IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

9 minutes ago, Olé said:

Not to make light of what is clearly an escalating situation, but why are football fans always the thing people want to stop first. Icy streets stop football fans. Terrorist threats check football fans jackets. COVID-19 play football behind closed doors.

Meanwhile everyone else do what the **** you like. We were talking about Coronavirus at Leeds away - that's when it was first reported in the UK. A month ago. It had already taken hold in Italy. Did we stop people heading off to ski in Northern Italy?

I haven't left the country for a holiday, I work hard and want to follow my team around England. The last thing I want to do is catch or pass on a virus to the vulnerable, but FFS it's been fine for a different class of people to get their annual ski trip done first.

I get it, big crowds, virus out of control, moving from containment to delay. But there is a sub-text. Football fans are irresponsible, football fans are unhygienic. I could get it on the tube - and more likely too. Why are football fans a different class of big crowd.

Politicians won't bat an eye lid if football fans all end up £100s out of pocket on trains and match tickets let alone season ticket. Meanwhile holidaymakers have a thing called travel insurance and when the government pulls the plug, they get them all home.

Sorry, this is a bit of a misplaced rant, it is a serious situation, I just detest the double standards.

Think it’s a general ban on mass gatherings rather than targeted at football. Shouldn’t affect Rovers, mind

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

Think it’s a general ban on mass gatherings rather than targeted at football. Shouldn’t affect Rovers, mind

BBC suggesting that the ban on large gatherings isn’t likely to be implemented at this stage.

Sky News however, are reporting that they think it will be.

Who knows.......not sure that even Boris does at this stage! ?

32 minutes ago, Olé said:

Not to make light of what is clearly an escalating situation, but why are football fans always the thing people want to stop first. Icy streets stop football fans. Terrorist threats check football fans jackets. COVID-19 play football behind closed doors.

Meanwhile everyone else do what the **** you like. We were talking about Coronavirus at Leeds away - that's when it was first reported in the UK. A month ago. It had already taken hold in Italy. Did we stop people heading off to ski in Northern Italy?

I haven't left the country for a holiday, I work hard and want to follow my team around England. The last thing I want to do is catch or pass on a virus to the vulnerable, but FFS it's been fine for a different class of people to get their annual ski trip done first.

I get it, big crowds, virus out of control, moving from containment to delay. But there is a sub-text. Football fans are irresponsible, football fans are unhygienic. I could get it on the tube - and more likely too. Why are football fans a different class of big crowd.

Politicians won't bat an eye lid if football fans all end up £100s out of pocket on trains and match tickets let alone season ticket. Meanwhile holidaymakers have a thing called travel insurance and when the government pulls the plug, they get them all home.

Sorry, this is a bit of a misplaced rant, it is a serious situation, I just detest the double standards.

I get what you are saying but there have been other events cancelled/postponed. Also, it seems like football is taking these measures rather than being told to do so. Maybe advised but football attracts hundreds of thousands to gather every weekend around the country. Not sure any other events can claim that. 

46 minutes ago, Olé said:

And a different class of people (for the most part) enjoying a jolly at Cheltenham all week. Far, far bigger crowd than any football match

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Olé said:

I’m not convinced it’s double standards in this case. It’s a ban on mass gatherings, and it happens to be that football gatherings are generally the biggest, most frequent and therefore attract the most attention in this scenario.

Of course you could get it on the tube, but it’s about balancing the economic risks v the health risks. If you shut down transport systems, your whole economy suffers and businesses cease to function. Cancelling sports events has a much less widespread economic impact.

Your ski trip comment is also flawed; that’s just one travelling demographic. English football fans were still travelling to away matches in Europe at the same time.

I am sympathetic to the argument that football supporters are treated like second class citizens. But I’m not entirely convinced that’s really what’s going on in this situation.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

And a different class of people (for the most part) enjoying a jolly at Cheltenham all week. Far, far bigger crowd than any football match

Football is still on as of right now. Anfield was full last night. If the mass gathering ban comes in it will apply to racing too. Not really sure what your point is.

