IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

1 hour ago, dave36 said:

There is a shortage of resources in the NHS - surely 38900 negatives show poor recognition of patients symptoms!

I suspect the vast majority of these are people being admitted to hospital for other reasons, with anything like a high temperature. In those cases it is vital to know who is positive and negative so that proper isolation can be applied.

29 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

As someone who it seems to have an underlying condition, type 2 diabetes (and only one kidney) I would welcome greater clarity. I would be happy to self isolate for several months, provided I could have delivery of those provisions I need, but remain unclear as to the need when I possess no symptoms of the virus. We are being told that all of the 35 who have sadly died thus far had underlying health conditions, but that in itself doesn't seem enough. I don't wish to pry into anyone's grief but it would assist me to know how many of the 35 had type 2 diabetes, or have some indication of the severity of the underlying conditions that caused the tragic loss of life. 

Same here. I am 37, have an underlying heart condition since birth, a stent and low level hypertension but all are pretty asymptomatic. I run five to ten km on a semi-regular basis, had childhood asthma and can feel my chest a bit when running in cold weather but otherwise I would say my health is pretty good. I have the flu jab but, even before I got that, colds and flus have rarely hit me hard and I think I have only once had a chest infection. 

I really could do with more clarity on who and who is not vulnerable as I genuinely don’t have a clue if I am supposed to follow advice for vulnerable people or not. I really would like to know how worried I ought to be. 

Nicked from elsewhere:

Panic in the aisles of Tesco
Panic in the aisles of Sainsbury's
I wonder to myself
Could my bum ever be clean again?
The Co-Op aisles that you look down
I wonder to myself
Hopes may rise in the Aldi
But honey pie, there's no Andrex here
So you run down
To the safety of the town
But there’s panic in the aisles of Lidl
Costco, Asda, Morrisons
I wonder to myself.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Happy to be shot down, like you say it’s winter and people get flu but I know people who had it despite having the flu jab so potentially a different strain to what they usually see? I’m also very rarely ill (like once every few years). Not conclusive at all I know.

I agree with you logically that you’d think it would have been detected if it was around that much earlier

People use the word flu pretty casually, mostly when they have some other virus that manifests as a cold.  One of the actual strains of influenza will generally knock you on your ass (bedridden) for a week or more.  The jab is for the particular strains of influenza that look to be prevalent this year and is low efficacy - seen numbers like 60-70%.  It's given to people at risk of complications to reduce the strain on the NHS, brutally it's an economic thing, there's no real hope of inoculating influenza out of existence.

So, if someone had a jab and then had a flu like illness it could be another virus altogether, a strain of influenza that wasn't covered by the jab, or the jab could just have not worked for them.

7 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Nicked from elsewhere:

Panic in the aisles of Tesco
Panic in the aisles of Sainsbury's
I wonder to myself
Could my bum ever be clean again?
The Co-Op aisles that you look down
I wonder to myself
Hopes may rise in the Aldi
But honey pie, there's no Andrex here
So you run down
To the safety of the town
But there’s panic in the aisles of Lidl
Costco, Asda, Morrisons
I wonder to myself.

Hang the BJ

Hang the BJ

???

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Sky reports that Italy will request Euros postponement: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/30778/11958047/italy-to-ask-for-euro-2020-postponement

And it seems inevitable really. Perhaps not a bad thing for our young squad. Another year for players like Mount, Greenwood, Abraham, Foden and Cantwell to develop, among others.

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

If, as it appears, many of those infected are asymptomatic what's the point in testing? You'd otherwise end up constantly testing the whole of the population to see as and when they became infected or reinfected. No point in that. 

They're testing those in hospital or at high risk who may have related symptoms, likely been exposed or might become super spreaders and that's about it, because that's a sensible approach.

http://bit.ly/JohnsonUnfit

Another example of what I mean about poor communication leading to worrying news announcements:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/uk-coronavirus-crisis-to-last-until-spring-2021-and-could-see-79m-hospitalised?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

What on Earth is the point of secret briefings to Senior NHS managers that contradict what we have been told publicly?

