IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

2 minutes ago, pillred said:

50% of what you say is quite a reasonable argument the other 50% is complete political point scoring B***Ocks I will leave you to decide which is which.

The political ramifications of this pandemic are going to be huge either way. Politicians will eventually be judged on how they managed this. We are only a couple of weeks in to it and it has got a long, long way to run, so life is not likely to be quite the same again. The comment about having just lived through the summers of 1914 and 1939 seems very apt. You may not like or want my prescriptions but enormous financial and political interventions will be needed and many countries have already started to make them.

As for Bojp, I don’t feel sorry for him at all. He has spent most of his life bluffing his way through and looking after No. 1. Suddenly he is in the biggest worldwide crisis of the last 75 years and there is no easy way out of facing up to his responsibilities as prime minister, unlike his usual personal modus operandi with wives, lovers and children. No wonder he looks tired and is aging rapidly before our eyes. There really is nowhere to hide any more. No more disappearing off to the Caribbean for a couple of weeks. With great power comes great responsibility, or did no one tell him that?! At least he seems to have wisely decided that experts are a good idea after all...

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

The political ramifications of this pandemic are going to be huge either way. Politicians will eventually be judged on how they managed this. We are only a couple of weeks in to it and it has got a long, long way to run, so life is not likely to be quite the same again. The comment about having just lived through the summers of 1914 and 1939 seems very apt. You may not like or want my prescriptions but enormous financial and political interventions will be needed and many countries have already started to make them.

As for Bojp, I don’t feel sorry for him at all. He has spent most of his life bluffing his way through and looking after No. 1. Suddenly he is in the biggest worldwide crisis of the last 75 years and there is no easy way out of facing up to his responsibilities as prime minister, unlike his usual personal modus operandi with wives, lovers and children. No wonder he looks tired and is aging rapidly before our eyes. There really is nowhere to hide any more. No more disappearing off to the Caribbean for a couple of weeks. With great power comes great responsibility, or did no one tell him that?! At least he seems to have wisely decided that experts are a good idea after all...

I certainly don't feel sorry for him, but to blame him in any way until we know how this will pan out is pure speculation, as you say let history be the judge what he has done, is doing may well turn out to be a masterstroke let's hope history will be kind otherwise, well it doesn't bear thinking about.

If countries coordinated better early and aggressively did so, for example had those returning from anywhere else been stuck in quarantine or isolation from the get go and had aggressive tracing and testing started early and continued across the board, might this have been suppressed significantly? 

Feels too late now but an interesting counterfactual. I'm convinced most- if not all- countries have made significant errors on this.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If countries coordinated better early and aggressively did so, for example had those returning from anywhere else been stuck in quarantine or isolation from the get go and had aggressive tracing and testing started early and continued across the board, might this have been suppressed significantly? 

Feels too late now but an interesting counterfactual. I'm convinced most- if not all- countries have made significant errors on this.

I think hindsight is a wonderful thing but with it it's difficult to argue that allowing people to just enter the country from infected areas was a huge mistake.

11 hours ago, BS2 Red said:
One of the partners at my wife’s work has been getting worried about the financial implications of the virus.

He said today that he might have to get rid of his Bentley if things get too bad. And he wasn’t joking, he genuinely expected sympathy.

Eat the rich.

I'm genuinely worried about the financial implications for me and my wife. She's self employed and we rely heavily on her wages to feed our family. We are expecting so she is currently expected to self isolate and we will not be able to pay our bills on the £75 a week ESA. 

I'm watching with horror as every other nation suspends mortgage payments and utility bills, whilst this government is actively contributing to the destruction of lives. 

Any *** who didn't use their vote to get these bastards out should be ashamed. 

8 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I doubt many small businesses have insurance that covers such a scenario, so not sure how that is protecting insurance companies, it’s big one off events like Glastonbury that are likely to be insured, rather than a local pub or restaurant.

You would possibly need a ‘Human Disease’ extension under your Business Interruption’ section of your commercial insurance, obviously subject to policy wording.

The truth is very few will have this. Some will say they never knew, the vast majority just probably wouldn’t have paid for it as they saw the risk as so small. 

Some people struggle to justify basics like ‘storm and flood’, let alone obscure extensions to BI.

