IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

On 21/03/2020 at 15:43, BTRFTG said:

If you're going to use my name in vain state what it is you suppose I might not like and be explicit as to which aspects of my posts haven't aged well.

Okay.

Will have to trawl back a bit- but your points about state intervention haven't aged so well.

Mortgage holiday- Check- you said it was commonplace in Italy and now they have a significant deficit- well unprecedented times have brought it in here too.

Comparing Denmark and Sweden to here I think it was demographically, in terms of a big stimulus/wage coverage- believe you were fairly unfavorable towards it- well it's happening.

Based on your posts earlier this week, I suspect that you may not be so keen on the big state type (exceptional times) intervention this week.

Believe you were also suggesting we should plough on- happy to get the detail and check against. At the very least you didn't strike me as terribly pro a mass shut down and major state intervention such as what we are seeing.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

On 15/03/2020 at 21:53, Robin-hugh-blind said:

But you would expect them to still try and keep order and potentially a lid on things. 

The problem lies with the people leeking this confidential information, not the intention of the government to keep some kind of order. 

Leaks- it's leaking (unless you're Welsh ;) ).

Otherwise at least spell correctly what you are criticising!! :grr:

These are a fact of life.

On 22/03/2020 at 00:00, joe jordans teeth said:

I’m afraid it’s the culture of the benifits system and that’s a government fault by both parties,I know people who haven’t worked a day in their life and will never do because it’s cushty who have popped down Devon because it’s cheap as hell now 

Fake news, I'm calling fake news or misinformation- how can people on benefits ie JSA afford anything much at all??

• Like 2

It's ironic that certain posters who like to accuse people of playing positive are very keen to defend the Government.

Now I'm not a Tory voter but I think they are doing okay with this- they're gradually getting there but still in certain areas, you can copy other countries...and get ahead of their mistakes, to flatten the curve that bit more. Maybe.

Like I say not cricitising them as it's an incredibly tough ask but if other countries have made errors, in this kind of situation it is imperative you learn from them and as well as some of your positive policies, tweak them so you avoid any avoidable issues. 

Time feels imperative here.

• Like 2

On 22/03/2020 at 00:12, SX227 said:

Quick answer - 'Spanish Flu' was believed to originate in Texas from WW1 vets  - of hispanic origin.

Healthcare was non-existent as the war crippled millions upon millions of troops and civillians - anti-biotics were just being invented.

Spanish Flu killed between 50 - 100 million worldwide

As with COViD 19 - the figures here will be vague - did the old lady die from the virus or her 25 yrs of asthma damage?

Unless tested you'll never know, and we don't have enough kits for the living let alone the dead.

In Western Europe - the answer is simply - no.

There is enough healthcare to limit the damage - but 250,000 dead would not be unexpected at the end.

USA will be lethal for the uninsured and highly populated poor countries like India and Pakistan, African nations will be decimated.

I would honestly expect the toll in those countries to be in the millions by the end - but again, we will never know for sure.

3rd world, poor Islamic countries will be the worst as they simply will not adhere to any kind of instruction if it involves Allah.

Iran probably has 100,000 dead (again we will never know, but videos and satellite imagery shows over-flowing morgues and vast areas of pits and piles of lime......) - but again, led by the lunatic Imans Iranians have attacked and overpowered security and massed at religions sites to kiss icons one after the other in their thousands.

It's suicide frankly, but thats religion for you.

So, overall I'd say 'Western' level healthcare countries with strong social control over the population movement will do the best (although look at you guys in the pubs, and us Australians having to put armed troops on beaches to stop the ####### idiots massing in the thousands)

Next level - USA

Then semi-developed nations like Mexico,Georgia,Thailand 

Bottom of the pile - as I said above, poor countries that put religion above health care.  The death toll WILL be in the millions by the end in those places.

For the Wealthy west, after the virus, prepare for the worst poverty since WW2.

We have now have had to put armed Police in Supermarkets as workers have been stabbed and assaulted, and pensioners bashed in the car parks.

Some f uckwit stole all boxes of sanitiser and 90% of our high-protection masks from Theatre/ICU stores yesterday.

I am currently working using the same mask with sanitary menstrual pads changed every case.

I'm not a real fan of people at the moment - this is really bringing out the worst in some. One of our nurses was bashed unconcious because she wouldn't let someone with a cough and temp into ICU before staff and security could get to her.

24 years old, probably infected and sick herself, and now needs plates and screws to put her face back together, before her missing teeth can be put back.

Trying to help people.

I honestly despair at society today.

Sorry - I'm tired and pissed off.

I'm back again working tonight, but I can say that we do appear to have slowed the virus here (just slowed it) - but if our PM grew a pair and implemented full lockdown for 6-8 weeks, we could actually stop it.  

I have little confidence he will.

I need sleep. I'll answer anymore questions when I get some time (if anyone cares!)

Thank you, that is very informative stuff.

Very scary and depressing stuff, but informative most definitely- and shows what a serious situation we (not just here but the world) is in/heading towards.

