IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

£9m per week from usual revenue due to the lockdown?

Kinnell!!

Could it be Arsenal? The Emirates is a significant source of revenue. Both matchday, corporate and all other associated. All out of action- read that matchday revenue 25% of their turnover a while ago.

Jesus wept- 9 million a week!  Can I change my guess to Spurs. 

3 hours ago, ITK..... said:

I reckon we will play better at home with no fans there. Players will prefer it ! Ashton gate is got to be one of the worse for getting on the back of it's own players or almost wanting them to make mistakes just so fans can say I told you so. 

You are confusing this forum for the crowd at the ground. And you don't go to other grounds. It would appear. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/04/19/denmarks-fc-midtjylland-plan-drive-in-experience-fans-league/?

Interesting- don't know how feasible it'd be with social distancing but an interesting idea all the same- if it's one per car maybe or? Possibly the curve in Denmark different to here as well.

Oxford still got that car park at one end?!

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Oxford still got that car park at one end?!

kassam-stadium-oxford-united-car-park.jp

Think it might...

Social distancing notwithstanding, they could, with permission obvs, be quite enterprising and stream home and away games that way- free entry to season ticket holders, a modest fee to others.

On days they aren't playing, open it up to other local clubs with streams of their side- like an open air drive through sports bar. For a price of course in this case.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/04/19/denmarks-fc-midtjylland-plan-drive-in-experience-fans-league/?

Interesting- don't know how feasible it'd be with social distancing but an interesting idea all the same- if it's one per car maybe or? Possibly the curve in Denmark different to here as well.

We could learn from Rovers.

They had a drive in cinema at the Mem and amazingly, they screened Home Alone.

How apt.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Credit where it's due, 30% isn't small.

Everyone at the club is taking a hit- all in it together- well done. Been sceptical before so I'm fronting up and happy to praise now. Does take character, 30% isn't small.

It's a deferal though isn't it? I take it to mean then still get the money but at a later date. For example when we start again they will get 130% of wages for 3 months or so.

@JerrySLO

Hi Jerry,

I hope you and the family are well, I have tagged you in twice into the CV19 thread but I’m guessing you haven’t seen it.

Seeing as Steve has come out and said the club are gearing up to play behinds closed doors etc , what are the clubs plans going forward for current season ticket holders?

refund on existing games,

given the right to watch it for free

etc

What is the likelihood on refunds if next season doesn’t kick off within a sensible time period etc, or even refunds for people who no longer feel it is safe for them to leave the house into mass gatherings?

Personally I don’t think we will have anybody at the gate for a good while eg a year onwards etc.

thanks 

Edited by S25loyal

5 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Where do you think our games will be played my thoughts are. It will have to be at grounds that are not situated near towns centers, problems with safe distancing as fans will gather .  Close to motorways and safe hotels. At a ground from a different division. So here are my starters.

Milton Keynes 

Northampton.

Colchester's is just off the A12, and there are a few localish, although still about a 10 minute or so drive away. Not a great deal within a quick walking distance though.

With that in mind somewhere like Carrow Road would be the ideal setup, with a hotel right next to the ground. Down side is the town centre being about a 5 minute walk away.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Taz said:

Colchester's is just off the A12, and there are a few localish, although still about a 10 minute or so drive away. Not a great deal within a quick walking distance though.

With that in mind somewhere like Carrow Road would be the ideal setup, with a hotel right next to the ground. Down side is the town centre being about a 5 minute walk away.

Just off the top of my head, Reading, Bolton and Derby are all on industrial estates/business parks and fairly accessible from the major road network and Walsall is right next to the motorway.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Simon Jordan thinks fans may not be able to return to grounds for 12 months.

Listening to Talksport catchup for the SL stuff and yeah 12 months.

A large part of football will die.  Clubs cannot survive a whole year with no income; no business can. 

Edited by cityloyal473

2 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

A large part of football will die.  Clubs cannot survive a whole year with no income; no business can. 

It will I think sadly. What I was thinking about the other day though was how many clubs in League 1 & League 2 actually make a profit (or even break even) on a matchday when you factor in security, casual staff costs, programme printing, catering and all the rest of it?