7 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I must say I am slightly disappointed at your all-encompassing post (most unlike you) as, in fact, this is a subject about which I know quite a lot: I deal with Business Interruption insurance claims, especially within the 'leisure' industry, on a professional basis and have done so for many years.

I tried as best I could to stress that my comments about the lack of BI cover related to the smaller, independendent pubs and restaurants, and I maintain my position.

No doubt your contacts within the industry will be able to update you once they have taken professional advice. 

I shall be very interested to learn how your contacts get on. 

I can only talk about grassroots live music, entertainment and arts venues, which including pubs that put events on and I can promise you they will be affected by this. They have taken the professional advice and they know they are affected and that they would have been covered by insurance if closure had been ordered, which is why I find it so odd that people who have not seen their insurance documents, nor spoken to their insurers are adamant the professional advice they have been given is wrong.

9 hours ago, Harry said:

This is clearly a once in a lifetime event. I don’t for one second believe that the government is purposely taking a course of action that is intentionally screwing people over. 
They are simply trying to stem the flow of pressure on the nhs by a slowly slowly philosophy, rather than inducing full lockdown, full panic and an overful nhs. 

I personally believe that every single economy in the world will collapse over this. We are in the very early days of a very long struggle. I don’t believe that any policy is to single out any particular industries - every single industry and every single person is going to suffer. They’re just stemming the flow at the moment. 

Many people are going to die and whatever course of action is taken will not prevent that. This is not a political game.  

someone is making money from this

1 hour ago, J-mat said:

I'm genuinely worried about the financial implications for me and my wife. She's self employed and we rely heavily on her wages to feed our family. We are expecting so she is currently expected to self isolate and we will not be able to pay our bills on the £75 a week ESA. 

I'm watching with horror as every other nation suspends mortgage payments and utility bills, whilst this government is actively contributing to the destruction of lives. 

You won’t be able to afford food, but he won’t be able to afford his Bentley and will have to make do with his Range Rover and Aston Martin.

Swings and roundabouts.

32 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I can only talk about grassroots live music, entertainment and arts venues, which including pubs that put events on and I can promise you they will be affected by this. They have taken the professional advice and they know they are affected and that they would have been covered by insurance if closure had been ordered, which is why I find it so odd that people who have not seen their insurance documents, nor spoken to their insurers are adamant the professional advice they have been given is wrong.

‘Shows and Event’ can be slightly different and offer cancellation cover akin to a travel policy. However these tend to be geared toward one off or annual events.

A small music venue hosting regular local bands would have standard commercial insurance and the vast majority would not have this cover.

What I’m finding is it isn’t the short sharp shock that can’t be absorbed, it’s the longevity of its nature. 

We reviewed our own BCP 2 weeks ago and discovered that a major weakness was assuming that a longer shutdown would be ‘site specific’ and not nationwide.

Its these kind of unforeseen issues, never taking ‘human disease’ extension as we never thought it would be applicable, that are causing a challenge.

On a positive, we saved the banks 10 years ago (then paid for it through austerity) now they can save us.

Funny old world eh?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-mat said:

Quite agree with you JM. I am a pensioner of 69 and wife is 67. When I retired !! I knew to get the extra's in life we would have to work so we got a job with local taxi firm to take a disabled child to school. I drive and the wife is the guide. It brings in a reasonable top up to our pension to enjoy the luxuries in life ( like a ST in the South Stand !!) With the Coronavirus spreading, our little girls mum has decided to take her out of school so effectively putting us both out of work, we totally understand her reasons and applaud her for putting her daughter first.

Queue calling Sedgemoor Council yesterday re our Council Tax.

Curt answer: You will still have to keep paying it but suggest you contact Age Uk to see what can be done.

Call Age UK. Ansaphone message and still not heard.