USA and insurance, or lack of in varied cases- yes them being hit really hard sounds about par.

Iran? Bangladesh- plus maybe Pakistan? Any others...struggling a bit here.

India, I did read that they had received some praise for their approach somewhere but even if they get ahead of the curve a bit early, they have (IMO) too many in-built problems I fear to flatten any curve at all.

Iran- apparently they all went off to Iranian New Year within last few days despite even their religious leaders urging them to avoid and refrain! Hard to say what the full truth is there but it sounds bad...

Just religion > healthcare or e.g. Africa in general irrespective too owing to their significant issues? Fear big time for some places there and the big 3 in the subcontinent (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh)- SL maybe not so much.

Really?? Government measures to try and stall it or at least keep the economy afloat a bit- why such a plummet? No chance the economy can be put on freeze a bit? Whole world is in same boat after all.

It sounds like things are really bad over there, worse than here in terms of behaviour of public? Thank you for the really quite comprehensive (if scary, depressing answers).

To echo others, take care and keep up the good work- you're all doing great, very important stuff.

4 hours ago, Odysseus said:

Any American I’ve met in this county begs to differ and are amazed no matter who you are you get live saving treatment for free. I’d rather have that for the many than the inconvenience of having to wait weeks longer for an MRI. The problem with our current health system is due to Tory underfunding and staff shortages. 

I watched Fractured the other night. I would rather our system for sure; by and large the NHS is fantastic.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Those nasty, pesky German ultras eh...

(Granted there's a lot wrong with ultras too).

It's no exaggeration to say that practically every single hooligan gang in Poland has mobilized to raise money for their respective local hospitals. I've said many times in differing circumstances on this page, that having an unsavoury hobby does not necessarily make you a bad person and have been slammed by several who prefer to think in black-and-white. But there is much heartening evidence of great kindness from unexpected sources, and it's made all the warmer given these wild, strange times. It gives food for thought when thinking of the sheer selfishness of some. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Some employers are less than responsible- yet in the example you provide I struggle to see much of a short to medium term solution.

Some of your ideas could mitigate it but in the short to medium term, I'm not sure we could just close supermarkets...they should like doctors and nurses and the rest at the NHS get the best possible safety conditions (within the context) in which to work.

Talking of irresponsible employers, a mate- even after Boris said what he said on Monday evening, told me that they still had their office staff in on Thursday. Unsure office staff are necessary?

I’ve been off for two days, let’s see what today brings when a start in half an hours time. I will report back later...

7 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The citizens of this country also have the option to pay for healthcare if they so wish, securing most of what you refer to above. 

The difference is the most vulnerable in society get screwed by the system you describe.

The NHS is the envy of most Americans I've spoken to, granted they are progressive New Yorkers or Californians. You've presumably only ever discussed it with people that are equally as narrow-minded and thick as you are.

And there we go. You’ve highlighted examples of the two biggest liberal states.

Equally narrow minded as thick as me? So that would private business owners and walk street bankers? Must really be burning your far left eunuch bits.

1 hour ago, Redpool said:

And there we go. You’ve highlighted examples of the two biggest liberal states.

Equally narrow minded as thick as me? So that would private business owners and walk street bankers? Must really be burning your far left eunuch bits.

Can you really not see how dense that makes you sound?

Complete disregard for anyone earning less than a banker - sums up Conservatism quite nicely.

I suggest you take your head out of your arse and try and develop some compassion for your fellow man.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Some employers are less than responsible- yet in the example you provide I struggle to see much of a short to medium term solution.

Some of your ideas could mitigate it but in the short to medium term, I'm not sure we could just close supermarkets...they should like doctors and nurses and the rest at the NHS get the best possible safety conditions (within the context) in which to work.

Talking of irresponsible employers, a mate- even after Boris said what he said on Monday evening, told me that they still had their office staff in on Thursday. Unsure office staff are necessary?

I'm STILL here today ?‍♂️ albeit we have a staff meeting at 9 with an "update" from the MD.

There's absolutely no reason I should be in an office (especially as I have a high at-risk father in law living with us at the moment so we can provide the assistance he needs without travelling back and forth). I work for a company in distribution so we have a factory full of agency staff with no distancing measures in place yet and honestly, little idea who is coming in and out and what they are carrying.

If we aren't told to work from home today I'm going to either have to make a case to HR/Directors (with the potential to single myself out whilst I'm still on probation) OR my partner is going to have to move out for 12 weeks and live with her Dad.

update as I type this - people have moved desks so their a little bit further away... forgetting we all use the same toilets, canteen, doors in and out etc. A token gesture really

edit again: someone just walked in (i sit by HR so hear things I probably shouldnt) and someone's just come back from being off ill with some symptoms on Thursday and Friday. Why are people not taking a safe approach and enforcing the 7/14 days?? 

Edited by MarcusX
  • Sad 2

• Admin
7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In Italy, 40,000 people have been fined/prosecuted in terms of the transgression- AFAIK, shots fired- zero. Granted they maybe would've been arrested at gunpoint.

