IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Nothing wrong with bringing politics into it if politics is the reason we are where we are.  Whether I was wrong or not remains to be seen but also isn’t really relevant. 

I hope your sister is able to stay safe.  

I thought I would care as to how football seasons were resolved but couldn’t give a damn anymore.  Will be interesting to see if this changes people’s love of sport long term. 

I must admit, I haven’t missed football as much as I thought I would - this dreadful situation has seen a lot of priorities being reassessed I think. Who knows what it will be like if and when we get back to some sort of normality. 

You’ve said on here before that China was able to open its factories etc relatively quickly and you seem to be criticising our government for not following suit - what would you have done differently? Do you think all our businesses should be back to pre-pandemic operating schedules right now? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Betty Swallocks said:

I need something else to think about other than this virus.

One solution could be to start games just as Robert Peston is about to start asking his question at the daily new conference. You could fit in a 90 minute game of football, then turn back over just as he’s finishing his question..... wouldn’t have missed much either.

You’d easily fit in extra time and pens as well ...

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I must admit, I haven’t missed football as much as I thought I would - this dreadful situation has seen a lot of priorities being reassessed I think. Who knows what it will be like if and when we get back to some sort of normality. 

You’ve said on here before that China was able to open its factories etc relatively quickly and you seem to be criticising our government for not following suit - what would you have done differently? Do you think all our businesses should be back to pre-pandemic operating schedules right now? 

I am not criticising our government for not getting things open but I am criticising them for acting too slowly from the off. If they had acted quicker in all areas (PPI, testing, stopping people coming in) then things would be a lot better now. 

Edited by And Its Smith
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I am not criticising our government for not getting things open but I am criticising them for acting too slowly from the off. If they had acted quicker in all areas (PPI, testing, stopping people coming in) then things would be a lot better now. 

My kid's games were cancelled 3 weeks before the government made a move.

Surely the government understand how crowded Championship games are. Whereas some junior league has the sense to cancel when only 40 or so people turn up to watch?

Madness

13 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Pretty sure China is the reason we are where we are, not politics.

The reason we have Coronavirus in this country ultimately goes back to it being started and spread from China, agreed.  The reason we have death numbers as high as they are is for several reasons, many of them stemming from political / government decision / indecision and historical choices meaning a lack of preparation for a major pandemic.

I don’t get the constant jibes of “stop bringing politics into it, it’s not the time” when someone legitimately challenges the government on something they’ve done, said they were gonna do, etc.

I couldn’t care less who is in charge.  If it was Corbyn and Starmer playing this the same way as Johnson, I’d be just as critical (I was during their election campaign).  I see deceit, lack of transparency, failure to answer decent questions properly (in amongst too many shit questions admittedly), Inconsistent comparisons with other countries to suit agenda.  This is a government treating a large chunk of the country as idiots.  The press / media isn’t helping either.

Look at Cuomo in New York.  It’s a disaster over there numbers wise, yet he’s leading his State through integrity, trust, transparency, empathy...treating them as adults, telling them from his heart.

This country is massively divided, and I feel lost, the odd one out, sat somewhere in the middle.

10 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’ve missed it, but not as much as I thought.  Sky news 501 on more than Sky Sports.  Don’t watch re-runs of football games dominating the tv schedule, but quite like watching golf and cricket re-runs.

I haven’t been out since March 5th, apart from one trip to Budgens / Petrol Station - to get served through the late-night hatch the week after when we ran out of milk and bread.

Settled into a new schedule, of getting the kids up, helping with home schooling, watching the daily briefing, FaceTiming parents, virtual catch up with mates.  Tonight is family quiz.  Even my cousin who lives in the States is joining in.  I’m quiz master tonight....been preparing my picture quiz, rather than posting on OTIB.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Betty Swallocks said:

I need something else to think about other than this virus.

One solution could be to start games just as Robert Peston is about to start asking his question at the daily new conference. You could fit in a 90 minute game of football, then turn back over just as he’s finishing his question..... wouldn’t have missed much either.

I’d like football back too, but I certainly got stuff to think about other than the virus.

I would not want anyone,at any level, to think about playing football until there is no chance of catching the virus from teammates or opponents. Safety first. Resumption cannot be done to satisfy tv companies, sponsors or to ease people’s boredom. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

19 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Apparently it will take 100,000 tests for this to happen. 

