IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

2 minutes ago, TRL said:

I wouldn't take anything off the table the way thing s are going, and at a quick rate.  There have already been 3 or 4 actions which a month ago wouldn'tever in a month of Sundays thought would ever happen!

If people stop acting like dicks then there’s a better chance it won’t happen. Pubs packed yesterday for Paddy’s day apparently in a lot of cities.    

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

When we say lockdown, can we define lockdown?

People still need to eat- supermarkets for example.

I suspect that will also be fluid, if it gets  so bad it could be that people are handed out cards that allow them to go shopping on certain days  and it has to be shown to police/army on request.  Hopefully it never comes to that, but the wy this is escalating, it is a possibility.

2 minutes ago, lenred said:

If people stop acting like dicks then there’s a better chance it won’t happen. Pubs packed yesterday for Paddy’s day apparently in a lot of cities.    

Exactly

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TRL said:

I wouldn't take anything off the table the way thing s are going, and at a quick rate.  There have already been 3 or 4 actions which a month ago wouldn'tever in a month of Sundays thought would ever happen!

It is possible that curfews may come in - if people continue to ignore the advice not to attend gatherings, pubs, etc. 

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

It is possible that curfews may come in - if people continue to ignore the advice not to attend gatherings, pubs, etc. 

Yep, that was my thinking, but I am getting angry thinking about those idiots so decided to say nowt rather than go off on a rant

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

This chart suggests the govt is doing a whole lot more than those with childish jibes that they are not. These are facts. Look at Italy.. what a laugh. Even the US is only committing to 5% of GDP at present.

My faith remains in a govt who leans on a world renowned medical team and industry.

IMG_20200318_221303_364.jpg

Are you serious?

They've wasted 2 months of possible preparation for this to hit on a policy that any fool could see would overwhelm the NHS before a screeching U turn on Monday, and you have faith in them?

Edited by Stortz
  • Like 2

• Admin

20200318_175945.jpg

4 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Are you serious?

They've wasted 2 months of possible preparation for this to hit on a policy that any fool could see would overwhelm the NHS before a screeching U turn on Monday, and you have faith in them?

All about how people interpret latest figures 

Damned if they do damned if they don't 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

20200318_175945.jpg

All about how people interpret latest figures 

Damned if they do damned if they don't 

100%. Some will say schools should have shut days/weeks ago, some will say they shouldn't shut, some will say force business closures and some won't. If the Government done certain things months ago, many would say it was way over the top and no need and they are clueless.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and you still don't know if certain things happened months ago we would be better off.

Here's something.

Given most of society is basically shutting down, is the stock market/financial/currency markets still a vital function in such times?

Can't work it out- Food supplies- yes. Hospitals- yes. Pharmacy- Quite probbaly.

Stock markets- and I mean globally as you can't have one nation shutting and leaving itself open- but should it be suspended globally for a period?

• Like 1

Currently at our surgery we have one young member of staff off work almost certainly with the virus, and our manager gone due to a family member in a similar situation. No deep cleaning whatever that is, as they have not been able to get a test and therefore can't confirm the diagnosis . I believe a neighbouring surgery is in a similar situation.

Today's update has confirmed the COVID Home Management Service will not be mobilised at a local level, suggesting they were not able to recruit enough idiots willing to do this job. Therefore responsibility has been handed back to the GP's or providers as we're affectionately known. As things stand we've been given about 6 of the masks that everyone knows don't work and a roll of clingfilm to protect ourselves with.

I've had a completely serious conversation with one of my partners this evening with regards to how accurately we'll be able to determine someone's need for admission over the phone on the basis of how distressed their breathing sounds, as quite frankly we're unwilling to assess these patients in person without suitable protection.

Either way I suspect many front line medics will be unavailable in the near future and my intent is not to alarm, but suggest you don't go down the pub this evening , visit the gym etc. Be as antisocial as possible.

Three points to make, firstly this is at a local level and may not represent all of you, secondly I'm very alarmed and thirdly the clingfilm was a joke , they were going to give it to us but Tesco had run out.

If there are any inaccuracies in this I apologise , but it is my understanding.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Admin

The EFL Board met today to discuss the implications of the COVID-19 outbreak for the League and its Clubs.

After receiving a detailed brief on a number of matters, the Board reaffirmed that the health and well-being of EFL staff, players, Club employees and supporters would remain central to all decisions in these fast-changing circumstances.

The EFL Board also acknowledges the positive role that member Clubs are playing in community solidarity, especially in supporting the vulnerable at this time.

