IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

1 hour ago, pillred said:

Just generally, the keep calm and carry on slogan I think has summed up the British character and is particularly apt at this moment in time. And as for being the sick man of Europe I think considering our population we are relatively low down the numbers per head of population many more deaths in other EU countries with a lot less people so we must be doing something right, of course I can't predict what will happen in the future. 

Well the sick man tag was relative to our financial position before joining the EU, though if the government get this wrong (who by the way I have said I am trusting on this one despite not being a fan) then we could well be seeing more sickness than our neighbours

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Give it a rest ffs.

I didn't bring it up, simply replying to someone why it's nonsense to say "we were ok before the EU so we'll be ok after" completely different times.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Oh I don't disagree about the demographics argument- and Norway built up reserves out of their North Sea Oil didn't they, some sort of fund- a much lower population helps too.

We are densely populated...but if nothing is done, it is possible we could see a significant spike in unemployment and evictions.

Unemployment is most likely to rise if we all panic (as the markets are doing.) Interesting how some companies and individuals (those who can) are responding, John Lewis moving staffs to Waitrose, restaurants moving into food deliveries, companies remotely upskilling and training staffs temporarily under-deployed. Critical bug enterprises will need support, as will local business which is what the Government's trying to do. It's for that reason the keep on carrying on mentality is right as eventually we'll have learned to coexist with the virus, longer term damage from social isolation is far more damaging in the long run.

42 minutes ago, pillred said:

The first vaccine is to be tested on human volunteers in the US, let's keep our fingers crossed it works.

Problem is they test on fit and healthy youngsters (I speak from experience including one T1 trial that went badly,) and that's not the population group we urgently need to vaccinate. I've already seen ads here in London for trial volunteers and the demographic was for those for whom the virus appears not to have significant impact.

We also shouldn't cut corners as although we all desire a quick solution God forbid they rush out a product that, long-term, does more harm than good.

I know many think it inertia but if it is possible to slow the rate of infection and prioritise those becoming infected to be from within the very low risk groups, mankind's own ability to produce an immune response is always our greatest hope.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Picked my parents up from Manchester airport yesterday afternoon when they returned from Majorca (where the situation had changed virtually overnight on Saturday from everything being open to nothing being open) and I've never seen it so quiet. My parents said it was the quickest they'd ever got through passport control and baggage reclaim in 20 years of using the airport.

I flew back into Gatwick 9am Sunday - no queue at immigration, bags arrived in 5 minutes it was a strange experience.

43 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Latest information from my daughter's school. 

Screenshot_20200316-140400_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.8168ed30c51c3ee08c264b235a2eef58.jpg

Working in a school myself, I can confirm that there is a daily email that is being sent to all schools with the latest updates/advice. This is literally changing daily!! 

We have parents keeping children off "as a precaution", then in some cases, will keep them off for 2 days, send them in for one day, and then keep them off for a other 2+ days. The one day they do come in "mum had to go somewhere". Unfortunately this is a small group of parents, who's children only have to do so many days of the normal school term.....

The number of emails/phone calls from parents asking for updates is unreal. It also doesn't help when you have WhatsApp groups that say something like "schools closing this week" which in turn causes no end of problems!!

@Ska Junkie - I saw that video the other day, thought it was great!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Unemployment is most likely to rise if we all panic (as the markets are doing.) Interesting how some companies and individuals (those who can) are responding, John Lewis moving staffs to Waitrose, restaurants moving into food deliveries, companies remotely upskilling and training staffs temporarily under-deployed. Critical bug enterprises will need support, as will local business which is what the Government's trying to do. It's for that reason the keep on carrying on mentality is right as eventually we'll have learned to coexist with the virus, longer term damage from social isolation is far more damaging in the long run.

Agreed to a point, though there may well be cause to panic- still a fair few unknowns IMO.

That is good to hear- ways to keep things going and keep income flowing one way or another, has to be fairly positive. Some creativity, John Lewis to Waitrose a good plan,- temporarily upskilling under-deployed and training staff that is a positive to take.