If this happens , **** football in this country - greed is making this happen. The argument that this will improve people’s morale is bollocks. What will improve morale is working on getting everyone back to normal life safely not playing sport. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, RedM said:

I’d like football back too, but I certainly got stuff to think about other than the virus.

I would not want anyone,at any level, to think about playing football until there is no chance of catching the virus from teammates or opponents. Safety first. Resumption cannot be done to satisfy tv companies, sponsors or to ease people’s boredom. 

Safety of course comes first but that TV issue will crop up and need resolving one way or another, whether now or down the line.

27 minutes ago, RedM said:

I get what you’re saying.  Is the difference that football players can’t socially distance on the pitch, unlike many of us working / shopping who can stay 2m apart?  Because today and post lockdown, we can still catch it, people are still catching it.

Resumption will undoubtably be driven by £s, far more than it will be ease people’s boredom.  The deferral of games at the mo’ is putting many clubs at serious risk of not even getting as far as resuming!

If it’s possible / safe to resume and complete by say end of Aug, I say go for it.

If it’s not, I’d say it’s because the country is still suffering massively and football should be way down the list of priorities.

I think it’s a bit of a barometer, if football is good to start, it’s because everything else is also better too.  I guess a better way of looking at it is that football shouldn’t be an exception.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Very British, look like we are going to have the highest death toll in Europe, despite having a chance to learn from Italy, so we blame the Chinese!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

You do seem to defend the Chinese and slate your own country.  It's as if China is blameless and we started this pandemic according to your posts. Do you not have any national pride at all ?

Hence why he is the only person I have ever put on ignore, it's bliss not having to read the crap he comes out with.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, daored said:

If this happens , **** football in this country - greed is making this happen. The argument that this will improve people’s morale is bollocks. What will improve morale is working on getting everyone back to normal life safely not playing sport. 

Agree. Football shouldn't even be considering restarting in the current climate even if it is behind closed doors as that alone will put players/officials and people there at risk, which just in the name of getting the season finished is completely wrong.  The outcome of this season is irrelevant now. 

If even one person gets it and dies as a direct result of the season re-starting behind closed doors - would that have been worth it? Could anyone justify someones life as less important than the need to finish the season? 

Sporting events at this time should stay canned end of.

• Flames 1

37 minutes ago, Super said:

Not completely true. The Government are pushing for Football to come back.

Seeing as most of Europe has cancelled football and our government is pushing for it to come back, while on Track for the worst death rate in Europe I think that is telling. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

If even one person gets it and dies as a direct result of the season re-starting behind closed doors

If that was to happen that I would hope the  family would sue all those involved in the decision. The 20 PL teams, the TV companies and the British government who are being reported as wanting this to happen to boast morale 

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

An actual lockdown for a start,

prepping PPE when it was clear it would spread,

not allowing mass events like Cheltenham 

I mean that’s just 3 out of many, shops like Greggs McDonald’s all the diy chains are starting to reopen, we arnt on a lockdown at all. 

Edited by S25loyal
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

The reason we have Coronavirus in this country ultimately goes back to it being started and spread from China, agreed.  The reason we have death numbers as high as they are is for several reasons, many of them stemming from political / government decision / indecision and historical choices meaning a lack of preparation for a major pandemic.

I don’t get the constant jibes of “stop bringing politics into it, it’s not the time” when someone legitimately challenges the government on something they’ve done, said they were gonna do, etc.

I couldn’t care less who is in charge.  If it was Corbyn and Starmer playing this the same way as Johnson, I’d be just as critical (I was during their election campaign).  I see deceit, lack of transparency, failure to answer decent questions properly (in amongst too many shit questions admittedly), Inconsistent comparisons with other countries to suit agenda.  This is a government treating a large chunk of the country as idiots.  The press / media isn’t helping either.

Look at Cuomo in New York.  It’s a disaster over there numbers wise, yet he’s leading his State through integrity, trust, transparency, empathy...treating them as adults, telling them from his heart.

This country is massively divided, and I feel lost, the odd one out, sat somewhere in the middle.

I’ve missed it, but not as much as I thought.  Sky news 501 on more than Sky Sports.  Don’t watch re-runs of football games dominating the tv schedule, but quite like watching golf and cricket re-runs.

I haven’t been out since March 5th, apart from one trip to Budgens / Petrol Station - to get served through the late-night hatch the week after when we ran out of milk and bread.

Settled into a new schedule, of getting the kids up, helping with home schooling, watching the daily briefing, FaceTiming parents, virtual catch up with mates.  Tonight is family quiz.  Even my cousin who lives in the States is joining in.  I’m quiz master tonight....been preparing my picture quiz, rather than posting on OTIB.

