IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

Who doesn't love a crackpot conspiracy (which is 100% made up.... by me)

Boris is going the way he is with dealing with the virus, it'll delay Brexit negotiations so far he'll get the no deal brexit he wants while not looking like he's failed at negotiations. The projected peak with the method he's taking.... June, the month he set that there needed to be clear progression with brexit deal negotiations with the EU for getting a Canada style deal or he'd walk away.... June

Image result for conspiracy theory gif

Edited by hodge

11 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Out in pubs in London tonight. Full. Proper drinking rules. Allez vous l'mort.

And, to be honest, this is the problem with the current government mixed message - people will die but just wash your hands. It’s the epitome of contradictory. And as such people carry on as normal.

I’ll reiterate - I do not know if our approach is the right one (Herd Immunity). It’s either genius or madness. But the government need to level fully as to what the long term strategy is, rather than leaving it to loons on forums (myself included) to speculate as to what’s likely.

We’re not at war with other countries. This isn’t Brexit. All that needs to happen is honesty. Unfortunately, that’s totally contrary to Johnson and Cummings way of thinking.

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Out in pubs in London tonight. Full. Proper drinking rules. 

Yep, pub I was in Friday night was also quite full.

How long this hiatus will last though is anyone's guess...

Government seem to be giving mixed messages.

EDIT: When I say hiatus, I mean the mismatch between current and projected issues, yet the fact that in other areas it appears to be business as usual so far.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

28 minutes ago, Super said:

I see the latest talk is the over 70's going into quarantine for 4 months?! Good luck with that. 

Yep. My M-i-L is 90 and she was indignant that anybody would dream of curtailing her social life. After two weeks of isolation she'd be bat-shit crazy. The only thing might have got through was telling her that she could be infecting others including her children/grand children/great grand children.

Whether we can actually stop her from going out is another matter. Anybody know where I can buy a taser?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

And, to be honest, this is the problem with the current government mixed message - people will die but just wash your hands. It’s the epitome of contradictory. And as such people carry on as normal.

I’ll reiterate - I do not know if our approach is the right one (Herd Immunity). It’s either genius or madness. But the government need to level fully as to what the long term strategy is, rather than leaving it to loons on forums (myself included) to speculate as to what’s likely.

We’re not at war with other countries. This isn’t Brexit. All that needs to happen is honesty. Unfortunately, that’s totally contrary to Johnson and Cummings way of thinking.

We're not at war with other countries. this isn't Brexit, wtf are you on about? and while I'm at it stop trying to make this a political argument you have no idea how this will pan out, just your own political bias, stop trying to blame the government look after yourself and do what you think is best for yourself and family most of us don't need telling what to do. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

You have absolutely no idea if the strategy taken by our Govt. is the right one or not. Neither do I. Honesty is not a pre-requisite of ANY politician. It doesn't matter what their slavish, drooling allegiance is to any dogmatic 'political principle'. If the red ***** were in power we'd just as likely be in a bigger mess. Let's give the blue ***** the benefit of the doubt for now.

Johnson and Cummings are no more dishonest than any other politicians of whatever political stripe. I'm surprised you think otherwise. Stop trying to score political points, it makes you look idiotic.

Edited by Keyred
Red Wine
  • Like 7
  • Hmmm 1

The health service is busy making preparations but it’s like watching for a tsunami. We know it’s coming, the tide has gone out,  but we really have no idea exactly how big the wave that’s due to come crashing our way will be. All we can hope is that we can cope with it.

And the reality is no one quite knows exactly the best way to deal with this pAndemic anyway. China has pretty much limited the infection to Wuhan by closing it down for a few weeks. However at some point the virus will spread back through the rest of China and then a whole new vulnerable population will be at risk. The herd immunity idea is a reasonable theory (it’s the same as vaccinating 90-95% of a population and keeping pretty much everyone safe) as is trying to spread the peak of the outbreak, but still having it occur during our summer months, when the NHS will be more able to cope. However no one knows for certain if this plan will work.

The one thing I can tell you is don’t go hoping for a vaccine any time soon. As it stands, we have never managed to develop a vaccine against any Coronavirus.

Edited by Dr Balls
  • Like 2

I'm in a very high risk group having multiple health issues including heart failure, a genetic connective tissue disorder and I'm over 60. I take 91 tablets a week just to stand still. I suspect that, a) they wouldn't bother with me overly much and b) I'm unlikely to survive it anyway.

I could get morose and fearful but I prefer to drink red wine and cider, sometimes in the same pint glass, no, not really and partaayyy like it's 2029 (which I'm unlikely to see).

My missus has cancer, has had her thyroid removed and suffers from multiple joint disorders. I said to her, "You know we're likely to die from this if we get it?" She said, "Yeah, what ya gonna do?"(Homer Simpson voice required)

We've been in isolation since last week and pretty soon I'm a gonna have to kill her. No, not really, we get on great.

