IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

• Admin
1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

really hope it can be played behind closed doors and televised. People will start needing things to focus on soon, especially if we hit a bad weather patch 

Well what we know from the announcement this morning

Nothing is going to start moving before mid May

It will take some time to work the fixtures out, before getting them in motion

So as it stands now it is safe to assume we won't see any fixtures before June, then add 56 days to that

Already mentioned that games could be played behind closed doors, also safe to assume until the UK is completely free to move about crowds won't be allowed back in.

As for Wembley being used etc, it is irrelevant if it is in London, it will be about the numbers of people congregating in one place not the location of the ground. Wembley is quiet a way out of London, unlike Cardiff which is in a City centre.

It is quiet clear how things will progress, just a question of when the wheels can start moving 

• Admin
2 hours ago, The Journalist said:

It's intended the play-off semi-finals will still be two-legged and played over the same timeframe as normal.

It is really worth stressing, though, that 56 days is absolutely plenty of time and not a huge deal. We've already had one particular period this season when we crammed 12 matches into 49 days. I'm sure there are more extreme runs than that, too.

Don't let facts get in the way from people misusing this information for false headlines :sub:

• Like 1

It's intended the play-off semi-finals will still be two-legged and played over the same timeframe as normal.

It is really worth stressing, though, that 56 days is absolutely plenty of time and not a huge deal. We've already had one particular period this season when we crammed 12 matches into 49 days. I'm sure there are more extreme runs than that, too.

Yeah, it's not even as taxing as having to play Saturday-Tuesday every week. Easily doable.

I think the 56 days includes  2 weeks preseason training in that figure, so players are ready to play 5 weeks in a row.

3 hours ago, Taz said:

We have 9 games left to play. So if you play; 

Saturday 

Wednesday 

Saturday 

Wednesday 

Saturday 

Wednesday 

Saturday 

Wednesday

Saturday

That's 4 weeks.

Scrap the two legged playoff games, just play once at a neutral stadium, 2 games on the same day kicking off at the same time, that could be the following Wednesday. Playoff final is then played at another neutral ground a week later. Season done just over 5 weeks.

Hold all playoff games at grounds central to where both teams are playing, have all playoff games played at the same time (Champ/L1/L2), because let's be fair, you're not going to want to play at Wembley when its empty, so doesn't matter where you play, so long as it's not a turnip field (sorry saggies).

Alternatively just play the games out on Fifa.

This is before Sky and BT get involved! 

• Like 2

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/04/09/efl-plan-withhold-56million-solidarity-payments-clubs-face-financial/

THIS would be a good way to press the issue on wage cut/deferral debate. Good thinking on one level- it's brinkmanship on another!

It's a way of helping to protect clubs IMO.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 hours ago, phantom said:

The players will all be checked and only those clear will be selected

Bloody disgrace if footballers are being checked ahead of  key workers. Seems money talks if this were to happen before every key worker had been tested

Edited by TRL
Update
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Admin

TAKEN FROM THE FOOTBALL SUPPORTERS FEDERATION:

The FSA exists to represent the interests of football supporters across England and Wales, and we’ll continue to do that during the coronavirus pandemic despite the lack of football.

While the prime focus for everyone is public health it is understandable that supporters have other questions. 

Everyone is working in extremely difficult circumstances and we can’t pretend that we have all the answers but we are in discussions with the authorities and will raise appropriate matters.

What public health advice does football have for fans?

The FSA teamed up with the Premier League, EFL, and FA to deliver a clear message to supporters – stay at home, protect the NHS, save lives.

It is also important to note that any official communications will come from the Government and football authorities themselves. Don’t get sucked in by fake news – if you’re not sure something is true check out the official guidance from the NHS or other authorities.

The Government provides regular updates via: www.gov.uk

Ticketing

There is no consistent approach across football and clubs are taking different approaches. Many clubs are extending or postponing “early bird” season ticket renewal deadlines and introducing new policies to reflect the current situation. Some clubs have chosen to process payments.

Individual match-tickets are different and will be determined by the competition in which your club competes. If your club plays in a competition which has been cancelled then it is reasonable to expect a refund. Contact the club in the first instance and let us know if you have any problems securing a refund.

Many leagues and competitions have been suspended or postponed, so a refund may not be offered yet. If you are concerned that you cannot make a rearranged fixture (e.g. a fan travelling from further afield, or in an at-risk health group) then you might still wish to contact the club in question as they may refund as a gesture of goodwill, although that cannot be guaranteed.