Outcome:  Whatever Doris and his ministers say, at grass roots sweet FA happens and you have to take control so today I am cancelling all SOrders and DD's and if they want the money they can come round to my place where I will be self isolating. Common sense would say that all your creditors should have sympathy and allow maybe a 3 month 'holiday' on payments you regularly make, mortgage, c/tax, hp payments, etc, but whoever said that we have common sense running this country its down to every individual to look after THEIR family doing whatever is necessary through these difficult times ( and I in 69 years have never experienced the like, even in recessions which in 1990 wiped out my own company - hence no private pensions)

Best of luck mate and to everyone who will strive to put food on their families table

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

You started by saying they have denied pubs business without allowing them to claim on insurance and it was "nasty politics". Now it seems you are not talking about all pubs and small businesses but generally entertainment venues, which includes some pubs? It seems obvious to me from what @PHILINFRANCE  @054123 and from what I have been told by the owners of a couple of pubs and an insurance company owner, that many (and I would bet money it would be the majority), would not be covered at all. We now have it on the news that businesses cannot claim due to non force closure - shame they cannot back it up with actual numbers or a percentage.

I also don't see anyone claiming that no businesses wouldn't be able to claim, because there will be ones with the adequate insurance. To suggest it is odd nobody will actually know because they haven't read all individual business documents, and are adamant the professional advice they have been given is wrong is a bit strange imo. I am not saying the professionals advice they have been given is wrong at all, you are only talking about the businesses who have been told they are covered if force closed - because they are insured for that outcome. I, and others are saying many won't be covered at all, and that is true - and if they spoke to the same professionals for advice they would be told they wouldn't be covered with the policy they have.

Will leave it there as there are bigger things to worry about.

Isn’t the bigger picture view here, not insurance payouts, but government support.

If a business goes under today per se, they are stuffed.  Had it been a result of an order from government to shut down, then government would have some liability.

France has said no business will go bust.  Ours has given a woolly statement re support and liquidity.

Our country is not leading our people as I would expect them to.

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

10 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Has anyone blamed Boris for it? Can’t see it 

10 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Who's doing that then?

To be fair, lots of it going on over social media, particularly twitter.

8 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

The pandemic will cause more chaos in the world than any event since the Second World War and it will be more universal. The loss of life may well be of a similar order once the virus hits the third world, which is saying something considering how many died during that conflict. Out of 8 billion people, with 75% catching it, even with only a 1% mortality rate that equates to 60 million deaths worldwide. If that doesn’t call for somber contemplation nothing will!

Radical solutions will be needed. Forget Universal Credit for those laid off from their jobs or whose business collapse. Also there is no point just bailing out big businesses in the way that the banks were in the financial crash of 2008, where all the money went to the richest, and all the pain was borne by the rest of us for years to come, this time we need a universal income at least in the short term. The money needs to go to the people not the “fat cats”. In the meantime, we need funds, so taxing Facebook, Amazon and Google fair amounts across all countries has to come too.

This will truly be a shock to the neo-liberal Western financial system, one for which it is ill-prepared, as it hates market intervention. However only governments working for their populations and working together can sort this out.

As for food, considering as a country we import 50% of it from overseas (mostly from the EU that we left 6 weeks ago) we are in big trouble if the supply lines start drying up. Rationing may be a last resort but it’s no longer unthinkable if this situation continues until next year. 

We are in truly unprecedented times, and as I mentioned before, Boris should have been more careful about what he wished for. He might have hero worshipped Churchill but now he is being asked to deal with something which is potentially far more difficult and complex. And all because he wanted to be “World King” as a kid...

Depending what you define as the thirld world, it has hit them? Many parts of Africa have confirmed cases. 

39 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Isn’t the bigger picture view here, not insurance payouts, but government support.

If a business goes under today per se, they are stuffed.  Had it been a result of an order from government to shut down, then government would have some liability.

France has said no business will go bust.  Ours has given a woolly statement re support and liquidity.

Our country is not leading our people as I would expect them to.

?

You've nailed it there Dave. I believe that in this respect especially, they have been behind the curve.

That thing phantom posted about DWP suspending assessments was a confirmation to me that they believe unemployment to take off, or at least spike off the back of this.

By no means simply in hospitality either. 

Whatever we think of the Government, I don't believe the national approach cuts it in this respect or has done to date. 

Said it on a couple of threads albeit moaning a little about top footballers during this crisis but that's barely anything now. We all need to make sacrifices it would seem, if things are reaching the stage some think.

Many are or will be, with their jobs and businesses. **** knows what the unemployment rate will be in a couple of months.

