IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

36 minutes ago, daored said:

More important things in the world than football right now. Cancel the season and we start again when safe for everyone 

Why not finish when it is safe? Scrapping season makes no sense.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, daored said:

3). who protects the ground staff, the hotel workers where players will stay whilst this season is being finished? 

4). Does it encourage people to ‘meet’ up to watch a game of football - people to yo to the park to play with their mates because the professionals are allowed to 

5). why should footballers be at the front of the queue for testing to ensue in reality something as insignificant as a football season to finish 

approx 2,000 people have died in the last 48 hours in this country alone and talking about sport is really not important. Cancel it and we start again when appropriate, maybe not even this year 

If you don’t want to talk about sport then don’t.  Nobody is claiming it’s of huge importance.  A lot of time on our hands now and part of that is spent talking about sport. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

End it now and whenever it's absolutely safe to get the next season going, start teams on a (this season's) points per game average, multiplied by the number of this season's matches that were unplayed (9) and rounded up to a whole number.

This would see (for example) Dirty Leeds and WBA starting next season on 19 points each.......Fulham 16, Brentford and Forest 15, Preston and City on 14.....and down at the bottom we'd have Charlton on 10, with Luton and Barnsley kicking off on 9 points each.  Starting positions would be pretty much the same as they are now, just no goal difference involved.  This would give some sort of a reward for 2019/20 achievements so far and the big test for sides would be whether they can maintain or improve performances for the next full season.  Would be hilarious if Leeds blew it, mind!  ?

If football couldnt restart until say, October or November then I would be happy with this I guess. Cancelling the season or finishing the season in current positions should definitely not happen though 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Scrumpylegs said:

Can't see the logic in cancelling the season with 37 games played. We need to start the new season as usual in August if we can. Completing this season is pointless now - if we went back and completed those 9 games it would effectively give us 2 'pre season' breaks in 3/4 months. This season should be declared complete and top 3 go up and bottom 4 go down. What's wrong with that? Who could complain?

My thought is that the only way we can start the new season in August is to cancel this season. 

By the time we have been given the all clear most players contracts will be finishing (so problem to solve), then given 4 weeks of fitness training, play the 12 games through the middle of the summer (so probably restricted to evenings), then give the players a few weeks off to sort out contracts have a holiday ect, then back for pre season. All that is about 4 months so would be a struggle if we started now.

There's no fair way of doing it - all the slow pondering football we had been playing all season might have been leading up to and energetic finish, every team has now been able to rest. Leeds for example would normally run out of steam about now but have had chance to rest. 

If we decide to postpone the start of next season then we impact that season as well which means we then have another season that's not quite right. 

9 minutes ago, Super said:

Why not finish when it is safe? Scrapping season makes no sense.

How long do you carry it over for , a month , six months , a year ?

9 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

If you don’t want to talk about sport then don’t.  Nobody is claiming it’s of huge importance.  A lot of time on our hands now and part of that is spent talking about sport. 

I’m giving reasons why the season should be cancelled - you’ve not answered any points I’ve made 

8 minutes ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

If "they" decide to finish season behind closed doors, does anybody really think fans would stay away knowing the game going on could have a massive bearing on your clubs future ?..... i can see it being a policing nightmare in some places...

I don’t see that happening at all. Only my opinion.

The biggest threat to completing this season is how to deal with contract and loan expiry “Mid season”.

The biggest threat to not completing it is Sky asking for their money back.

If EFL can plan on basis of finishing by 30th July, then clubs and players can decide whether to extend contracts / loans by one month or not....with a rule that no player can register for a new club or go back (from their loan) and play for their own club.

1 hour ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

If "they" decide to finish season behind closed doors, does anybody really think fans would stay away knowing the game going on could have a massive bearing on your clubs future ?..... i can see it being a policing nightmare in some places...

It would put a new spin on the term "I was there!" ?