Stay safe everyone.

This guy has been incredible. The most inspiring and competent politician in this sorry mess on both sides of the pond by far.  Don’t know his story but surely he has to consider running next time out (too late for this year obviously). 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, daored said:

If that was to happen that I would hope the  family would sue all those involved in the decision. The 20 PL teams, the TV companies and the British government who are being reported as wanting this to happen to boast morale 

Absolutely, but as authorities are in a position where they know the current situation already and know the likely consequences of restarting it (therefore cannot use the usual post excuse of 'isn't hindsite great' or 'we didn't know this would happen'), there shouldn't even be discussions. A decision should have already been made to cancel it - it's easy. End the season and the leagues as it finished weekes ago. Not a difficult decision to make. You do the best you can to protect lives. That's the priority - end of.

If authorities restart sport just to 'boost morale' when nothing has changed, e.g daily death rates are still high and there's still no vaccine ready then that would be criminal.

People need to wake up and listen to the stories and reports directly from people on the frontline and ask them if sporting events should resume just to boost moral. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I get what you’re saying.  Is the difference that football players can’t socially distance on the pitch, unlike many of us working / shopping who can stay 2m apart?  Because today and post lockdown, we can still catch it, people are still catching it.

Resumption will undoubtably be driven by £s, far more than it will be ease people’s boredom.  The deferral of games at the mo’ is putting many clubs at serious risk of not even getting as far as resuming!

If it’s possible / safe to resume and complete by say end of Aug, I say go for it.

If it’s not, I’d say it’s because the country is still suffering massively and football should be way down the list of priorities.

I think it’s a bit of a barometer, if football is good to start, it’s because everything else is also better too.  I guess a better way of looking at it is that football shouldn’t be an exception.

I agree with a lot you have said. I guess it’s the distancing thing, it’s a contact sport. Even with tests it’s a risk. Would they have to wear masks and have arms and legs fully covered for example, wear gloves? What would the reaction be is a player thought he had come into contact with saliva or sweat from another player, some act now as they have been shot at the slightest touch?

I guess another concern would be for me is the fact that if football returns,in whatever form, it’s giving the green light for those who aren’t best at observing social distancing/staying in etc at the moment. They will see ‘trivial’ football resuming and will want to resume their lifestyles and contacts. I think things are too finely balanced to take unnecessary gambles at the moment.

I appreciate the clubs are businesses, they have been allowed to sell Season Tickets etc before this all happened, they have money banked unlike most businesses. They are also sat on a lot of soon to be almost worthless stock, they could have sold a lot more of that online to generate income, unlike some businesses. No doubt they have sold wedding packages months or even years ahead, granted some will have to be refunded, but not all.

Yes their costs are high, but so is what they generate too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daored said:

Can’t entirely agree with you on that one.  I think resuming sport is massively important in terms of morale.  At the start of the Second World War they closed theatres and cinemas, but realised that the negative effect on morale was so bad that they were quickly reopened.  The media might like to promote the idea that many people are having a lovely time doing daft things in their garden and applauding the NHS,  but I think what people really need are things that provide entertainment in their lives, none more so than sport.  Otherwise I can easily see the lockdown being broken, simply out of frustration and boredom.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Can’t entirely agree with you on that one.  I think resuming sport is massively important in terms of morale.  At the start of the Second World War they closed theatres and cinemas, but realised that the negative effect on morale was so bad that they were quickly reopened.  The media might like to promote the idea that many people are having a lovely time doing daft things in their garden and applauding the NHS,  but I think what people really need are things that provide entertainment in their lives, none more so than sport.  Otherwise I can easily see the lockdown being broken, simply out of frustration and boredom.

Around the time of the war I believe people used the cinema for the newsreels, there was no 24 /7 rolling news then, no on demand wall to wall movies etc. People were of low moral or scared as they didn’t have the news. They said good bye to their loved ones who went off to fight in the war, not knowing where they were in the world or if they would see them again. They maybe got the odd letter weeks out of date or a dreaded telegram, no skype, teams, zoom mobile phone video calls.

People are finding it hard to last 5 weeks in lockdown, with phones, food deliveries, laptops, netflicks etc. What the hell must it have been like for in a World War lasting 5 years.

Some people ( not necessarily you @The Dolman Pragmatist) should man the fluck up. 

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1