IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

7 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

I agree fully with the last sentence however it is worth noting that Italy has the oldest population in Europe and the second oldest in the world. That mortality rate doesn’t represent the wider number 

Yep, something to be said for a diet of pasta, fish, olives tomatos and salad swilled down with a glass of Chianti or two, I think.

Edited by wendyredredrobin
  • Like 1

Average age of those who have died of coronavirus in Italy I believe stands at 81.

About the age that vulnerable people start to die anyway.

I bet I get that gas emoji from the same poster again, but this is a fact.

This will all blow over (oops, not the best phrase)

Edited by AppyDAZE

2 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Average age of those who have died of coronavirus in Italy I believe stands at 81.

I bet I get the gas emoji from the same poster again, but this is a fact.

I assume that you are not 81 then ?

• Like 1

• Admin

UK Virus ALERT

The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent virus threat and have therefore raised their threat level from “Miffed” to “Peeved.”

Soon, though, level may be raised yet again to “Irritated” or even “A Bit Cross.”

The English have not been “A Bit Cross” since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies nearly ran out. The virus has been re-categorized from “Tiresome” to “A Bloody Nuisance.”

The last time the British issued a “Bloody Nuisance” warning level was in 1588, when threatened by the Spanish Armada. The Scots have raised their threat level from “Pissed Off” to “Let's Get the Bastard.”

They don't have any other levels. This is the reason they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years. The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its alert level from “Run” to “Hide.”

The only two higher levels in France are “Collaborate” and “Surrender.” The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralyzing the country's military capability.

Italy has increased the alert level from “Shout Loudly and Excitedly” to “Elaborate Military Posturing.” Two more levels remain: “Ineffective Combat Operations” and “Change Sides.”

The Germans have increased their alert state from “Disdainful Arrogance” to “Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs.” They also have two higher levels: “Invade a Neighbour” and “Lose.”

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual; the only threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels.

The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy. These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish navy can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.

Australia, meanwhile, has raised its alert level from “No worries” to “She'll be alright, Mate.” Two more escalation levels remain: “Crikey! I think we'll need to cancel the barbie this weekend!” and “The barbie is cancelled.” So far, no situation has ever warranted use of the final escalation level.

The Russians have said “Its not us”

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

33 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I bet I get that gas emoji from the same poster again, but this is a fact.

This may be true but a lot of people over 80 having potentially fatal illnesses at the same time puts a huge amount of pressure on hospitals and gp surgeries. Even if you take the human emotion out, the fact is that people like you and I - who have underlying medical conditions but are not at the extreme end of the “at risk” groups - may still find are health negatively impacted by an inability to get medical supplies, hospital appointments or GP appointments. There is medical equipment I am screwed without and GP services and hospitals being overwhelmed could create a lot of dangerous problems.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

This may be true but a lot of people over 80 having potentially fatal illnesses at the same time puts a huge amount of pressure on hospitals and gp surgeries. Even if you take the human emotion out, the fact is that people like you and I - who have underlying medical conditions but are not at the extreme end of the “at risk” groups - may still find are health negatively impacted by an inability to get medical supplies, hospital appointments or GP appointments. There is medical equipment I am screwed without and GP services and hospitals being overwhelmed could create a lot of dangerous problems.

Which i am totally in agreement with you on.. What i won't do though, is spend a single second WORRYING about it, which a lot of the media seems to be wanting us to do.

Worrying about ANYTHING is the most useless thing a person can do. Be hygienic YES, take measures YES, bang on about it ALL ******* day long NO.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marlborough Red said:

Some simple Maths lead me to the conclusion that the effect on the health of the UK from Coronavirus will not be anything like as bad as the media suggest.

We can probably all agree that China, where it originated , has been hit the hardest with 80,761 people having contracted the Virus and  3,136 deaths, The virus now seems to be under control in China with only 26 new cases yesterday in a population of 1 billion,400 million people.

