IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

33 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Lee Johnson spoke very well on Five Live this evening.  As usual.  When football kicks off again I think we will be ready and do well 

If this season does finish. And to be honest I couldn't give a rats arse if it does or doesn't. We could be in a good position, as over the past few seasons we have started seasons really well usually picking up many points in the first 10 games. This enforced break is like summer break then pre season... potentially we could finish the season off in good form if we follow the past 3 seasons start to a season.

Anyway enough of that. I still think this season should be voided given what's going on.

3 minutes ago, TRL said:

If this season does finish. And to be honest I couldn't give a rats arse if it does or doesn't. We could be in a good position, as over the past few seasons we have started seasons really well usually picking up many points in the first 10 games. This enforced break is like summer break then pre season... potentially we could finish the season off in good form if we follow the past 3 seasons start to a season.

Anyway enough of that. I still think this season should be voided given what's going on.

Voiding it makes no sense to me.  One day it will be okay to play football again. Just finish it then.  

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Voiding it makes no sense to me.  One day it will be okay to play football again. Just finish it then.  

For me unless games start again very quickly. And I can't see that happening given the need for matchday staff as well as players and refs.. leading to unnecessary journeys.  It needs to be voided. Otherwise you need to do weird stuff to the next season to make it all fit in.. what ever that maybe, for me it would be better to bin off one season than let it effect 2.

My caveat would be you promote or relegate teams that were mathematically promoted or relegated at the cut off point of the voided season then change the promotion relegation spots the following season to get the amount. of teams back to the right amount the following season

In reality I think that is only going to affect 1 or 2 clubs further down the footballing pyramid..

I understand you stand point. It's a shit position to be in isn't it. I don't envy the people who need to make the decision.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TRL said:

Otherwise you need to do weird stuff to the next season to make it all fit in.. what ever that maybe, for me it would be better to bin off one season than let it effect 2.

Pretty sure it already will, I can't see a pre-season for a 20/21 season starting in July even if 19/20 is scrapped. It honestly could just end up being a 19/20/21 season if we're potentially going to get a second wave as well

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

Pretty sure it already will, I can't see a pre-season for a 20/21 season starting in July even if 19/20 is scrapped. It honestly could just end up being a 19/20/21 season if we're potentially going to get a second wave as well

Might be easier starting a new season when ever that maybe with the current points totals then play through. Probably means the premier league is already won, but weirder things have happened 

On 10/04/2020 at 01:21, TRL said:

Bloody disgrace if footballers are being checked ahead of  key workers. Seems money talks if this were to happen before every key worker had been tested

I very much doubt it is either or.

6 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

3 hours ago, RedRock said:

On the day we smash the European record for daily fatalities, just  hoping someone, somewhere very soon steps up to the plate in Government.

They just seem to be floundering. 

Fed up of them pinning responsibility on the ‘experts’. 

Struth, you’re our leaders. Unless, evidence is provided to the contrary, these ‘experts’ led to the Country being massively under-prepared equipment-wise despite having 10 weeks to get PPE supply chains in place, to Government ministers advising that it’s ok to have person to person contact provided you washed your hands, delaying the shut down until after the horse has bolted and still, not adequately testing and tracing, and yes, still allowing flights to come in from Virus hot spots with no friggin checks at the airport. 

A chap I know who works in a senior position in the NHS says it’s mind boggling the number of changes made to policy daily. He’s struggling to keep up with the changes. 

Fine, listen to your ‘experts’ but critically challenge their advice FFS - that’s what you’re there for and are paid handsome to deliver. Clearly, the Government seem incapable of asking their ‘experts’ the right questions. This is what leadership is about! 

For me it’s a pretty hopeless performance to date. I’d drop my previous score down to 2/10 now . 

blockquote widget - those two words just appeared and has me scratching my head so will leave it to mull.

I was going to say one thing about your post...arhh yes ... The govt originally adopted the Oxford Medical Institute (maybe wrong name) advisory for the lockdown etc but then dropped it for Imperial College... From what I have read the preparedness plan was better suited to Oxford. They changed to Imperial because they said unless you do this, this and this you could have 250,000 deaths... I may have that number wrong; the point being I think whatever the huge figure was focused govt minds too much, they panicked and changed course. I think the estimate then and especially now was a wholely irresponsible one. 

