IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Socking as some of the amounts might seem, the role also has to be taken into consideration.  I know I had a bit of a joke with Scotty Murray on Twitter last night re this, but he is more than a kit-man....he’s an ambassador for the club too.  No idea what he’s on, but he should be on more than the person who works at a launderette.

Digressing slightly, remember Howard from the Halifax adverts.  He was initially and employee of Halifax, but he ended up leaving Halifax, because they couldn’t pay him enough within the grade / salary band to justify his added value and media commitments ....so he went freelance.  True story.

Yeah Scotty is a great example, given his personality as well, how much is it worth having someone like him around as a morale booster for the lads etc, he's always out on the pitch pre-match as well

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, hodge said:

I don't like how it tries to shock people by the wages of the backroom staff, I'd rather see backroom staff on a good wage ensuring you have the backroom staff you want rather than players getting an extra couple of grand a week. The physio on almost £200,000 a year for example, have a quality medical team who can get your players back on the pitch asap would surely be a great use of money. You get what you pay for with backroom staff.

More of a general point really, further showing that the model at that level has significant shortcomings. 100%+ of turnover on wages is a nonsense, end of.

Do we think the Mail running it is responsible journalism or? 

Put it this way, it's clearly not intended for public consumption. I'm on the fence. Think I'm happy about increased transparency however. Just in general I mean.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

• Admin
1 hour ago, daored said:

French football season cancelled - how long is it going to be discussed before they realise the English season has to be cancelled 

The big difference in our Country is the obscene amounts of money tied up in TV contracts not just with Sky but around the World

1 hour ago, Vincent Vega said:

My opinion is it already has. City are refunding us already ?

It certainly makes you wonder

58 minutes ago, hodge said:

Its another government decision as opposed to governing body decision. Last we've heard BoJo is quite keen for sport to resume in a safe (as possible) environment as a boost to public morale.

Spot on, this wasn't a decision by the FFA

• Like 2

I’ve been a firm advocate for finishing this season, whenever that is, and starting the next season, when we are closer to a vaccine or when we know more about The virus. I’ve changed my mind: this season should be cancelled with immediate effect and a new season start afresh whenever it’s safe (and by this I’m thinking next year).  Football is insignificant in the big scheme of things and should remain there. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DSTAF said:

I’ve been a firm advocate for finishing this season, whenever that is, and starting the next season, when we are closer to a vaccine or when we know more about The virus. I’ve changed my mind: this season should be cancelled with immediate effect and a new season start afresh whenever it’s safe (and by this I’m thinking next year).  Football is insignificant in the big scheme of things and should remain there. 

Sport is needed to lift morale though. If in  a few months time most other professions are back at work why should sport be any different as long as it’s behind closed doors with plenty of testing carried out? You simply can’t stop the world from turning completely for 18 months or however long it takes to get a vaccine.

The high risk category folks need to be shielded but the rest of us will have to start living semi normal lives again. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Sport is needed to lift morale though. If in  a few months time most other professions are back at work why should sport be any different as long as it’s behind closed doors with plenty of testing carried out? You simply can’t stop the world from turning completely for 18 months or however long it takes to get a vaccine.

The high risk category folks need to be shielded but the rest of us will have to start living semi normal lives again. 

Is watching twenty two blokes kick a ball around an empty stadium, making it more akin to a training match, really be of interest to people and raise their morale? Won't be to me, that's for sure. I find the idea putting me off football to be honest. Every game will feel and look like after the lord mayors show.

• Like 1

Seems we're NOT topping up the 20%.

Even Chansiri is reported to be doing that and I've quite rightly criticised him for his general actions- not a great look for sure...

Given that SL is based where he is, with the tax status he has- good journo could run an interesting story in a national here.

It's complex though, of course.

French football league will just be the start..sensible move, end the season now and start a new one when it is safe, starting to think we won’t be seeing football next season either, until vaccines, antibody tests, drugs are proven to control this, football really isn’t important right now 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

French football league will just be the start..sensible move, end the season now and start a new one when it is safe, starting to think we won’t be seeing football next season either, until vaccines, antibody tests, drugs are proven to control this, football really isn’t important right now 

£750m in repayments to broadcasters? On paper anyway.

I agree that football can pale into insignificance in this context, but it's a problem for clubs and broadcasters alike,

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Is watching twenty two blokes kick a ball around an empty stadium, making it more akin to a training match, really be of interest to people and raise their morale? Won't be to me, that's for sure. I find the idea putting me off football to be honest. Every game will feel and look like after the lord mayors show.

We’re all different mate. It won’t be as good as what we are used to but i would rather that than nothing at all. Yes, it would raise my morale for sure. There will be plenty of people who agree with you and plenty who agree with me. But my point is valid in that if every other profession is back at work then why shouldn’t sportspeople be as well. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

£750m in repayments to broadcasters? On paper anyway.

