IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

4 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Why can’t players just be tested and if they don’t have it they can play ?

The problem is it only takes one player or club official to test positive and the whole club will have to be put in lockdown for 14 days.  This will lead to the postponement of 2/3 games per club plus the time necessary to prepare for the next game.  In addition, it’s unrealistic to expect a club to come out of lockdown and be expected to play a game the next Saturday or Tuesday.

Given how infectious the virus is it’s likely that every club is going to be put into lockdown at least once, which is going to lead to a chaotic fixture backlog.  

For what purpose?.  To quote Jock Stein,  “Football is nothing without the fans”.

Football survived a 5 year shutdown during the Second World War.  IMO let’s  just except there’s going to be no footie until this horrible mess is sorted out and plan on that basis.

Edited by Malago
  • Like 6
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, RedM said:

Of course, and I was just responding when you said people wouldn’t gather near a game due to there being no pubs or supporters bars. We can agree to differ, I’m happy with that. You say people will stay at home and watch on tv? I say fans will gather, stream on their phones etc and try to be there and live that promotion moment. 

Hopefully sense will prevail and we will never know which one of us is right. ?

Yeah, I know...?

Once the lockdown is lifted, the experts are talking in terms of second and third waves of infection.  One guy even suggests up to 10 waves.

If, as it seems, that having the virus may not provide immunity, then how will it be possible yo develop a vaccine that does.  This whole thing won't be over in June or July, it will go on for a year or possibly years.  Against a backdrop of deaths, destruction, civil unrest and economic collapse, football is going to be the least of our worries for a long time.

The best we can hope for is that relief comes from one of the anti Malaria or Ebola drugs.  In this case, Gilead are reporting very positive results from Remdesivir trials.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Once the lockdown is lifted, the experts are talking in terms of second and third waves of infection.  One guy even suggests up to 10 waves.

If, as it seems, that having the virus may not provide immunity, then how will it be possible yo develop a vaccine that does.  This whole thing won't be over in June or July, it will go on for a year or possibly years.  Against a backdrop of deaths, destruction, civil unrest and economic collapse, football is going to be the least of our worries for a long time.

The best we can hope for is that relief comes from one of the anti Malaria or Ebola drugs.  In this case, Gilead are reporting very positive results from Remdesivir trials.

Read an article about Remdesivir today.  As Wendyredrobin says the results from a non scientific trial look extremely promising.  It doesn’t cure the virus but seems to reduce the severity of the symptoms and reduce the mortality rate significantly.   The results of a world wide scientific study are due out in May.  Could be a game changer.  Fingers crossed.

Edited by Malago
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Malago said:

Read an article about Remdesivir today.  As Wendyredrobin says the results from a non scientific trial look extremely promising.  It doesn’t cure the virus but seems to reduce the severity of the symptoms and reduce the mortality rate significantly.   The results of a world wide scientific study are due out in May.  Could be a game changer.  Fingers crossed.

And the stock market seems to agree.

10 hours ago, Malago said:

I can’t see how any football will be played until the safety of the players can be guaranteed and any likelihood of cross infection from players training with each other, or from opposing team players,  has been  eliminated.  That’s going to happen until there’s a vaccine or a drug which significantly reduces the severity of the virus.

I think there will be distancing rules off the pitch and testing prior to kick off.

6 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Games can’t be played behind closed doors. L1 and L2 sides would not survive, gate receipts is what keeps them afloat. If L1 and L2 can’t play rest of leagues can’t be decided for no relegation promotion. 

Hope we don’t get the situation where L1, L2 and NL are voided but championship and PL where more money is are played behind closed doors.

Think that would be the last straw for me and would stop me watching City. Would just watch more Non league with my son,

I fully expect this to be too difficult for L1 and 2 to resume which makes the Bury and Bolton situations a bit ironic. PL and Champ could resume though.

