expert 

?

2 hours ago, Super said:

Anybody not taking this seriously and thinking this will pass soon are very naive.

A little perspective is called for that is all. Annually we have between 290,000 and 650,000 deaths from flu. That's a about a 0.06% death rate of the 3 to 5 million contracting it. No hysteria there that I can see. We just take it in our stride. Covid 19 death rate, percentage wise, is much higher, obviously because it is a new strain and new strains always spike, but the recovery rate is fairly swift for the vast majority and the overall numbers are tiny and manageable. Will those rise? Yes clearly. Should we listen and act on hysteria? Of course not. I think the British govt response is far more sensible than the Italian, for example.

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I keep hearing people claiming that “people are panicking”. Where is this apparent panic? Strikes me that more people are claiming there’s a panic, than there are people actually panicking!

What I’ve seen in the main - much like this thread - is sensible discussion, an appreciation that the fatality rate is low, but equally an understanding that it does represent a threat to some members of our society, that it does have the potential to become a bigger problem, and that there are measures we can take to help prevent the spread. Meanwhile everyone is still going about their business unless they have a specific reason not to do so.

None of the above constitutes a “panic”.

Just to add to this - having admittedly made a less than helpful contribution to this discussion earlier (apologies @Riaz etc) - that people should also be respected for making their own personal choices in response to this.

Nobody should be criticised for not going to a particular event or adjusting their daily lives in whichever way they see fit, in my view, because everyone has their own reasons for doing so.

Many, many people also suffer with anxiety and other mental health issues and their response, while seeming over the top, may just be what they consider proportionate within their own personal circumstances.

A relative of mine who suffered from severe anxiety and eventually took their own life as a consequence likely would’ve responded to this in a way many in this thread would be regarding as ridiculous or, indeed, panicky.

So, please, advise, discuss and converse but don’t pretend to be an expert and always be kind and respectful because we are all entitled to react in whatever way makes us feel comfortable and at ease.

Just wanted to add some balance.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Super said:

Anybody not taking this seriously and thinking this will pass soon are very naive.

Trying to predict this is like the weather. you can predict so far into the future but there further you go the more it just becomes guess work as one small change could effect the outcome. People have all seem to become experts on this when the reality is nobody has a clue what will happen . expect the best but prepare for the worst is surely the best thing we can all do.

10 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Sturney and Red's links illustrate what we are already seeing which is most people recovering after a few days just like flu because it is a flu albeit a new strain. Even though we have an antidote for flu people still die in very large numbers and yet we do not panic do we. The percentages frankly are all over the place and this is very misleading. The fact is people will die of all kinds of things no more and no less harmful than Covid 19 so it is no more dangerous IF you are ordinarily healthy because it is not a killer. 

What whips this up is the media. If there is no story out there they will find one. They always do so they have something to ram home day in day out. Govt's are then forced to act or the population go mad. That's modern society for you.

Exactly this.... Remember only a couple of weeks ago when Caroline Flack had died? Coronavirus was barely mentioned for like a week, until people got bored of that story[ as harsh as it sounds].

Even the BBC lead with "Iran closes all schools and universities for a month" now while the fact is actually true. What they fail to mention until the last line of the story is that in fact after next Friday the schools are on holiday for 3 weeks anyway. Headline wouldn't quite sound as scary tho is they put "Iran lets kids break up a week early" does it!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’m am taking it very seriously. I have a underlying health issue in my lungs which if I caught this could be very bad for me . I  am also following all the advice especially as I work in the nhs and I get information in the role I do. To people who are fit and healthy just think of people who are more vulnerable. Anyway enough of this . 

I got an exciting game of football to get ready for .  :rofl2br:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

But don’t worry, at least football players won’t be shaking hands before the game so they wont catch Coronavirus, the thousands of fans watching in the stadium however...

I find it mind-numbingly stupid to give Coronavirus one last huge hurrah this weekend. 

When cases are 1500 this time next week, we'll have secured 5-10,000 for the week after with people in such close proximity shouting and singing. 

Why are people so bothered with alcohol gel when they're off to mix with 20,000/30,000 people or more? 

Now, they might not care if they get it, but if they do they'll be securing transmission to their family, friends and colleagues. 

Just be aware, if you get it, you could be responsible for passing it to thousands down the chain. 

Let's just hope your parents and grandparents aren't put at risk by you. 

Even my own elderly parents are stupidly off for a weekend break to a hotel. Idiots. 

Still, for many of you, it will be the first time youve considered washing your hands after taking a piss at Ashton Gate ?

Enjoy the game. 

Edit: to provide some context I should explain that for families like mine this is incredibly serious. We cannot risk visitors, we cannot risk any optional contact as the consequences could be grave. 

As it stands, we have banned all visitors from our house, all visits elsewhere. Our shopping is delivered and left at the door. Our children are days from being pulled from school. Myself and my daughter may need to move out for months, maybe. I may even need to resign my job to isolate myself. 

