IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

To update on the frontloading/advance of payments, @ChubStixx

According to The Athletic- I'm not a subscriber but a friend told me- 50% of next seasons solidarity payment.

So we'd benefit toi the tune of £2-2.5m therefore- plus the £10m that the PL pay to the EFL under EPPP, so whatever % of that we'd get- unsure if that's halved too.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Just accept that we won’t complete this season until either late summer or the autumn at earliest. And even then it may be played behind closed doors.

Whatever happens, I predict that there will be no League Cup or EFL trophy next season as the priority will be to get through the league fixtures. And even then the 20/21 season may only be half the length of a normal season, so that we only play each team once.

Can we play all our games away then?  We'll run away with the league.

My personal thoughts are that football will run to a completion

All remaining games will be played behind closed doors

The EFL games will be played Sunday/Wednesday/Sunday with ALL games games being broadcast live.

With three games at midday three games at 2pm three games at 4pm and two games at 6pm on sundays,

with the full use of the red button to cover all the games on Sundays

Premier league will  transmit all game live Saturday/Tuesday/Saturday spread over the day on Saturdays.

Sky sports will not be allowed show the match's in locations where a large amount of football fans congregate.

Although the match's could be broadcast over seas in bars and clubs

although I am not sure how the it would be implemented depending on which countries the games are being shown

Live games will only be allowed to be shown in your own homes.only

Teams who have nothing to play for, towards the end of the season will not need to fulfil fixtures,

this includes the Premier league and the EFL leagues.

Although I don't know if you get extra money the further up the league/s you finish.

My suggestions are  that the 3rd and 4th divisions of the EFL to be regionalised for one season only in 2020/2021

to reduce travel costs and get more fans to attend away games in the 3rd and 4th tier

Premier league and EFL games to be allowed to broadcast BBC local radio match day commentaries over the Internet.

Local cricket local rugby and the FA Cup match's are is allowed to be broadcast over the internet.

Local EFL games are allowed to be broadcst on freeview,depending on your location

National league(thats Yeovil) are allowed to be broadcast over the internet

So why is there a blocked on EFL games broadcast over the internet?

Talksport 2 to be put on the Freeviw and the Sky platforms so fans could listen  where ever they are in U.K. (as well as Europe)

So there you have it,its my thoughts only.

• Like 2

Earlier on in the crisis they showed live Italian /French league  games behind closed doors - like watching a better class of pub football without the passion.

Fans are part of the game and playing behind closed doors should be opposed at every level, it is even handed out as a punishment.

Imagine watching Liverpool celebrate winning the league at an empty Anfield .

Football is all about fans and without them really what is the point. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Malago said:

Yes but plenty, won’t and some clubs will have more immune players than others.  You obviously can’t play those who have no immunity.  So let’s say in our squad we have 20 immune players and, pick any other championship club you like, say PNE or example,  only have 10 players with immunity.  How are you going to organise a competitive league on that basis?

I meant as in the time you quoted to vaccine everyone, you wouldn't need 3 months as many wouldn't need it.

If a club only has 10 immune players then obviously the game wouldn't be played - the season wouldn't even be restarted without proper testing of every player (both types of test).

4 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Earlier on in the crisis they showed live Italian /French league  games behind closed doors - like watching a better class of pub football without the passion.

Fans are part of the game and playing behind closed doors should be opposed at every level, it is even handed out as a punishment.

Imagine watching Liverpool celebrate winning the league at an empty Anfield .

Football is all about fans and without them really what is the point. 

Exactly this!

Just wait. If it takes 3 months, 6 months, 12 months... doesn’t really matter. Just finish this season whenever it’s safe to do so and then start the next season a month after the current one has been concluded. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Malago said:

The govt aren't going to allow football to restart until they’re certain that the risk of transmission of the virus has been reduced to a very low level.  That effectively means a vaccine being available which according to the experts is 12 months away.  Then you have think about mass production of the vaccine and inoculating the entire population which is going to take, I don’t know, say 3 months minimum.

Even If you go down the route of playing behind closed doors you have to ensure the safety of the players, officials etc which you can’t do without an effective vaccine.

I don’t think that’s accurate at all. 
Herd immunity is likely to kick in well before any reliable vaccine is discovered, tested and passed. 

Things will be back to normal well before next August. 
3-6 months I should think. Even if it means letting the vulnerable contract it, for the good of the majority. Sounds brutal, but I think it may get to something like that, rather than have the current restrictions on life for 12+ months.  

What annoys me is how everything is driven by money. Football isn’t important, it’s just a game, yet somehow we’ve let money and greed consume it. The truth is it really wouldn’t matter if we just stopped this season and started again in August/September.

It really doesn’t matter. 

When you pose arguments for why we should finish it, the truth is they always boil down to money.

Sad and depressing .