Inevitably things like this are going to leak out and erode confidence as it creates a sense that we are not being told the truth.

We urgently need to be trusted with the truth about how bad this will get and what we should expect. There is nothing to be gained by any other approach.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

If, as it appears, many of those infected are asymptomatic what's the point in testing? You'd otherwise end up constantly testing the whole of the population to see as and when they became infected or reinfected. No point in that. 

They're testing those in hospital or at high risk who may have related symptoms, likely been exposed or might become super spreaders and that's about it, because that's a sensible approach.

Yes, that's totally logical. 

32 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Ashton appears to be a 'former' self important gobshite. Interesting he doesn't suggest what Government should be doing other than 'convene COBRA' (which for those who've never been there is a ROOM -Cabinet Office Briefing Room A, as opposed to the smaller B.) It's not a standing function of control. It's political point scoring at times like these that aren't needed.

Anybody know why he's 'former' and now a rent a quote?

30 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Another example of what I mean about poor communication leading to worrying news announcements:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/uk-coronavirus-crisis-to-last-until-spring-2021-and-could-see-79m-hospitalised?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

What on Earth is the point of secret briefings to Senior NHS managers that contradict what we have been told publicly?

Inevitably things like this are going to leak out and erode confidence as it creates a sense that we are not being told the truth.

We urgently need to be trusted with the truth about how bad this will get and what we should expect. There is nothing to be gained by any other approach.

It simply shows the contempt with which we are viewed by our Government. 

• Like 3

• Admin

I assume at some point, lockdowns, isolations and businesses going bust, unemployment spiralling out of control and possible anarchy, someone will have to decide that some sort of normality will have to resume, albeit there will be some ‘collateral damage’ in that some people will die.  Maybe they would die anyway, but at some point, some people may have to sacrificed for the greater good.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

The British public cannot be trusted with the truth. Would instantly descend into chaos if people were overwhelmed. 

Part of the government's responsibility is to control the inevitable chaos. And BS is very much part of that. 

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

10 minutes ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

The British public cannot be trusted with the truth. Would instantly descend into chaos if people were overwhelmed. 

Part of the government's responsibility is to control the inevitable chaos. And BS is very much part of that. 

Things are already descending into chaos. And there was no way on Earth this report would be suppressed. You cannot control chaos by trying to hide things that are bound to come out very quickly indeed.

11 minutes ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

Quite.

The majority of the public are stupid - witness the panic buying and mass hysteria.

Can't be trusted with anything remotely like the actual situation.

• Like 8
  • Hmmm 1

55 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

The thing I'm struggling with isn't so much how people might try to dodge this by lockdown tactics but how on earth people on fixed incomes and no savings are expected to live if they can't go out to work?

They can't be expecting everyone to run off and claim Universal Credit. We'd have to be looking at rent/mortgage amnesties, setting up food banks for essential supplies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

People use the word flu pretty casually, mostly when they have some other virus that manifests as a cold.  One of the actual strains of influenza will generally knock you on your ass (bedridden) for a week or more.  The jab is for the particular strains of influenza that look to be prevalent this year and is low efficacy - seen numbers like 60-70%.  It's given to people at risk of complications to reduce the strain on the NHS, brutally it's an economic thing, there's no real hope of inoculating influenza out of existence.

So, if someone had a jab and then had a flu like illness it could be another virus altogether, a strain of influenza that wasn't covered by the jab, or the jab could just have not worked for them.

Yep agreed and to be honest at the time I’d probably consider what my partner had as a “bad” cold rather than flu, but it did last much longer than usual.

