IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

On 14/04/2020 at 15:50, bristolcitysweden said:

Garland-Sweden will tell you about it. His home town Borlänge is twin town to Wuhan.

Perhaps he has already told the story. If so my apologies.

How's everyone keeping in the Sweden Branch Tommy?

4 minutes ago, Super said:

Crikey you actually think that? Surely not.

We don't know if there will be a second wave, if that comes around July/August this year then no way will we see crowds in the tens of thousands allowed to congregate, probably until the virus is all but eradicated. Personal opinion is that football itself won't start again until at least August and you won't see crowds for at least another 6 months.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hodge said:

We don't know if there will be a second wave, if that comes around July/August this year then no way will we see crowds in the tens of thousands allowed to congregate, probably until the virus is all but eradicated. Personal opinion is that football itself won't start again until at least August and you won't see crowds for at least another 6 months.

Hope you are wrong. A whole season behind closed doors would be devastating.

Edited by Super

10 minutes ago, Super said:

Hope you are wrong. A whole season behind closed doors would be devastating.

Autumn 21 is being banded about by a lot of health experts at the moment. That includes big gigs, sporting fixtures, festivals etc. 

The reality of that has only just hit me and it’s such a hard one to take. Not just from a footballing point of view, boxing felt like it was coming to an era defining year and now it may not recover for a very long time. Sport all across the board will be hit by this, some may never come back professionally again. 

Edited by Bouncearoundtheground

7 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Autumn 21 is being banded about by a lot of health experts at the moment. That includes big gigs, sporting fixtures, festivals etc. 

The reality of that has only just hit me and it’s such a hard one to take. Not just from a footballing point of view, boxing felt like it was coming to an era defining year and now it may not recover for a very long time. Sport all across the board will be hit by this, some may never come back professionally again. 

If that happens you dread to think how many football clubs will be lost by the end.

17 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

I personally think we will follow the French (our stats/timelines etc are very similar) ; start getting back to normal in 4 weeks time (schools reopening etc), no bars, pubs or restaurants until July and then festivals etc from mid-July.... They clearly don’t want to lose the summer holiday period and so are planning to be pretty much back to normal in three months time....

As others have said, the big unknown is whether there will be a second wave.....

5 minutes ago, Super said:

If that happens you dread to think how many football clubs will be lost by the end.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see almost half our football league gone. People have underestimated what this virus can do from the start, economic ramifications may do more harm than the disease itself. 

Anyone who can afford to buy their food from independent shops, or the odd takeaway Sunday lunch from a local pub, please do so. None of the landlords where I live at the moment think they will survive the year unless the government reaches the conclusion that we have to re-open in the favour of, as horrible as it sounds, damage control. 

8 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

I personally think we will follow the French (our stats/timelines etc are very similar) ; start getting back to normal in 4 weeks time (schools reopening etc), no bars, pubs or restaurants until July and then festivals etc from mid-July.... They clearly don’t want to lose the summer holiday period and so are planning to be pretty much back to normal in three months time....

As others have said, the big unknown is whether there will be a second wave.....

I really hope you are right, however I fear that is just another gross underestimation when it comes to what this virus is capable of. 

The only proper way out I see at this stage is a vaccine. 

Edited by Bouncearoundtheground
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Admin
17 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Surely the Scots should base it on points per game, that's what the non leagues down here are doing. Grossly unfair otherwise.

It would surely have been fairer to scrap the season and have no relegations or promotions, that would only affect any team already assured of either, but there is never going to be an ideal solution that everyone agrees with.

12 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

I really hope you are right, however I fear that is just another gross underestimation when it comes to what this virus is capable of. 

The only proper way out I see at this stage is a vaccine. 

I don’t disagree......

Also see that the Tour de France has just been rearranged to the 31st August too

Hopefully some good will come out of this crisis and football will take a long hard look at itself and how it operates.

All clubs should ban fees to agents ,if players feel the need to employ them they can sort out their commission.

Every club in each division should employ a salary cap based on previous seasons revenue .

Every club should field at least 4 UK players under 23.

All 92 clubs should have equal representation on all decisions and if the PL don't like it they can **** off and join some super European league.  

At the end of all this there will be a big period of reflection in football and society in general and the realisation that things should not return to normal as there are so many issues which require reevaluation

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Hopefully some good will come out of this crisis and football will take a long hard look at itself and how it operates.

All clubs should ban fees to agents ,if players feel the need to employ them they can sort out their commission.

Every club in each division should employ a salary cap based on previous seasons revenue .

All 92 clubs should have equal representation on all decisions and if the PL don't like it they can **** off and join some super European league.  

At the end of all this there will be a big period of reflection in football and society in general and the realisation that things should not return to normal as there are so many issues which require reevaluation

Exactly my feelings AR. Being talking to friends on social media and the one thing to come out of it is the ridiculous amounts of money one man gets for playing a game with a ball for 90 minutes. There will be unemployment and possibly a world recession when this is over so can you honestly pay a footballer £350.000 a week when others will be surviving on a pittance. I am one of those who have had no real interest in PL, Bundesliga etc as Bristol City have been my reason for watching football and even when I see how much some of our players are on , it makes the whole game seem surreal. Of course I want them to play in the Prem but at any cost ??

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

But the PL have already Eff'd Off from the EFL.

They did that back in 92.