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

No, I'd say finish this season whenever the new term is fit to start, even if that is months down the line.  Of course the squads will be different, managers may have changed, but the teams should still finish this league campaign. 

Hard to really care though isn't it, football is completely irrelevant.  I wouldn't be surprised if the game doesn't start again for at least a year, and a lot of teams may not exist come that time.

This topic has produced various reactions not just amongst us, but may "Expert analysis" pundits.

One stated on Sky Sports that if the season was abandoned with final placings being each club's current position, the league & FA would be inundated with lawsuits for "Loss of potential earnings" etc.

My opinion (and it's no better or worse than anyone else's)  is

1; as the league is currently suspended, wit until the end of April. If no resumption possible by then, either write off the season, or the current standings are regarded as the final positions.

2; Resume the season when possible and delay 2020/21. To resume normality,, that season may have to be shortened, so (and only for that season), scrap the League Cup and Checkatrade Trophy.

3; with this long lay off, players are currently resting. They are (theoretically) keeping themselves fit at home, so it's only match sharpness that's diminishing. Therefore we won't need such a long break between this & next season.

13 hours ago, Robin Wood said:

This season will just not matter (unless your in a position where you go up or down) I really think it should be cancelled and as soon as the PL  EFL do it the better. Now the club's are offering money to any cause going makes you realise this season should be erased 

You never know what a couple of months will be. I agree some what probably cancel this season. However lets keep hoping as we will be stronger when all the recent events are over. If its not Prem football this year then it will be in 2021. Lets ride this out, look after your love ones, stay safe and  then lets look forward to the football.

Strange, I couldn’t care less  if it’s finished or not. 

I think a football season is all about momentum, hopefully leading to the excitement of promotion or play-offs.

Even if you’re in a relegation fight, the ups and downs leading to staying up are exciting. 

This season has, for me anyway, lost all momentum. 

It’s like it’s never happened. 

Edited by winterbournered
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

Reckon we will see the resumption of this season in July.....finishing in August with 20/21 season starting in October 

That all depends on the governments social distancing policies and whether we get a 2nd wave of the virus mid June.

wimbledon has been cancelled, that’s late June, early July...

6 minutes ago, Bobby Bollax said:

That all depends on the governments social distancing policies and whether we get a 2nd wave of the virus mid June.

wimbledon has been cancelled, that’s late June, early July...

And, you have to say, that of all the sports that have been cancelled, tennis is probably the one that lends itself to being played behind closed doors the most.

2 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I suppose a lot of it is about, accommodation, catering, staffing and the like - they have to act early to avoid breaching any contracts.

Indeed.

logistics a problem with players travelling from other countries. To begin with the government said it was okay to play golf. 2 weekends ago golf courses were packed. Carparks full and people gathered on the 1st Tee. Personally I don’t see any sport resuming until September 

1 hour ago, 22A said:

This topic has produced various reactions not just amongst us, but may "Expert analysis" pundits.

One stated on Sky Sports that if the season was abandoned with final placings being each club's current position, the league & FA would be inundated with lawsuits for "Loss of potential earnings" etc.

My opinion (and it's no better or worse than anyone else's)  is

1; as the league is currently suspended, wit until the end of April. If no resumption possible by then, either write off the season, or the current standings are regarded as the final positions.

2; Resume the season when possible and delay 2020/21. To resume normality,, that season may have to be shortened, so (and only for that season), scrap the League Cup and Checkatrade Trophy.

3; with this long lay off, players are currently resting. They are (theoretically) keeping themselves fit at home, so it's only match sharpness that's diminishing. Therefore we won't need such a long break between this & next season.

It's a bit of legal and commercial mess. The current standing cannot be taken as final positions because, in the Premier League at least, teams have played a different number of games. If Villa win their game in hand, they'd move out of the relegation zone. Teams have some fixtures remaining which may be considered 'easier' and have played the top four twice already. It would be very inequitable if let the current standing stick. 

The second option is more realistic but player contracts and commercial deals make it more complicated as a lot of the deals will expire at the end of June. Scrapping the cup competitions will be sensible in my view as we'll probably start next season later than planned in any case. 

I think we'll end up in a position where this season is written off and team records are erased from the history books.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, Big C said:

I think we should finish this season even if it means we need to cancel next season

I agree. There's absolutely no reason for not concluding the season provided it becomes safe to do so - even if this is behind closed doors. Worry about the format and timing of the next season when this one is over. Of course it may be a very long time before anything approaching normality resumes & we can watch football again at the Gate.

• Like 2

I'm sure all manc U fans/plastics would love the prem season to be null and void. To rob their hated Liverpool rivals from rightly winning the title and to mask their own pathetic failings. I wonder how many of those that also are in favour of the season being scrapped, in either , of the divisions, do so because their team have had a crap season ? Bolton, Gas, or any team in danger of being relegated . As for football being just a game ?  It has'nt been for decades. Its a business and like every other business it revolves around money.