IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

10 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Can someone explain why the season can’t just be completed behind closed doors? Inconvenience to fans but surely it’s the answer 

Because whilst players likes Hudson-Odoi and coaches like Arteta test positive, and the aim is to slow the spread, just stoping spectators is of little use in itself.

2 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Because whilst players likes Hudson-Odoi and coaches like Arteta test positive, and the aim is to slow the spread, just stoping spectators is of little use in itself.

Why is getting 30 players in a stadium to play football higher risk than 300 kids going to school? Maybe I’m being dumb but I don’t get it. Stoping spectators is of use as it severely reduces the chances of spread. 

11 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Can someone explain why the season can’t just be completed behind closed doors? Inconvenience to fans but surely it’s the answer 

Is this what you want because you told us all that the season would never be suspended or finished, when this thread started? 

Players themselves are not immune to this virus and nor to are their families.
As much as I would be behind playing behind closed doors, I doubt it will happen and that was tried in Italy. We are predicted to be 13 days behind Italy and they can’t cope with the dead now. So I doubt football is top of the agenda in most authorities eyes at the moment. 

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Is this what you want because you told us all that the season would never be suspended or finished, when this thread started? 

Players themselves are not immune to this virus and nor to are their families.
As much as I would be behind playing behind closed doors, I doubt it will happen and that was tried in Italy. We are predicted to be 13 days behind Italy and they can’t cope with the dead now. So I doubt football is top of the agenda in most authorities eyes at the moment. 

I am not interested in arguing or mud throwing especially on a subject where none of us really know what we are talking about. No need to lie though. I said the season would never be cancelled. I didn’t say it wouldn’t be suspended. 

Back to the grown up conversation:

Footballers aren’t immune I agree. But nor are any other workers who have to go to work so what is the difference? 

• Hmmm 1

On 13/03/2020 at 11:34, ChippenhamRed said:

These really are extraordinary times. Sounds silly to say it but the suspension of football is weirdly unsettling. Nothing feels normal at the moment. Football is such a part of the fabric of our society, what on Earth are we going to talk about?!

I feel for the cricket  teams most of their fan base could be considered higher risk due to age and season due to start soon

25 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Footballers aren’t immune I agree. But nor are any other workers who have to go to work so what is the difference? 

Probably because other workers carry on because that’s essential.
Football to you, me and everyone on here football is essential but not as essential as eating, paying bills and general day to day life. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Why is getting 30 players in a stadium to play football higher risk than 300 kids going to school? Maybe I’m being dumb but I don’t get it. Stoping spectators is of use as it severely reduces the chances of spread. 

Getting up close and personal in sport is more likely to spread the virus than sitting near someone as long as they take the appropriate precautions.

Closing schools is an interesting one. Children get infected with Coronavirus but all the evidence so far suggests that they aren’t as affected by symptoms, which is almost unlike every other virus that the medical profession has to deal with it. It’s frankly bizarre and unlike my own experience as a paediatrician. Children spreading it amongst themselves therefore seems less of a risk. The issue is keeping them away from their grandparents and other older people who appear to be very susceptible to the worst symptoms.

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Football is essential to football clubs though and huge business.  

And at the moment still being paid. I know I’ve paid for my season tickets so has 15k other so this season is technically paid for. Going forward if this carries on will become an issue. 
Businesses like bars around football clubs will suffer, but they may will do if games are played behind doors. So knock on affects will come into play soon. 

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

The worst decision would be for the leagues to finish as they are. That surely can't happen. 

If it's top 3 going up from football leagues then there is one point separating 3rd and 7th in league one. 

For going down Tranmere are 3 points behind Wimbledon with a game in hand.

However the leagues are looking, it would look different at the end of the season.

It's either behind closed doors or cancel the whole thing. I can't see how they can put it on hold for long.

Behind closed doors isn’t a option because you get the melons like in Paris congregating outside just passing it on to all and sundry,the only option is to call it quits now and wipe the season off

53 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

It's more complicated that just 30 players though isn't it. They train together daily along with many coaches, medical staff, dietitians and so on. They travel and stay in hotels, use different clubs training facilities etc. and the clubs and facilities themselves take a lot of people to run and manage.

