IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

18 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

You’re right that we don’t know the actual mortality rate.

But when it comes to risk, people (myself included!) make big mistakes. Making up some numbers, if 99% of “at risk” people die and 1% of “no risk” people die, then in a population of millions/billions you’ll still have lots of over 70s surviving and lots of under 30s dying.

I think a lot of us have assumed we’re safe and are just worrying about older loved ones. But we are not necessarily going to be personally ok, it’s just our age group that will be mostly ok.

Precisely this. The reality is that Italian hospitals have seen high numbers of people in their twenties and thirties being admitted, and NHS doctors are starting to report the same. Most people will make full recoveries - and that includes people who are older or vulnerable as well as younger, healthier people - but all are potentially at risk.  

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I have been saying for a while now how weird it is that babies seem to be fine when they don't really have an immune system. Surely that makes no sense.

Whilst it's true babies and young children don't have immunity to viruses they are still very robust and able to fight off coughs and colds, often quicker than adults.

Chickenpox is a good example of an illness which doesn't effect children as seriously as it effects adults, hence why parents often allow it to spread between their kids so they can build-up immunity to it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Don't know if this has been posted before, but this is a lady from Spain explaining what she thinks of what the UK is doing 

Blimey, we're miles away from what they're doing.

She's right, we should have done more already. Lockdown should be happening now, not next week.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Blimey, we're miles away from what they're doing.

She's right, we should have done more already. Lockdown should be happening now, not next week.

I think some of the current rules are fine, it's idiots flouting them that's the problem- Barbeque in West Midlands a prime example.

Construction sites should be shut too, problem is that there is a theory that society is 9 meals from anarchy- if sufficient numbers of people can no longer eat then there are significant problems for society, law and order etc- well that downplays it, it's a very tough balancing act. All nonessential work and travel should've ceased by now but until the Governmental support measures feed through it's a problem...

Freelance, another one in my list earlier where there is ambiguity from the Government...we could all cease travel and non essential work but if and only if the Government rolled out the right measures and quickly.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

At what point are we at least going to try to resume normal life, this can't go on indefinitely, at the moment everyone (well most) are sticking to the rules and are very understanding but there will come a time I think when a decision will have to be made about resuming daily life, a vaccine is months away how many would be happy to still be in this situation then.

13 minutes ago, pillred said:

At what point are we at least going to try to resume normal life, this can't go on indefinitely, at the moment everyone (well most) are sticking to the rules and are very understanding but there will come a time I think when a decision will have to be made about resuming daily life, a vaccine is months away how many would be happy to still be in this situation then.

12 weeks to turn the tide Boris said. Think was last week?

So probably until mid June or so, if that's got some accuracy. Perhaps it'd be reviewed then or periodically.

9 minutes ago, pillred said:

The longer people adhere to the lock down, the sooner it will get back to "normal".

Simples.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Who would have thought Wetherspoon would take this sort of action? Were there any signs?

That said, in the interests of balance, if someone finds it to be a hoax, please put up a link.

If true, just makes my stance about never going into a Spoons again feel even better.  What a cockwombling, wankpuffining c£€t.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

29 minutes ago, pillred said:

A leading expert in Vaccination stated recently that the earliest we are likely to be vaccinating the general public will be the end of the Summer....2021.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm not knocking the Government here but these packages still have some gaping holes and lack clarity in places. 

3) Employees who were laid off by proactive/desperate companies before the 80% rule was announced.

I think that has been clarified.  The company would need to re-employ them for them to be covered by the 80% rule.

• Thanks 1

I should also add, gut feeling tells me that while people will do this for the NHS in particular and for some time, that if there isn't a sense that we're truly all in it together, people's patience with it will not be limitless and may fray sooner rather than later. Maybe it's not the case here though.

3 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

He is Harry, changed his username though.

Ah yes. 
I’ve just messaged him to say top work. And I now know he’s still active on here in another guise. 
He said “takes me back to us being in school writing songs about our classmates”. 
He’s a proper good lad. 

1 hour ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Who would have thought Wetherspoon would take this sort of action? Were there any signs?

That said, in the interests of balance, if someone finds it to be a hoax, please put up a link.

If true it needs to get on every news channel, and all of those suppliers need to somehow stick together and refuse to do business with him in the future (big if, if that is possible though). The trouble with dealing with big business like Wetherspoons. 