I agree that football can pale into insignificance in this context, but it's a problem for clubs and broadcasters alike,

Good point, but their will have to be compromise surely...can not see fans going into stadiums for a long time so everyone will have to work together to keep the game alive when it eventually returns, or maybe I’m being too romantic 

4 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Good point, but their will have to be compromise surely...can not see fans going into stadiums for a long time so everyone will have to work together to keep the game alive when it eventually returns, or maybe I’m being too romantic 

Well, I don't necessarily disagree, but just I noticed that some foreign broadcaster were already looking at ways of claw back or with-holding bits of TV cash for the PL a few weeks ago. That could have been averted or it could be in deep freeze, on hold based on how things will play out- we don't know tbh.

Another thing I would say is that even if the broadcasters were happy to foregoe, will their revenue have taken such a hit that some recompense necessary- not wanted but necessary? I see that in Germany there is payment in installments of TV rights and the third instalment has been delayed, frozen or partially. In France, some were with-held- Broadcasters themselves may actively need the money or some of it back to keep trading, though maybe I'm over drastic?

Overall though yeah, you'd hope some kind of compromise is found or possible.

9 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

We’re all different mate. It won’t be as good as what we are used to but i would rather that than nothing at all. Yes, it would raise my morale for sure. There will be plenty of people who agree with you and plenty who agree with me. But my point is valid in that if every other profession is back at work then why shouldn’t sportspeople be as well. 

Fair enough. 

But it seems to me that there is no need to rush back football, yet many seem to want to do that.  Other professions mostly provide a useful service; football, at the end of the day, is just a source of entertainment. I'd argue that reopening a hairdressers or getting Mc-bloody-Donalds open, is a higher concern than getting football going again. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Fair enough. 

But it seems to me that there is no need to rush back football, yet many seem to want to do that.  Other professions mostly provide a useful service; football, at the end of the day, is just a source of entertainment. I'd argue that reopening a hairdressers or getting Mc-bloody-Donalds open, is a higher concern than getting football going again. 

I would go so far to say due to the close physical contact spotting shouting etc etc all those things where droplets from the mouth spread.. any team sport that involves close physical proximity and contact should be the very last "business" that should be going back to "normal" and that is without crowds.

Testing is fine up to the point it is taken.. you could be positive a few hours later.. it would be pretty obscene the amount of texting kits needed each week to facilitate football going back to business 

• Like 1

On 23/02/2020 at 10:24, And Its Smith said:

Absolutely not. Ridiculous suggestion. Barely a case in this country and China getting to grips with it from what I’ve heard. 

“Ridiculous suggestion” that this season may be postponed or cancelled - and you are the guy with ‘multiple contacts in China’ - yep you’ve really had your finger on the pulse with this one ... obvious from day one that this was a serious situation, yet people who have lots of ‘work contacts’ in China told us it was nothing to worry about ... well, it IS something to worry about and ill informed people who spouted shite from the early days of this crisis should be embarrassed ...

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

“Ridiculous suggestion” that this season may be postponed or cancelled - and you are the guy with ‘multiple contacts in China’ - yep you’ve really had your finger on the pulse with this one ... obvious from day one that this was a serious situation, yet people who have lots of ‘work contacts’ in China told us it was nothing to worry about ... well, it IS something to worry about and ill informed people who spouted shite from the early days of this crisis should be embarrassed ...

Guess who’s back, back again, stalkers back, tell your friends!

Why do you put ‘work contacts’ in brackets?  Do you not think they exist.

I think I’ve explained the situation before but heck I will repeat it for you.  Two things: 1. The people I work with in China advised how it was going over there and I saw how quickly factories reopened. I didn’t allow for this government.  2.  The football season hasn’t been cancelled yet so your gloating is premature. 

Just thought of a third point. To be gleeful and smug (whether premature or not) whilst people are dying is in very poor taste mate. 

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well, I don't necessarily disagree, but just I noticed that some foreign broadcaster were already looking at ways of claw back or with-holding bits of TV cash for the PL a few weeks ago. That could have been averted or it could be in deep freeze, on hold based on how things will play out- we don't know tbh.

Another thing I would say is that even if the broadcasters were happy to foregoe, will their revenue have taken such a hit that some recompense necessary- not wanted but necessary? I see that in Germany there is payment in installments of TV rights and the third instalment has been delayed, frozen or partially. In France, some were with-held- Broadcasters themselves may actively need the money or some of it back to keep trading, though maybe I'm over drastic?

Overall though yeah, you'd hope some kind of compromise is found or possible.