6 hours ago, weepywall said:

They cant even test key workers adequately at the moment, players will be way down the list of people needing tests and rightly so.

At the moment. That needs to be figured out prior to resumption. 

5 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I can't help but think that watching football with no fans in the stadium is going to be seriously underwhelming. 

It'll be weird and half as entertaining. But better than nowt and a means to an end (literally!)

Will be a bigger shock for Leeds than us to be fair. It's not like the Gate is rocking every week!

3 hours ago, RedM said:

Yup it’s totally missing the point for me. I thought the sport of football was all about entertainment (or not!) and just not the end result of what happens at the end of the season, whether you are promoted, relegated or stay the same. It’s the getting there. 

I'm not disagreeing with you. But the closure of a season is pretty important. We were witnessing history with Liverpool, and plenty of clubs have a huge amount to play for. In the current economic climate, promotion and relegation matters even more. It would be huge for Coventry or Preston. 

Before I right this I will state that I am as conflicted about the place of sport during this situation as anyone is and don't know what the right answer is or really what my opinion is! My view seems to change every day. I miss football, professional cycling and as an amateur triathlete all my races have or probably will be cancelled for the foreseeable future. All these things upset me. 

However I will say that it is interesting how it has taken a crisis in the developed world to make people take the view that there are more important things than sport. There are international crises every single day. Right now east Africa is going to be consumed by a plague of billions of locusts which will wipe out crops for millions. Virtually nobody outside of the affected regions would even know about it let alone do something about it. The suffering of refugees in camps across the world is horrendous. We don't assume that we should stop sport until these issues are solved. I don't know why this is, perhaps because they aren't in front of us every day, or maybe because people don't think there is a solution. 

Perhaps sport helps us forget or ignore these thing by giving us something else to focus on. I include myself in this. Perhaps that is a good thing as there will always be things like this and if you can avoid it people don't want to think about it.

If this is going to be with us for years then are we just going to have to accept that and start things up again as normal with the acceptance that death rates will be higher and life expectancy a bit shorter. We have such developed healthcare systems in the developed world that perseveration of life at all costs seems to be everything. Should we just change our view on this? 

This situation gives you time to think about these things. I don't think my simple mind is really up to the task!

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think there will be distancing rules off the pitch and testing prior to kick off.

I fully expect this to be too difficult for L1 and 2 to resume which makes the Bury and Bolton situations a bit ironic. PL and Champ could resume though.

At the moment. That needs to be figured out prior to resumption. 

It'll be weird and half as entertaining. But better than nowt and a means to an end (literally!)

Will be a bigger shock for Leeds than us to be fair. It's not like the Gate is rocking every week!

I'm not disagreeing with you. But the closure of a season is pretty important. We were witnessing history with Liverpool, and plenty of clubs have a huge amount to play for. In the current economic climate, promotion and relegation matters even more. It would be huge for Coventry or Preston. 

If you don’t resume L1 and L2 how do you decide Promotion/relegation to the championship.

I wouldn’t be fair to just have promotion relegation between PL and championship only.

If the season has to be finished then all leagues need to play not a select few.

48 minutes ago, Keep the Faith said:

Before I right this I will state that I am as conflicted about the place of sport during this situation as anyone is and don't know what the right answer is or really what my opinion is! My view seems to change every day. I miss football, professional cycling and as an amateur triathlete all my races have or probably will be cancelled for the foreseeable future. All these things upset me. 

However I will say that it is interesting how it has taken a crisis in the developed world to make people take the view that there are more important things than sport. There are international crises every single day. Right now east Africa is going to be consumed by a plague of billions of locusts which will wipe out crops for millions. Virtually nobody outside of the affected regions would even know about it let alone do something about it. The suffering of refugees in camps across the world is horrendous. We don't assume that we should stop sport until these issues are solved. I don't know why this is, perhaps because they aren't in front of us every day, or maybe because people don't think there is a solution. 

