IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Pretty much how I see it. As you say, it could backfire massively but I do understand the logic.

One other aspect I wonder about - given how much the approach is tied to behavioural economics - is whether sports events closing on their own accord and people starting to avoid social events voluntarily is actually in keeping with the plan. It wouldn't shock me all that much if some of the slowness to act is based on a belief that the public (and large organisations such as the Premier League and the EFL) will accept and process these measures better if they decide on a need for them themselves rather than having to do it because the government told them to. 

And given the limited number of games left this season, if the PL and/or the EFL make the decision to cancel/postpone games, it's then a problem they 'own' - they can't say, 'our hand was forced', and as we know, the pandemic is expected to get worse towards the summer, so maybe it isn't the right thing to do?

Who knows. 

Interesting idea presented by someone on Sky Sports News, football delayed until mid summer here, season resumed and concluded then off season and next season starts in November. This would mean when it comes around to the Qatar world cup our season would actually align with the World cup schedule.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, !james said:

The thing is the virus will still be around at the start of April, so if/when players/staff start getting it again from April 4th does the season just get pushed back again? Right decision to suspend, but a restart date announced now seems iffy.

1 minute ago, hodge said:

The thing is the virus will still be around at the start of April, so if/when players/staff start getting it again from April 4th does the season just get pushed back again? Right decision to suspend, but a restart date announced now seems iffy.

Might just be a review date.

• The topic was locked
19 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

The virus issue will get worse before getting better, I can't see the season being extended.

If the season was stopped indefinitely, what would happen with the promotion/relegation/title issues? They could declare the whole season null and void like 1939 but I really can't see them doing that, especially with the season nearly ended. However. they couldn't promote or relegate as things stand either as not everybody has played everybody.

Edited by Wanderingred

3 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

If the season was stopped indefinitely, what would happen with the promotion/relegation/title issues? They could declare the whole season null and void like 1939 but I really can't see them doing that, especially with the season nearly ended. However. they couldn't promote or relegate as things stand either as not everybody has played everybody.

FA spokesman suggested a football manager simulator for the final games and then play offs behind closed doors 

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

The year that Liverpool didn’t properly win the league!

I posted in the first couple of pages how I'm managed to annoy some local Liverpool fans by telling them that if the league gets cancelled, Man City get the title as current champions.

Might have to remind them of the 'rule' (that I made up) if I see them over the weekend.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hodge said:

Interesting idea presented by someone on Sky Sports News, football delayed until mid summer here, season resumed and concluded then off season and next season starts in November. This would mean when it comes around to the Qatar world cup our season would actually align with the World cup schedule.

It is an interesting idea but presumably it would need to then be set back on track at some point? Would we need the 2022/2023 season to run half a season and everyone play each other once in a randomly allocated manner in order to get back on track?

8 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Well, I can't see that extending the season is a choice really.

I think if the Euros are cancelled it at least gives the extra time in June to finish the season. If teams have to play 3/4 times a week then so be it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Firstly Robbored, this is not aimed at you personally.

If your age is what I think it is, over 70?, you should already be considering what you do now. And for those under 60,, please consider all like me because, while you may have a few days off work and make a full recovery, in the early stages of your illness, you will be lethal to the elderly.

In July I will have completed 77 years,

Firstly I’m 65 and like you I’m in pretty good shape for my age and my view on the virus is very much to adopt the medical guidelines, regular hand washing etc etc in the hope of avoiding it.

I tried every pharmacy and supermarket in Nailsea to buy some hand  gel - all sold out as are thermometers so there’s not much else I can do.

So far there is one confirmed case in N Somerset which will certainly increase but I’m resigned to the fact that  I might become infected in which case I’ll self isolate particularly as several  of my neighbours are 75+.

I have another bowls match this afternoon so we’ll just elbow tap rather than a handshake.

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

It is an interesting idea but presumably it would need to then be set back on track at some point? Would we need the 2022/2023 season to run half a season and everyone play each other once in a randomly allocated manner in order to get back on track?

It may take another season or two but you could slowly shift the season back, a few more midweek games each season and just shorten the season a bit each year

I was working in central London yesterday and couldn't get over just how quiet it was. Nowhere near as many people about and quite a few wearing masks plus lots of elbow tapping going on. People seem to be taking their own measures but even the tube (Metropolitan line) was pretty empty.

As I had sepsis and pneumonia a couple of years ago, I'm classed as 'at higher risk' and at just 52, I'm terrified of this but have no choice but to carry on. As people say, we're probably all going to get it to varying degrees but i'm genuinely worried. 

Calling matches off and revisiting the issue is surely the right thing to do but the aftermath is going to be chaos, realigning calendars etc etc.

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

The way I'd read it is that if the EFL decide to call off then it will be a decision based on players, not on crowds and large gatherings.

If they come out and say its about large gatherings then they are contradicting the government, the day after the government's announcement. As you say, disputing the government's advice. Politically, not a great thing to do. 

What they're more likely to do is base the cancellation on the risk to players, and the fact that club squads are starting to be affected by the virus. 

Mind you, if they do adopt the latter stance, then they won't be playing games behind closed doors.

Very true.

9 minutes ago, Super said:

I think if the Euros are cancelled it at least gives the extra time in June to finish the season. If teams have to play 3/4 times a week then so be it.

Yep, think contracts running to 30.06 will be the hard-stop.

If season cannot be completed by this point, then whatever rules are in place (or new rules) stand.

If new rules are put in place they need to be agreed now, so everyone knows what they’re in for.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Ok, so Government approach is to allow spirts to continue.

Very likely that EFL / PL going to defy government by taking their own stance.

What does this tell the government? Their behavioural science is mis-guided?  

Not necessarily. Players and management have tested positive, therefore teams are in isolation so obviously those games would be postponed. I don't think it's defying government policy unless they say they will postpone / cancel games because of the crowds/fans gathering

• Like 1