I've got no great wisdom to pass on, it is what it is. Do the basics, be sensible and maybe, hopefully, we'll come through to the other side.

If I/we should fall by the wayside then remember this; We were City fans.

Good luck to you all.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4
  • Robin 6

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

On Twitter, I read something. 

Apparently in Japan, someone who made a full recovery has been reinfected. Any truth to that and that's very worrying!

Herd immunity may or may not be a sound plan, but the Government are taking one hell of a gamble here!

A couple of weeks ago - 27 yr old woman if I recall.

Oh and a dog in Hong Kong got it from it's owner.....

6 hours ago, pillred said:

We're not at war with other countries. this isn't Brexit, wtf are you on about? and while I'm at it stop trying to make this a political argument you have no idea how this will pan out, just your own political bias, stop trying to blame the government look after yourself and do what you think is best for yourself and family most of us don't need telling what to do

Not true. We have a lot of ******* idiots in this country who lack an awful lot of common sense 

Parcel force driver delivered an item to a customer the other day who had ordered something to his home address. He came out and openly started discussing the fact he was in self isolation as he had symptoms. 

The Weak messages from our government have not helped in the slightest 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Keyred said:

I'm in a very high risk group having multiple health issues including heart failure, a genetic connective tissue disorder and I'm over 60. I take 91 tablets a week just to stand still. I suspect that, a) they wouldn't bother with me overly much and b) I'm unlikely to survive it anyway.

I could get morose and fearful but I prefer to drink red wine and cider, sometimes in the same pint glass, no, not really and partaayyy like it's 2029 (which I'm unlikely to see).

My missus has cancer, has had her thyroid removed and suffers from multiple joint disorders. I said to her, "You know we're likely to die from this if we get it?" She said, "Yeah, what ya gonna do?"(Homer Simpson voice required)

We've been in isolation since last week and pretty soon I'm a gonna have to kill her. No, not really, we get on great.

I've got no great wisdom to pass on, it is what it is. Do the basics, be sensible and maybe, hopefully, we'll come through to the other side.

If I/we should fall by the wayside then remember this; We were City fans.

Good luck to you all.

You’ve not been dealt the best hand there Keyred. 

I hope you profit from your life to the maximum .

My positive vibrations being sent from a small corner of France that is red . 

We are all going to die one day that’s why it’s so important to live your life to the full, follow your dreams , call up that old friend, forgive your enemies , drink cider /red wine in the same glass ...

Live each day as if it is your last because one day it will be.

Peace and love to you all.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Not true. We have a lot of ******* idiots in this country who lack an awful lot of common sense 

Parcel force driver delivered an item to a customer the other day who had ordered something to his home address. He came out and openly started discussing the fact he was in self isolation as he had symptoms. 

Yep. I hope that the government approach of using behavioural science to drive their response takes into account that a significant section of the general public are morons.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

32 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

According to the BBC the most important protection strategy is to keep your hands clean by regular hand washing with soap and warm water, or hand gel if you can find any. The virus is not passed via the air which is why face masks are not essential but it is passed on thru mucus membrane such as eyes and mouth/lips and why we are advised not to touch our faces or rub your eyes.

The virus can survive of surfaces for a short period tho. 

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

On Twitter, I read something. 

Apparently in Japan, someone who made a full recovery has been reinfected. Any truth to that and that's very worrying!

Herd immunity may or may not be a sound plan, but the Government are taking one hell of a gamble here!

Thought this was a helpful article re reinfections. 

Essentially they’re thinking it’s down to early release before recovery and or testing errors. Would be highly surprising if it was due to no immunity. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-13/china-japan-korea-coronavirus-reinfection-test-positive%3f_amp=true

8 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

We aren’t at war but countries will be arguing and competing over other things. Ventilators have suddenly become a “must buy” for every health service worldwide. And where is most of our medical equipment manufactured? Europe. Also since we have pulled out of the European Medicines Agency as part of Brexit (an agency we used to host in London) we will be behind every EU country in getting access to a vaccine, because of the change in our regulations. Read into that what ever you want from a political point of view but the law of unintended consequences comes to mind.

Edited by Dr Balls
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

According to the BBC the most important protection strategy is to keep your hands clean by regular hand washing with soap and warm water, or hand gel if you can find any. The virus is not passed via the air which is why face masks are not essential but it is passed on thru mucus membrane such as eyes and mouth/lips and why we are advised not to touch our faces or rub your eyes.

The virus can survive of surfaces for a short period tho. 

So will surgical gloves cut down the need for hand washing, just bung them in the bin each day:dunno:que the run on disposible gloves; then of course goggles for eye protection and a decent rubber mask and its sorted.Just protect the holes in your body where it can get in????️‍♀️