1 hour ago, gl1 said:

If they are played behind closed doors you still have a bit of crowding ie

players plus subs

management team, 

4 officials

medical staff

ground staff to prepare ground - pitch, stadium, changing facilities, security

probably quite a few more unthought of here. I have a feeling if the government can close pretty much every business, every gym, restaurant and pub I don’t think fulfilling what is essentially a pastime is going to be very high up their agenda.

personally I think this season will be cancelled. Also if reports from South Korea are accurate and 91 people who have had covid19 have been reinfected I don’t think the lockdown will be eased soon, and when it does it will cycle off and on as the government try to keep infections to a rate where the NHS doesn’t fail. I foresee a 4 or 5 month period of lockdown as is then a relaxation of schools and some businesses until numbers rise then lockdown again. You can’t run a league program like that.

maybe got out of wrong side of bed today, but feeling very pessimistic about the country in general and sport is and should be way down the list of priorities.

The talk about ending the season by playing games behind closed doors in a 56 day period is just that....talk. Even a game behind closed doors can't be played without close on 100 persons in and around the stadium particularly if it's to be televised and will definitely have to include a police presence to turn away the numptys that will inevitably turn up  Unless all these people have been tested and shown clear of the virus it cannot, and must not be allowed to go ahead. I see no prospect of safely playing matches until well into the autumn at the earliest and as unpalatable as it may the season should be voided. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Text corrrection

2 hours ago, Scrumpylegs said:

Can't see the logic in cancelling the season with 37 games played. We need to start the new season as usual in August if we can. Completing this season is pointless now - if we went back and completed those 9 games it would effectively give us 2 'pre season' breaks in 3/4 months. This season should be declared complete and top 3 go up and bottom 4 go down. What's wrong with that? Who could complain?

I don’t think that’s the solution at all..!

Teams have played different opposition, so current league placings don’t show accurate assessment of results. 
Just be patient, wait and resume when it’s safe. 

1 hour ago, daored said:

How long do you carry it over for , a month , six months , a year ?

I’m giving reasons why the season should be cancelled - you’ve not answered any points I’ve made 

Yes. Delay the season for 6 months, or a year, if that’s what’s needed. Then resume it. 
Why not..?! 
How is anything else any better, if we have to wait that long anyway..?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yes. Delay the season for 6 months, or a year, if that’s what’s needed. Then resume it. 
Why not..?! 
How is anything else any better, if we have to wait that long anyway..?

If we delay the season for six months - what happens to players out of contract at the end of this season? What about players on loan ? Do they go back to their parent club to pay their wages and then back to the loan club when the season restarts ?

3 minutes ago, daored said:

If we delay the season for six months - what happens to players out of contract at the end of this season? What about players on loan ? Do they go back to their parent club to pay their wages and then back to the loan club when the season restarts ?

That’s certainly something that needs to be resolved by an FA/FIFA ruling, yes. 
Unprecedented situations need unprecedented rules to help rectify them. 
If Transfer windows are also delayed, then automatic contract extensions shouldn’t really make that much difference. 

I don't think you can say one way or the other until football is given the green light to start again, if that weren't until March next year then essentially the season could pick up where it left off and be a 19/20/21 season. If its August you could play out the remaining games of this season and manipulate next season eg no domestic or european cups (frankly won't be safe to travel across europe anyway) which would free up enough game weeks to fit a season in. Its difficult because UEFA have already set the date again for Euro 2021 so that restricts when you have to finish by. There's no guarantee a new season could be played out and you'd be in exactly the same situation again. Potential scenario of season null and voided (for the sake of argument) new season starts on time in August, a second wave hits and season postponed again, with Euros you can't finish in the summer and in that situation it may have been easier to continue a delayed 19/20 season with only 9 games to play. It all comes down to when you can restart, but thats exactly the reason why a decision shouldn't be made until this is known, plan contingencies sure, but an actual decision doesn't need to be made. 

As for when it does restart, it will be behind closed doors for a while, whether resuming this season or a new season, crowds of 20,000-30,000 aren't going to be allowed to congregate for a long time, so with games being shown on ifollow as said £10 to watch as a minimum but I feel you should be able to donate more up to a full match ticket if you can afford it and want to support your club (making sure the money does go to your club) I wouldn't mind chucking in say £15-£20 per game I watch to help support City but not everyone would be able to afford it hence £10 minimum. 

Match days will be able to take place behind closed doors as has been said it will be when deemed safe, so when there are devices to test staff/players (after plenty have been supplied for the NHS etc before anyone says anything) or even testing style like at airports etc high temp and you can't play and get put under observation. This will be when the strain on the NHS is low so there should be emergency medical staff able to attend fixtures. 