Perhaps sport helps us forget or ignore these thing by giving us something else to focus on. I include myself in this. Perhaps that is a good thing as there will always be things like this and if you can avoid it people don't want to think about it.

If this is going to be with us for years then are we just going to have to accept that and start things up again as normal with the acceptance that death rates will be higher and life expectancy a bit shorter. We have such developed healthcare systems in the developed world that perseveration of life at all costs seems to be everything. Should we just change our view on this? 

This situation gives you time to think about these things. I don't think my simple mind is really up to the task!

I think you have to remember there is a priority list of concern with one's self at the top, household second, then family, neighbourhood, broader community, and eventually our own nation and continent. Rightly or wrongly, Africa's problems are way down on our list. Death on our doorstep hurts more than death in the Middle East. Covid 19 was barely a concern when it ravaged Wuhan, but now we care about it deeply (so much so, we're willing to adjust our way of life).

Caring about sport is a weird one because it really shouldn't matter at all. I've often forgiven my wife for watching mindless crap on TV because, after all, I'm supposedly a grown man and yet I let my mood be dictated by a bunch of lads in red shirts who kick a ball around every few days. Objectively, it's a total waste of time, but subjectively we feel like Bristol City is integral to our community and our identity. It keeps us ticking over as we spend our time working jobs, many of which seem equally meaningless at times.

To bring those two paragraphs together, I should be far more concerned with the big problems in the world than whether Lee Johnson has what it takes to take City forward, and yet far more of my thinking time goes on the latter. And that feels perfectly normal.

I don't think there's any shame in lamenting the loss of football or sport in general. It's the kind of distraction we on this forum could all do with so that we don't spend all of our time worrying about family and friends and watching the death toll continue to rise.

• Like 4

5599 new cases and 847 deaths so despite closing down almost everything socially and work related there is absolutely no sign of any slow down in the number of either. I don't know about you but I'm beginning to lose hope things will get better anytime soon, when are we going to see any benefit from the sacrifice we are all making?

25 minutes ago, Red Billy said:

So looks like the season could start back without us in the stands.  Do you think that will help or hinder our players? 

I don’t think it’s anywhere near happening. The statement has been put out with the possibility and many seem to have taken it as a done deal. I think it’s far from it personally.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, pillred said:

5599 new cases and 847 deaths so despite closing down almost everything socially and work related there is absolutely no sign of any slow down in the number of either. I don't know about you but I'm beginning to lose hope things will get better anytime soon, when are we going to see any benefit from the sacrifice we are all making?

Comfort yourself with the fact that someone is probably alive today because of your actions. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, pillred said:

Hey pillred - I know exactly what you mean. It feels bleak. But I think, hard as it is to believe, we're already seeing massive benefit from the lockdown. The numbers of deaths were doubling every 3 or 4 days not so long ago and that's stopped. On the 8th April there were were 938 UK coronavirus deaths. If the death rate had doubled even twice in the past 9 days since then - as it likely would have if we hadn't locked down - we'd be at nearly 4,000 deaths a day!! And still rising. Instead deaths per day is slowly, far far too slowly, drifting down.

Keep the faith mate - our sacrifice is working. (And I'm embarrassed at how little sacrifice I'm making when I say that, compared to others who have lost jobs or who are facing horrible risks on the front line of this battle.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

People need to take a long look at themselves if they think football is anywhere near getting back to being played.

i wouldn’t be surprised if there is no football this year, even behind closed doors. 

I don’t think their will be any fans entering stadiums at least for this year, but I don’t see with rigorous testing on players and coaches why games could not be played behind closed doors...which I would take right now, will be a boost to the country to at least be able to watch some football.

Maybe I’m a dreamer as John Lennon once said 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

Home games might as well have no fans anyway seeing we lose them all 

All is a slight exaggeration though I admit it can feel like that if you pick the wrong ones to attend, personally I had been pretty lucky up until it was called off.