IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

37 minutes ago, pillred said:

If pubs were not feeling the pinch already this will surely tip some over the edge, personally I mostly visit my local to watch the sport as I don't have Sky or BT, can see a lot of bars being pretty empty on a wet Tuesday night with no footy or other sports on.

I think there are probably going to be countless knock-on effects like this that we haven't even begun to consider yet.

• Like 2

With the training ground likely being avoided, will players come back less fit for when the season resumes and what measures will the club put in place with players for maintaining fitness away from the ground?

I reckon they'll be having a lot of Zoom/Skype meetings, don't you!

35 minutes ago, Super said:

So are we saying this could be a masterstroke by Boris?!

Haven't heard much about Rugby? They still being played?

Is the racing at Cheltenham still going ahead?

I appreciate they’ve already had a few days of tens of thousands rolling around having a great time but it’s a bit odd that the ‘Sport of Kings’ gets the go ahead yet football in the same town gets cancelled. 

Edited by Red DNA
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

Is the racing at Cheltenham still going ahead?

I appreciate they’ve already had a few days of tens of thousands rolling around having s great time but it’s a bit odd that the ‘Sport of Kings’ gets the go ahead yet football in the same town gets cancelled. 

Football's been suspended for the player's / staff though, not specifically the crowds.

I agree though and I've said this all along that it seems insane we can see football matches postponed while that huge gathering is going on in Cheltenham

28 minutes ago, Super said:

So are we saying this could be a masterstroke by Boris?!

Haven't heard much about Rugby? They still being played?

This strategy has Cummings' fingerprints all over it, it's exactly his sort of thinking.

If it works it'll be a masterstroke, if it doesn't who knows how many additional people will die. The decision will make or break Johnson's administration in its first year.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Football's been suspended for the player's / staff though, not specifically the crowds.

I agree though and I've said this all along that it seems insane we can see football matches postponed while that huge gathering is going on in Cheltenham

At temple meads this morning, there was a group of lads heading to Cheltenham.  They were passing round the hand sanitiser and cleaning their hands.....and then passing round a bottle of lager (Corona, no less!) and sharing it! ?‍♂️

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, pl00peh91 said:

Is it bad that my first reaction was “maybe we can get Afobe back with more games to play”?

Unfortunately his loan will expire at some point (June 1st at latest) 

At least we have an option to buy , but if this continues would have to do so without seeing him play another game

Sorry if anything similar has been posted already, but started writing this on another thread and thought it would be better on here.

If this goes on for as long as some predict (minimum 14 weeks or so), they may just cancel it as things stand (or null and void it?)

When you look at Liverpools lead, it does seem crazy that it can end and they win nothing, but on the other hand if it's cancelled as things stand, how can you award Liverpool (and all other league leaders) the title(s) and then relegate all teams currently in the relegation zone(s), when they can realistically still get out, or get pulled in?

There is no fair, or easy decision. I think the only way to please everyone, is that the season carries on when possible, and the next season(s), start a bit later. Then I guess you get into contract/sponsorship contracts though. 

Let's be fair though, in the grand scheme of things, it's not the most important issue in the world is it!?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Taz said:

Sorry if anything similar has been posted already, but started writing this on another thread and thought it would be better on here.

If this goes on for as long as some predict (minimum 14 weeks or so), they may just cancel it as things stand (or null and void it?)

When you look at Liverpools lead, it does seem crazy that it can end and they win nothing, but on the other hand if it's cancelled as things stand, how can you award Liverpool (and all other league leaders) the title(s) and then relegate all teams currently in the relegation zone(s), when they can realistically still get out, or get pulled in?

There is no fair, or easy decision. I think the only way to please everyone, is that the season carries on when possible, and the next season(s), start a bit later. Then I guess you get into contract/sponsorship contracts though. 

Let's be fair though, in the grand scheme of things, it's not the most important issue in the world is it!?

Implications of almost every scenario are massive, gonna take some sorting out - reckon a 5 aside competition is the best approach 10min's each half, done and dusted over a bank holiday weekend.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

There's no way the season will be cancelled or abandoned imo. It has to be completed even if it's not until the autumn. 

Why? Surely a lot easier to treat it as null and void, rather than try to finish it in the autumn and start again immediately?

2 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Why? Surely a lot easier to treat it as null and void, rather than try to finish it in the autumn and start again immediately?

Depends if there is a procedure in the rules, if theres not and they went that route they'd have 30 odd law suits from league clubs at least

6 minutes ago, Leveller said:

There is an EFL board meeting next week.

Wouldn't be surprised if they dip their toe in the water and say all options including scrapping the season are being considered - and see what comes back.

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

The shitstorm from Leeds fans if it was just abandonment would be terrific 

I mentioned this scenario to a Leeds fan last  night. His reaction was typical  "But they can't do that to us"!

If the season is abandoned, do all yellow & red cards get recinded?

2 minutes ago, 22A said:

I mentioned this scenario to a Leeds fan last  night. His reaction was typical  "But they can't do that to us"!

If the season is abandoned, do all yellow & red cards get recinded?

Interesting point on the cards do 1 game suspensions occurred in last game carry over normally or just red cards? 

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

You do realise football existed in this country before 1992, right.....?

Yes, since I have followed football since I was 7 and I'm   cough cough, a little older (think 50 and upward) now...

It was a silly little joke, I'm not a Man U fan either btw... I only follow BCFC.

You make a good point, and i reckon Liverpool should be given the title anyway.

They won it at a canter. And fair play to them, says I.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

They've also said if we go to soon with school closures it will immediately weaken NHS, care services etc as parents stay home to look after children. OR they go and stay with grandparents who are more at risk?

Also if we lockdown like Italy, people will get "bored" of it and revert back to normal behaviour too soon and right in the peak of the situation

I’ve read that in some countries they apply a simple:

>14 stay at home without parental / grandparent at support

<14 stay home if parents can support, otherwise skeleton schooling continues.

• Like 1