From the health and advice POV, yesterday was an improvement (unsure they're there yet), economically it's lacking.

Maybe the virus will burn out, a vaccine will be sought, maybe it'll be no more than a standard recession, where a lot of temporary layoffs and targeted support can suffice. 

Unsure that this is true however. 

Also before I forget, self employed too. Add them to the list.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

?

You've nailed it there Dave. I believe that in this respect especially, they have been behind the curve.

That thing phantom posted about DWP suspending assessments was a confirmation to me that they believe unemployment to take off, or at least spike off the back of this.

By no means simply in hospitality either. 

Whatever we think of the Government, I don't believe the national approach cuts it in this respect or has done to date. 

Said it on a couple of threads albeit moaning a little about top footballers during this crisis but that's barely anything now. We all need to make sacrifices it would seem, if things are reaching the stage some think.

Many are or will be, with their jobs and businesses. **** knows what the unemployment rate will be in a couple of months.

From the health and advice POV, yesterday was an improvement (unsure they're there yet), economically it's lacking.

Maybe the virus will burn out, a vaccine will be sought, maybe it'll be no more than a standard recession, where a lot of temporary layoffs and targeted support can suffice. 

Unsure that this is true however. 

Also before I forget, self employed too. Add them to the list.

Yes, it was...but still was lacking in certain aspects.  Think they are missing a trick by making it purely a speech from three guys in front of a lectern.  There is opportunity to have some ‘PowerPoint” slides too.  On Thursday the guy used a big screen to show the curve.  Re-use that media to make the message easier to digest.

11 hours ago, Badger08 said:

Not a Boris fan by any means, but I actually thinks he's handling this situation pretty well. What else can the poor guy do?  Anyone blaming Boris for a pandemic virus is simply insane. 

Ok, I'll give a personal example of the government's failings currently. Not aimed particularly at Boris but I guess he's in it.

I'm a 58 yr local old GP of 29 yrs. Due to retire April 6th, but I've told the practice I'll come back and help when they need me, as inevitably clinicians are gonna start to get sick.

However this coincides with an appraisal I would have been due also in April, and I've been told categorically that if I don't sit down to discuss quality initiatives and personal development etc , they'll revoke my licence to practise. I've rang the GMC and they just repeat the same mantra.

Now I don't have an overwhelming desire to expose myself to this virus anymore than anyone else, but equally feel that this is what I do and I should try to help.

Local MP is running it by Hancock today, but there's a bit of me thinks **** it why bother.

• Like 9

16 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Worrying times for us all, Robbo.

Hope you and your team can see this out, successfully.

At least I don't run a restaurant. :blush2:

15 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

South Korea have tested more than anyone else and as a result they’ve found more cases, many of which are pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic. This has meant a higher number of cases but a much less terrifying case fatality rate (below 0.7%). 

IF we are only testing people who end up in hospital then how can we keep track of the numbers, give a more accurate impression of how lethal the virus is and how can people with mild infection truly know if they have any immunity in future?

Maybe I’ve got the wrong end of the stick but that would be ******* mental!

I can't help but think this "only test people if they've come back from abroad or know they've been in contact with people who have" is a cheapo way of trying to hide that they just do not have the resources to do so. South Korea at one time was the world's most infected country and what they did was test anyone who thought they had symptoms, if positive test those who were known to come into contact with them, and if those are positive test those in contact with THEM and so on. The rigorous testing regime and isolation of those with covid-19 has successfully slowed the progress of the virus right down there.  Over here, we have umpteen people who have no idea if they have the virus or not and we are relying on no one basically doing anything for the foreseeable for it just to vanish. Which seems very optimistic.

12 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

If he instructed people to not attend then the companies in question could claim on insurance.  As he has only advised then they can’t. Thus protecting insurance companies 

A bloke from the industry talking on R4 this morning said it was highly unlikely most hospitality industry outlets would have insurance that paid out even if they were legally ordered to shut, and even for those that did, the delay in payouts would mean they still wouldn't have the cash-flow to continue paying staff. He said yesterday's announcement effectively made 1 million redundant. Numerous pubs and restaurants are likely to never re-open and parts of our heritage and the UK we know could be lost forever.  :crying:

The more I think about the way this is being tackled - the economic impact, the social isolation and worry with likely increases in mental health problems/suicides, plus the lack of exercise for many and long-term health problems that will cause - the more I'm beginning to think that the expert's "cure" for this virus could be worse than the virus itself. Particularly if these measures last all year, as many suggest they will. 