I think away teams should be able to request to the EFL to start games later in the day to allow same day travel to prevent a need to stay overnight where possible, we would fly to places like Blackburn/Boro who we've still got but league 1 and 2 probably wouldn't so allow negotiation over kick off time with EFL stepping in to set a time if it can't be agreed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Villa have a game in hand. If they win that they are out of the bottom three. What happens then? 

Also send a team down on goal difference if they had an easier run in than someone one place above them doesn’t feel very fair at all.  

Need to work on a fair solution. The new season doesn’t have to start in August 

Im all in favour of finishing this season whenever possible, but preferably before the end of November. Then we can have a two week break break before starting 20-21 season in December, and having a 23 game season, ie 50%. Play everyone once, with the home and away fixtures done via a random draw. Everyone knows the rules before it starts. If the remainder of this season, or part of next has to be behind closed doors, so be it, but this season HAS to finish. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Im all in favour of finishing this season whenever possible, but preferably before the end of November. Then we can have a two week break break before starting 20-21 season in December, and having a 23 game season, ie 50%. Play everyone once, with the home and away fixtures done via a random draw. Everyone knows the rules before it starts. If the remainder of this season, or part of next has to be behind closed doors, so be it, but this season HAS to finish. 

Agreed. 50% season is fine as, as you say, everyone knows the rules before it starts. That point is so crucial 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

That’s certainly something that needs to be resolved by an FA/FIFA ruling, yes. 
Unprecedented situations need unprecedented rules to help rectify them. 
If Transfer windows are also delayed, then automatic contract extensions shouldn’t really make that much difference. 

But who pays the wage for an ooc player 

Matt Taylor Bailey Wright OOC 30th June, should we have to pay them till September October.. 

47 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Half seasons will send club bankrupt. Half TV money, sponsorship, hospitality and gate receipts.

How are clubs suppose to survive when they need full everything to pay people.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Matt Taylor Bailey Wright OOC 30th June, should we have to pay them till September October.. 

The clubs have to decide what happens with players out of contract. Do teams renew them monthly? 

We wouldn’t want Wright or Taylor so they would just leave and join a new club I would guess.  Club is getting player for free so there would be demand

4 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Villa have a game in hand. If they win that they are out of the bottom three. What happens then? 

Also send a team down on goal difference if they had an easier run in than someone one place above them doesn’t feel very fair at all.  

Need to work on a fair solution. The new season doesn’t have to start in August 

There is no 'fair' solution. I accept the Villa scenario is a problem but this doesn't affect the Championship where all teams have played the same number of games.

Is it fair that teams and players in good form when the league stopped have to start from scratch effectively?

Is it fair that teams that had tired or injured players now have full, (potentially) fit squads available?

Sometimes things aren't fair. That's life. Matches stopped because they had to. No-one conspired to do this to deny West Brom the title or because Reading had played more home games than Barnsley. It just is what it is.  

Looking forward to the NEW season now. This will coincide with our release from restrictions (hopefully) and will be all the more sweeter for it!

Edited by Scrumpylegs

17 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

The clubs have to decide what happens with players out of contract. Do teams renew them monthly? 

We wouldn’t want Wright or Taylor so they would just leave and join a new club I would guess.  Club is getting player for free so there would be demand

If you can’t register a player till after season ends, what happens to them if season still going in August. 
Why should we or any club subsidise wages so other clubs can finish the season.

Bencovic is I suspect a pretty large wage, if we have to keep paying him to August instead of end of May how is that going to effect our FFP and the following seasons budget.

Personally I just don’t know what the answer is but I’m sure agents and Lawyers are waiting to capitalise.

1 hour ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

That would need sorting. I guess so, yes. 
Or as they are out of contract, perhaps only those can now move..? I don’t know ?‍♂️ but as long as there’s a fair rule across the board...

9 minutes ago, T R said:

The only way to finish the season fairly is to have one player from each club we're playing against to roll a dice and the highest number wins 3 points and the game.  This could be done live on TV.

Does it have to be the same player each week, or can it change match to match so we can all criticise the selection and throwing style? Ha

6 minutes ago, internetjef said:

Does it have to be the same player each week, or can it change match to match so we can all criticise the selection and throwing style? Ha

Any player chosen by the manager.  So it could be Johnston in or out!