IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

7 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

That’s what happens when you eat bats and rats. 

Rather than push their agenda of extracting valuable minerals from African countries where they build roads and railways etc as a way to get covert information, they should put the effort in to producing proper food for their overpopulated country. 

Mmmmm

I'm no apologist for China, but

a) what makes bats or rats any worse than pigs or chickens or pheasants, other than culture, and

b) I'm not sure that any British person is in a position to criticise any other country over the exploitation of countries across the African or Indian sub continents.

• Like 13

8 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Very worst case which won’t happen. World wide there’s been 125,000  people diagnosed , as of yesterday . So how we will get 500,000 dead in this country alone is ridiculous. 

That’s because it’s not really got going yet, your appearing naive and ill informed which is a dangerous combo

I have heard the suggestion that matches should be played behind closed doors and televised live on public service TV. But surely, it will be more profitable to state that spectators can only attend matches if they HAVE coronavirus. As they have nothing to lose as they already have it. The matches can then be broadcast live to those who don't have it, then we can all see who has it and stay the F away from them.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I have heard the suggestion that matches should be played behind closed doors and televised live on public service TV. But surely, it will be more profitable to state that spectators can only attend matches if they HAVE coronavirus. As they have nothing to lose as they already have it. The matches can then be broadcast live to those who don't have it, then we can all see who has it and stay the F away from them.

That's cruel. Imagine not only having coronavirus but then also being forced to watch City at home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’m one of the most cynical people on here but  - do you really believe that tripe?  Really? Good grief ...

Maybe not that per se, but who knows....but certainly if we had a better funded nhs, there might be different options available to us.

Interesting that the government seem to be relying a lot on behavioural science as opposed to relying on medical science to plan their strategy.

I feel it is fine to be worried about our government’s strategy, when other countries are taking a very different approach.

Feel free to disagree.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Like when parents hold "Chicken Pox Parties" so all the kids catch it at once.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

Whether cancelled or not I’ve reluctantly decided not to attend another game this season ? I’m in my 50’s with asthma so just can’t take the chance ! 

I'm in my 60's with lifelong asthma & I will be going.

Are you anymore likely to catch it at football rather than at work or at the supermarket?

Carry on as normal until advised otherwise

2 minutes ago, myol'man said:

I'm in my 60's with lifelong asthma & I will be going.

Are you anymore likely to catch it at football rather than at work or at the supermarket?

Carry on as normal until advised otherwise

Not having a go, but we have been advised to do things differently already, e.g. wash hands, self isolate for 7 days if cough or high temp, etc.

The problem arises when you follow that advice (good on you), go to football, and the guy you sit next to, thinks he knows better and has an “I’ll be alright jack” attitude.

• Like 3

In terms of my point yesterday about Force Majeure.

Nothing about specific wording of it that I've found so far but Club Charter states...

RETURNS/REFUNDS

Match tickets are non-refundable apart from in exceptional circumstances, in which case our Supporter Services team will assess each case on its individual merits. In the event of a refund being agreed the club must receive the tickets back prior to the day of the game. NO refunds will be given after the purchase of a season ticket.

No legal obligation as such, I'm sure.

11 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Mmmmm

I'm no apologist for China, but

a) what makes bats or rats any worse than pigs or chickens or pheasants, other than culture, and

b) I'm not sure that any British person is in a position to criticise any other country over the exploitation of countries across the African or Indian sub continents.

11 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Funnily enough the retired army major who gave us the lecture on Chinese espionage yesterday concluded his talk by saying we were probably doing the same thing when we created the empire.....

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In terms of my point yesterday about Force Majeure.

Nothing about specific wording of it that I've found so far but Club Charter states...

No legal obligation as such, I'm sure.

Accrington Stanley owner stated he’ll be offering refunds (I guess pro-rata) to any season ticket holders who don’t feel safe going.  Then again, he is saying he’s putting his players and staff’s safety at heart first over any EFL decision.

Their scenario is made more complicated by them playing Portsmouth today, who of course played Arsenal in FAC last week (Arteta).

