IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

And UK still isn’t testing....incredibly people happy with BJ and gang 

Do we have enough kits to test everyone?

If not, where do we get them all from?

Do you want us to test every person within the UK?

If so when, where and how many staff are required to test everyone safely?

I have had a bad cough for a week, but no temperature, so I may well have it but with milder symptoms - where would I go in the queue for testing? Is it safe for me to go and get tested? 

30 minutes ago, gl1 said:

Death count

In January there was an increase of over 2900 deaths compared to jan 2019. 
9000 more deaths than December 

56000 deaths in January in total

looks like coronavirus has already claimed a few thousand in jan. I know there was no recorded cases but I don’t think there was testing was there?

So if the curve of deaths follow Italy and we lose 4000 in a month, there would be a lift of 8% on presumption that none of the 4000 would have died anyway

not sure what to feel about these figures. Your Thoughts?

2A1B7F45-2211-4D64-B82D-D57DE40B8DF3.jpeg

From Coffee House @ The Spectator
By Ross Clark
Could measures we’ve taken to stop Covid-19 already be saving lives?
20 March 2020, 12:15am
Text
Comments

Perspective is a bit in short supply at the moment but if you want a brief respite from the onslaught of bad news, take a look at these statistics. They are Office for National Statistics figures for the total numbers of deaths from respiratory diseases in England and Wales for February this year, compared with last year.

2019    2020
7 February    1,918    1,572 (-346)
14 February    1,931    1,586 (-345)
21 February    1,890    1,587 (-303)
28 February    1,786    1,517 (-269)

1 minute ago, pillred said:

Death toll up 53 today to a total of 233.

As a percentage of total fatalities, that is quite a jump.

Would imagine it'll be at least 3 weeks before we see any trends forming following the closure of restaurants and pubs.

I hope it does inspire a trend, as this is likely to give people some confidence that the measures are working.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Last time I looked we were the 4th highest testing country in the World. We are also ramping up our testing and developing an antibody test to show who has already recovered.

Jesus Christ, man: don’t use facts to back up your argument. Be like the majority: uninformed bigoted armchair scientists. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

So despite Italy being two weeks ahead of us we learnt nothing in those two weeks and are now tracking them. Great

Could be worse I suppose. Trump and his cronies had an even slower response to this and as a result the US infection rate per capita has just overtaken ours. Worried about my family out there.

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

As an interesting aside to this when you have your annual flu jub with the four strains that were selected as being likely for that year not only are you protected from those strains that year but indefinitely.  So if you have been having flu jabs for the last twenty years you now have immunity to eighty strains of flu built up.  Obviously that immunity will slowly weaken over time but if the latter theory is correct for Spanish flu then you have at least fifty years protection from those eighty strains.  The jabs are definitely worth having.

Thanks for this info, Ed. I genuinely didn't know this - and have been turning down flu jabs for years. Will take it next time it's offered.

On another point, the panic buyers are still at it and silly things are scarce now. Fresh veg, eggs, meat - even bloody pickles.  Supermarkets I've been to are permanently rammed and the shortages mean you often have to go to more than one to get basics. Meaning you probably encounter about 1000 times the number of potentially infected people than if the pubs were still open. I wonder if it's time to start scoping bringing back ration books?

This is a war. Just against an invisible enemy.

Edited by Red-Robbo
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

And UK still isn’t testing....incredibly people happy with BJ and gang 

7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

If they were doing all they can then I wouldn’t mention it would i.  More testing please Boris and gang. Unless they want people to get it I guess 

What happened in the 10mins between these 2 posts; first we arent testing then you are asking for more testing; which means we are testing but not enough? is that what you meant to say?

did you listen to the last Boris broadcast when he/the panel clearly answered the question of testing...several times?

So many seem to know the right thing to do, hows that then? been here before ?

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

As a percentage of total fatalities, that is quite a jump.

Would imagine it'll be at least 3 weeks before we see any trends forming following the closure of restaurants and pubs.

I hope it does inspire a trend, as this is likely to give people some confidence that the measures are working.

We are exactly the same as Italy in stats and also in the public’s relaxed attitude to isolation and social distancing. Italian people now talk of regret in their early actions. The UK People are copying those early actions 

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Could be worse I suppose. Trump and his cronies had an even slower response to this and as a result the US infection rate per capita has just overtaken ours. Worried about my family out there.

Thanks for this info, Ed. I genuinely didn't know this - and have been turning down flu jabs for years. Will take it next time it's offered.

On another point, the panic buyers are still at it and silly things are scarce now. Fresh veg, eggs, meat - even bloody pickles.  Supermarkets I've been too are permanently rammed and the shortages mean you often have to go to more than one to get basics. Meaning you probably encounter about 1000 times the number of potentially infected people than if the pubs were still open. I wonder if it's time to start scoping bringing back ration books?

This is a war. Just against an invisible enemy.

Army will be out soon you can guarantee it. People are just not listening. They need it imposed on them if the cannot act sensibly 

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

It is interesting but I’d want to know how much that figure fluctuates from year to year. If it is higher than 2019 but comparable to previous years then it may mean nothing but if January 2020 was significantly higher than other recent years then it could be significant.

I’m not an expert but a quick search brings back figures of around 600,000 deaths per year. Winter months around 45000 to 60000 deaths per month, falling to mid to high 30,000’s in the summer months. Looking back at last decade January deaths are anywhere between 45,000 and 60,000, this year was a spike though. But Is does go up and the last winter flu epidemic looks like it claimed 10,000 ish 

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

We are exactly the same as Italy in stats and also in the public’s relaxed attitude to isolation and social distancing. Italian people now talk of regret in their early actions. The UK People are copying those early actions 

Germany's stats hugely stand out. 4 times the cases of the UK with about 40% of the deaths. 

I think these stats are going to be all over the place until we are well past it because the testing is at different points of the graph.

Defeating Coronavirus will be a marathon not a sprint. Comparing Italy two weeks ago with UK is nonsense and shows people up to be narrow minded bigots whose only interest is to take a dig at the government in a time of national emergency. This country is full of point scoring show ponies. When at ‘war’ you have to acknowledge that you will lose some battles. But winning the war is what it’s all about. 

Edited by DSTAF
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Good. Drove down Gloucester Road today. Packed 

Agreed. I'd go so far as to say seizure of bought goods if it gets too stupid. 

People just don't seem to be getting it. I just really wonder how ******* thick some people are in this country.

6 minutes ago, gl1 said:

I’m not an expert but a quick search brings back figures of around 600,000 deaths per year. Winter months around 45000 to 60000 deaths per month, falling to mid to high 30,000’s in the summer months. Looking back at last decade January deaths are anywhere between 45,000 and 60,000, this year was a spike though. But Is does go up and the last winter flu epidemic looks like it claimed 10,000 ish 

World numbers range from 300k to 600k.

4 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

No they are not, and they haven't been.  That's why people are complaining. The standard of leadership from the top has been pathetic, and unsurprising considering Bozo's record in public office. Don't be naive.

Keeping the red flag flying I see. 

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Correlation of the people not getting it and people who voted Brexit must be quite high I’d say 

I doubt it. I would think either side of that divide are equally as thick all for their own selfish reasons.

Selfishness is the common denominator not political leanings from my experience