IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

1 hour ago, RaspberryRed said:

Hull City are the latest club to donate food ordered for matchday following the suspension of games, with Aston Villa confirming 850 staff packed lunches are being donated to support homeless charities. “With food having already been delivered to the Kcom Stadium for tomorrow’s game, the club was keen to ensure it didn’t go to waste,” read a club statement. “Fresh fruit, vegetables and sandwiches have now been passed over to FareShare Hull & Humber, a charity that redistributes surplus food to over 120 organisations throughout the region. The club are pleased that this surplus food will go to people who really need it.

???

Well done to both!

I don't like Aston Villa's antics accounting wise but fair play to both for this!!

Mentions Fulham and Tranmere too in another article.

• Thanks 1

The postponements will go on much longer than April 3rd I suspect, leading to a situation where sadly, the entire season will probably have to be written off.

On a more positive note, we are about to enter an international break, which will result in less postponements, so if the season can be restarted at some point, there will be a bit less catchup.

As I understand it, if a flight is cancelled, the airline has to refund your money, but if the football season is cancelled, the clubs get to keep your season ticket money 

A few clubs are teetering close to extinction and I think a number could go under as a result of this.  Whatever the financial outcomes though, the most important thing is keeping people safe.

On the virus itself, an Iranian scientist claims that there is evidence that it has been created in a laboratory and could not have been created naturally.  He seems to think that in time and with further analysis. this is going to be proven.

12 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

The postponements will go on much longer than April 3rd I suspect, leading to a situation where sadly, the entire season will probably have to be written off.

On a more positive note, we are about to enter an international break, which will result in less postponements, so if the season can be restarted at some point, there will be a bit less catchup.

As I understand it, if a flight is cancelled, the airline has to refund your money, but if the football season is cancelled, the clubs get to keep your season ticket money 

A few clubs are teetering close to extinction and I think a number could go under as a result of this.  Whatever the financial outcomes though, the most important thing is keeping people safe.

On the virus itself, an Iranian scientist claims that there is evidence that it has been created in a laboratory and could not have been created naturally.  He seems to think that in time and with further analysis. this is going to be proven.

There's probably a few on here blaming the Russians,they blame them for everything else.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

In France the government have banned visits  to old people’s homes to avoid contagion.

They are advising not to visit elderly relatives or friends and people over seventy have been asked to stay at home going out only when there is no other choice.

Am I the only one who is bewildered by all this ? 

I have never experienced anything like this in my entire life. 

To top it all, whilst I realise that the weaker members of our community are at risk of losing their lives , thousands die off each year with the flu . Why is this virus so much more important ? 

1 hour ago, Bob Turnip said:

I assume because we have no imunity. Therefore it will spread to more people, meaning more vunerable people will get it, meaning a lot more of them will die.

Also, I hear a lot of people saying 'flu kills people all the time, what's the fuss?' 

But surely they should be thinking, 'flu kills people all the time, let's prevent 2 or 3 times that amount losing their lives'. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

An actual suggestion...

Re start next season with the current points and goal difference etc. Not ideal but given the circumstances at least it's fair and doesn't write off the good work done so far.

There will be winners and losers but if the projected numbers are even remotely accurate, football is not the priority. 

Actually not that bad a suggestion tbh.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Leak from a Chinese laboratory is something that has been doing the rounds for a few weeks now.

3 hours ago, redsince1994 said:

Football on a nice summer evening followed by a few on north street sounds like perfection to me!

Does sound nice.

However, if the peak is expected in 10-14 weeks and will possibly stretch over 3 months then I think we’re going to be dealing with this for a long time to come.

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think they should cancel the season. It's only going to get worse. Start the  new season again in August.

I hope it can finish we are in a great position be a shame to have that go to waste.

33 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It's only going to get worse so I can't see how they can finish it. 

I think most fans would not fancy us to go up anyway.

You maybe right but could be a while before we are in such a good position again.

Another angle to the potential rescheduling of games is teams, like us, with multi-use stadiums.

Its reasonable to suggest that we cancel the euros, and possibly restart in May with the season ending in June.

However, many teams, including ourselves, will have concerts at their grounds during the summer - with all the preparation/takedown time and pitch damage that causes.

Its not unreasonable to suggest that the loss of commercial streams from those events may drive clubs, if the season is extended, to not play at their normal ground on occasions rather than lose the concert income 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

In France the government have banned visits  to old people’s homes to avoid contagion.

They are advising not to visit elderly relatives or friends and people over seventy have been asked to stay at home going out only when there is no other choice.

Am I the only one who is bewildered by all this ? 

I have never experienced anything like this in my entire life. 

To top it all, whilst I realise that the weaker members of our community are at risk of losing their lives , thousands die off each year with the flu . Why is this virus so much more important ? 

That's worrying as I have my dad, living on his own at 83. He's fiercely independent and I try and pop round a couple of times a week and speak to him most days. Yes, he's a fit 83 but I still don't know whether to keep going round. I'm in and out of hospitals all day at work so am possibly more likely than most to pick this bloody thing up. The last thing I want to do is expose the old fella to more risk!

What to do for the best? 

32 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I doubt it. We have a young squad that will only get better. We keep improving our league position. I can't see why we wouldn't be in a similar position to now next season.

Cant presume anything. 

8 hours ago, pillred said:

I think he meant their general hygiene  standards regarding the slaughter storage and selling of meat in open areas, well I'm assuming he did.

And this happens all around the world, particularly in areas which suffer from extreme poverty.

Calling a race of people “scabby” because of living in these conditions is ignorance.

The virus could have emerged from anywhere.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

And this happens all around the world, particularly in areas which suffer from extreme poverty.

Calling a race of people “scabby” because of living in these conditions is ignorance.

The virus could have emerged from anywhere.  

Calling it scabby was being kind.

On 12/03/2020 at 18:46, Lanterne Rouge said:

Anyone else thinks Trump`s massively overreacting? Apparently he has put these measures in place to protect the American people - he won`t do anything to protect those same people from nutjobs with assault rifles though.

I`ll wager more Americans will be shot dead this year than die in the whole of Europe from Coronavirus.

it`s almost as if he`s more concerned about getting re-elected than protecting his citizens - perish the thought.

What a moron you are. 

42 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Nah, this far into the season you have to have an outcome. 

Not to mention the fact you'd have clubs like Luton, Altrincham, Dundee United, Cove Rangers, maybe Coventry, and others for whom winning their league is a near formality losing huge amounts of income. It's completely unfair and would probably lead to legal action if it was voided. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Not to mention the fact you'd have clubs like Luton, Altrincham, Dundee United, Cove Rangers, maybe Coventry, and others for whom winning their league is a near formality losing huge amounts of income. It's completely unfair and would probably lead to legal action if it was voided. 

Luton?!