6 hours ago, phantom said:

Problem is there's always someone out there trying to get their name in a headline somehow for suggesting something that whilst in theory possible but in reality never going to happen 

De Marco is excellent, has an excellent rep- fully technically correct but surely players would not be sufficently crass enough in these times, national and global sacrifice to exercise free transfer rights when season extended a bit, for the minor inconvenience of 2-3 months more at a club.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

• Admin
3 hours ago, TRL said:

Might be easier starting a new season when ever that maybe with the current points totals then play through. Probably means the premier league is already won, but weirder things have happened 

Hate to be pedantic but it's been stressed numerous times that this season will be finished and next season will start as and when ready 

One thing any 'summer' break will be much shorter 

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Hate to be pedantic but it's been stressed numerous times that this season will be finished and next season will start as and when ready 

One thing any 'summer' break will be much shorter 

It can be stressed as many times as they like, with no end date to the virus or a vaccine in sight it's just a soundbite. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

Interesting analysis from Andy Holt about just how bad this is for EFL clubs.

I would say any good business person in any industry would be looking at their business like this. Protect what you have first and foremost and then try to capitalise on opportunities as they present themselves. 

39 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

It can be stressed as many times as they like, with no end date to the virus or a vaccine in sight it's just a soundbite. 

Football will start again before a vaccine is created. 

11 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I would say any good business person in any industry would be looking at their business like this. Protect what you have first and foremost and then try to capitalise on opportunities as they present themselves. 

Football will start again before a vaccine is created. 

Of course it will, but the news coming out with dates attached when it will, are ridiculous. What if a 2nd wave hits ?

9 hours ago, TRL said:

Problem is a lot of people are saying this will probably come back at some stage then you are risking another unfinished season next year. Finish this one for me.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Super said:

Problem is a lot of people are saying this will probably come back at some stage then you are risking another unfinished season next year. Finish this one for me.

Yep add in to the worrying findings coming out of South Korea you would have to question how far down the line the season will restart.

One thing is for sure with no people in attendance. Player and staff coming out of furlough to play. A lot of teams will go bust without the attendances and furlough payments 

• Like 1

Some people don't seem to grasp that the football authorities need to have a plan of what they're going to do.

Of course these plans might prove to be unrealistic if there's no improvement in the national situation, but they can't just sit tight and wait for restrictions to be lifted before they start even considering how to resolve the season. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Some people don't seem to grasp that the football authorities need to have a plan of what they're going to do.

Of course these plans might prove to be unrealistic if there's no improvement in the national situation, but they can't just sit tight and wait for restrictions to be lifted before they start even considering how to resolve the season. 

Of course they need to have a plan, but should they being put a date on it when they can't possibly know where we will be in 6 weeks.  News coming out of South Korea yesterday that people who have had covid19 are catching it again.

14 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Nothing in English employment law allegedly that can stop a player moving on 1st July. League rules or not they can move for contract has been signed already.

You’re right as I’m led to believe from reading other stuff.

If we take a few scenarios relevant to City players:

Matty Taylor - contract exp. 30.06, on loan at Oxford.  Go out of contract on 01.07, but then not be able to register for anyone until 20/21 season, plus the likes of Oxford unlikely to be in a great position to offer him the deal they were expecting to pre-CV.  Might be better (if leagues rules allow) to extend loan spell short-term and see where the land lies at the end of the season, whenever that is.

Niclas Eliasson - assume City have exercised option, contract exp. next summer, player looking to leave.  Pre-CV, City would’ve been looking at a good fee (profit against what they paid), and Nic looking at doubling / tripling his wages.  Post-CV buying clubs might go with a cheeky offer, but likely to now be offering lower wages.  Might he be better sitting tight until next summer, or even sitting down and discussing a new contract protecting him from football re-setting itself financially.

There is gonna be a big gamble from players and clubs as to whether to carry on as normal or rein in their spending.  

• Like 1