• The % of the Chinese population who  tested positive for Coronavirus is only 0.006 %. This in the worst affected country. 
  • Lets assume  worst case , 1 % of UK  testing positive,. Almost 200 times higher infection rate than  China
  • 1% of the UK 67 million population represents 670,000 people who would get the Virus (currently 321)
  • Assuming current death rate in UK of 1.87%  dying from the virus 
  • Therefore expected deaths in UK from the Coronavirus could be around  12,529. (currently 5)
  • Highly unlikely we would get 4 times as many deaths as China in  a UK  population a fraction of the size
  • Using the Chinese Data ,  the number of UK infections drops to 4,020 and deaths drop to less than 100 !
  • Bear in mind that 616,014 people die every year in the UK,
  • 11,848 UK  deaths every week so you can perhaps see why I believe we are significantly  exaggerating the impact of Coronavirus on the UK . 

The economic damage caused by the panic is in my opinion far more dangerous in the long term to our economy and national prosperity 

implying that china aren't fiddling the numbers, germany are already and thats why there are only 2 deaths currently, they're not counting people dying with pre existing conditions.

The economic damage is a mix of China having no one to produce anything at the very beginning, the trade war of sorts between Russia and the Middle East and the correction that was long overdue

2 hours ago, Marlborough Red said:

Some simple Maths lead me to the conclusion that the effect on the health of the UK from Coronavirus will not be anything like as bad as the media suggest.

We can probably all agree that China, where it originated , has been hit the hardest with 80,761 people having contracted the Virus and  3,136 deaths, The virus now seems to be under control in China with only 26 new cases yesterday in a population of 1 billion,400 million people.

• The % of the Chinese population who  tested positive for Coronavirus is only 0.006 %. This in the worst affected country. 
  • Lets assume  worst case , 1 % of UK  testing positive,. Almost 200 times higher infection rate than  China
  • 1% of the UK 67 million population represents 670,000 people who would get the Virus (currently 321)
  • Therefore expected deaths in UK from the Coronavirus could be around  12,529. (currently 5)
  • Highly unlikely we would get 4 times as many deaths as China in  a UK  population a fraction of the size
  • Using the Chinese Data ,  the number of UK infections drops to 4,020 and deaths drop to less than 100 !
  • 11,848 UK  deaths every week so you can perhaps see why I believe we are significantly  exaggerating the impact of Coronavirus on the UK . 

The economic damage caused by the panic is in my opinion far more dangerous in the long term to our economy and national prosperity 

I think the flaw with your figure for number of infections in China is how enormous China is and how comparatively tiny the UK is. I think a fairer comparison would either be the % of cases in China relative to population v the number of cases in Europe relative to population or the number of cases in Hubei v the Uk . Otherwise it just is not a like for like comparison.

Do we have any information as to the people in the U.K. who’ve sadly died. 6 now I understand. 
Information such as, how do we think they contracted it? Had they all been to China or Italy or other infected area recently, or had any of their friends or relatives been in such places. 
It would be beneficial, I believe, for the public to know HOW these people contracted it. 
We seem to be lacking any true, useful information. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I assume that you are not 81 then ?

What’s upset me most about this whole Corona Virus episode  has been the dismissal of older people and those more vulnerable by lots of younger people. Don’t they have older relatives ? Don’t they know anybody who has diabetes, heart disease, etc ? 
For me it’s really confirmed what I had feared about society , that it’s become selfish in a way that it’s never been before. 

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, redapple said:

What’s upset me most about this whole Corona Virus episode  has been the dismissal of older people and those more vulnerable by lots of younger people. Don’t they have older relatives ? Don’t they know anybody who has diabetes, heart disease, etc ? 
For me it’s really confirmed what I had feared about society , that it’s become selfish in a way that it’s never been before. 

It can certainly look that way, but perhaps if there'd been internet when you were a lad (or lass)... people would have said stupid things on online message boards - things they didn't really think about or mean - back then too. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dismissing what you're saying, just offering another explanation.

3 hours ago, Marlborough Red said:

While I share your concern about the economic damage, I can’t get behind your simple maths. The problem is they’re too simple, and don’t account for a huge number of variables, and the broadly unpredictable nature of the spread of the virus itself.

A few things off the top of my head:

- The virus in China was predominantly centred around Wuhan, rather than evenly distributed across the country.

- China is geographically huge, and far less densely populated than the UK (365 people per square mile in China, 671 in the UK).

- China took drastic measures, shutting down an entire city. We’ve responded with a few posters on washing your hands.