2019/20 SEASON SCHEDULE

The primary objective, in order to protect competition integrity, is to deliver a successful conclusion to the 2019/20 season, subject to the over-riding priority around health and well-being. Plans continue to be developed on the agreed principle that it is in the best interests of the EFL and Clubs to complete the current season at the appropriate time.

The EFL is continuing regular dialogue with the Government and relevant health authorities and, as and when more information is known regarding the scale and extent of the coronavirus outbreak in this country, a decision will be taken on the resumption of the League’s fixtures.

Conversations will continue with the EFL’s counterparts at the FA, the Premier League, the PFA and the LMA to ensure football achieves a joined-up and collaborative approach.

FINANCIAL SUPPORT

As part of the League’s continued contingency planning, the Board heard the comments and observations from EFL Clubs, before discussing a number of issues including the current financial position and implications, insurance, regulatory matters and broadcasting arrangements.

Discussions centred on financial relief for Clubs in the short term and while there is no one single solution, measures are to be put in place to immediately assist with cash flow via a £50million short-term relief package.

This fund consists of the remaining Basic Award payments being advanced to Clubs immediately, with the remainder made up through interest-free loan facility available to Clubs, calculated in line with the EFL’s Article of Associations.

The cash injection is included as part of a series of measures, that includes potential Government support to help Clubs and their associated businesses through this period of uncertainty. The EFL welcomes last night’s announcement made by the Chancellor of the Exchequer, and is continuing discussions to understand how our Clubs can access the funding made available to support businesses.

In addition, we will continue our discussions with our football partners to determine how we can all get through this difficult, challenging and unprecedented situation.

CONTINGENCY PLANNING

The EFL, through a dedicated taskforce, continues to review the threat posed by the coronavirus pandemic, and its impact on our Clubs and competitions.

Alongside ensuring the 2019/20 season reaches a successful conclusion, protecting the EFL and its Clubs is a key priority for the EFL Board, who have today agreed on the following objectives to support future decision-making:

• Ensure the health and well-being of our Clubs’ employees, supporters and communities
• Make a positive contribution to the UK’s efforts to tackle coronavirus
• Protect the EFL’s financial model and Club finances
• Enable the EFL to continue to function as a business 
• Deliver a successful conclusion to the 2019/20 season

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, TRL said:

Yep, that was my thinking, but I am getting angry thinking about those idiots so decided to say nowt rather than go off on a rant

Its similar to the arseholes who panic and bulk buy leaving others with nothing, selfish ignorant *****.

Just saw on the news ********* queuing at 06.30 outside supermarkets to get at bog rolls, pasta, tins, sanitisers etc. 

But common sense from suppliers will prevail with all supermarkets putting limits on items (doesn't stop 3 or 4 members of the same family buying separately) and some having shopping hours for the elderly with full stocks of essential items.

Its these arseholes that cause issues and they can't be trusted with information as they are stupid.

There you go - did your rant for you :)

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Its similar to the arseholes who panic and bulk buy leaving others with nothing, selfish ignorant *****.

Just saw on the news ********* queuing at 06.30 outside supermarkets to get at bog rolls, pasta, tins, sanitisers etc. 

But common sense from suppliers will prevail with all supermarkets putting limits on items (doesn't stop 3 or 4 members of the same family buying separately) and some having shopping hours for the elderly with full stocks of essential items.

Its these arseholes that cause issues and they can't be trusted with information as they are stupid.

There you go - did your rant for you :)

The panic buying really annoys me.

Shops are being restocked, but the moment people see an empty shelf, they default to 'eek! They didn't have any last time I looked, I'll buy as much as I can when I next see it!'

You won't be anymore hungry than usual during this time, so you don't need to buy any more than usual. It isn't difficult.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

When we say lockdown, can we define lockdown?

People still need to eat- supermarkets for example.

People will still need to get pharmacy related stuff, but eat in particular.

Judging by the empty shelves and the stockpiling that has taken place, a big chuck of the population have enough pasta/rice/spuds/eggs/milk in to feed themselves until Christmas!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

The panic buying really annoys me.

Shops are being restocked, but the moment people see an empty shelf, they default to 'eek! They didn't have any last time I looked, I'll buy as much as I can when I next see it!'

You won't be anymore hungry than usual during this time, so you don't need to buy any more than usual. It isn't difficult.

Definitely - supermarkets could see what was happening a couple of weeks ago, especially with the toilet rolls. Why that wasn't stopped there and then to 2 packs per customer is beyond me - I know some will get family members etc and will take the pee, but at least most would have followed and only bought 2 so others could then get 2 and then not go back. The only issue with rationing them is that some cannot get them for elderly neighbours/friends etc who cannot make it to the shops. 