Take a club like Crawley as an example - their average home crowd is a smidgeon over 2k but how much does it cost them to put a game on against what they make from it? Provided they get to carry on receiving the solidarity payments the impact might not be as bad as feared. OK, they may have to play a lot of kids and old stagers but a lot of sides will be in the same boat. If, like us, they have a stadium that is used for lots of other things too they might be able to survive.

5 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Read something earlier that suggested Championship and Premiership to play until the end of the season, with no relegation to League One from the Championship.

Leagues one and two to call it a day now with no promotion or relegation.

Not sure how I feel about that.

If that happens then that’s me finished with watching City. 
Basically the big boys play there games and keep there money. 
Smaller clubs can be left to rot whilst the big boys make more money.

You either void all the leagues or none.What about NL don’t they deserve a chance of promotion like Championship sides,  Can’t have one rule for 1 league and  different for the rest. Everyone deserves a chance of Promotion if some are doing it.

if City, Preston and Brentford were top 3 they would void the season now. Because WBA, Leeds,Fulham, Forest are top 4 they will play the season out.

Think it will  be non league for me next season whenever that happens.

• Like 1

• Admin
5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

£9m per week from usual revenue due to the lockdown?

Kinnell!!

Could it be Arsenal? The Emirates is a significant source of revenue. Both matchday, corporate and all other associated. All out of action- read that matchday revenue 25% of their turnover a while ago.

Talksport surmised that it could be Manchester United as they earn large chunks of revenue from advertising at games 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Big C said:

I'll be very surprised if you get an answer to this anytime soon with so many things still up in the air and to be decided

This. I don`t know why some people keep demanding answers on a daily basis when there aren`t any. It`s getting like the endless `why haven`t we signed anyone yet?` threads we get during the transfer windows.

Once decisions have been made by the EFL, we will be informed and the options explored by the club.

• Like 6

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

This. I don`t know why some people keep demanding answers on a daily basis when there aren`t any. It`s getting like the endless `why haven`t we signed anyone yet?` threads we get during the transfer windows.

Once decisions have been made by the EFL, we will be informed and the options explored by the club.

Exactly my thoughts and exactly why I've merged it into this thread. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

When football returns behind closed doors clubs will start to get some income through tv money if Sky can show a lot more games and ifollow viewings, it won't be as near as normal but there will be some income and as said just before no cost of stewards etc. 

I can see an element of Darragh McAnthony's plan being used, clubs receive all of the money from year 5 of the sky deal now and pay it back over the next 3 seasons increasing in amount as fans return to the stadiums.

55 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Smaller clubs can be left to rot whilst the big boys make more money.

Its not that they'd be left to rot, its a case they'd get their end of season money from the league for their position to help their financial position to pay players/staff

4 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

You are confusing this forum for the crowd at the ground. And you don't go to other grounds. It would appear. 

It's more a case of what grounds I haven't been to actually...only 7 left to do. Also watch England home and away( although not as much as I like in last year). So I'm definitely well experienced with knowing when and where I see/ feel a hostile atmosphere. Been city season ticket holders since 1989. Only missed 2002 season due to working abroad. 

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Well, that confused me, the thread being merged while I was posting!

You need to change the title though mate.

Thanks 

I do that so many times lol

It confused me too, I thought there were only comments on that thread 

20 minutes ago, phantom said:

Talksport surmised that it could be Manchester United as they earn large chunks of revenue from advertising at games 

That's a good shout too. Arsenal were already loss making before this at least last season though so I did wonder- think they lost something like £33m in Arsenal Holdings last season which is mental considering their size, reached a European (ok, Europa) final, finished 5th with the associated prize money etc...was thinking existing losses + shortfall may mean the mooted losses now. Whereas Man Utd tend to make a profit so a bigger fall.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Obviously we would all much rather have the football to go to but no doubt refunds will help some fans who have been particularly hard hit by the virus struggles. 

I'm sure City will follow suit when the time is right and offer refunds/a credit for next season 

- https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52356666