Still have concerns over the strategy though- unknown factors mainly.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 hours ago, pillred said:

Just generally, the keep calm and carry on slogan I think has summed up the British character and is particularly apt at this moment in time. And as for being the sick man of Europe I think considering our population we are relatively low down the numbers per head of population many more deaths in other EU countries with a lot less people so we must be doing something right, of course I can't predict what will happen in the future. 

I think @MarcusX meant 40 years ago; just before we joined the EU, a time I can remember, we were known variously as the sick man of Europe, the poor man of Europe and the dirty man of Europe.  Fairly sexist times, as you'll gather! But not far from the truth.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

As well as asking for public money to prop up his business, Branson is also telling his staff to go without pay for eight weeks.

Sell your tropical island, you bearded ****, and pay them half money at least

And pay some taxes while he's at it

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

As well as asking for public money to prop up his business, Branson is also telling his staff to go without pay for eight weeks.

No surprises from the bearded tax fraudster, given that's how he made his money, but there are other ways Governments can help. It's only in the past week both EU and FAA acceded to airline requests to cease having to fly empty planes. My nephew is a long haul Virgin pilot and he's been saying for many weeks how pointless it's been flying planes with cargo only.

Transport however has to be an exception, it'll be required once this crisis is over, is essential infrastructure even if in private ownership, so why not have Governments buy back cheaply what is a necessary public service?

• Like 2

I thought Brexit might break my company, but it looks like it might be Covid-19.

60% of our income at present comes from one huge project in Munich. Germany has just closed its borders and I don't know when we can complete or what the client is going to do. 

Worrying times.

• Sad 7

13 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

No surprises from the bearded tax fraudster, given that's how he made his money, but there are other ways Governments can help. It's only in the past week both EU and FAA acceded to airline requests to cease having to fly empty planes. My nephew is a long haul Virgin pilot and he's been saying for many weeks how pointless it's been flying planes with cargo only.

Transport however has to be an exception, it'll be required once this crisis is over, is essential infrastructure even if in private ownership, so why not have Governments buy back cheaply what is a necessary public service?

Seems not a bad idea- would that be just planes or go for other forms of public transport too...?

20 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Seems not a bad idea- would that be just planes or go for other forms of public transport too...?

I think it'd make more sense to pump monies into taking back / partner rail operations ( should they seek support) rather than the folly of HS2. This should not however be a bail out, as requested by Fly-Be.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

I think it'd make more sense to pump monies into taking back / partner rail operations ( should they seek support) rather than the folly of HS2. This should not however be a bail out, as requested by Fly-Be.

Yeah, that's a reasonable quid pro quo tbh- money in as is necessary probably but we get something back on it, important infrastructure...definitely not a bailout.

Boris Johnson press conference at 4.45pm apparently. I'm not a huge Tory fan but this feels apolitical, our leader will show the way (hopefully).

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Of he is feeling the pinch, he could always just sure the NHS again.

Latest measures:

- Now self isolate for 14 days if anyone in house has symptoms

- The self isolation at the end of this week will be for 12 weeks for the elderly

- Police and ambulance not supporting large gatherings

- Everyone if possible to work from home, avoid isolated places like pubs and restaurants 

- Avoid non essential travel and contact

Noticably:

- No school closures

- No ban on pubs etc, self regulating

- No ban on mass gatherings- just won’t be policed

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Latest measures:

- Now self isolate for 14 days if anyone in house has symptoms

- The self isolation at the end of this week will be for 12 weeks for the elderly

- Police and ambulance not supporting large gatherings

- Everyone if possible to work from home, avoid isolated places like pubs and restaurants 

- Avoid non essential travel and contact

Noticably:

- No school closures

- No ban on pubs etc, self regulating

- No ban on mass gatherings- just won’t be policed

Like with the sports events, the govt are putting the onus on the populous. Seems a bit odd...