The early opening is fine for the OAPs only, if they can get to the supermarket (even though they have been told to stay home), but will it stop others buying for them? WIll still have selfish people turning up if they can buy them and just say "it's for my elderly mum".

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

I don't think anyone will be under house arrest...

...apart from anyone caught with more than one pack of toilet rolls in their shopping trolley! :) 

3 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Definitely - supermarkets could see what was happening a couple of weeks ago, especially with the toilet rolls. Why that wasn't stopped there and then to 2 packs per customer is beyond me - I know some will get family members etc and will take the pee, but at least most would have followed and only bought 2 so others could then get 2 and then not go back. The only issue with rationing them is that some cannot get them for elderly neighbours/friends etc who cannot make it to the shops. 

The early opening is fine for the OAPs only, if they can get to the supermarket (even though they have been told to stay home), but will it stop others buying for them? WIll still have selfish people turning up if they can buy them and just say "it's for my elderly mum".

Part of the problem is that if you limit people to being able to buy '3 packets of toilet paper'  they will default to buying 3 packs, even if they just need one. Fearing that there must be a shortage.

Far fairer, would be to let people select what they want, and if they can't justify why they need so much, they get charged 5 times the value of the shop, kicked in the nads, and then made to walk home whilst being mocked by good citizens.

If they can justify it, as you were, carry on.

Girlfriends sister has just text and two of her flat mates have symptoms of the virus and been advised to self isolate. Told her that the advice is all of them to self isolate for 14 days. Been told they’ll not going to and will carry on their daily lives 

• Hmmm 1

Anyone tried buying a freezer recently?

You know when you have the box that comes up showing ‘23 people are viewing this item’  well, last night looking at a Kenwood Freezer at Curry’s there were 3,200 people doing the same! 

Looking forward to a Summer spent eating frozen peas and  ice cream. 

6 minutes ago, daored said:

Girlfriends sister has just text and two of her flat mates have symptoms of the virus and been advised to self isolate. Told her that the advice is all of them to self isolate for 14 days. Been told they’ll not going to and will carry on their daily lives 

Not aimed at you per se, but that is pretty shocking.  How do you educate them and change their moral compass?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not aimed at you per se, but that is pretty shocking.  How do you educate them and change their moral compass?

I completely agree , ones doing a masters , so would expect to be relatively well educated !

Edited by daored

C4 news, after the news of exams being cancelled someone claiming its likely to be decided by teacher assessments, if true then welcome to a shit tonne of lawsuits if students don't get the grades they need to attend the university they want. Personally at GCSE level I was predicted a D in Maths by my teacher but studied and revised hard and got a B, deciding by teacher assessments will set a lot of kids back majorly.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

C4 news, after the news of exams being cancelled someone claiming its likely to be decided by teacher assessments, if true then welcome to a shit tonne of lawsuits if students don't get the grades they need to attend the university they want. Personally at GCSE level I was predicted a D in Maths by my teacher but studied and revised hard and got a B, deciding by teacher assessments will set a lot of kids back majorly.

My niece has been having extra tuition and her grades are on the rise, her mock GCSE results were a lot higher than her predicted grades, and if that additional tuition was continued (and it is planned to be) then the higher grades are far more likely to be achieved.

Will the results reflect that? I hope so, do I expect them to? No.

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

There will be winners and losers undoubtedly.  It’s a tough call.

How much of today’s exams include coursework?

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

They're finally stepping up testing capacity. Something that should've been done as priority one, but at least is happening now. Must've been reading my angry social media posts ;) 

Good news.

Businesses need more clarity and more grants/less loans if they are to keep paying staff as orders dry up. The other option is a surge in benefit claimants that will be unprecedented in history and likely be as unmanagable as if everyone got sick at once.

I read about efforts to develop a test to see those who HAD Covid-19 but are now recovered. Be interesting to test all of us here who had Covid style symptoms before the virus "arrived" in the UK and see whether it was about before early Feb. Also, if we knew we'd caught it  and recovered, we'd likely have a high degree of immunity and could be very valuable to society, taking on tasks that are currently being undertaken by those who have not caught the virus.

This! I’d love to know if I had it because then hopefully I could worry less about infecting my vulnerable relatives but also provide more help to them and others with less risk.

i can also reassure my work that I’m fine to do the things I need to do to help keep the business running

• Like 1