Talk that rather than clawback, Sky / BT could look to add an extra year (protecting them from having to negotiate / tender for another big tv deal for another year) or request additional tv games for free over the rest of the deal

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Talk that rather than clawback, Sky / BT could look to add an extra year (protecting them from having to negotiate / tender for another big tv deal for another year) or request additional tv games for free over the rest of the deal

Yeah that could certainly be a solution. I'm just wondering if it's even, even if the will is there, fully feasible for them from a cashflow POV. They have their own costs too and the (fully understandable) cancellation or pause of subscriptions will take a toll.

Maybe they would look to clawback less than they're legally entitled to, but enough so they themselves don't hit financial problems if necessary?

• Like 1

I see football in France has been suspended even if it would be behind closed doors, yet for some reason people in this country are desperate to watch it and the clubs are money driven instead of trying to save people’s lives.  

Even FIFA’s chief doctor is advising against it 

Fifa's chief doctor has warned against restarting the interrupted 2019-20 campaign and suggested governing bodies prepare for action next season instead.

"There is a risk and it is not a risk that has small consequences," continued D'Hooghe.

"It can have consequences of life and death and that is why I am so careful and I ask everyone to be very careful before deciding to play again.

"I speak as a medical doctor, I don't have to speak as an organiser of matches, but for the moment from my medical standpoint I would be very sceptical."

Edited by S25loyal

I need something else to think about other than this virus.

One solution could be to start games just as Robert Peston is about to start asking his question at the daily new conference. You could fit in a 90 minute game of football, then turn back over just as he’s finishing his question..... wouldn’t have missed much either.

9 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

I think I’ve explained the situation before but heck I will repeat it for you.  Two things: 1. The people I work with in China advised how it was going over there and I saw how quickly factories reopened. I didn’t allow for this government.  2.  The football season hasn’t been cancelled yet so your gloating is premature. 

Just thought of a third point. To be gleeful and smug (whether premature or not) whilst people are dying is in very poor taste mate. 

You do seem to defend the Chinese and slate your own country.  It's as if China is blameless and we started this pandemic according to your posts. Do you not have any national pride at all ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

You do seem to defend the Chinese and slate your own country.  It's as if China is blameless and we started this pandemic according to your posts. Do you not have any national pride at all ?

So many errors here. 
1. I didn’t defend the Chinese. I said they got factories open and life back to relative normality so I thought the UK government would do the same. Who could have guessed the government would get it so wrong? 

2. I have not slated my own country. I’ve slated my country’s government. There is a difference 

3. Whether I have national pride or not is completely irrelevant.  

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

So many errors here. 
1. I didn’t defend the Chinese. I said they got factories open and life back to relative normality so I thought the UK government would do the same. Who could have guessed the government would get it so wrong? 

2. I have not slated my own country. I’ve slated my country’s government. There is a difference 

3. Whether I have national pride or not is completely irrelevant.  

No answers here either.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Nothing about my post in response to yours was ‘gleeful and smug’ - there is anything but glee around at the moment believe me. My sister works for the NHS so I’m sure you can understand that your assessment of my mood is way off the mark.

Lots of people (like you) pretty much dismissed this virus and the seriousness of the situation right from the start. You were very, very wrong and you can’t accept that. I didn’t put ‘work contacts’ in brackets, I put those words in inverted commas to indicate that they were your words not mine. I’m not saying you don’t have ‘work contacts’ who tell you about the situation in other countries, I just think you were wrong to pretty much write off this virus as trivial a couple of months ago. Also bringing politics into it isn’t in the best taste at the moment.

I apologise for the tone of my previous post - but I can assure you I am certainly not ‘gleeful and smug’ about this pandemic - anything but. I’ve seen how it is affecting people and it’s dreadful. 

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’m not ‘gleeful and smug’ - there is anything but glee around at the moment believe me. My sister works for the NHS so I’m sure you can understand that your assessment of my mood is way off the mark.

Lots of people (like you) pretty much dismissed this virus and the seriousness of the situation right from the start. You were very, very wrong and you can’t accept that. I didn’t put ‘work contacts’ in brackets, I put those words in inverted commas to indicate that they were your words not mine. I’m not saying you don’t have ‘work contacts’ who tell you about the situation in other countries, I just think you were wrong to pretty much write off this virus as trivial a couple of months ago. Also bringing politics into it isn’t in the best taste at the moment.

I apologise for the tone of my previous post - but I can assure you I am certainly not ‘gleeful and smug’ about this pandemic - anything but. I’ve seen how it is affecting people and it’s dreadful. 

Nothing wrong with bringing politics into it if politics is the reason we are where we are.  Whether I was wrong or not remains to be seen but also isn’t really relevant. 

I hope your sister is able to stay safe.  

I thought I would care as to how football seasons were resolved but couldn’t give a damn anymore.  Will be interesting to see if this changes people’s love of sport long term.