IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Which fraud?  If you mean Johnson (Boris not Lee) then I have no doubt you could add all politicians of all parties to that, who has ever had to deal with something like his in peace time?  All any politician can do is act on the scientists advice, if they went off on their own thoughts, then if it all went to shit, they’d have no get out at all.......

I broadly agree but I do think it cynical and a bit cowardly to ask people not to go to pubs but refuse to close them outright. The government has a responsibility to play fair by everyone at a moment like this and that has to include ensuring small businesses are not out of pocket with no recourse to compensation or support.

What he has effectively done is deny pubs business without allowing them to claim on their insurance, thus protecting insurance companies and destroying small businesses. That is not scientific advice but very nasty politics.

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 9

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

All basically common sense at the moment.

Agreed. Has to be with some, if not all of them. We all have to make sacrifices in such times.

I believe it won't be unanimously seen as such though. Can imagine some on this thread raising objections for a start.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed. Has to be with some, if not all of them. We all have to make sacrifices in such times.

I believe it won't be unanimously seen as such though. Can imagine some on this thread raising objections for a start.

I would certainly hope not. Now is not the time to politicise things but to ensure each and every person has the basic support they need. France has gone much further but the list above is literally the least we can do.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I would certainly hope not. Now is not the time to politicise things but to ensure each and every person has the basic support they need. France has gone much further but the list above is literally the least we can do.

Well BTRFTG was raising points earlier about Denmark, Sweden etc and how they differ to here. I bet it won't find universal favour though. Even if it possibly should.

4 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Did I dream that we, as a country, are now only testing people ill enough to show up at hospital?

Not even that. Many people with possible covid-19 symptoms that have been turning up at hospitals have simply been told to go home and self-isolate without being tested. 

They only test you if you are actually hospitalized or meet the criteria of having come from a country in lockdown etc 

28 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I broadly agree but I do think it cynical and a bit cowardly to ask people not to go to pubs but refuse to close them outright. The government has a responsibility to play fair by everyone at a moment like this and that has to include ensuring small businesses are not out of pocket with no recourse to compensation or support.

What he has effectively done is deny pubs business without allowing them to claim on their insurance, thus protecting insurance companies and destroying small businesses. That is not scientific advice but very nasty politics.

He's a spineless shithouse of a man. Protecting his mates whilst the hospitality and entertainment industries go to the wall.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Mrs F predicted he’d take this stance, she’s far more cynical than me.

6 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

He's a spineless shithouse of a man. Protecting his mates whilst the hospitality and entertainment industries go to the wall.

In news that is in absolutely no way related to the above, it appears that last year Johnson was paid £25k by the British Insurance Brokers Organisation for a speaking engagement.

• Like 1

I have been ill and at home for a week along with my son. My daughter was ill prior to this and passed it on.  Johnson now says that we should self isolate for two weeks.  I am now fine, my son is now fine. My daughter has been fine for a week. But we should all self isolate for two weeks?  Even though we are pretty damn sure it isn’t covid. 

So the advice is even if you’ve probably not got covid, please stay at home for two weeks. 

48 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Unbelievably quiet on the roads today for a Monday. I whizzed across Plymouth in no time at 8:30 this morning and it took ten minutes to get out of the centre of Exeter at 5:30 tonight. I`ve been through Totnes, Torquay, Newton Abbot and Ivybridge and I reckon there must have only been half the cars on the road than there normally are if not less.

The only hold ups I`ve come across have been for road works.

Lucky you. I drove home from Newton Abbot to Cullompton to find the M5 closed at J28 due to a 'police incident'. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Yeah, course he is FFS. First thought must be to say to all the advisers "whoa, whoa, hang on a minute, I got a few mates who work here and there and we can't shut them down". Committing political suicide just to protect a few mates!!

Get a grip of yourself and stop posting utter nonsense., and get yourself over to the Politics Forum if you want to make everything on here political.

6 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Yeah, course he is FFS. First thought must be to say to all the advisers "whoa, whoa, hang on a minute, I got a few mates who work here and there and we can't shut them down". Committing political suicide just to protect a few mates!!

Get a grip of yourself and stop posting utter nonsense., and get yourself over to the Politics Forum if you want to make everything on here political.

This sums it up 

5A51EBE0-A7BD-4D58-B452-2683BE2C3EB0.png

• Flames 2

38 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I broadly agree but I do think it cynical and a bit cowardly to ask people not to go to pubs but refuse to close them outright. The government has a responsibility to play fair by everyone at a moment like this and that has to include ensuring small businesses are not out of pocket with no recourse to compensation or support. I am not sure that forcing, inter alia, pubs to close would increase their turnover. Surely, say 25% of the previous turnover is better than nothing at all.  