No way will the economy "come roaring back" as Mr Blobby suggests, once a vaccine is developed. We're looking at deep, deep economic hardship and a very slow recovery.

Edited by Red-Robbo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Badger08 said:

I'm not saying on here, but I have seen people blaming Boris for not closing airports sooner etc, in turn blaming Boris for the virus entering the country. 
Its amazing what things people with a political agenda will use to hit someone with. 

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a politics thread, this is far bigger than one person, one party etc.   Everyone needs to play their part.  

Had BJ announced  a total lockdown - schools shut, travel stopped etc - 2 weeks ago, to avoid greater infection, I strongly suspect that any of those now criticising his actions would have been equally vocal in criticising him for overreacting and jeopardising business, when the majority of other countries had not taken such steps.

There aren't rights and wrongs with this virus, only people having to make the most educated guesses they can based on the best medical and scientific information and advice. I don't envy any world leader with the momentus decisions they are having to consider.

On the question of insurance, while I have no direct experience of business insurance, a lifetime in the mortgage industry tells me that 90%+ of mortgage applicants will protect their mortgages against their death, but only 3% will protect against loss of income through sickness or redundancy. They do so because they think that eventuality highly unlikely and also because of cost.

Accordingly, I suspect similar attitudes will prevail in small business, so I think it highly likely that a large majority of small businesses in the pub, restaurant industry will have building and contents insured but none, or very limited, business protection.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Markman said:

look at ebay - it is quite depressing

eBay should be removing all adverts that are cashing in on this (according to their own T&Cs), this is where I do get very cynical though - the higher the prices due to demand then the more money they make from the sellers....

43 minutes ago, reddoc said:

Ok, I'll give a personal example of the government's failings currently. Not aimed particularly at Boris but I guess he's in it.

I'm a 58 yr local old GP of 29 yrs. Due to retire April 6th, but I've told the practice I'll come back and help when they need me, as inevitably clinicians are gonna start to get sick.

However this coincides with an appraisal I would have been due also in April, and I've been told categorically that if I don't sit down to discuss quality initiatives and personal development etc , they'll revoke my licence to practise. I've rang the GMC and they just repeat the same mantra.

Now I don't have an overwhelming desire to expose myself to this virus anymore than anyone else, but equally feel that this is what I do and I should try to help.

Local MP is running it by Hancock today, but there's a bit of me thinks **** it why bother.

Good luck, hope you get a positive response. We are all going to need people like you in the weeks to come.

Ludicrous position to be in though: someone, and at a lower level than the health minister, needs to just take the responsibility to make decisions that our outside the norm. 

• Like 1

16 rolls of Andrex toilet roll that is £7 in Asda (granted they do not have any on the shelves) are going for £25-£30. All those sellers should hang their heads in shame imo.

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Good luck, hope you get a positive response. We are all going to need people like you in the weeks to come.

Ludicrous position to be in though: someone, and at a lower level than the health minister, needs to just take the responsibility to make decisions that our outside the norm. 

Push comes to shove I'll do the appraisal, but it'll be imaginative as for obvious reasons I haven't bothered documenting anything I've done this year.

Reckon if I schedule it for the end of April, it's unlikely there will be anyone to do it anyway.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wood_red said:

16 rolls of Andrex toilet roll that is £7 in Asda (granted they do not have any on the shelves) are going for £25-£30. All those sellers should hang their heads in shame imo.

It's profiteering, at a time of possible crisis. Hang their heads in shame is quite kind if anything.

Interesting story from USA. Someone had 17,700 containers or similar of hand sanitiser. EBay account was shut basically, or was it Amazon. Couldn't get rid of them.

The upshot was they had to give them all away, or 'chose' to. That 'choice' however was against the backdrop of being investigated for price gouging...giving them away may well help him! 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51909045

Sure we have some similar laws? If not we make some for emergency use only. Get these ******* in front of a court, or a police station. Anti social at best!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2