Still unsure? We would encourage you to look on your club’s website for clarification and if you’re still unsure contact your club’s Supporter Liaison Officer or local supporters’ group (and join them!).

Travel

All train operating companies are now offering refunds on pre-booked travel. The relevant provider should have information on their websites. If you have booked through Trainline follow this link and complete the steps to secure your amended booking or refund (Trainline have now removed their usual fee).

Many supporters travel to game by coach often on official club travel or supporters’ group coaches and refunds should be available. Most public coach services have now been suspended with the major companies such as National Express and Megabus offering refunds.

Supporters travel from across the planet to watch football in this country, so it’s best to check with your provider. A significant proportion of those travel from Ireland – see the Ryanair and Aer Lingus refund pages.

Advice for community-owned clubs

Many FSA-affiliated supporters’ trusts part or fully-own their club. With that in mind we pulled together information which will be of particular interest to our community-owned clubs (and non-league clubs in general).

Business operations and legal guidance: The government has announced a range of measures to support small and medium businesses and we have collated the relevant updated information including self-employment, season planning for 2020/21 and the further details of the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme relating to part-time workers, National Insurance and pension contributions. Download the information here….

Our second briefing paper has been drafted by our legal partners Gateley – it covers a range of questions clubs may have over the coming weeks and months, including commercial and contractual matters, and HR advice. 

There’s a whole range of useful advice online too which may be helpful from the likes of Co-operatives UK and Unite. If you’ve found any other resources to be especially good let us know.

We hope that clubs are in a fortunate enough position to have sufficient resource and advice available to them through existing channels to weather the coming weeks and months, but if not please get in touch with the FSA and we’d be happy to help in offering support and advice.

FSA AGM

This year’s FSA AGM (Saturday 18th July 2020) has been postponed due to the ongoing public health crisis. While we all hope that some level of normality will have returned by the summer, we felt it important to make the decision now in order to give members the most possible notice.

We do not yet have a new date for the AGM but will update our members as soon as there is information to share. Once a date is confirmed the venue, timings and registration details will be published on the FSA website and shared with members. The AGM provides members with an opportunity to propose motions for new policy and campaign areas.

What has football done to help?

We have been blown away by the amazing work done by our supporters’ groups during this period. It’s impossible to cover them all in a few sentences but we would urge you to read our more detailed feature Football comes together in the face of COVID-19. That story generated a second wave of reports from across the country and we’ll publish those soon.

I’d like to volunteer to help

Many of our supporters’ groups are still managing to carry out voluntary activities to help their local communities while staying within public health guidelines. Find the list of FSA affiliates and associates in your area here. The NHS also called on supporters to volunteer where possible.

European perspective

In the same way that club-specific supporters’ groups affiliate or associate to the FSA, the FSA affiliates to Football Supporters Europe (FSE), along with national fan groups from across the continent. FSE represents our views to UEFA and other European institutions. You can see the latest news via the FSE website.

When will the season resume?

Unfortunately we don’t have the answer to that. Elite football in the men’s and women’s game is, at the time of writing, suspended until 30th April at the earliest.

Steps three to six of non-league (divisions up to and including the Northern Premier, Southern and Isthmian Leagues, comprising almost 900 clubs) have announced that their seasons are to end immediately.

The FA Leagues Committee will meet to decide whether to award promotion/relegation based on points-per-game or whether to declare the seasons null and void.

In the women’s game tiers three to seven were brought to an end and all results expunged. The FA are still working to find the “most appropriate way” to end the season for Super League and Championship clubs.

What is the FSA doing?

Like everyone else during the lockdown, our activity is significantly curtailed, but we’re still working to keep supporters informed and help our community-owned clubs. We continue to liaise with the football authorities such as the FA, EFL and Premier League, in order to advise fans and influence decision-making.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

All games on Sky/red button would be my guess with free RobinsTV for home games for ST holders who don`t have Sky or would rather watch it on there. There won`t be any games shown in pubs and the like. They`ve already lifted the 3pm Saturday restriction on showing games as I`m sure they guessed this was on the cards

Games won’t be on the red button - I suspect will have to be brought through Robins TV as a revenue source for clubs 

• Like 1

• Admin
3 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

All games on Sky/red button would be my guess with free RobinsTV for home games for ST holders who don`t have Sky or would rather watch it on there. There won`t be any games shown in pubs and the like. They`ve already lifted the 3pm Saturday restriction on showing games as I`m sure they guessed this was on the cards.

