IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

24 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Well to someone who had lost their job and had no means of income , I'm pretty sure they might care. 

I didn't think of it like that to be fair. That said even if I was in that position ( hell my wife is so things are tough) the thought of a refund didn't even cross my mind.

Edited by BCFC Grim
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, S25loyal said:

Someone else who has a bit of common sense. There’s no way football is going to be being played with fans this year and probably well into next.

What if this vaccine currently being developed and tested next week actually works? you can't make sweeping statements such as there will be no football played in front of fans this year or well into next you simply have no idea and are just giving your opinion you may turn out to be right let's hope not.

3 hours ago, pillred said:

It's not the number of deaths so much as the number of new cases despite as I said the almost total suspension of our social and economic activity plus social distancing the number of new cases actually rose in the 24 hours preceding Friday to 5699, the day before Thursday 16th the new case total was virtually identical to what it had been over 2 weeks previously so the lockdown measures have NOT reduced these new case figures, that is what to me is the most alarming statistic I'm glad the NHS will be able to cope with 5,000 new cases but again when are we going to see some reduction? surely by now over 4 weeks into lockdown that should have happened.  

You are forgetting the rate of testing, we are testing double the amount of people than we were two weeks ago, and the rates of infection have stayed flat.  If the lockdown hadn’t worked then you would have seen double the infections.  The measures are working, the stats are readily available to prove this https://coronavstats.co.uk/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Do we actually know if any/many healthy people are dying? Not sure we know much for sure at the moment.  

Anyone said to have died with any underlying conditions could well have the word ‘known’ added before underlying to add accuracy 

The young lad from Birmingham? He had no known underlying health to the families knowledge, there was the teenager in Belgium I think too. Those are just the ones that made the news. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BCFC Grim said:

Do people actually care? I can safely say it's not even crossed my mind. Straight to the NHS if it even gets to that point.

With people giving so much money to NHS charities at the moment, I wonder what the impact is on other charities?

Given that as an entity, the NHS shouldn't (if it correctly funded by taxation) require any additional funding it's both great that people are giving to them, but I hope other charities aren't suffering as a result.

45 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Exactly. Didn’t mean he didn’t have any 

And unless the family agree for his confidential medical records to be public, you won't know.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

With people giving so much money to NHS charities at the moment, I wonder what the impact is on other charities?

Given that as an entity, the NHS shouldn't (if it correctly funded by taxation) require any additional funding it's both great that people are giving to them, but I hope other charities aren't suffering as a result.

And unless the family agree for his confidential medical records to be public, you won't know.

They are quite badly. All their shops are closed and fund-raising events are cancelled. The government did come up with a support package a week or two ago but I doubt it will be enough to save all of them. I`m still supporting the ones I do but may not be able to indefinitely.

14 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

The effect is disastrous. Am told that charitable giving is generally down by around 40%. I am currently involved trying to raise money for Alzhzeimers through a golf club I am a member of and even gone to the extent of creating a JustGiving page. Have been talking to them a fair bit of late and their income is massively down and it is having an effect. It is almost impossible to even try for anything other than the NHS. Frustrating beyond belief. 

Edited by Calculus
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Calculus said:

The effect is disastrous. Am told that charitable giving is generally down by around 40%. I am currently involved trying to raise money for Alzhzeimers through a golf club I am a member of and even gone to the extent of creating a JustGiving page. Have been talking to them a fair bit of late and their income is massively down and it is having an effect. It is almost impossible to even try for anything other than the NHS. Frustrating beyond belief. 

I`m surprised it`s as `little` as that - I thought it would be much more. Charities don`t tend to benefit from any of the measures in place to help businesses either with most staff being volunteers.

They are always forgotten to a large extent when something like this happens sadly - not really the same I know but when Radio Devon had a year long fund raising campaign down here to buy a new air ambulance a few years back donations to other charities fell significantly and they reckon it was largely due to the publicity that was getting in the media.

5 hours ago, S25loyal said:

Bar the healthy people dying?

Vast majority are people with underlying health conditions. (I’m in this high risk category btw)

There’s a very small amount of healthy people dying, but from what I’ve read it’s rare.

Edited by Riaz

In the paper today it said EFL are considering playing all remaining EFL matches at 10 to 15 Championship grounds with 3 to 4 matches being played each day. I would have thought if that happens we would be one of those since we're the only club in this area and we have an advanced pitch capable of supporting that number of games, could mean the Gas playing their remaining fixtures at AG? 

10 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

In the paper today it said EFL are considering playing all remaining EFL matches at 10 to 15 Championship grounds with 3 to 4 matches being played each day. I would have thought if that happens we would be one of those since we're the only club in this area and we have an advanced pitch capable of supporting that number of games, could mean the Gas playing their remaining fixtures at AG? 

I would imagine it would be behind closed doors in which care I doubt if the players would care less , all they would want to do is finish the remaining season.

1 hour ago, sticks 1969 said:

I would imagine it would be behind closed doors in which care I doubt if the players would care less , all they would want to do is finish the remaining season.

I'm sure it would be behind closed doors, it would make it easier to televise the games if there are only a few venues

12 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

How would it work, we couldn’t play all our games at AG that gives us a big advantage. 
Do championship sides play home and away and L1 and L2 play at neutral grounds.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52339058

According to this UEFA are going to ok leagues finishing early.

But haven’t they moved CL final to end of August. So would that mean they are expecting leagues to finish. Couldn’t have CL still going whilst clubs still in it buy and sell players for following season.

23 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52339058

According to this UEFA are going to ok leagues finishing early.

But haven’t they moved CL final to end of August. So would that mean they are expecting leagues to finish. Couldn’t have CL still going whilst clubs still in it buy and sell players for following season.

I mean, Chelsea have already announced Ziyech months ago, not much difference.

This just reeks of self interest though, probably a case of if the season restarts but has to stop again and they find themselves in the drop zone at that point.

2 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

How would it work, we couldn’t play all our games at AG that gives us a big advantage. 
Do championship sides play home and away and L1 and L2 play at neutral grounds.

I don't think they've discussed it in detail yet but I imagine that if there's no fans there's not much advantage in being at home although I'm sure we'd have to play some games away from AG

The team I feel most sorry for is Lazio, first real chance of a scudetto in forever, top scorer and arguably b est goalscorer in the world (maybe on par with Lewandowski) and now if the season is witten off they'll be second.

1 point behind Juve and undefeated in practically 14 games in the league (beating Juventus when they played - although that might've been in the cup). 

I hop they decide on some sort of behind closed doors mini play off for those two as I would love to see Lazio win the league

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

The more I think about this, the more it makes sense not at AG though but at the Millennium. That would cover `home` games for Swansea, Cardiff, Us, the s*gs, Newport, Cheltenham, FGR, Swindon - even Plymouth and Exeter at a push. The stadium would only need one lot of staffing - security, medical, catering and the like and , unlike AG, the Millennium (I think) has a hotel on site. Sky would only need to set up once as well and could cover something like fifty games. Also, from what I remember about the layout, keeping fans away from the stadium would be a lot easier - certainly more so than AG.