IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

56 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You’re right as I’m led to believe from reading other stuff.

If we take a few scenarios relevant to City players:

Matty Taylor - contract exp. 30.06, on loan at Oxford.  Go out of contract on 01.07, but then not be able to register for anyone until 20/21 season, plus the likes of Oxford unlikely to be in a great position to offer him the deal they were expecting to pre-CV.  Might be better (if leagues rules allow) to extend loan spell short-term and see where the land lies at the end of the season, whenever that is.

Niclas Eliasson - assume City have exercised option, contract exp. next summer, player looking to leave.  Pre-CV, City would’ve been looking at a good fee (profit against what they paid), and Nic looking at doubling / tripling his wages.  Post-CV buying clubs might go with a cheeky offer, but likely to now be offering lower wages.  Might he be better sitting tight until next summer, or even sitting down and discussing a new contract protecting him from football re-setting itself financially.

There is gonna be a big gamble from players and clubs as to whether to carry on as normal or rein in their spending.  

But if MT is out of contract 30.06 why would City want to carry on paying his wages. I know players get 1 month after contract expires, but why would we want to carry on paying wages for someone who isn’t our player anymore.  

If we have budgeted without these players why should we have to pay them and effect our FFP.

It is going to be a minefield when contracts expire and getting clubs to pay when they don’t have to.

44 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

But if MT is out of contract 30.06 why would City want to carry on paying his wages. I know players get 1 month after contract expires, but why would we want to carry on paying wages for someone who isn’t our player anymore.  

If we have budgeted without these players why should we have to pay them and effect our FFP.

It is going to be a minefield when contracts expire and getting clubs to pay when they don’t have to.

All of a sudden, being out of contract is a shit place to be for a player. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

yeah, I was thinking in the scenario that season is complete by end of July (I know that may be unlikely), we would be getting some of his wages paid by Oxford whilst they push for automatic / play-offs, rather than paying him that full-month on our own.

if it goes beyond July think players and clubs will need to have a different mindset.

It is indeed.  Power shift.

• Admin
5 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Well if players are not being tested then they cannot play football. Simple as that. Lee Johnson planning for 15th May return to training and mid June return to matches.  

That is an EFL stipultion, no club to return to training before 15th May

4 hours ago, Super said:

Problem is a lot of people are saying this will probably come back at some stage then you are risking another unfinished season next year. Finish this one for me.

Is this "factually" correct though or just someone's opinion?

4 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

I know,  but what is this date based on ?

Following liaison at Government level, including working out how long before we see a flat line / decrease in deaths + new cases

Don't assume that when the season restarts it means that we will be there to see anything in the flesh

The current priority for the EFL is to get the games up and running, people being in attendance is a whole different proposition

3 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Some people don't seem to grasp that the football authorities need to have a plan of what they're going to do.

Of course these plans might prove to be unrealistic if there's no improvement in the national situation, but they can't just sit tight and wait for restrictions to be lifted before they start even considering how to resolve the season. 

Completely agree, do people not think that the EFL have been working out fixture lists etc since these problems started?

EVERYONE needs to be ready to go as soon as the green light is given

Currently teams to return from 15th May

3 weeks to train

Games to start weekend of 5/6/7 June then 56 days to complete the season

Obviously these dates are currently depending on specific criteria being met - so could still be moved

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Seems curious that they're furloughing but seemingly not taking the Government cash at this time- but richer and more established PL clubs declined to do so.

Bit of credit to them on the face of it.

Placing them on furlough allows Sheffield Utd to claim back at a later date should they have to not because they want to.

The club said that the decision affected those members of staff "who are unable to perform their regular duties".

These are predominantly casual employees but include a small number of permanent staff, the Blades said.

"The club confirms that permanent and casual staff will continue to be paid in full," a statement said.

"Sheffield United Football Club has informed its staff of the decision to furlough some employees."

Furloughed staff members "have been given the green light to sign up for the NHS volunteering scheme or similar initiatives in lieu of regular employment at Bramall Lane or other club sites," the club added.