I'd guess that for one football match there would actually be a few hundred people involved in close contact each week to make it happen - It's not like they could just meet once a week for 90 mins then self isolate the rest of the time. Other workplaces are open yes but people are being encouraged to work from home or isolate if they have symptoms - if you have players training together and half the one squad gets infected over the course of a few weeks you'd end up with every other game cancelled, or the rest of the season being a joke with half the squad off ill every game.

Edited by IAmNick

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

The worst decision would be for the leagues to finish as they are. That surely can't happen. 

If it's top 3 going up from football leagues then there is one point separating 3rd and 7th in league one. 

For going down Tranmere are 3 points behind Wimbledon with a game in hand.

However the leagues are looking, it would look different at the end of the season.

It's either behind closed doors or cancel the whole thing. I can't see how they can put it on hold for long.

The way I see it is 

Cancel Season - lawsuits from the likes of Liverpool, Leeds and West Brom 

Take current positions - lawsuits from likes of Fulham, Villa, Bournemouth

Play behind closed doors - no lawsuits 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

And at the moment still being paid. I know I’ve paid for my season tickets so has 15k other so this season is technically paid for. Going forward if this carries on will become an issue. 
Businesses like bars around football clubs will suffer, but they may will do if games are played behind doors. So knock on affects will come into play soon. 

On the subject of season tickets the deadline for renewing your seats or lose them is on Monday , with massive uncertainty for many and just a small global crisis I notice the caring sharing club has not done anything to acknowledge this by perhaps extending for at least a few weeks , many people I know including myself and family have not done so as yet, I suppose depends how many sold , if not so many might do , but nothing in the PR dept of this club makes me think they give a shit 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

The way I see it is 

Cancel Season - lawsuits from the likes of Liverpool, Leeds and West Brom 

Take current positions - lawsuits from likes of Fulham, Villa, Bournemouth

Play behind closed doors - no lawsuits 

Seems easy but obviously the players have to be coronavirus free,if 3 of your key players let’s say if your villa are out then that’s not fair either,West Ham could have 11 suffering from it and you wouldn’t notice but the point still stands

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Getting up close and personal in sport is more likely to spread the virus than sitting near someone as long as they take the appropriate precautions.

Closing schools is an interesting one. Children get infected with Coronavirus but all the evidence so far suggests that they aren’t as affected by symptoms, which is almost unlike every other virus that the medical profession has to deal with it. It’s frankly bizarre and unlike my own experience as a paediatrician. Children spreading it amongst themselves therefore seems less of a risk. The issue is keeping them away from their grandparents and other older people who appear to be very susceptible to the worst symptoms.

Would you consider that keeping schools open would be a good way to help get towards herd immunity more quickly ?

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Seems easy but obviously the players have to be coronavirus free,if 3 of your key players let’s say if your villa are out then that’s not fair either,West Ham could have 11 suffering from it and you wouldn’t notice but the point still stands

Agree it wouldn’t be fair but I think it needs to be a case of finding the most non-worst option.  

Cancelling season would be better than taking position as they are now. Sending Bournemouth down on goal difference with 9 games left would be insane.  

Other option is to finish the season whenever football is safe to play again and then having 2-3 years of weird season dates as we try to move back to a August to May season 

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Agree it wouldn’t be fair but I think it needs to be a case of finding the most non-worst option.  

Cancelling season would be better than taking position as they are now. Sending Bournemouth down on goal difference with 9 games left would be insane.  

Other option is to finish the season whenever football is safe to play again and then having 2-3 years of weird season dates as we try to move back to a August to May season 

The question is when will football be safe to play again,the experts are at loggerheads about this virus so us numptys haven’t a foggiest 

4 minutes ago, Littlesh*t said:

Sorry if it's already been covered but what will happen if they delay the season and players are out of contract this summer? They aren't going to sign a new contract with the club so could potentially be without key players . Also same for loan players 

It will be a free for all,agents will be lapping this up as per usual 

28 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I suppose clubs in the top two divisions could afford to test each member of staff on a weekly basis, or some kind of safeguarding measures like that?