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Yes I get all that . There are reports that China has peaked and are over the worst of it and let’s hope that’s the case

Not sure I’d trust any data coming out of China on this, they don’t really like to be honest in any info that comes out of the country in anything, and I wouldn’t trust that their numbers of CVD have started to drop

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Accrington Stanley owner stated he’ll be offering refunds (I guess pro-rata) to any season ticket holders who don’t feel safe going.  Then again, he is saying he’s putting his players and staff’s safety at heart first over any EFL decision.

Their scenario is made more complicated by them playing Portsmouth today, who of course played Arsenal in FAC last week (Arteta).

Oh yeah, clubs may well do it- not discounted that possibility, or offer partial refunds/deferred discounts whatever- just don't think there's anything in law that states it's obligatory that I can see. Feels like Holt is taking the right approach though, as he so often does.

Surely that one should be off given it's a game so close to the Arteta case- he was at Fratton Park, he was with the Arsenal players there- hope they've given as much of Fratton Park a deep clean as possible!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Oh yeah, clubs may well do it- not discounted that possibility, or offer partial refunds/deferred discounts whatever- just don't think there's anything in law that states it's obligatory that I can see. Feels like Holt is taking the right approach though, as he so often does.

Surely that one should be off given it's a game so close to the Arteta case- he was at Fratton Park, he was with the Arsenal players there- hope they've given as much of Fratton Park a deep clean as possible!

Makes you wonder if the EFL should allow owners to increase their investment in clubs, if the league gets suspended or games get cancelled.

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Maybe not that per se, but who knows....but certainly if we had a better funded nhs, there might be different options available to us.

Interesting that the government seem to be relying a lot on behavioural science as opposed to relying on medical science to plan their strategy.

I feel it is fine to be worried about our government’s strategy, when other countries are taking a very different approach.

Feel free to disagree.

Absolutely. 

It's a very risky strategy, to put it mildly. Could be a masterstroke of course, and we need to hope it is for all our sakes.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

It is what it is. I’m following the government guidelines as we all should but still going about my day to day life. The only thing that’s changed is that we now touch elbows at bowls rather than shake hands.

One thing that Im not sure about is that coughs and colds are fairly common during the colder months and most of us get them at some stage. I have recently had cold like symptoms  but just normalised them and carried on as normal. 

I guess it could have been the virus..................:dunno:

Firstly Robbored, this is not aimed at you personally.

If your age is what I think it is, over 70?, you should already be considering what you do now. And for those under 60,, please consider all like me because, while you may have a few days off work and make a full recovery, in the early stages of your illness, you will be lethal to the elderly.

You may be in good health for your age as I am. No respiratory problems like asthma, blood pressure normal, not diabetic and so on. Able to walk three or four miles without feeling any discomfort at all. I can you run up the stairs to my seat in Ashton Gate in row 25 without collapsing in a heap.

In July I will have completed 77 years, which means that I am going to suffer this virus much more than if I was 40 or 50. My wife, 69 years, is asthmatic, and she was told this week that this is not considered as "underlying health problems". But I've seen her suffering badly with only a heavy cold.

So if I catch it, I am almost certain to pass it on to her. Without being morbid, we could both be dead in next six to eight weeks.

We are not in total isolation but are not taking part in our normal things like table tennis, line dancing, swimming, craft classes, football and rugby. We are now shopping early am and late pm in supermarkets when the place is not jammed with people. Using small local shops instead. and even not stopping for a friendly conversation with everyone we meet while dog walking.

We may be over-reacting. But a more cautious approach to our live style for the next few months is a small price to pay to extend our stay on this planet for a while longer. 

I have just renewed my ST. Can my descendants get a refund if I pop my clogs?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Not sure I’d trust any data coming out of China on this, they don’t really like to be honest in any info that comes out of the country in anything, and I wouldn’t trust that their numbers of CVD have started to drop

I thought the data was coming from the World Health Organisation ?

I would hope so as the rest of the world will be taking note.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We shouldn’t be relying on hope.

IMO we also can’t panic and shut everything down as the long term impacts to the economy will impact many more of the population for years to come, Italy could be screwed financially by shutting down to soon, then realising they have to keep shut for even longer, which could then result in even more deaths.  

I thought the approach we are taking seemed sensible and measured and based on actual statistics and studies, and it was good to see this kind of response which, even if you don’t agree with it, no one can deny it’s not based on information

• Like 1