• Thanks 1

I think we all have to come to terms that we ain't gonna see any EFL live football for a while.

So how do you think the fixtures should be sorted?

My thoughts are play Sunday/Wednesday/Sunday and let the Premier league have sat/tue/sat

The long distance match's to Middlesbrough and Blackburn nottingham forest can be played midweek

Preston can be played on the last day of the season as it was now/is.

So will the fixtures be

1) drawn fixtures out of a the hat lkie the FA Cup draw

2) hand pick some of the games to suit all the clubs

3) play the fixtues as they were/was in running order they were due to be played?

Sadly I won't be going to any away games if the "behind closed doors" is implemented.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

I think we all have to come to terms that we ain't gonna see any EFL live football for a while.

My thoughts are play Sunday/Wednesday/Sunday and let the Premier league have sat/tue/sat

The long distance match's to Middlesbrough and Blackburn nottingham forest can be played midweek

So will the fixtures be

3) play the fixtues as they were/was in running order they were due to be played?

Sadly I won't be going to any away games if the "behind closed doors" is implemented.

Play all games behind closed doors with tested players. All games streamed, free for season ticket holders. £10 per game for non STH. 

Play games as per current fixture list

And nobody will be doing to behind closed doors games...not just you NTTDS !

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

So will the fixtures be

More important things in the world than football right now. Cancel the season and we start again when safe for everyone 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

If they are played behind closed doors you still have a bit of crowding ie

players plus subs

management team, 

4 officials

medical staff

ground staff to prepare ground - pitch, stadium, changing facilities, security

probably quite a few more unthought of here. I have a feeling if the government can close pretty much every business, every gym, restaurant and pub I don’t think fulfilling what is essentially a pastime is going to be very high up their agenda.

personally I think this season will be cancelled. Also if reports from South Korea are accurate and 91 people who have had covid19 have been reinfected I don’t think the lockdown will be eased soon, and when it does it will cycle off and on as the government try to keep infections to a rate where the NHS doesn’t fail. I foresee a 4 or 5 month period of lockdown as is then a relaxation of schools and some businesses until numbers rise then lockdown again. You can’t run a league program like that.

maybe got out of wrong side of bed today, but feeling very pessimistic about the country in general and sport is and should be way down the list of priorities.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, daored said:

More important things in the world than football right now. Cancel the season and we start again when safe for everyone 

Or just finish the season when football is safe to be played again!  Why is next season more important than this season? 

2 minutes ago, gl1 said:

If they are played behind closed doors you still have a bit of crowding ie

players plus subs

management team, 

4 officials

medical staff

ground staff to prepare ground - pitch, stadium, changing facilities, security

probably quite a few more unthought of here. I have a feeling if the government can close pretty much every business, every gym, restaurant and pub I don’t think fulfilling what is essentially a pastime is going to be very high up their agenda.

personally I think this season will be cancelled. Also if reports from South Korea are accurate and 91 people who have had covid19 have been reinfected I don’t think the lockdown will be eased soon, and when it does it will cycle off and on as the government try to keep infections to a rate where the NHS doesn’t fail. I foresee a 4 or 5 month period of lockdown as is then a relaxation of schools and some businesses until numbers rise then lockdown again. You can’t run a league program like that.

maybe got out of wrong side of bed today, but feeling very pessimistic about the country in general and sport is and should be way down the list of priorities.

One very important difference.  Football will be played again when testing is readily available which means the arguments against are moot 

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

15 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Play all games behind closed doors with tested players. All games streamed, free for season ticket holders. £10 per game for non STH. 

Play games as per current fixture list

And nobody will be doing to behind closed doors games...not just you NTTDS !

Even NHS staff aren't being tested across the board as yet,,and that's an understatement..

So,,,could be quite a wait.....and current unreliability of swabs is another consideration.

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Or just finish the season when football is safe to be played again!  Why is next season more important than this season? 

