IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

2 hours ago, Robin Wood said:

Never mind having already renewed for next season I would expect a full refund, as I doubt anybody will be allowed into games for a long time yet

Not likely as at some stage, the next season will be played - personally, I’m happy for the club to keep my money until “next” season starts 

• Like 4

On 25/02/2020 at 22:22, And Its Smith said:

Well that was always going to be the case. If it is getting better already in China then it’s not the virus people are talking about it being. If that’s correct then the football season won’t be cancelled. Which is why I said it was ridiculous. Guess time will tell.  As I’ve said before, I’m talking to people in the thick of it regularly. Another call 6:30am tomorrow. 

I am sure there are different bits of advice etc but all I can do is take the people I trust and have worked with for over 10 years at face value 

You are ‘talking to people in the thick of it regularly’ - so, what are your ‘contacts’ telling you now then? 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Loosey Boy said:

Not likely as at some stage, the next season will be played - personally, I’m happy for the club to keep my money until “next” season starts 

I wouldn't bet on there being a 2020/21 season at all, if I'm honest. If you mean "next" as in could be in 2 or 3 years time though then fair enough 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

10 hours ago, mozo said:

I think there will be distancing rules off the pitch and testing prior to kick off.

I fully expect this to be too difficult for L1 and 2 to resume which makes the Bury and Bolton situations a bit ironic. PL and Champ could resume though.

At the moment. That needs to be figured out prior to resumption. 

It'll be weird and half as entertaining. But better than nowt and a means to an end (literally!)

Will be a bigger shock for Leeds than us to be fair. It's not like the Gate is rocking every week!

I'm not disagreeing with you. But the closure of a season is pretty important. We were witnessing history with Liverpool, and plenty of clubs have a huge amount to play for. In the current economic climate, promotion and relegation matters even more. It would be huge for Coventry or Preston. 

If we were top of the Championship, 10 points clear, nobody would be saying we should just void the season.  It has to be finished before you start the next season IMO, yes there will be difficult hurdles to overcome in order to make this happen, but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, pillred said:

5599 new cases and 847 deaths so despite closing down almost everything socially and work related there is absolutely no sign of any slow down in the number of either. I don't know about you but I'm beginning to lose hope things will get better anytime soon, when are we going to see any benefit from the sacrifice we are all making?

Sorry but you are wrong with this statement, without the lockdown measures the number of deaths would have been in the thousands a day by now, as number of deaths was doubling every 2/3 days, this has actually levelled off, and also they have kept the number of new cases on or around 5k per day which means the NHS is supposedly able to cope with the numbers.  I think it will drop off steadily in the. Injunction weeks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

It’s not deadly to healthy people.

Are you on the wind up?  Healthy people can pass it on to the not so healthy people who can then die.  Have you not watched any of the briefings or read anything on this?

If I get the virus but don’t worry as I’m healthy, I then carry on as normal and pass it to my Gran, she dies.  That’s the facts.

They have estimated that 7,500 people have died in Care Homes of this already which hasn’t even been reported in the figures.  That means more than 22,000 and counting have died within weeks.

Taking aside the fact that the virus can be spread to vulnerable people, the disease isn't deadly to healthy young people. The number of cases are extremely rare where it is deadly to that bracket of people.

The strategy can't be to stay in lockdown until there's a vaccine, it's always been said its in order to stop the nhs becoming overwhelmed. That to me indicates that at a point in time it will be down to the public to make their own decision on whether they want to stay in self isolation, albeit there will certainly be some restrictions in place I would have thought. 

Footballers I strongly doubt will be , or ever would have been, risking their lives by playing football any more than taking a decision to get on a bus or a plane to travel to a game in normal times. 

All that being said football being played behind closed doors will fall into a bracket that will be within guidelines of acceptability as the nhs will be able to cope. I can see it being the case in the next month or two.

The real problem lies in public gatherings because that is far more likely to be deemed not necessary as it's getting high numbers of people in one place in close proximity to one another. I think from a sporting perspective it places far more doubt on next season at lower levels because it surely can't be sustainable to play behind closed doors and expect anywhere near the sort or income required. But then that is more a case of clubs folding with suppirting than being able to physically stage a behind closed doors game. 

At the top level I certainly am not going to be paying for sky sports if they are showing behind closed doors games as it's fairly boring to watch, but I think a lot of people still would, but you'll likely be in a situation where premier league football can continue but professional football below that is not sustainable until such a time that high numbers of people can enter a ground. For me the value of watching city on a stream versus actually being at the ground is much less, I wouldn't pay 4/5/600 quid for a season of that willingly and I really do think that if I can't get to watch the remaining games of this season at the ground I'd want some money back. 

