IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

25 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Can’t entirely agree with you on that one.  I think resuming sport is massively important in terms of morale.  At the start of the Second World War they closed theatres and cinemas, but realised that the negative effect on morale was so bad that they were quickly reopened.  The media might like to promote the idea that many people are having a lovely time doing daft things in their garden and applauding the NHS,  but I think what people really need are things that provide entertainment in their lives, none more so than sport.  Otherwise I can easily see the lockdown being broken, simply out of frustration and boredom.

The lockdown is already being broken as the British public are pathetic, it hasn’t even been a proper lockdown. 

Take Spain For example, kids are finally allowed out the house for the first time for 6 weeks for a massive hour a day. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

47 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

People need to wake up and listen to the stories and reports directly from people on the frontline and ask them if sporting events should resume just to boost moral. 

This...

They are literally performing heroics on a daily basic,,, incredible bravery.

And the 'top brass are shit scared of the still anonymous wide spread testing for NHS staff for the obvious reasons....

Dented moral needs the backseat.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

The lockdown is already being broken as the British public are pathetic, it hasn’t even been a proper lockdown.

Questionable. Debatable.

Did Government predictions, modelling, not anticipate 20% non compliance? Was quite a bit less lower IIRC.

Granted, this may have changed and developed further.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Questionable. Debatable.

Did Government predictions, modelling, not anticipate 20% non compliance? Was quite a bit less lower IIRC.

Granted, this may have changed and developed further.

Questionable? People are going to the range to buy hot tubs, Greggs is reopening. None of that is actually needed is it?

This is no way an actual lockdown. 

• Flames 1

6 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

Questionable? People are going to the range to buy hot tubs, Greggs is reopening. None of that is actually needed is it?

This is no way an actual lockdown. 

Compliance may have dipped in the last week or two.

Nonetheless, a couple of weeks ago, I recall compliance exceeded that expected by the modelling and by a decent amount too. 

Think a lot of people don't like or trust various institutions. Could it be playing a part?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Compliance may have dipped in the last week or two.

Nonetheless, a couple of weeks ago, I recall compliance exceeded that expected by the modelling and by a decent amount too. 

Think a lot of people don't like or trust various institutions. Could it be playing a part?

I personally think it’s a complete lack of respect for the government , police etc, crossed with a Chronic under funding of the police/NHS. 

If you took the Spanish police and army, stuck them over here and let people carry on buying hot tubs they would soon be screaming human rights when they are getting hit With a baton. 

The worst in this country is a telling off and a £30 fine 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

I personally think it’s a complete lack of respect for the government , police etc, crossed with a Chronic under funding of the police/NHS. 

If you took the Spanish police and army, stuck them over here and let people carry on buying hot tubs they would soon be screaming human rights when they are getting hit With a baton. 

The worst in this country is a telling off and a £30 fine 

Only one of those 3 I personally unequivocally respect is the NHS. Do the other 2 as Institutions merit unequivocal respect? It's debatable. Certainly an underfunding of these, no doubt. 

https://www.edelman.co.uk/research/edelman-trust-barometer-2018-uk-findings

It's interesting to see. When it goes up here, it goes up. Tbh most of the public seem favourable towards the lockdown anyway.

I wonder how long the general public will support the lockdown at large though. If people come to overwhelmingly oppose it, we'll have problems!

Personally, I think that the one thing this useless Government has done well is allowing exercise. Most have been sensible, and the mental and physical benefits far outweigh any risk. The people committing serious breaches would have done this anyway, as we don’t have the resource to police it.

Some shops are finding creative ways around the lockdown mainly as there is absolutely no leadership, no plan, endless spin and contradictory messages.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S25loyal said:

An actual lockdown for a start,

prepping PPE when it was clear it would spread,

not allowing mass events like Cheltenham 

I mean that’s just 3 out of many, shops like Greggs McDonald’s all the diy chains are starting to reopen, we arnt on a lockdown at all. 

ONE McDonald’s outlet will be used for operational tests later this week, it is closed to the public. All McDonald’s stores will remain closed. Greggs is going to conduct a limited, controlled trial in just 20 of its 2000+ stores from 4 May - so all Greggs stores are currently closed.

I agree though that our lockdown hasn’t been as strict as it could have been and adherence doesn’t seem to be have been a total success - too many selfish idiots have flaunted the guidelines and enjoyed the recent good weather as they believe they are above all rules and regulations ...

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

ONE McDonald’s outlet will be used for operational tests later this week, it is closed to the public. All McDonald’s stores will remain closed. Greggs is going to conduct a limited, controlled trial in just 20 of its 2000+ stores from 4 May - so all Greggs stores are currently closed.

I agree though that our lockdown hasn’t been as strict as it could have been and adherence doesn’t seem to be have been a total success - too many selfish idiots have flaunted the guidelines and enjoyed the recent good weather as they believe they are above all rules and regulations ...

Generally if Institutions act in a way that erodes respect over the years, that can feed through in some unfortunate yet unexpected ways.

People flouting lockdown could be one part of it.

16 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’m not exonerating anyone - just giving up to date facts as to the current situation with regards to McDonald’s and Greggs..

That bit was factual sure.

However- and tbh I've amended my initial view a bit.

Well worth noting that Institutions are respected a lot less than they once were. Decline in deference may play a part here. Maybe it's a red herring?

I'm also unconvinced the public have been failing to comply to the levels stated. Government modelling assumed a 20% disobedience ratio but it's been quite a bit better.