38 minutes ago, daored said:

Games won’t be on the red button - I suspect will have to be brought through Robins TV as a revenue source for clubs 

@Lanterne Rouge is correct @daored This was covered a couple of weeks back

Basically if you have the  clubsTV subscription you get coverage

If you have a ticket for the game you get coverage

TV companies will be allowed to show games at 3pm on a Saturday

Pubs / clubs etc won't be licenced to show games

As it is looking like the first rounds of games will be behind closed doors this will certainly be the solution

Of course there will also be those who choose not to go to the games as there could still be that small % risk involved

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Taz said:

We have 9 games left to play. So if you play; 

Saturday 

Wednesday 

Saturday 

Wednesday 

Saturday 

Wednesday 

Saturday 

Wednesday

Saturday

That's 4 weeks.

Scrap the two legged playoff games, just play once at a neutral stadium, 2 games on the same day kicking off at the same time, that could be the following Wednesday. Playoff final is then played at another neutral ground a week later. Season done just over 5 weeks.

Hold all playoff games at grounds central to where both teams are playing, have all playoff games played at the same time (Champ/L1/L2), because let's be fair, you're not going to want to play at Wembley when its empty, so doesn't matter where you play, so long as it's not a turnip field (sorry saggies).

Alternatively just play the games out on Fifa.

Or five a side tournament over a weekend.

Saw on Sky Sports a sports Lawyer saying no matter what FIFA/FA say players are free to move on the 30th June. There is nothing in employment law that stops them, he hoped players would stay and see out season. If financial package was different at new club he recommended players moving, this could be interesting if season is still going.

• Thanks 1

Id advocate no hiring of players until the start of next season for any who want to play silly buggers.

They're very well remunerated, it's a global pandemic- bollocks to them. Month or two out of work, or month or so longer stuck at a club. Know which one 

They seem to want it all ways and I'd rather like clubs to fight back in due course.

Hopefully FIFA will rejig the transfer window accordingly for this, to help mitigate against this risk.

Granted though, it'll surely have to move anyway to allow for this but I'd like to see players who won;'t comply with a small inconvenience in a global pandemic get some sort of global football ban for a bit.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

28 minutes ago, semblar said:

Free to leave, yes I can see that. But if the league rules preventregistration at another club at the time, then freedom to move will be limited I would think

Nothing in English employment law allegedly that can stop a player moving on 1st July. League rules or not they can move for contract has been signed already.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Id advocate no hiring of players until the start of next season for any who want to play silly buggers.

They're very well remunerated, it's a global pandemic- bollocks to them. Month or two out of work, or month or so longer stuck at a club. Know which one 

They seem to want it all ways and I'd rather like clubs to fight back in due course.

Hopefully FIFA will rejig the transfer window accordingly for this, to help mitigate against this risk.

Granted though, it'll surely have to move anyway to allow for this but I'd like to see players who won;'t comply with a small inconvenience in a global pandemic get some sort of global football ban for a bit.

I don’t agree with it, just saying according to the lawyer there is nothing a club can do to stop a player moving. A contract is a contract, clubs can’t have it both ways. 

• Admin
34 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

I don’t agree with it, just saying according to the lawyer there is nothing a club can do to stop a player moving. A contract is a contract, clubs can’t have it both ways. 

Problem is there's always someone out there trying to get their name in a headline somehow for suggesting something that whilst in theory possible but in reality never going to happen 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

You would hope any player that tried this on would become a pariah.

That said they would be bloody stupid, the finances in football could be changed for ever after this is all over. They could end up with no club and no employment as large squads become a thing of the past. Here is hoping. I think football could become better overall with a financial reset.  I just hope no clubs go to the wall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

There will be nothing to stop a player moving they signed a contract until an agreed upon date, however they won't be able to be registered to play for a new club for the rest of the season, club squad registrations are submitted at the end of transfer windows. Therefore I think we could see players signing short term extensions but also signing pre-contract agreements (like you can normally do 6 months before for a club abroad/ (I think)1 month domestically) with another club so that they can keep playing for the short period, may not go over well with fans of current club.