I can conceivably see a situation where the 2020/21 premier league is viable but all other levels are not, certainly at August/September time. 

From a sporting perspective I think that will be terrible as it creates a closed shop. I also think UEFA have acted terribly, rearranging the euros with a fixed date, telling leagues if you don't finish your season then we'll ban you from our competitions. They are only trying to protect their competitions rather than acting as a governing body and supporting every level of football in Europe instead of putting massive road blocks in the way of national bodies and leagues.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I wouldn't bet on there being a 2020/21 season at all, if I'm honest. If you mean "next" as in could be in 2 or 3 years time though then fair enough 

Someone else who has a bit of common sense. There’s no way football is going to be being played with fans this year and probably well into next.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

You will get free streaming of those matches on Robins TV. There won't be any refunds imo.

Yep, grant anyone with an active season card a robins tv subscription. Ramp up the delivery platform to cope with the numbers - remember the debacle that was the game v Derby in the US? The City steam couldn't cope, but the Debry one could. Maybe give the away team the multi-angle feed. I'll take this over not seeing it live. Still seems way off though.

11 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Agreed. We have no idea yet about how we get out of lockdown. Not enough testing happening and no guarantee that even if you have antibodies that you are truly immune. Even playing behind closed doors is challenging (250 people or so to put on a televised match, including players and officials) and that’s without idiots turning up at the ground, which we know some will.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Sorry but you are wrong with this statement, without the lockdown measures the number of deaths would have been in the thousands a day by now, as number of deaths was doubling every 2/3 days, this has actually levelled off, and also they have kept the number of new cases on or around 5k per day which means the NHS is supposedly able to cope with the numbers.  I think it will drop off steadily in the. Injunction weeks

It's not the number of deaths so much as the number of new cases despite as I said the almost total suspension of our social and economic activity plus social distancing the number of new cases actually rose in the 24 hours preceding Friday to 5699, the day before Thursday 16th the new case total was virtually identical to what it had been over 2 weeks previously so the lockdown measures have NOT reduced these new case figures, that is what to me is the most alarming statistic I'm glad the NHS will be able to cope with 5,000 new cases but again when are we going to see some reduction? surely by now over 4 weeks into lockdown that should have happened.  

6 minutes ago, pillred said:

It's not the number of deaths so much as the number of new cases despite as I said the almost total suspension of our social and economic activity plus social distancing the number of new cases actually rose in the 24 hours preceding Friday to 5699, the day before Thursday 16th the new case total was virtually identical to what it had been over 2 weeks previously so the lockdown measures have NOT reduced these new case figures, that is what to me is the most alarming statistic I'm glad the NHS will be able to cope with 5,000 new cases but again when are we going to see some reduction? surely by now over 4 weeks into lockdown that should have happened.  

There will be more cases for nearly 20k being tested now instead of 10k per day. Same number of positives is a good sign for more people being tested.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kit said:

Taking aside the fact that the virus can be spread to vulnerable people, the disease isn't deadly to healthy young people. The number of cases are extremely rare where it is deadly to that bracket of people.

The strategy can't be to stay in lockdown until there's a vaccine, it's always been said its in order to stop the nhs becoming overwhelmed. That to me indicates that at a point in time it will be down to the public to make their own decision on whether they want to stay in self isolation, albeit there will certainly be some restrictions in place I would have thought. 

Footballers I strongly doubt will be , or ever would have been, risking their lives by playing football any more than taking a decision to get on a bus or a plane to travel to a game in normal times. 

All that being said football being played behind closed doors will fall into a bracket that will be within guidelines of acceptability as the nhs will be able to cope. I can see it being the case in the next month or two.

The real problem lies in public gatherings because that is far more likely to be deemed not necessary as it's getting high numbers of people in one place in close proximity to one another. I think from a sporting perspective it places far more doubt on next season at lower levels because it surely can't be sustainable to play behind closed doors and expect anywhere near the sort or income required. But then that is more a case of clubs folding with suppirting than being able to physically stage a behind closed doors game. 

At the top level I certainly am not going to be paying for sky sports if they are showing behind closed doors games as it's fairly boring to watch, but I think a lot of people still would, but you'll likely be in a situation where premier league football can continue but professional football below that is not sustainable until such a time that high numbers of people can enter a ground. For me the value of watching city on a stream versus actually being at the ground is much less, I wouldn't pay 4/5/600 quid for a season of that willingly and I really do think that if I can't get to watch the remaining games of this season at the ground I'd want some money back. 