Your views are somewhat interesting...hard to place but a common theme crops up every now and then in your posts.

It was a tongue in cheek end to the post, I genuinely have no idea what the consequences would or should be for breaking any lockdown imposed and how the authorities would carry that out.  Whilst North Korea probably would ensure people only offended the once, I wouldn’t expect that here, I haven’t seen any meaningful thoughts on this in any SM, except a lot of people saying we should be in lockdown, with no ideas of how it would operate.

My Mrs was one of the NHS (frontline) workers who was at Tesco yesterday, the flowers were a lovely touch, hard to believe that there were people there rushing the doors, they don’t deserve the care and efforts of the staff.

There are a lot of stupid people out there. Rushing into supermarkets during NHS hour? Just the scummiest and most selfish people.

It’s not even been that hard to find the things you need if you’re sensible and go to the smaller shops. Avoid the price hiking charlatans obviously, but there are lots of small shops out there that have plenty of stock, I guess because the idiots are all running to the big supermarkets.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

It was a tongue in cheek end to the post, I genuinely have no idea what the consequences would or should be for breaking any lockdown imposed and how the authorities would carry that out.  Whilst North Korea probably would ensure people only offended the once, I wouldn’t expect that here, I haven’t seen any meaningful thoughts on this in any SM, except a lot of people saying we should be in lockdown, with no ideas of how it would operate.

My Mrs was one of the NHS (frontline) workers who was at Tesco yesterday, the flowers were a lovely touch, hard to believe that there were people there rushing the doors, they don’t deserve the care and efforts of the staff.

My other half (a nurse) was there too on Mother’s Day, and she said that the crowd control at Eastville was not good. She queued inside for about an hour to get to a checkout but the NHS staff stayed good humoured in the main. Difficult to socially distance and she wished she had had a mask. She gave the flowers to a homeless girl outside who was eating cold baked beans from a snack pot, who was overcome that she had something that she could give to her mum, wherever she was.

22 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I don't know how it would work either, but that's neither of our problems. We should categorically be in lockdown as the scenes over the weekend demonstrate. Over the next 2-3 weeks people will start to see the consequences of their inexplicable failure to listen to what they're being told , and even if they understandably don't believe a word Boris says, they can see what's happening everywhere else can't they.

The NHS will be no more able to cope than the Italians or Spanish have. No health service is prepared for what we're about to encounter. Bleating on about government cuts etc completely misses the point. Even if we had twice the ICU capacity it still wouldn't be enough, and of course you then have the question of man power, which will diminish over time. As I mentioned in another thread we already have lost 3 members of staff last week from our surgery, 2 clinicians , and it's barely started yet.

Technically I retire in about 10 days, forgotten when it was gonna be, realistically I've delayed that for 3 months accepting it'll probably be 6. If it's to be believed we may get some proper protective gear this week, if not I'm trying to convince my wife to move out whilst the risk is relatively low.

Actually don't have the words to describe what I think of the people ignoring the advise given currently, but without doubt they as a collective are responsible for other people deaths. That's not a maybe it's a straightforward fact.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Odysseus said:

Any American I’ve met in this county begs to differ and are amazed no matter who you are you get live saving treatment for free. I’d rather have that for the many than the inconvenience of having to wait weeks longer for an MRI. The problem with our current health system is due to Tory underfunding and staff shortages. 

Agreed. We pay much less into health care compared to much of Europe. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, reddoc said:

I don't know how it would work either, but that's neither of our problems. We should categorically be in lockdown as the scenes over the weekend demonstrate. Over the next 2-3 weeks people will start to see the consequences of their inexplicable failure to listen to what they're being told , and even if they understandably don't believe a word Boris says, they can see what's happening everywhere else can't they.

The NHS will be no more able to cope than the Italians or Spanish have. No health service is prepared for what we're about to encounter. Bleating on about government cuts etc completely misses the point. Even if we had twice the ICU capacity it still wouldn't be enough, and of course you then have the question of man power, which will diminish over time. As I mentioned in another thread we already have lost 3 members of staff last week from our surgery, 2 clinicians , and it's barely started yet.

Technically I retire in about 10 days, forgotten when it was gonna be, realistically I've delayed that for 3 months accepting it'll probably be 6. If it's to be believed we may get some proper protective gear this week, if not I'm trying to convince my wife to move out whilst the risk is relatively low.

Actually don't have the words to describe what I think of the people ignoring the advise given currently, but without doubt they as a collective are responsible for other people deaths. That's not a maybe it's a straightforward fact.

Most people are intrinsically selfish. It's just some more than others. 

We're probably down to the last 5m who couldn't give a shit and laws will be needed to mop them up. 

My disabled son needs me to help care for him. He's been without me for over a week now depending on the best efforts of his Mum. These shits will only prolong my pain and his pain. 

Edited by CotswoldRed
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Starting to think that humanity may never fully recover from this situation.  There's too much damage being caused to the world's infrastructure that will only worsen with time and may never be restored.

Remember the days when football seemed important?

Sorry to sound overly bleak.