One very important difference.  Football will be played again when testing is readily available which means the arguments against are moot 

When testing is ready? Apparently not til sept at the earliest and then prioritised for front line staff, medical support staff, etc etc. Don’t think league two football player and their reserves will be high on that list

2 minutes ago, gl1 said:

When testing is ready? Apparently not til sept at the earliest and then prioritised for front line staff, medical support staff, etc etc. Don’t think league two football player and their reserves will be high on that list

Who has said September? Haven’t seen that news article.  

Clearly any talk of football starting in June Is being done on the assumption that testing will be readily available. If it’s not then obviously it cannot start. 

Not seen September mentioned though so if you have that article would like to read it. Cheers 

Can't see the logic in cancelling the season with 37 games played. We need to start the new season as usual in August if we can. Completing this season is pointless now - if we went back and completed those 9 games it would effectively give us 2 'pre season' breaks in 3/4 months. This season should be declared complete and top 3 go up and bottom 4 go down. What's wrong with that? Who could complain?

End season now, and try and find a way to deal with promotion/ relegation that avoids legal challenges. Doubt that it’s realistic to rush it, hold play offs etc.

Just reading about rugby, big issue with contracts as extending beyond 30 June would represent a restraint of trade, plus some clubs will be happy to see players released on that date for financial reasons.

Has to be a huge degree of reality and pragmatism. There will also be a number of clubs in the League who may never re-start due to bankruptcy. 

4 minutes ago, Scrumpylegs said:

Can't see the logic in cancelling the season with 37 games played. We need to start the new season as usual in August if we can. Completing this season is pointless now - if we went back and completed those 9 games it would effectively give us 2 'pre season' breaks in 3/4 months. This season should be declared complete and top 3 go up and bottom 4 go down. What's wrong with that? Who could complain?

Villa have a game in hand. If they win that they are out of the bottom three. What happens then? 

Also send a team down on goal difference if they had an easier run in than someone one place above them doesn’t feel very fair at all.  

Need to work on a fair solution. The new season doesn’t have to start in August 

• Like 2

My apologies it’s testing of a vaccine by September. To be rolled out next year. If it works https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/30/health/coronavirus-vaccine-johnson-and-johnson-clinical-trial/index.html

I don’t think they will risk mass events, festivals, concerts, Theatre, football matches until the government is happy they can cope with the numbers of infections that a relaxation will bring. 

How the government is (re)acting right now I feel we won’t  see an agreement  to fulfill a recreational activity at odds with current action plan, testing or no testing. Not ITK or anything, just my thoughts

13 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

1). how would you manage the squads ? Players out of contract end of normal season - if season does not start up again until end of June or early July - whose going to pay those player wages for that period and then the 56 days its going to take to finish the season.

2). The risk to the players if finishing the season in such a timescale leads to potential problems with injuries / recoveries  

3). who protects the ground staff, the hotel workers where players will stay whilst this season is being finished? 

4). Does it encourage people to ‘meet’ up to watch a game of football - people to yo to the park to play with their mates because the professionals are allowed to 

5). why should footballers be at the front of the queue for testing to ensue in reality something as insignificant as a football season to finish 

approx 2,000 people have died in the last 48 hours in this country alone and talking about sport is really not important. Cancel it and we start again when appropriate, maybe not even this year 

End it now and whenever it's absolutely safe to get the next season going, start teams on a (this season's) points per game average, multiplied by the number of this season's matches that were unplayed (9) and rounded up to a whole number.

This would see (for example) Dirty Leeds and WBA starting next season on 19 points each.......Fulham 16, Brentford and Forest 15, Preston and City on 14.....and down at the bottom we'd have Charlton on 10, with Luton and Barnsley kicking off on 9 points each.  Starting positions would be pretty much the same as they are now, just no goal difference involved.  This would give some sort of a reward for 2019/20 achievements so far and the big test for sides would be whether they can maintain or improve performances for the next full season.  Would be hilarious if Leeds blew it, mind!  ?