I can conceivably see a situation where the 2020/21 premier league is viable but all other levels are not, certainly at August/September time. 

From a sporting perspective I think that will be terrible as it creates a closed shop. I also think UEFA have acted terribly, rearranging the euros with a fixed date, telling leagues if you don't finish your season then we'll ban you from our competitions. They are only trying to protect their competitions rather than acting as a governing body and supporting every level of football in Europe instead of putting massive road blocks in the way of national bodies and leagues.

Disagree some what in regards to only the Prem. You will find that the lower leagues will go ahead before the Prem. The lower leagues where attendances 3K TO 12k would be easy to manage where prem with 30K plus gates is not going to happen unless behind close doors to 2021.

Do agree on the vaccine though.

The EUROS have not a fixed date to commence. The date is a preliminary date to discuss possible options on a way forward to plan.

By the way if you haven’t got SKY Sports you should.

Where are you getting your info from?

21 hours ago, Keep the Faith said:

Before I right this I will state that I am as conflicted about the place of sport during this situation as anyone is and don't know what the right answer is or really what my opinion is! My view seems to change every day. I miss football, professional cycling and as an amateur triathlete all my races have or probably will be cancelled for the foreseeable future. All these things upset me. 

However I will say that it is interesting how it has taken a crisis in the developed world to make people take the view that there are more important things than sport. There are international crises every single day. Right now east Africa is going to be consumed by a plague of billions of locusts which will wipe out crops for millions. Virtually nobody outside of the affected regions would even know about it let alone do something about it. The suffering of refugees in camps across the world is horrendous. We don't assume that we should stop sport until these issues are solved. I don't know why this is, perhaps because they aren't in front of us every day, or maybe because people don't think there is a solution. 

Perhaps sport helps us forget or ignore these thing by giving us something else to focus on. I include myself in this. Perhaps that is a good thing as there will always be things like this and if you can avoid it people don't want to think about it.

If this is going to be with us for years then are we just going to have to accept that and start things up again as normal with the acceptance that death rates will be higher and life expectancy a bit shorter. We have such developed healthcare systems in the developed world that perseveration of life at all costs seems to be everything. Should we just change our view on this? 

This situation gives you time to think about these things. I don't think my simple mind is really up to the task!

That is not a perhaps. Humans, or most of us are not wired to be constantly confined. After we meet physiological and safety needs it is essential, for humans, beyond the superhumans to have other needs met beyond the physiological, or it can mentally and physically damage us after relatively short terms. Sport can be a need, so can being creative etc.

We all have differing connections with life. For some sport is part of oneself. It is a very significant part of peoples defining inter relations with the world and their motivational systems. 

23 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

Bar the healthy people dying?

Do we actually know if any/many healthy people are dying? Not sure we know much for sure at the moment.  

Anyone said to have died with any underlying conditions could well have the word ‘known’ added before underlying to add accuracy 

Edited by And Its Smith

15 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Do we actually know if any/many healthy people are dying? Not sure we know much for sure at the moment.  

Anyone said to have died with any underlying conditions could well have the word ‘known’ added before underlying to add accuracy 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/apr/17/no-underlying-conditions-coronavirus-deaths-english-hospitals

9 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Although we can’t be exact at this stage regarding the mortality rate for those that catch this virus, let’s be clear it’s more infectious and more lethal than influenza. The lack of illness in most children remains a mystery, but to say that it doesn’t kill young people, who have no known underlying illness, is wrong.

The mortality rate increases with age but it’s not zero for those in their 20s and 30s. And having seen how sick it can make fit males in their 40s and 50s, (I have colleagues who have tested positive) do not underestimate the effect that this virus could have had without the lockdown. And even with it, parts of the health service have been stretched in a completely unprecedented way. London and Birmingham may have taken the main brunt, but even areas near us such as Gloucestershire have been very badly affected (Cheltenham festival anyone?).

The most optimistic realistic estimates are that only 10% of those infected have been hospitalised, which means that by the end of this peak, the total number infected might be as many as 2 million of us. However out of a population of around 60 million that still leaves a lot of people at risk, and nowhere near achieving the fabled herd immunity. Without a vaccine, it could take years to achieve that, and there would be many more deaths in the meantime, even with a 1% mortality rate.