Last week or two may have differed granted.

18 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Have the general public been that bad with lockdown rules?  Impossible to say For sure but I reckon over 95% of people are following rules. It was never going to be 100%

No, never gonna be 100%.

Forgetting coronavirus for a sec.....95% of the public (I suspect more) are decent folk, let down by the minority.  So if the same 95% are staying indoors, the 5% appear amplified during this epidemic.  I think coronavirus may have highlighted a group of the population who appear decent enough generally, but are inherently selfish.  That selfishness has shown their true colours, toilet roll hoarding, flouting social distancing, etc.

Personally I don’t think Coronavirus has changed many people, we are just seeing amplifications of both good and bad behaviour....and perhaps a better insight into what some people are really like.

There are some people I know who I thought were knobs (gut feel)....now I know they are ???

Sorry, the above makes me sound like a Saint. ?

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 3

One of the main issues with me is and it sums how pathetic it is all is,

With football , blokes who want to have a punch up etc end up getting whacked by the police no questions asked 

A killer pandemic is happening and people are buying cushions from b and m with nothing being done. 

17 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

One of the main issues with me is and it sums how pathetic it is all is,

With football , blokes who want to have a punch up etc end up getting whacked by the police no questions asked 

A killer pandemic is happening and people are buying cushions from b and m with nothing being done. 

Police have to tread a bit of a careful line here. Idiots will be idiots but overkill with the population at large...

See Derbyshire police- they got some heavy criticism for use of drones etc to monitor population. 

Because if they are using overkill now, people will remember that. Butterfly effect?

Not saying they don't have rights and responsibility with regards monitoring and enforcement where necessary, but get it wrong and they might find people are less forthcoming about crime in the future. Just one theory.

Still that aside, certain things that are not closed probably should be.

54 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Have the general public been that bad with lockdown rules?  Impossible to say For sure but I reckon over 95% of people are following rules. It was never going to be 100%

I do think if this "lockdown" goes until the end of May which looks likely people are going to start to flout the rules. They have to relax a few things.

5 minutes ago, Super said:

I do think if this "lockdown" goes until the end of May which looks likely people are going to start to flout the rules. They have to relax a few things.

The government is going to have to be very careful deciding when to end the lockdown; get this wrong and it could end up being one step forwards, one hundred steps back.  I get the impression that the feeling amongst the public is we are getting to the end of our tether so do something, anything to give us hope.  Dangerous, dangerous time for the government.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Super said:

Glad you put lockdown in quotation marks (I didn’t !) as this is not a true lockdown. Wonder if they will regret calling it a lockdown if it has to get harsher and actually become one .

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Glad you put lockdown in quotation marks (I didn’t !) as this is not a true lockdown. Wonder if they will regret calling it a lockdown if it has to get harsher and actually become one .

Car usage starting to rise....suspect some getting bored.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Will go up, more shops are opening and more businesses are now starting up. People need to get to work and will go to the shops if they open.

Open nothing and no one will go out, open stores businesses and traffic will increase.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, daored said:

ESPN reporting there is a growing number of players who don’t want to play. Not sure how that will play out contractually 

About time clubs took back some power, globally.

Hopefully we can see a bit of a reset in the medium term.

Interesting line- could down the line apply to clubs who furlough as well?

This is applicable to Championship clubs too.

Unless of course I've misread and this is what it means by PAYE deferral?

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m a self employed sole trader. The roads have been much busier the past 5 days or so. I’m not sure it was a good idea for the police to relax rules. I drove along Gloucester rd Saturday morning, I was surprised how many people were out and about. It’s not a proper lockdown is it?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Agreed, this isn’t a lockdown for the thousands ( millions?) of us who have been forced to work all the way through.

The factory I work at isn’t making essential items, even though they have given us a card saying we are, if we are stopped by the Police ?‍♂️
Basically I self isolate for 16 hours a day, then go to work for 8 hours and play virus Russian roulette with 50 other people.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

I don't think it was ever intended to be a 'lockdown'. And secretly I think they've been unimpressed with the extent it's been observed. The media forced the government into doing something that I don't believe they really believed in. Herd immunity was their goal (and still is) hence a pretty weak lockdown.

• Hmmm 1

I don`t know whether it`s just that Devon & Cornwall are less populated generally but I haven`t seen an increase in traffic on the roads or people out and about at all when I`ve been out at work.

I did one of my two days a week`s work yesterday and one thing I did notice was hardly any police cars around (I only saw one, on an overbridge over the M5) - due to the weather changing I reckon as it chucked it down all day. Normally I see about ten in various spots.

46 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

About time clubs took back some power, globally.

Hopefully we can see a bit of a reset in the medium term.

Interesting line- could down the line apply to clubs who furlough as well?

This is applicable to Championship clubs too.

Unless of course I've misread and this is what it means by PAYE deferral?

Interesting from Matt Law. Hmrc better update the terms of CJRS quickly!!!!

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Interesting from Matt Law. Hmrc better update the terms of CJRS quickly!!!!

It is.

I think if they (HMRC) and the Treasury could do it again, there would be a variety of terms and stipulations. CJRS was/is the only real answer and it's a good scheme, but loopholes and inconsistencies inevitable.

What I'm trying to ascertain, is what exactly it means by PAYE payments. Does it mean PAYE from players deferring wages, PAYE from reduction of tax take e.g, 80% salary, so tax etc adjusted accordingly or is it referring to any club who utilised furlough?