IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

Mrs LR popped out to Tesco`s in Launceston this morning and managed to get everything she wanted - mince, cheese, sausages, fresh veg and even some rice ( she only got one of everything, not twenty!). It was all stuff we would have bought every week normally.

I really think the limit on purchases is working PROVIDED it`s being enforced. I also think in smaller towns with only one supermarket there`s an element of `I know what you did` where people acting like selfish idiots can easily be spotted by folks that know them and they`re shamed into acting a bit more considerately.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

That is who he has been arguing with you mean 

You are coming across like a bit of dick in this m8, let it go . The government is acting on the scientific advice what the **** else are they meant to do. They're politicians and they genuinely don't want people to die. Vote Labour in 4 years if it makes you feel better.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

I presume you think the performance of the Chief Medical and Chief Scientist are lamentable too?  As that's where Boris is getting his advice from.

To be fair, a number of other eminent virologists and pandemic experts had criticised the UK's approach - including the Editor of The Lancet, and the World Health Organisation.

And to be even more fair to Chris Witty and Patrick Vallence, we don't know for sure that government policy was shaped 100% by their advice, or if they deliberately delayed the more draconian measures because they thought it would damage the economy too much.

There are a lot of things we'll only know after all this blows over. My criticism is muted until then.

But I think we can safely say that most people - B Johnson included - didn't take it really seriously until it was too late. The virus was here and circulating when Bongo told everyone he had shaken hands with everyone in a hospital which housed Covid-19 sufferers. Of course, like most things he claims, he hadn't actually done that, but it was a daft thing to say nonetheless and shows our early complacency.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

You are coming across like a bit of dick in this m8, let it go . The government is acting on the scientific advice what the **** else are they meant to do. They're politicians and they genuinely don't want people to die. Vote Labour in 4 years if it makes you feel better.

You’re coming across as naive 

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/10-days-that-changed-britains-coronavirus-approach

25 minutes ago, DSTAF said:

Defeating Coronavirus will be a marathon not a sprint. Comparing Italy two weeks ago with UK is nonsense and shows people up to be narrow minded bigots whose only interest is to take a dig at the government in a time of national emergency. This country is full of point scoring show ponies. When at ‘war’ you have to acknowledge that you will lose some battles. But winning the war is what it’s all about. 

It’s likely to be a repeat of WWI. Incompetent ruling class get hundreds of thousands needlessly killed but all is forgotten because we “commemorate” the fallen every year for winning the war. 

19 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

I presume you think the performance of the Chief Medical and Chief Scientist are lamentable too?  As that's where Boris is getting his advice from.

The Chief Scientific adviser has ****** up and will also be accountable for his lamentable actions. The advice and decision for heard immunity won’t go away considering they thought it was a good decision to just let everyone get infected only a week ago. There’s no way around that fatal mistake.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

To be fair, a number of other eminent virologists and pandemic experts had criticised the UK's approach - including the Editor of The Lancet, and the World Health Organisation.

And to be even more fair to Chris Witty and Patrick Vallence, we don't know for sure that government policy was shaped 100% by their advice, or if they deliberately delayed the more draconian measures because they thought it would damage the economy too much.

There are a lot of things we'll only know after all this blows over. My criticism is muted until then.

But I think we can safely say that most people - B Johnson included - didn't take it really seriously until it was too late. The virus was here and circulating when Bongo told everyone he had shaken hands with everyone in a hospital which housed Covid-19 sufferers. Of course, like most things he claims, he hadn't actually done that, but it was a daft thing to say nonetheless and shows our early complacency.

How much experience in dealing with the Coronavirus do the editor of the Lancet and the WHO have?  I’ll tell you how much: the same as every other swinging dick out there. 

The response by the government to COVID can only really be judged when this has finished. 

10 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Mrs LR popped out to Tesco`s in Launceston this morning and managed to get everything she wanted - mince, cheese, sausages, fresh veg and even some rice ( she only got one of everything, not twenty!). It was all stuff we would have bought every week normally.

I really think the limit on purchases is working PROVIDED it`s being enforced. I also think in smaller towns with only one supermarket there`s an element of `I know what you did` where people acting like selfish idiots can easily be spotted by folks that know them and they`re shamed into acting a bit more considerately.

It also depends on timing.

I was lucky enough today to arrive at the co-op as they had a delivery.

Got everything we needed, chicken, mince, tomatoes, bog roll, kitchen roll - one of everything was plenty enough for us as we have a regular home delivery of basics tomorrow anyway.

Lady got stuff taken off her in the queue, not sure what but they told her others need it as well.

Aldi, Lidl, Co-op, all seemed fine - didn't bother with Asda and won't be bothering any more with that place, and I'm leaning towards not going there again after this is all over. Too many selfish idiots allowed to get away with stripping the shelves. The smaller outlets seem fine and I think we'll be using them in future.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

That's it then , best have an election. 

If you think that Johnson goes up to the scientists and says “what is our policy then?’ And they tell him what’s best and he says “okay, thanks. We will do that then”, you are woefully naive.  

2 minutes ago, DSTAF said:

How much experience in dealing with the Coronavirus do the editor of the Lancet and the WHO have?  I’ll tell you how much: the same as every other swinging dick out there. 

The response by the government to COVID can only really be judged when this has finished. 

Or you can say we are on course to repeat Italy despite having two weeks on them!!

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Quick question for any experts on this. Thinking IIRC @SX227 and @Dr Balls especially appear to know their stuff. 