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Mrs F predicted he’d take this stance, she’s far more cynical than me. I seem to recall Mrs F works in insurance, so she will no doubt be able to advise you about Business Interruption cover. 

4 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

In news that is in absolutely no way related to the above, it appears that last year Johnson was paid £25k by the British Insurance Brokers Organisation for a speaking engagement. Precisely.

All very interesting comments, but I would doubt that many 'independent' pubs and/or restaurants, if any, hold the appropriate Business Interrupton insurance cover that might apply in these current circumstances. 

Without going in to the semantics, for BI cover to apply, an insured event that affects the insured business itself must have occurred, e.g. a fire, storm etc.

To give a local example, should there have been a serious fire in an adjacent street, think Guildhall, with access to your establishment being denied for perhaps weeks, it is unlikely your BI cover would apply.    

28 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Really don’t wanna get into any political shite on this, but how is advising people to avoid crowds in pubs, theatres, restaurants etc an example of Boris ‘protecting his mates’ ?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wood_red said:

It is political. Boris Johnson has chosen to protect the insurance industry over small businesses. That is literally a political decision. Telling someone not to make politics political is the daftest thing I have seen on this thread.

And you would need to be utterly naive not to realise the decision is connected to the fact the insurance industry has more lobbying influence than small businesses 

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

I expect all the children are watching Boris and getting the news from him are petrified!! Jeez

I doubt most children even know a lot about it as they don't really need to be told all the hard cold facts do they.

My nephew came around earlier after school with not a care in the World and straight on the iPad and earphones in - but if you want to tell all and sundry children are petrified you go for it....

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Really don’t wanna get into any political shite on this, but how is advising people to avoid crowds in pubs, theatres, restaurants etc an example of Boris ‘protecting his mates’ ?

If he instructed people to not attend then the companies in question could claim on insurance.  As he has only advised then they can’t. Thus protecting insurance companies 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

All very interesting comments, but I would doubt that many 'independent' pubs and/or restaurants, if any, hold the appropriate Business Interrupton insurance cover that might apply in these current circumstances. 

Without going in to the semantics, for BI cover to apply, an insured event that affects the insured business itself must have occurred, e.g. a fire, storm etc.

To give a local example, should there have been a serious fire in an adjacent street, think Guildhall, with access to your establishment being denied for perhaps weeks, it is unlikely your BI cover would apply.    

All I can say is that I have connections with people who work within some of those businesses and they believe they have the cover if the order is made to close. It goes without saying that I have not responded their policies and am going off what they tell me their insurance says.

Pretty fed up of people having ‘political’ arguments on this. 
Whether you like Boris or not, I think it’s pretty clear to see that he is taking the advice of the eminent experts of our country - he isn’t making it all up himself! 
This is a totally unprecedented situation and no one, in any country, knows how to handle this. Our ‘experts’ are attempting a softly softly approach rather than an immediate lockdown. Other countries have done differently. 
It’s not a political point of view. It’s not Boris making these recommendations. Please, he’s not bright enough. 
Let’s quit the political arguments. 
We are in the very early days of a very lengthy and deadly situation and no one has any clue yet what the best way to deal with this is. 
Let’s just abide by the advice being given. 

If you don’t agree that schools should be open - you are free to make your own choice and keep your kids at home. 
If you don’t agree that pubs shouldn’t be open - make your own choice and don’t go to one. 
If you don’t agree that you shouldn’t have close contact with your elderly relatives - make your own choice and go and see them as much as you want. 

No government is gonna get this right. However, ours is relying on us, as a general public, not to be a bunch of disrespectful pricks and to act with due care and attention to the situation. 

I personally have been very wary to keep a distance from people over this last week. I’m amazed that when I took my daughter to school this morning there were people still congregating so close together and happily nattering away in close-contact. I kept my distance, dropped her off and went home without coming within 2 metres of anyone. It’s easy to do, if you want to. Our government’s philosophy at the moment is that people act responsibly - sadly many people aren’t taking this seriously. 

The death rates will not be the responsibility of anyone on government. We are all able to make our own choices. The continual ignorance of the population is what will cause more deaths than anything the government have decided so far. 

Quit the political nonsense folks and batten down your hatches. They’re giving you a personal choice to do this at the moment. If you don’t all start acting responsibly then they will have to force it upon you via martial law. And then you’ll really have something to complain about. 

I find it baffling that people are trying to blame Johnson for a fricking pandemic, accuse him of not doing enough, and then still **** off to the pub of a night anyway. 
Unbelievable. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 2