Mine unfortunately was flu, like you say bed/sofa ridden for 4-5 days before I could even face stepping outside!

didnt realise the flu jab percentage was as low as that

46 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

The thing I'm struggling with isn't so much how people might try to dodge this by lockdown tactics but how on earth people on fixed incomes and no savings are expected to live if they can't go out to work?

They can't be expecting everyone to run off and claim Universal Credit. We'd have to be looking at rent/mortgage amnesties, setting up food banks for essential supplies.

Rationing, if it's as serious as all that....?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

The more I read, the more irrelevant football becomes.

I’m past caring about finishing the season, Euro 2020 and when next season will start. I fear it’ll be all lost in the noise over the coming months.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Yep agreed and to be honest at the time I’d probably consider what my partner had as a “bad” cold rather than flu, but it did last much longer than usual.

Mine unfortunately was flu, like you say bed/sofa ridden for 4-5 days before I could even face stepping outside!

didnt realise the flu jab percentage was as low as that

I think it varies a fair bit every year as they have to guess what the strains are and cook up a vaccine that covers the most likely suspects in pretty short order to get it manufactured in time.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, hodge said:

Who doesn't love a crackpot conspiracy (which is 100% made up.... by me)

Boris is going the way he is with dealing with the virus, it'll delay Brexit negotiations so far he'll get the no deal brexit he wants while not looking like he's failed at negotiations. The projected peak with the method he's taking.... June, the month he set that there needed to be clear progression with brexit deal negotiations with the EU for getting a Canada style deal or he'd walk away.... June

Image result for conspiracy theory gif

A Canada FTA is a hard Brexit not that far from No Deal (with the removal of most tariffs with the EU but all other barriers remaining). It will be hailed as a triumph because brexiters will have achieved their prized goal: the ability to deregulate from the EU’s strong standards of protecting its citizens.

I’m not sure if the EU would accept it. But as it’s such a meagre deal for the UK they might just give in because of the huge trade deficit we have with them. What’s important is this is nothing like what Leave EU promised it’s voters in 2016. It’s bottom of the barrel stuff.

1 hour ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

You and @bcfc01 are either perhaps privy to significant info that you cannot stick online or even tell people generally, or, you're full of it.

Certainly hope it's the latter...former really cannot be good.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Sky reports that Italy will request Euros postponement: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/30778/11958047/italy-to-ask-for-euro-2020-postponement

And it seems inevitable really. Perhaps not a bad thing for our young squad. Another year for players like Mount, Greenwood, Abraham, Foden and Cantwell to develop, among others.

Euros are being postponed, sponsors have been informed

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The more I read, the more irrelevant football becomes.

I’m past caring about finishing the season, Euro 2020 and when next season will start. I fear it’ll be all lost in the noise over the coming months.

Kinda with you CR.  I know it’s a bit of banter re Liverpool potentially missing out on a long awaited title, or on the other end of the scale, club’s desperate not to be relegated....but I think even over a few days, we’ve seen people start to worry less about football and focus on more important things.

Whatever will be will be in terms of football.  Some will win some lose.

• Like 2

On 14/03/2020 at 16:42, Robert the bruce said:

What I want to know is where has 'Brexit gone???......all lost & forgotten.

It happened.

It’s the possibility of a decent trade agreement that’s being screwed by this (Not that I ever thought we’d get one).

Love to see the Venn diagram between all those ‘Blitz Spirit’, ‘Dunkirk’, ‘D-Day’ spouting gammons and those stockpiling ******* Andrex.

I’m imagining just 1 circle.

Edited by RumRed
  • Like 5
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, RumRed said:

It happened.

It’s the possibility of a decent trade agreement that’s being screwed by this (Not that I ever thought we’d get one).

Love to see the Venn diagram between all those ‘Blitz Spirit’, ‘Dunkirk’, ‘D-Day’ spouting gammons and those stockpiling ******* Andrex.

The Venn diagram of those that actually experienced those events might be a less surprising inter-section. ?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Worrying use of words like “will” rather than “could”