Edited by ChippenhamRed

• Every football game in England will reportedly be held behind closed doors
  • No games are to be shown in pubs and will be streamed live to ticket holders 
  • Government plans to combat coronavirus spread could be unveiled on Thursday 
  • A Cobra meeting is expected to move the official response to the 'delay' phase 
  • This will result in a crisis plan being unveiled for football, according to The Times 

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Get over yourself Rob FFS.

33 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Football is still on as of right now. Anfield was full last night. If the mass gathering ban comes in it will apply to racing too. Not really sure what your point is.

2 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Football fans aren't being treated any differently. If Cheltenham had been next week, it would have been cancelled I'm sure - just timings.

maybe so, I'm happy to accept if I'm wrong

41 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

We’ll see how serious they are about this later today if they cancel the last day of Cheltenham. 
If they come out today and say I can’t travel to Blackburn on Saturday then I don’t see how they could let Friday at Cheltenham go ahead. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

I now think we will win the playoffs. 

Getting promoted to the Premier League via a glorious victory at Wembley with NONE OF US there to witness ANY of it, feels like a very ‘Bristol City’ thing to do ?

It'll be even worse, as over the weeks that would follow, the Fewers will decide we took no fans as we have no fans and then claim to be the biggest club in the region.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

I am in a high risk group and had an appointment with my consultant yesterday.  He told me to avoid crowded indoor places rather than outdoor places.

Were you sat in a hospital clinic or GP practice at the time? ?

Seems to be a case of doing something to grab headlines rather than the right thing. The economic argument re public transport is illogical, as you either want to delay it or not, all measures have economic consequences. I would suggest that Elwood Park is much lower risk than packed public transport. Then of course there are the Euros, worst time to hold them across Europe with plenty of travelling.

2 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Seems to be a case of doing something to grab headlines rather than the right thing. The economic argument re public transport is illogical, as you either want to delay it or not, all measures have economic consequences. I would suggest that Elwood Park is much lower risk than packed public transport. Then of course there are the Euros, worst time to hold them across Europe with plenty of travelling.

I guess they are hoping things will be different in 3 months. Not sure the Euro's will happen this year tbh.

8 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

For what it's worth, schools are being told to prepare for the likelihood of being shut for 2 weeks from next week - preparing work for kids to do at home, testing that work can be sent and received remotely etc.

Probably to be looked after by Grandparents who are themselves at higher risk. **** knows how this is going to pan out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Probably to be looked after by Grandparents who are themselves at higher risk. **** knows how this is going to pan out.

Meaning the at risk older generations are likely to die. But @Olé can’t get to the football. Will you please get some perspective on this and think of the real issues at hand. Absolute shambles and people need to get a grip and get Rob to the match. 

• Admin

I'm still working in Manchester today, a number of our staff have been tested positive around our UK offices so gradually closing down.

I've been told to work from home tomorrow, no longer attend a meeting in Birmingham on Monday and be prepared to work from home the rest of the week

We're still awaiting an announcement from ministerial level about how drastic our business goes, but we deal with people with Respiratory diseases and other serious health problems

17 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

For what it's worth, schools are being told to prepare for the likelihood of being shut for 2 weeks from next week - preparing work for kids to do at home, testing that work can be sent and received remotely etc.

Chancellor came out this morning and said this won't be happening.

1 hour ago, Southport Red said:

I now think we will win the playoffs. 

Getting promoted to the Premier League via a glorious victory at Wembley with NONE OF US there to witness ANY of it, feels like a very ‘Bristol City’ thing to do ?

Then we can all wear our 

'Bristol city 2019/20 championship play off winners - I wasn't there'  t-shirts

?

Edited by DolmanDave
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

Meaning the at risk older generations are likely to die. But @Olé can’t get to the football. Will you please get some perspective on this and think of the real issues at hand. Absolute shambles and people need to get a grip and get Rob to the match. 

I realise it's a challenge for you, but any chance you could have a bash at not being an attention seeking ****, just this once?

• Like 2