How does this compare to the Spanish flu- any ideas? 1918-1919 in the main- should we treat it as seriously- as lethal?

Comparisons are a bit irrelevant. That said this is the the biggest since then and ultimately will be bigger than 1918. It’s what we have been fearing for some time. My quick calculation a couple of weeks back was at least 60 million deaths worldwide by the end of this, so we are only really at the very beginning. The estimates for the UK vary but 250,000 dead over a year or so is at the lower end. If 80% of the population catch it and 1% die that’s roughly 450,000 dead.

There are no clear game changers on the near horizon. Antiviral drugs are months away at best and a vaccine even further than that. The important thing is to limit the numbers ill at any one time to stop the health service being overwhelmed, otherwise the number of deaths will be even greater.

Since Wednesday, I have been out as little as possible. I have been at home or walked the 5 mins to work and back again that’s it. I must be washing my hands 20+ times per day even on non-clinical days, plus alcohol gel in between. As soon as I get in the house, I wash my hands.

Today I had to go to the shops for essentials but even though a few other people were trying to keep an appropriate distance, I was amazed how few were. And there were a lot of people out on the Downs, although to be fair most were in separate family groups. I know it’s going to be hard to keep kids inside on sunny days, but if you have a garden keep to that. My garden will hopefully be looking fantastic this summer, plus I am hoping to grow some vegetables in case things get really tough!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

If you think that Johnson goes up to the scientists and says “what is our policy then?’ And they tell him what’s best and he says “okay, thanks. We will do that then”, you are woefully naive.  

Or you can say we are on course to repeat Italy despite having two weeks on them!!

I'll stand by my original comment. 

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

And UK still isn’t testing....incredibly people happy with BJ and gang 

Do we have enough kits to test everyone?

If not, where do we get them all from?

Do you want us to test every person within the UK?

If so when, where and how many staff are required to test everyone safely?

I have had a bad cough for a week, but no temperature, so I may well have it but with milder symptoms - where would I go in the queue for testing? Is it safe for me to go and get tested? 

Any chance of a reply to these questions @And Its Smith

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Its too many but I expected a hell of a lot more given the pattern of this bastard.

Perhaps I'm being too optimistic but unless things get much much worse I can't see the final death toll being anywhere the figure some of the more excitable posters on here are proposing, figures of tens even hundreds of thousands being bandied about.

Was out earlier doing some shopping (normal not panic). 

Was surprised to see people not socially distancing correctly. In a supermarket it's difficult to do so when others are not in somewhere like a supermarket though.

Found what was looking for eventually but had to shop around. 

More generally, people walking down road together, holding hands in various cases- I fear the message is not getting through to as many as it should.

4 minutes ago, pillred said:

Perhaps I'm being too optimistic but unless things get much much worse I can't see the final death toll being anywhere the figure some of the more excitable posters on here are proposing, figures of tens even hundreds of thousands being bandied about.

Ignore it.

Hundreds of thousands is total bollux.

Here they come........

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Was out earlier doing some shopping (normal not panic). 

Was surprised to see people not socially distancing correctly. In a supermarket it's difficult to do so when others are not in somewhere like a supermarket though.

Found what was looking for eventually but had to shop around. 

More generally, people walking down road together, holding hands in various cases- I fear the message is not getting through to as many as it should.

If you have a partner, it seems to me quite natural for people to hold hands - why the hell not ?

2 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

The figure (250,000, I believe) in the modelling that scared Bozo and his cabal to change tack on their 'do very little' approach, when they tried to claim the science had changed! It hadn't.

No.

Once again, his advisors (Chief medic and Vallance) said its possible that 20k-50k could die and anything under 20k would be a result.

They have never mentioned 250k.

That is someone else.

If they were doing all they can then I wouldn’t mention it would i.  More testing please Boris and gang. Unless they want people to get it I guess 

I suspect there are many of us on here who wouldn’t mind knowing whether the illness we had over Xmas / New Year was Coronavirus, so we can keep our family, friends and work colleagues safe.  I know that isn’t possible at the mo’, but testing should be high up the priority list.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I suspect there are many of us on here who wouldn’t mind knowing whether the illness we had over Xmas / New Year was Coronavirus, so we can keep our family, friends and work colleagues safe.  I know that isn’t possible at the mo’, but testing should be high up the priority list.

Exactly.

It would give some reassurance to those with vulnerable dependents/relatives and enable people to get back to work etc.

Hopefully we aren't too far away from that.

We are exactly the same as Italy in stats and also in the public’s relaxed attitude to isolation and social distancing. Italian people now talk of regret in their early actions. The UK People are copying those early actions 

Almost another 800 deaths in Italy today let's hope we're not going to have the same number per 24 hours in 2/3 weeks time 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

No.

Once again, his advisors (Chief medic and Vallance) said its possible that 20k-50k could die and anything under 20k would be a result.

They have never mentioned 250k.

That is someone else.

Yes. They remodelled based on the WHO advice set against their 'do very little', 'herd immunity' scam. The modelling showed if they continued down the 'HI' route the death toll would be more like 250,000, not 40-50,000. They shit themselves and changed tack a day or two later.

12 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Almost another 800 deaths in Italy today let's hope we're not going to have the same number per 24 hours in 2/3 weeks time 

The curve is quite steep;

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

As Boris has said - at least 12 weeks before we can see some sort of light at the end of the tunnel - but meantime, if we can get the testing done to identify any retrospective cases, it would help enormously.

Edited by bcfc01
  • Like 1