Tesco done the same to an old supplier of ours, "take this price or get nothing". They really don't care about killing other businesses.

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Ah yes. 
I’ve just messaged him to say top work. And I now know he’s still active on here in another guise. 
He said “takes me back to us being in school writing songs about our classmates”. 
He’s a proper good lad. 

He is mate, don't ever play him at darts though, he's a bit tasty! 

1 hour ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I honestly am starting to wonder if Tim Martin and Mike Ashley have made a drunken bet about which one of them can win the title of Britain's Most Obnoxious ***...

Your move, Mr Ashley.

44 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

12 weeks to turn the tide Boris said. Think was last week?

So probably until mid June or so, if that's got some accuracy. Perhaps it'd be reviewed then or periodically.

He said that on the same day my employer said I couldn't go to any sites for 12 weeks and i had to 'work from home'. Take it from me, it's June 16th and I'm climbing the walls already. 

Has to be done though and personally, i think it will get a lot worse before it gets better, i.e total lockdown. 

21 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

A leading expert in Vaccination stated recently that the earliest we are likely to be vaccinating the general public will be the end of the Summer....2021.

Well if that's the case some difficult questions are going to have to be asked because there is no way normal life can be put on hold that long, what the solution is I have no idea but one will have to be found that may include some kind of compromise such as once you have had it you get an exemption certificate from a doctor from all the restrictions currently in place or something like that.

7 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

The only thing that would rescue English football would be if the Chinese league really took off and became the de facto best in the world league that the EPL is at present.

Then all the top players would head there for the money and the

.....live animal food markets. 

Yes, I can see our top players just itching to further their careers in places like China....no, it's not going to happen, when you think about.

Although, if we did start paying more realistic money, and our "top players" did choose to clear off, to China, I can live happily without that and will drive them all to Heathrow myself.

Who gives a shit about that or them anymore?

8 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

He said that on the same day my employer said I couldn't go to any sites for 12 weeks and i had to 'work from home'. Take it from me, it's June 16th and I'm climbing the walls already. 

Has to be done though and personally, i think it will get a lot worse before it gets better, i.e total lockdown. 

If the Government help fill the void in the interim it will pass without issues. If not...IMO of course.

Could you define total lockdown?

6 minutes ago, pillred said:

Well if that's the case some difficult questions are going to have to be asked because there is no way normal life can be put on hold that long, what the solution is I have no idea but one will have to be found that may include some kind of compromise such as once you have had it you get an exemption certificate from a doctor from all the restrictions currently in place or something like that.

I think the point of the self test kits they’re due to roll out in the millions are to find who has developed antibodies towards the virus (suggesting they’ve been infected at some point without previous confirmation). I guess if you’re one of the lucky ones who’ve come through it unscathed and with a degree of immunity you can indeed continue some kind of ‘normal’ life.

Whether that means pubs and bars etc can reopen? I don’t know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, pillred said:

Only issue with that is we still don't know for certain if people who have had it before are definitely immune. There is a small amount of evidence in China that a small proportion of people may test positive again*. In most cases, this is thought to be asymptomatic but may mean people who have had it can still transmit. That would massively complicate things.

*It is also possible that this can be explained by errors in testing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Only issue with that is we still don't know for certain if people who have had it before are definitely immune. There is a small amount of evidence in China that a small proportion of people may test positive again*. In most cases, this is thought to be asymptomatic but may mean people who have had it can still transmit. That would massively complicate things.

*It is also possible that this can be explained by errors in testing. 

From what I have read it was a tiny proportion and even that was open to doubt. I don't think the small chance of that would stop everyday life resuming for those that could prove they were over it.

Edited by pillred
Add comment

12 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

*It is also possible that this can be explained by errors in testing

The tests themselves are, by all accounts, only around 60-70% accurate meaning that there is the possibility of false negatives. From what I’ve seen it appears the  general consensus is that you are indeed immune once you have fought off the disease.

However, the virus itself can remain present in the body for quite a while after symptoms have gone. Therefore you can test positive, positive, positive negative, negative, positive for example. Someone with a better understanding than I can confirm if this is common with all viruses (I remember Ebola patients having to be very careful to practice safe sex long after recovery).

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan