IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

17 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Bloody eck, the world's gone mad, all over a virus.  Thought humans were made of sterner stuff!

The mortality and illness rate doesn't even seem that bad - what is causing such panic and unrest?

What will it exactly take for you to take it seriously? Bizarre attitude to have.

Edited by Super
  • Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

17 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Bloody eck, the world's gone mad, all over a virus.  Thought humans were made of sterner stuff!

The mortality and illness rate doesn't even seem that bad - what is causing such panic and unrest?

I've got some nice rocks in my garden you're welcome to stay under 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

I'm currently self isolating on the advice of my GP. Despite the fact im quite young and pretty fit I do feel like death, and I'd rather not give anything to someone who would seriously suffer with it.

I was told I'm not going to be screened because (despite showing all symptoms) I haven't been abroad at all, which puts paid to any idea I had of remaining NHS sensibility. There's 2 other people in buildings within 200yds of me also under isolation so I'm shit scared.

Take it easy mate all the best to you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I said no point is self isolating days after the contact. Of course isolate after the contact, but what I meant was that if you know you've had contact, you need to begin your isolation straight away, not wait til the middle of next week!

I'm just hoping we'll know about our game at Forest sooner rather than later. The Forest players, if they need to self isolate, will need to do so soon, so we should know today hopefully. 

May not mean anything as such but I note that Olympiakos players and staff have tested negative for it- possibly Nottingham Forest players the same, but only time will tell.

That's a reason for cautious optimism but timeframes etc could be different.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

24 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

May not mean anything as such but I note that Olympiakos players and staff have tested negative for it- possibly Nottingham Forest players the same, but only time will tell.

That's a reason for cautious optimism but timeframes etc could be different.

According to a tweet, copied onto the Forest fans forum (which Id accept is hardly the most reliable source!!) the Forest players have  been tested and results expected today.

As I say, not reliable, but would make sense.

Edited by italian dave
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

I’ve been ill the last two days. Typical flu symptoms not COV19 symptoms.  I’m not getting pressure from my family to go to get tested. Surely if everyone who feels poorly goes to get tested that would not help the NHS strain?  I’m saying no I will just stay in bed for 48 hours until I feel better. Am I wrong?!

Good question. Im in a similar situation. You're irresponsible if you don't go, and irresponsible if you do. Damned if you do.......etc

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Words can’t express how much I don’t believe that the health minister has coronavirus. 

If she 'has it' doesn't that mean Boris has to self isolate? Convenient for him so he can bury his head in sand for a while

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

I guess the 4,378 people who have so far died just weren’t made of stern enough stuff.

13 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

I'm currently self isolating on the advice of my GP. Despite the fact im quite young and pretty fit I do feel like death, and I'd rather not give anything to someone who would seriously suffer with it.

I was told I'm not going to be screened because (despite showing all symptoms) I haven't been abroad at all, which puts paid to any idea I had of remaining NHS sensibility. There's 2 other people in buildings within 200yds of me also under isolation so I'm shit scared.

Get well soon!

You do wonder if the fact you aren't being tested is to avoid the big-numbers being announced too soon.

The more tests they conduct, the more confirmed cases there will be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I guess the 4,378 people who have so far died just weren’t made of stern enough stuff.

Less than a Rovers home gate. Globally.

The vast majority of whom are over 80 so would die within the next decade or so anyway. 

If we didn't have the communication technology we have now this would simply be a nasty flu season and there'd be a few mutterings of "some nasty bug going around".

Nature presents a helping hand to an overpopulated and artificially aged world and we refuse it and allow it to drive an emotionally charged panic. Madness.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

The vast majority of whom are over 80 so would die within the next decade or so anyway. 

If we didn't have the communication technology we have now this would simply be a nasty flu season and there'd be a few mutterings of "some nasty bug going around".

Nature presents a helping hand to an overpopulated and artificially aged world and we refuse it and allow it to drive an emotionally charged panic. Madness.

I am 65 and have failing health. Despite this, I agree 100% with your post.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Hope you feel better soon ZE. Make sure you keep drinking plenty of fluids.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

As one of (no doubt) many on here who have a parent in their 80s I take exception to your cavalier attitude to their demise. Why not just advocate euphanasia and be done with it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 22A said:

I am 65 and have failing health. Despite this, I agree 100% with your post.

And I feel for you, but I trust you've enjoyed life on the whole and, when you do go you go with fond memories. That day will undoubtedly be sad for all who are close to you but it will come, as will my day, and as will everyone else's. My parents are in your age bracket and I have just spent the weekend with them. Naturally we discussed the current news. They both said they have had a wonderful life, are delighted to still be living it, but should the day that they die come soon they will depart this world in happiness and look forward to their next adventure. I told them I love them and we got on with the weekend with a pint in the pub. That is it. 

I'll miss them dearly when they do die but I'll remember them fondly and that's the sum of it.

It sounds hard but in my mind it's an approach that is pragmatic, realistic and actually in many ways optimistic.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

“While the viruses that cause both COVID-19 and seasonal influenza are transmitted from person-to-person and may cause similar symptoms, the two viruses are very different and do not behave in the same way. ECDC estimates that between 15 000 and 75 000 people die prematurely due to causes associated with seasonal influenza each year in the EU, the UK, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein. This is approximately 1 in every 1 000 people who are infected. By comparison, the current estimated mortality rate for COVID-19 is 20-30 per 1 000 people.”

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/novel-coronavirus-china/questions-answers

How much longer before the “it’s just flu” brigade finally grasp the potential threat of an infection with a far higher fatality rate and no vaccine?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

As one of (no doubt) many on here who have a parent in their 80s I take exception to your cavalier attitude to their demise. Why not just advocate euphanasia and be done with it. 

I utterly do advocate euthanasia. I really hope it is an option for me when I reach that age.

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

According to a tweet, copied onto the Forest fans forum (which Id accept is hardly the most reliable source!!) the Forest players have  been tested and results expected today.

As I say, not reliable, but would make sense.

Results back negative

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Tbh saw something in the news about if people have a cold they need to self-isolate for a week.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/09/matt-hancock-under-fire-from-mps-over-uk-coronavirus-response

They have said that will be the next stage - probably from ten days or so onwards...

• Admin
5 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The bit about having to be within 6ft of someone for 15 minutes to catch it. Complete nonsense I'm afraid. 

You could be in close proximity to someone for a very short space of time and catch it, for example if they coughed or sneezed near you. 

You could also catch it by being in an empty room all on your own, hours after the last person had been in there. This is because the virus stays on surfaces. You touch that infected surface and touch your face and you could catch the virus.

It works no differently from the flu or norovirus, for example, so I'm a little miffed as to why people still don't understand how viruses transmit.

Working in the health industry our business has gone nuts today

Awaiting direction from Ministerial level on a number of things now before cascading to the business

image.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Roma's game in Sevilla in doubt as plane not authorised to leave Italy:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51831256

Anyone else think it would be a good idea to cancel Euro 2020 until next year, as I can see this season dragging on way into June and beyond at this rate

Think that's what has been discussed. Makes sense.

15 minutes ago, Super said:

Think that's what has been discussed. Makes sense.

Only discussed insofar as news outlets reported that several nations had asked for it to be postponed, only for UEFA to come out and say that they've not received a single request to do so!  No talk of it being considered at the moment.... though it would make sense to have the idea simmering. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Marlborough Red said:

Some simple Maths lead me to the conclusion that the effect on the health of the UK from Coronavirus will not be anything like as bad as the media suggest.

We can probably all agree that China, where it originated , has been hit the hardest with 80,761 people having contracted the Virus and  3,136 deaths, The virus now seems to be under control in China with only 26 new cases yesterday in a population of 1 billion,400 million people.

• The % of the Chinese population who  tested positive for Coronavirus is only 0.006 %. This in the worst affected country. 
  • Lets assume  worst case , 1 % of UK  testing positive,. Almost 200 times higher infection rate than  China
  • 1% of the UK 67 million population represents 670,000 people who would get the Virus (currently 321)
  • Assuming current death rate in UK of 1.87%  dying from the virus 
  • Therefore expected deaths in UK from the Coronavirus could be around  12,529. (currently 5)
  • Highly unlikely we would get 4 times as many deaths as China in  a UK  population a fraction of the size
  • Using the Chinese Data ,  the number of UK infections drops to 4,020 and deaths drop to less than 100 !
  • Bear in mind that 616,014 people die every year in the UK,
  • 11,848 UK  deaths every week so you can perhaps see why I believe we are significantly  exaggerating the impact of Coronavirus on the UK . 

The economic damage caused by the panic is in my opinion far more dangerous in the long term to our economy and national prosperity 

If you think our government have any intention of controlling the virus like the Chinese then I believe you are mistaken. 

There will be no curfew, no wholesale impact on movement.