- Travel patterns in a country are linked to the culture, demographic and wealth of its people; the way people move around China may not be directly comparable to Western Europe.

- The nature of reporting itself has a large margin of error. It’s possible many more died who weren’t reported or whose deaths weren’t attributed to Coronavirus.

I’m sure there are other variables, but these are just a few examples that spring to mind.

1 minute ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

It can certainly look that way, but perhaps if there'd been internet when you were a lad (or lass)... people would have said stupid things on online message boards - things they didn't really think about or mean - back then too. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dismissing what you're saying, just offering another explanation.

I think that’s a fair comment, and it’s not right to generalise about a generation but comments I’ve seen and heard over the last few weeks come across as seriously “I’m alright Jack”. Personally I’m self-employed and worried about the economic impact but I’m more than a little concerned about my elderly relatives as well as my partner whose due surgery next week. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

May as well have it at the Mem then.

Oddly, that wouldn't work.

The reason the Fewers are on telly so infrequently (especially at home) is apparently due to their floodlights being as shoddy as the rest of the stadium, so that's more income they are missing out on!

@redapple

First I made an assumption about your age which was wrong - sorry for that!

Second, you may be right that young people are more selfish now, but I think that's really hard to know. And these people may just be reacting carelessly - it's the same point I made above and hardly worth re-saying.

Third, good luck with your partner's operation. My wife had an operation a couple of weeks ago (which went well). I think looking at the rate of change in the number of UK cases, it seems unlikely that the situation by next week is going to be so serious as to affect planned operations. But as I say, good luck.

image.thumb.png.42b33e2abc4533089a5577cd25d3c515.png

• Like 2

• Admin

One thing that seems to be confusing people on this thread is that Coronavirus is NOT what is killing these people. 

People ARE getting Coronavirus but it is COVID-19 that is killing people there IS a difference 

Coronavirus has been around for decades with many people being infected like now 

2 hours ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

I agree fully with the last sentence however it is worth noting that Italy has the oldest population in Europe and the second oldest in the world. That mortality rate doesn’t represent the wider number 

As I posted on here yesterday, South Korea have a similar number of cases to Italy, however they’ve tested over 150,000 people (far more than Italy). As a result they’ve found more cases including people who have mild or even no symptoms. This means the case fatality rate in South Korea is far lower (below 0.7%).

Basically, the true number of cases in Italy could well be far higher than what the official figures state, the plus side to this is that the true percentage of deaths due to complications could actually be far lower than the 5% quoted.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, redapple said:

You're a bit late to the party.. this started with Thatcher.

Boris Johnson strolls to victory in the election, and you are surprised that we are living in selfish Britain.  Come on .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

You're a bit late to the party.. this started with Thatcher.

Boris Johnson strolls to victory in the election, and you are surprised that we are living in selfish Britain.  Come on .

Undoubtedly true, but Blair didn’t exactly change society for the better either. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

While I share your concern about the economic damage, I can’t get behind your simple maths. The problem is they’re too simple, and don’t account for a huge number of variables, and the broadly unpredictable nature of the spread of the virus itself.

A few things off the top of my head:

- The virus in China was predominantly centred around Wuhan, rather than evenly distributed across the country.

- China is geographically huge, and far less densely populated than the UK (365 people per square mile in China, 671 in the UK).

- China took drastic measures, shutting down an entire city. We’ve responded with a few posters on washing your hands.

- Travel patterns in a country are linked to the culture, demographic and wealth of its people; the way people move around China may not be directly comparable to Western Europe.

- The nature of reporting itself has a large margin of error. It’s possible many more died who weren’t reported or whose deaths weren’t attributed to Coronavirus.

I’m sure there are other variables, but these are just a few examples that spring to mind.

Appreciate your considered response.

However the comments you make about China are exactly why I suggested an infection rate of 1 % for the UK as opposed to 0.006 % identified in China. Cant 'see how we are going to get 4 times the deaths which have occurred in China which is the predicted number using UK  infection of 1% with  1.87 % dying from the virus.

People forecasting 80 % of the  UK population having the Coronavirus are simply scaremongering and causing unnecessary concern and panic. Italy today has 0.02 % of it's population with the virus for example.