37 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

But the PL have already Eff'd Off from the EFL.

They did that back in 92.

This is part of the problem and needs to be addressed, you can't have a 2 tier system where a wealthy elite only consider their own self interests.

Football needs all clubs ,with all the money from TV, it is frankly obscene that it is not shared out on a more equitable basis.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

I genuinely can't see how bars, pubs, restaurants can reopen until a vaccine is issued or enough immunity has built up in the population (a minimum of 60% of the population, and best guess it's about 10% at the moment) and the same goes for sporting/public events. There's little chance of a vaccine or "immunity in the community" happening within six months, let alone three months. 

Restrictions will slowly be lifted but "pretty much back to normal" ain't happening for a long time I fear. Indeed, it's difficult to envisage fan attended football returning again this year.

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I genuinely can't see how bars, pubs, restaurants can reopen until a vaccine is issued or enough immunity has built up in the population (a minimum of 60% of the population, and best guess it's about 10% at the moment) and the same goes for sporting/public events. There's little chance of a vaccine or "immunity in the community" happening within six months, let alone three months. 

Restrictions will slowly be lifted but "pretty much back to normal" ain't happening for a long time I fear. Indeed, it's difficult to envisage fan attended football returning again this year.

Just assume football does restart early June, behind closed doors....I think it will be used as a test case as to whether it’s viable to start the next season in similar setting, both financially and from the game’s integrity too.

Some way to go yet!

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see almost half our football league gone. People have underestimated what this virus can do from the start, economic ramifications may do more harm than the disease itself. 

Anyone who can afford to buy their food from independent shops, or the odd takeaway Sunday lunch from a local pub, please do so. None of the landlords where I live at the moment think they will survive the year unless the government reaches the conclusion that we have to re-open in the favour of, as horrible as it sounds, damage control. 

Couldn't agree more..support the independents ??

34 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

No, that suggestion today really surprised me. Fair enough it might work for the economy but it won't help the NHS or the vulnerable if people start pouring into pubs again.

Football behind closed doors I find more rational, but even then the process would have to be very well executed. 

I would expect work from home to be prevalent until at least the end of the year, with social distancing etiquette in place for the duration. 

I know restaurant and pub owners won't like the sound of that, but I just don't see how sharing those spaces can be justified. 

Sports events, cinema, concerts etc shouldn't have crowds either. And of those, only sport can exist with a crowd.

• Like 1

On 15/04/2020 at 19:43, BS4 on Tour... said:

It is indeed a shambles and a travesty - if The Jags had won their game in hand they’d have potentially been out of the relegation zone with 8 games to go, this ain’t over ...

As I understand it although their legal counsel say they have grounds to take it to the courts  , Partick Thistle are not going to appeal the decision. I suspect Partick  are hoping that there may yet be a restructuring with no relegation this season

Edited by E.G.Red

My wife has fairly severe asthma and was told immediately to stay indoors for 12 weeks. In truth, there’s no strategy at all for the 1.5 million particularly vulnerable people, save wait for a vaccine. And this doesn’t mean until a safe- ish vaccine is discovered. It has to be produced on a truly industrial scale globally. Herd  immunity is an attractive theory, but 70 percent infection/ recovery will cost the country 250, 000 dead and anyway it’s not clear yet that recoverers are immune. The lockdown will be relaxed gradually from May/June and most of us will be able to return to work soon, hoping you have a job to go back to. The economy will really demand that. Small and then big shops will re- open, possibly with some strategic re- lockdowns as time progresses. Not so sure about pubs- we’ll see. But, there is absolutely no prospect at all of the government allowing 50,000 people to cram into a stadium until a vaccine is widely available. Personally, I can’t see football re-starting until August 2021 at the very earliest. Or any big spectator sport. At present, this is deeply shocking as well as heartbreaking. I have brilliant tickets for Euro 2020, which would have been my 13th tournament attended. I will hold over but, honestly, I don’t think it’s going to happen in 2021. In 3 months or so, I think this will seem much more obvious. We will have understood more and mentally adjusted. I think the government knows this now, but understandably they feel the need to break it progressively, allowing people to adjust slowly, lest the lockdown start to unravel. What a bummer, but time will pass and, as the Queen so wisely said, we will meet again. And what a party that will be.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Bedred31 said:

But, there is absolutely no prospect at all of the government allowing 50,000 people to cram into a stadium until a vaccine is widely available. Personally, I can’t see football re-starting until August 2021 at the very earliest

Football will be played behind closed doors well before crowds are allowed in, fans may not like the idea of football where they can't attend but it will bring a greater mental well being for many to be able to watch any form of live sport

3 hours ago, hodge said:

Football will be played behind closed doors well before crowds are allowed in, fans may not like the idea of football where they can't attend but it will bring a greater mental well being for many to be able to watch any form of live sport

I can’t see how any football will be played until the safety of the players can be guaranteed and any likelihood of cross infection from players training with each other, or from opposing team players,  has been  eliminated.  That’s going to happen until there’s a vaccine or a drug which significantly reduces the severity of the virus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Malago said:

I can’t see how any football will be played until the safety of the players can be guaranteed and any likelihood of cross infection from players training with each other, or from opposing team players,  has been  eliminated.  That’s going to happen until there’s a vaccine or a drug which significantly reduces the severity of the virus.

Why can’t players just be tested and if they don’t have it they can play ?