IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

30 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

It is an interesting idea but presumably it would need to then be set back on track at some point? Would we need the 2022/2023 season to run half a season and everyone play each other once in a randomly allocated manner in order to get back on track?

I fear that this crisis may run a long course yet and we’ve only seen the start of the disruption

(Some posts early in this thread are priceless)

As it stands, 

Start planning to aim to finish this season by The end of the year, or end of Dec - Breathing room , hopefully , maybe

if season finished before Dec - Fill with compact FA Cup

Jan - May 21

Each Division split into two halves , North & South (Game wise home & away = a half season )

Top two in each Premier League Group qualify for Champions League, and a Mega Play Off for the title

Bottom two Clubs in each Premier League Group relegated 

Top Two in each Championship , and Divisional groups are promoted , Bottom two teams  in each group relegated 

Sorted

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 2

• The title was changed to The Coronavirus and its effects on football (EFL & PL suspended until April)

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/remaining-march-fixtures-postponed/

City's remaining fixtures in March have been postponed, the EFL has confirmed.

It means City will no longer travel to face Blackburn Rovers this weekend, with fixtures against Sheffield Wednesday and Nottingham Forest suspended until further notice.

On Friday morning, the FA, Premier League, EFL and Barclays FA Women’s Super League and FA Women’s Championship collectively agreed to postpone the professional game in England until 3 April at the earliest.

This action, which will be kept under constant review, has been taken due to the increasing numbers of Clubs taking steps to isolate their players and staff because of the COVID-19 virus.

The postponements include all matches in the Championship, League One and League Two, as well as all Academy and youth team fixtures. 

In addition, Clubs are being advised to suspend indefinitely all non-essential activities which include, but are not limited to, player appearances, training ground visits and fan meetings.

Whilst the EFL Board has continued to take the advice and guidance offered by the Government and its health advisors, emerging developments mean now is the time to implement football’s contingency plans in response to the crisis.

A further update on these plans will be given post an EFL Board Meeting next week. 

This decision has not been taken lightly, but the EFL must prioritise the health and well-being of players, staff and supporters while also acknowledging the Government’s national efforts in tackling this outbreak.

And one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, is....

If the season IS extended, what happens to out of contract players?

I assume clubs have contracts with players that have cessation points that mean the contract ends on a fixed date - say, after the date of the bank holiday weekend when they play offs are.

So technically, they wouldn't be eligible to play.

Now clubs might be happy to see some players leave, but once the summer transfer window opens (which is another fixed date), you could find a player playing against you in the play off final that scored the goal that got you to the play off final!

Answers on a postcard to the usual address.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

8 minutes ago, eardun said:

I can’t see the season restarting at all given we’re still 10-14 weeks from the peak. I reckon it will be ‘season abandoned’ as if it never happened. In that scenario, glad we’re not in the top 6! And glad we’re not Liverpool! 

Hope not as we have a great chance of making playoffs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

And one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, is....

If the season IS extended, what happens to out of contract players?

I assume clubs have contracts with players that have cessation points that mean the contract ends on a fixed date - say, after the date of the bank holiday weekend when they play offs are.

So technically, they wouldn't be eligible to play.

Now clubs might be happy to see some players leave, but once the summer transfer window opens (which is another fixed date), you could find a player playing against you in the play off final that scored the goal that got you to the play off final!

Answers on a postcard to the usual address.

That is why earlier I posted that I think season will have a hard stop at 30.06.

This is the date all pro contracts of 1 year + run to.

There will be anomalies like Ighalo’s that was short term and ends in May.

Can you imagine running into a July and Stoke saying “we’ll have Benik back now he’s fit to boost our relegation battle”

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, eardun said:

I can’t see the season restarting at all given we’re still 10-14 weeks from the peak. I reckon it will be ‘season abandoned’ as if it never happened. In that scenario, glad we’re not in the top 6! And glad we’re not Liverpool! 

This is one of the issues with doing it now, come 3rd April (according to government) we wont have reached our peak so if they start playing again there will still presumably be a substantial risk if not more so if more people are infected.

Personally I think they should have took steps to isolate players with potential symptoms and confirmed contacts, then postpone individual games but allow others with no known complications to continue for now.

22 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I fear that this crisis may run a long course yet and we’ve only seen the start of the disruption

(Some posts early in this thread are priceless)

As it stands, 

Start planning to aim to finish this season by The end of the year, or end of Dec - Breathing room , hopefully , maybe

if season finished before Dec - Fill with compact FA Cup

Jan - May 21

Each Division split into two halves , North & South (Game wise home & away = a half season )

Top two in each Premier League Group qualify for Champions League, and a Mega Play Off for the title

Bottom two Clubs in each Premier League Group relegated 

Top Two in each Championship , and Divisional groups are promoted , Bottom two teams  in each group relegated 

Sorted

I like this idea. 

• Robin 1

Blimey. Something new to all of us.  It took the Chinese some 3 months to get a handle on it with now only a handful new infections. December. Started for real. Then Jan, Feb and March.  So can we expect similar time frames.  I think so. But.....  some clubs lower leagues might vanish for ever with this 

4 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Blimey. Something new to all of us.  It took the Chinese some 3 months to get a handle on it with now only a handful new infections. December. Started for real. Then Jan, Feb and March.  So can we expect similar time frames.  I think so. But.....  some clubs lower leagues might vanish for ever with this 

This is where football needs to come together.  Not just clubs, but players too.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

The year that Liverpool didn’t properly win the league!

How does the song go..?  'ave you ever seen Liverpool win the league. 'ave you ever seen Liperpool win the league?

'ave you ever seen Liverpool, ever seen Liverpool, ever seen Liverpool win the league?

'ave you ****!

Edited by AppyDAZE

35 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

The real issue here is what am I going to do without OSIB?

@Shtanley I hope you’ve got contingency plans?

The next few episodes will have to be recorded behind closed doors. Apologies to those who have made plans to travel. 

We've got a few ideas being discussed. Don't you worry.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, HomerRed said:

Football authorities more decisive than the government - who knew? 

It's going to be very boring though after the initial shock. 

The cynic that I am suspects that once the valuable assets (players and Managers) start reporting they have the virus, they panic more than if it's just us fans who are expendable.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not yet

I know you like a bit of stats, and were discussing our approach...

Boris said yesterday we are 4 weeks behind Italy and he hopes 13 weeks from the peak. On current trends we are only 2 weeks behind Italy but putting that to one side, I think the Government is judging that other countries have gone 'too early' and still have much much further to go. If Italy carry on their current growth trends for a further 9 weeks...well, its a scary thought. The aim seems to be that however much we try, we are all likely to end up getting it sooner rather than later, so best we try and 'flatten the curve'.

Equally, there seems to a view that whilst shutting everything down will slow the thing, sooner or later the moment you relax, bam, it will be off and running again until we have built up some herd immunity (by basically enough of us having caught it). We clearly cannot shut down everything for ever.

I am not sure we have it right...buying time is really precious right now. It might be Italy slow it right down and it explodes there again next winter and by then we are much better positioned. Equally, if a vaccine has been developed we will look a bit careless, to put it mildly.

I think that is football done for this season either way. If the peak is 13 weeks away, and we are therefore curve wise back to where we are now in 26 weeks, no way are we in a better position three weeks away than we are now.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Ok, so Government approach is to allow spirts to continue.

Very likely that EFL / PL going to defy government by taking their own stance.

What does this tell the government? Their behavioural science is mis-guided?  

Really hope so I'm partial to the odd Rum and Coke.