IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

They surely have no choice but to get the remaining games played by hook or by crook? Both cancelling the season outright and deciding promotion/relegation issues as the table stands would cause a huge storm and a potential legal backlash that they would want to avoid at all costs. If they declare the season null and void, you''ve got the likes of Sheff Utd potentially losing out on Europe money,and  WBA and Leeds their Premier League windfall. Then if the season is declared finished with the table as it stands, teams like Tranmere will be relegated having played a game less than the team above them.

My best guess on current evidence (that May will be the worst of it, and things will be looking better in June) is that Euro 2020 gets cancelled and teams play Saturday-Tuesday during that time to get the remaining games played. It's not that many and could be done within 4 weeks. Then the new season will start a few weeks later and there will be a couple more midweek games to catch up. Issues with contracts/transfers will just have to be worked around.

Edited by Wanderingred
  • Like 1

A lot of difficult decisions ahead that whatever the outcome is going to upset somebody. Health must be the overriding factor but economics will clearly play a part. A lot of clubs will have factored in revenues from the remaining games in their season budget, which will only be partly offset by savings on stewarding, police etc. If the league is declared finished I wonder what the position on compensation claims will be. 

1 minute ago, Wanderingred said:

They surely have no choice but to get the remaining games played by hook or by crook? Both cancelling the season outright and deciding promotion/relegation issues as the table stands would cause a huge storm and a potential legal backlash that they would want to avoid at all costs. If they declare the season null and void, you''ve got the likes of Sheff Utd potentially losing out on Europe money,and  WBA and Leeds their Premier League windfall. Then if the season is declared finished with the table as it stands, teams like Tranmere will be relegated having played a game less than the team above them.

My best guess on current evidence (that May will be the worst of it, and things will be looking better in June) is that Euro 2020 gets cancelled and teams play Saturday-Tuesday during that time to get the remaining games played. Then the new season will start a few weeks later and there will be a couple more midweek games to catch up. Issues with contracts/transfers will just have to be worked around.

Each match could be settled by a toss of a coin.

Who’s are biggest best tosser?

• Admin
8 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

A lot of difficult decisions ahead that whatever the outcome is going to upset somebody. Health must be the overriding factor but economics will clearly play a part. A lot of clubs will have factored in revenues from the remaining games in their season budget, which will only be partly offset by savings on stewarding, police etc. If the league is declared finished I wonder what the position on compensation claims will be. 

I suspect there will be no route for compensation claims, there may or may not be some compensation package, but I think the fact that they are following advice and it’s a world wide situation, would mean that there is no route to sue.  But then, I’m not a lawyer, so that might be bollocks..... ?

2 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I suspect there will be no route for compensation claims, there may or may not be some compensation package, but I think the fact that they are following advice and it’s a world wide situation, would mean that there is no route to sue.  But then, I’m not a lawyer, so that might be bollocks..... ?

A small technicality - they are going against advice not following it.

13 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

My best guess on current evidence (that May will be the worst of it, and things will be looking better in June) is that Euro 2020 gets cancelled and teams play Saturday-Tuesday during that time to get the remaining games played. It's not that many and could be done within 4 weeks. Then the new season will start a few weeks later and there will be a couple more midweek games to catch up. Issues with contracts/transfers will just have to be worked around.

Trouble you have is clubs are still in Europe so have those games to play as well as FA Cup. PL Man City have 10 games to play as well as potentially 6 CL and 3 FA cup ties. That is 10 weeks to finish the season. 
EFL with play offs could be done in 7 weeks.

2 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Trouble you have is clubs are still in Europe so have those games to play as well as FA Cup. PL Man City have 10 games to play as well as potentially 6 CL and 3 FA cup ties. That is 10 weeks to finish the season. 
EFL with play offs could be done in 7 weeks.

I think they might be able to get away with cancelling the cup competitions. Would cause far less disruption that stopping a league campaign.

2 minutes ago, Jack on off ski said:

I think Scott Murray is still on 2009 version haha

Jet and Baldock, I miss that partnership in real life!

Blimey that is an old one. I had to ditch Fontaine as he wasn't up to Premier League level!

3 hours ago, eardun said:

I can’t see the season restarting at all given we’re still 10-14 weeks from the peak. I reckon it will be ‘season abandoned’ as if it never happened. In that scenario, glad we’re not in the top 6! And glad we’re not Liverpool! 

On the down side, it means Villa stay up!

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Blimey that is an old one. I had to ditch Fontaine as he wasn't up to Premier League level!

To be honest, I usually like to manage from the bottom in Conference North/South, like Bath or Weston and then buy fringe city players like Marc Goodfellow, Joe Anyinsah, Elliot Benyon...Aden Flint is about Conference level on that game too

35 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Yes, since I have followed football since I was 7 and I'm   cough cough, a little older (think 50 and upward) now...

It was a silly little joke, I'm not a Man U fan either btw... I only follow BCFC.

You make a good point, and i reckon Liverpool should be given the title anyway.

They won it at a canter. And fair play to them, says I.

You need to get that cough seen to .

:ill:

• Haha 2

On 10/03/2020 at 22:30, ZiderEyed said:

I'm currently self isolating on the advice of my GP. Despite the fact im quite young and pretty fit I do feel like death, and I'd rather not give anything to someone who would seriously suffer with it.

I was told I'm not going to be screened because (despite showing all symptoms) I haven't been abroad at all, which puts paid to any idea I had of remaining NHS sensibility. There's 2 other people in buildings within 200yds of me also under isolation so I'm shit scared.

Similar situation here. I have been abroad, to Malta where a lot of Italians travel to but I was told that because I haven't been in contact with anyone who is known to be positive, and I hadn't been to Italy, I was not going to be tested. Day 5 of self isolation here. Still feel bolloxed 

• Like 1