If my son contracts it, well...

The casual flippancy in general I find offensive. Its people like my son we should all be working to protect and there is little evidence of it. There are hundreds of thousands like him. 

The time to beat it is now, not next week. 

Edited by CotswoldRed
  • Like 3
  • Robin 1

9 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It’s about the balance of risk versus economic and societal impact.

Cancelling sport is relatively inconsequential and is an easy way to reduce spread.

Closing down transport systems brings society grinding to a halt and creates a whole host of knock-on problems and economic damage.

Choosing to cancel sport whilst keeping transport systems running is a pragmatic attempt to strike that balance. It’s not the same as saying it’s OK. 

If the situation became truly dire, then it could become necessary to take more drastic steps like closing down the tube.

In some ways I agree, but you either do one thing or another, as there are economic impacts with any cancellation. A lot of Government responses (Particularly the oaf Hancock) just point airily to DWP support for self-isolation, yet he clearly does not know their rules and requirements. It’s like ministers are washing their hands (?) of any actual responsibility, or offering any real support to businesses/ individuals. 
Ironic thing is that Amazon will probably do well as people stay home... A company who contribute about zero in taxes!

Edited by Chappers
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Chappers said:

In some ways I agree, but you either do one thing or another, as there are economic impacts with any cancellation. A lot of Government responses (Particularly the oaf Hancock) just point airily to DWP support for self-isolation, yet he clearly does not know their rules and requirements. It’s like ministers are washing their hands (?) of any actual responsibility, or offering any real support to businesses/ individuals. 
Ironic thing is that Amazon will probably do well as people stay home... A company who contribute about zero in taxes!

People don't like the economic impact, until its one of their family who dies. Then the economic factor is less important. 

I've no way of proving it, of course not, but I'm sure someone will directly/indirectly be infected and die as a direct result of football matches this weekend. Is that really worth it? 

Edited by CotswoldRed

31 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Edit: to provide some context I should explain that for families like mine this is incredibly serious. We cannot risk visitors, we cannot risk any optional contact as the consequences could be grave. 

As it stands, we have banned all visitors from our house, all visits elsewhere. Our shopping is delivered and left at the door. Our children are days from being pulled from school. Myself and my daughter may need to move out for months, maybe. I may even need to resign my job to isolate myself. 

If my son contracts it, well...

Respect

No doubt some on here will think ‘Wtf’ , but in your situation it must be extremely tough , and complicated 

Your family doing what’s best for another - Admire you

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Someone at my wife's work is returning from N Italy tomorrow and has already been told to work from home for two weeks. 

Apparently he's had the audacity to be very unhappy about this, despite there being a couple of vulnerable people in the office including a lady who's 7 months pregnant.

I honestly despair at the selfishness of some people. He could have easily cancelled or postponed his trip, but no he HAD to go despite knowing the possible consequences and is now whinging about it.

All it takes is a bit of discipline and the virus can't spread. 

A bloke I work with is going to Italy this weekend skiing for a week - he told HR and they told him not to come in the office when he returns until he's certain he hasn't contracted it.  I would have cancelled the trip myself.  I'm not worried about getting it myself as I am reasonably healthy but I am scared my dad will get it as he has lung disease, diabetes and lung cancer (these are the people we should really be trying to protect)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

A bloke I work with is going to Italy this weekend skiing for a week - he told HR and they told him not to come in the office when he returns until he's certain he hasn't contracted it.  I would have cancelled the trip myself.  I'm not worried about getting it myself as I am reasonably healthy but I am scared my dad will get it as he has lung disease, diabetes and lung cancer (these are the people we should really be trying to protect)

I was supposed to be flying to Milan next weekend to visit my niece and take in AC v Roma. That has all been scratched. She is presently at home in Nice not knowing when she can get back to Uni in Milan.

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

People don't like the economic impact, until its one of their family who dies. Then the economic factor is less important. 

I've no way of proving it, of course not, but I'm sure someone will directly/indirectly be infected and die as a direct result of football matches this weekend. Is that really worth it? 

Just for the record, my wife is high risk, but you can’t just live in some bubble, there are many other things that could affect her, like flu. I just can’t go with this media hype and panic-mongering, sensible precautions yes, panic and over-reaction, no.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I'm currently on Gloucester Road having coffee and breakfast. So far I have seen 6 people wearing face masks.

Which is far from normal. So clearly people are taking this seriously, or at least trying to protect themselves.

The misconception of facemasks:

https://www.livescience.com/face-mask-new-coronavirus.html?fwa

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I'm currently on Gloucester Road having coffee and breakfast. So far I have seen 6 people wearing face masks.

Which is far from normal. So clearly people are taking this seriously, or at least trying to protect themselves.

Think , in fairness, you need to bear in mind your proximity to the swamp 

?

Edited by BobBobSuperBob